ADVERTISEMENT

Comebakatz.. Gators?

Kybluedude

All-SEC
Nov 19, 2005
We took 2 from them in May. 2 games went extra innings.

What do you think tonight? Who’s on the mound? Niman? Who matches up well? Do or die. Got to start hitting throughout the lineup. Too many give away outs. Even bunting has been a problem. Have to execute. Defense has been good.

No time to dwell on last night. Gators have the tradition and probably more experience in this type of situation. Also the big bomber but we took them earlier so no intimidation.

We’ve got to get our swagger back. Magical season needs to continue.

PS - if I remember right I thought that was strike 3 rather than ball 4 on the lo walk in the 6th. That one call could have changed things. I think it rattled MM.

However Prager was dominant. AA. Nobody was beating him. Accept it was his night and put it in the rear view.

Last edited:
I don't know what choice UK has but to go Niman. We have not really had anyone else be a starter for us. Smith hasn't thrown at all in a while, so it makes me nervous that he might still be banged up. If he's healthy you could give him a shot and save Niman. Lafferty hasn't thrown in what seems like ages, and was never used out of the pen, so I have to imagine he's hurt.

I am hoping that Niman suffered from just being worn out. He's now had a real long rest having not pitched a game since the regionals. So, maybe his arm and his accuracy are back to being right. I put him in and expect to get 3 out of him and I have someone basically ready to go at the first sign of trouble. A good thing is that he really got a but susceptible to the long ball. That park with the wind in isn't going to give up many, so he can be a bit more free throwing and have a mistake or two and it likely ends up a fly ball out instead of a run.

Florida is playing scrappy baseball right now though. I don't know who they will go with. We could see Cag again, but the fact that he started game 1 and basically got pulled immediately makes you wonder if they think he might not be real healthy to go on the mound. However, it also feels like they are taking a bit of an all staff type approach to every game. Generally their staff is not great with a 6.09 ERA. So, they might realize they can't rely on any one starter and they're just trying to find the right guys. So far their games have been relatively low scoring so this approach has worked. Wouldn't surprise me to see them do something similar and just try to get a few innings out of multiple guys.

For us... we have to get Waldy and Lopez hitting. They are struggling badly and don't look particular close. Burkes hit the ball on the nose a time or two last night, but he needs to see one splash and maybe he can get things turned around. Right now we have had relied on the unlikely hero types while other teams are getting massive games from their studs. Christian Moore having a cycle and Cag having at least one home run and the kid from NC State hitting a tying one against us and another against Florida yesterday. It is great to have those others step up, but they need to do it in conjunction with the studs and right now our studs are not stepping up.

Reactions: RogerIndy
@CatchFire posted the NCAA tournament stats. I looked at those and I believe that Lopez on the year was only striking out in about 12 percent of his ABs, but during the NCAA he's striking out 29 percent of the time.

I’d highly doubt Cags pitching - his velocity was way down looked like he may have been experiencing some discomfort as well.

Waldy needs to get going- simply put his energy makes the lineup go. We’ve been winning, but on lower scoring totals. With out the top 2 pitchers going for us, we will need 7 + runs

I don't know what choice UK has but to go Niman. We have not really had anyone else be a starter for us. Smith hasn't thrown at all in a while, so it makes me nervous that he might still be banged up. If he's healthy you could give him a shot and save Niman. Lafferty hasn't thrown in what seems like ages, and was never used out of the pen, so I have to imagine he's hurt.

I am hoping that Niman suffered from just being worn out. He's now had a real long rest having not pitched a game since the regionals. So, maybe his arm and his accuracy are back to being right. I put him in and expect to get 3 out of him and I have someone basically ready to go at the first sign of trouble. A good thing is that he really got a but susceptible to the long ball. That park with the wind in isn't going to give up many, so he can be a bit more free throwing and have a mistake or two and it likely ends up a fly ball out instead of a run.

Florida is playing scrappy baseball right now though. I don't know who they will go with. We could see Cag again, but the fact that he started game 1 and basically got pulled immediately makes you wonder if they think he might not be real healthy to go on the mound. However, it also feels like they are taking a bit of an all staff type approach to every game. Generally their staff is not great with a 6.09 ERA. So, they might realize they can't rely on any one starter and they're just trying to find the right guys. So far their games have been relatively low scoring so this approach has worked. Wouldn't surprise me to see them do something similar and just try to get a few innings out of multiple guys.

For us... we have to get Waldy and Lopez hitting. They are struggling badly and don't look particular close. Burkes hit the ball on the nose a time or two last night, but he needs to see one splash and maybe he can get things turned around. Right now we have had relied on the unlikely hero types while other teams are getting massive games from their studs. Christian Moore having a cycle and Cag having at least one home run and the kid from NC State hitting a tying one against us and another against Florida yesterday. It is great to have those others step up, but they need to do it in conjunction with the studs and right now our studs are not stepping up.
Think UF coach mentioned Coppola will start at least. He has a 9 ERA with 18 innings.

@CatchFire posted the NCAA tournament stats. I looked at those and I believe that Lopez on the year was only striking out in about 12 percent of his ABs, but during the NCAA he's striking out 29 percent of the time.
Posting here for everyone's visibility.

Went ahead and collated the stats since the start of the NCAA tournament playoffs (SEC tourney excluded). A bit long in the tooth to change the batting order at this stage, and I get some of this is just a result of playing against stellar pitching, but a few observations:

1. Waldy, Burkes, Lopez all with more Ks than hits
  2. Waldy last hit was a double vs. Illinois in the top of the 5th
  3. Top four of the order batting a combined .181, while the next four are .357
  4. One thing the top 3 in the order are bringing is walks (14), but have more strikeouts (16)
  5. Nicholson with a hit in EVERY playoff game
  6. Nicholson with a HR in all but two playoff games (WMU, OSU second game)
  7. Nearly as many Ks (53) as hits (56)
  8. Daly, Nicholson, and McCarthy account for ~52% of UK's offense

AVGABHBBRBIHRSBK
Waldschmidt.18527543108
Pitre.22227666122
Burkes.16025441006
Lopez.16131502029
Daly.33327904125
Nicholson.444271239506
McCarthy.36422835113
McCoy.26319533118
Smith.10020221016
Totals.24922556253410953

Reactions: vhcat70

Man I'd put Nicholson in that 3rd spot and have Burks hit 6th or even later. I don't like Burks hitting 3rd at all and Nicholson needs as many at bats as possible. Did they put Burks at 3 to try and get himg going later in the season or what?

Man I'd put Nicholson in that 3rd spot and have Burks hit 6th or even later. I don't like Burks hitting 3rd at all and Nicholson needs as many at bats as possible. Did they put Burks at 3 to try and get himg going later in the season or what?

Burkes was always the 3 hole hitter, until he got hurt in the middle of the year and got bumped to the 9 hole so he didn't hit as much and have to run as much. Once he was heathy again, they moved him back to the 3. It hasn't worked there, but sometimes if you change the pieces around a player it can help them to hit as, like I said, they get better pitches as pitchers tense up to avoid more dangerous hitters. Moving a hitter down the lineup can also have that effect as a pitcher loosens up thinking they are in the weaker part of the lineup and they might throw more fastballs instead of off speed.

Reactions: cats1068
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT