ADVERTISEMENT

Cole Bentley is violent

Looks like GA Tech, Cincy, and Colorado State are his biggest offers...plus AF, Navy and Yale...must be a smart young man.

Not from us the staff doesn't seem interested in taking a guard in this class. He looks too good to pass on though

Yeah looks like a good player for sure. Hate seeing him go to Tech too, but must be a pretty smart kid too with some of those offers.

I know the staff apparently doesn't want more interior ol in this class, but you can't pass on this in state kid imo.

Also, good luck stopping belfry this year. May as well mail them the trophy now. They may not throw a single pass all season

Reactions: AbsoluteCats
Love his feet. Looks like he can move and adjust. I'm not sure UK can pass on him. You can NEVER have too many interior linemen.

If he's anywhere near SEC level I don't see how you can pass on him. At OG R Meyers/Haynes will gone before he's ready and GAA will be a senior and Stenberg a junior. Could be there's someone else they're in on who they think will end up at OG. Wills? Eze? Munford? Time will tell.

maybe a present interior linemen buried on the depth chart will exit the program making room for an offer for Bentley

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
If he's anywhere near SEC level I don't see how you can pass on him. At OG R Meyers/Haynes will gone before he's ready and GAA will be a senior and Stenberg a junior. Could be there's someone else they're in on who they think will end up at OG. Wills? Eze? Munford? Time will tell.

That's exactly what I though when looking at the depth chart. The depth at interior OL looks good now, but there aren't any young guys to develop/step in after the guys you mention. This year seems like the IDEAL time to take a 1-2 interior lineman and grow them without having to throw them to the wolves (i.e. see Off Tackle).

Eze is no guard and while we look to be in good position for him he would definitely be at tackle. Wills wants to play tackle. If we truly want Sec depth we need to balance out our approach by making sure both the edges and the inside both have younger guys to get stronger.

maybe a present interior linemen buried on the depth chart will exit the program making room for an offer for Bentley

I don't know that helps as I would think the coaches would like to have time to develop him. If anything, I could see the extra scholarship coming from a DB that gets buried.

Look at all the DBs for 2016
FR - Beckham (RS), Gilliam, Griffin, Robinson, M. Walker (RS), Cole (Mich Txfr)
SO - Westry, Baity, Tucker, West, Edwards
JR - Randolph,
SR - Harmon, McWilson, McClain

Commits for 2017: Ajian

I'm not saying any of those guys should leave, b/c the depth is good, but it takes longer to develop OL, so getting one for 2017 projects to play by 2019.

At least WRs/DBs can often play as true or RS freshmen, so you could get an extra 1-2 in 2018 if necessary

Last edited:
Our need for DL far outweighs our need for OG. He may work his way into an offer from an SEC or another ACC school with camp performance but right now GT looks like his best offer from a football standpoint. He is a solid prospect but right or wrong a lot of the P5 schools see something to hold back an offer. He has been visiting around the neighborhood and UK, UL, UT, WVU, UVA, WF have not offered. Maybe that will all change but his recruitment is not just a UK issue.

I don't know that helps as I would think the coaches would like to have time to develop him. If anything, I could see the extra scholarship coming from a DB that gets buried.

Look at all the DBs for 2016
FR - Beckham (RS), Gilliam, Griffin, Robinson
SO - Westry, Baity, Tucker, West, Edwards
JR - Randolph,
SR - Harmon, McWilson, McClain

Commits for 2017: Ajian

I'm not saying any of those guys should leave, b/c the depth is good, but it takes longer to develop OL, so getting one for 2017 projects to play by 2019.

At least WRs/DBs can often play as true or RS freshmen, so you could get an extra 1-2 in 2018 if necessary

Add Walker to your FR list. Quite a talented bunch.

Our need for DL far outweighs our need for OG. He may work his way into an offer from an SEC or another ACC school with camp performance but right now GT looks like his best offer from a football standpoint. He is a solid prospect but right or wrong a lot of the P5 schools see something to hold back an offer. He has been visiting around the neighborhood and UK, UL, UT, WVU, UVA, WF have not offered. Maybe that will all change but his recruitment is not just a UK issue.
I can't believe we pass on this guy no matter what...if he is as mean as he looks make a dline man out of him!!!

Cole Bentley ‏@cbent3445 12m12 minutes ago

Had a great time at WVU's spring game today!pic.twitter.com/truUQfbltu

Cgwr5-TWwAIeB7-.jpg

I am not debating that DL is a big need. Also, I am not saying that Cole Bentley is a guy for whom the coaching staff should be doing back flips to get a commitment. However, look at the roster, and look at the number of younger interior OL guys - answer, not many.

I'm just concerned that passing on any OGs in this class may end up creating a lack of mature bodies to step in for the 2018 season. I know that seems drastic, but I've heard many argue you should be replacing starters with RS-SOs or RS-JRs, and that is 3/4 yrs in the program

2016 OG/OC
FR - Stenberg, Fortner, Jackson, Wolfe (currently at OT)
SO - GAA, Stallings
JR - Haynes, R. Meyers, Mosier (currently swinging OG/OT)

All of those guys in the JR class will be gone after the 2017 season. How do you build depth for the future with no one in the 2017 class? You would have 2 classes 2016/2017 with ONE OG total. Perhaps the staff is just planning to look a Dec grad JUCO guys to come in right after the 2017 season?

OK the real question is why does he not have more P5 offers if he is that big of a talent? There is more to this story than discussed on this board. He looks like a good player and I wish him the best but I don't see him as a must have for UK at this point.

OK the real question is why does he not have more P5 offers if he is that big of a talent? There is more to this story than discussed on this board. He looks like a good player and I wish him the best but I don't see him as a must have for UK at this point.

Please reread my post above... I'm not saying Bentley is a must take, but I question not taking ANY OGs in this class.

Not from us the staff doesn't seem interested in taking a guard in this class. He looks too good to pass on though
He is a good prospect who would probably get an offer from Kentucky in a normal year. This year, available scholarship numbers will be less than usual because of the small senior class. The offensive guard position is not an immediate need. Stoops' 2017 class already has more commitments than available scholarships, and all the defensive positions present more immediate needs than offensive guard.

He is a good prospect who would probably get an offer from Kentucky in a normal year. This year, available scholarship numbers will be less than usual because of the small senior class. The offensive guard position is not an immediate need. Stoops' 2017 class already has more commitments than available scholarships, and all the defensive positions present more immediate needs than offensive guard.

Blue decade,

I am not saying that OT/DT aren't bigger needs. However, if the coaching staff holds onto the current commits (especially Hudson), there are at least young guys coming up.

BTW, here's the 2016 DL depth chart by class

DE (hand in the dirt, not the DE/LB position Ware plays)
FR - Taylor (RS), Carter?
SO - Ke. Daniel
JR - Bell
SR - Miggins

NT
FR - Cross?
SO - Dubose
JR - Elam, Pringle
SR -

DT
FR - Looney?
SO - Middleton
JR - Meant
SR -

Incoming FR: Cross, Looney, Carter - guessed at the positions to which they may project.
Commits for 2017: Bohanna, Hudson

There's at least 2 deep at every position going into 2018 without taking another commitment for 2017.

Blue decade,

I am not saying that OT/DT aren't bigger needs. However, if the coaching staff holds onto the current commits (especially Hudson), there are at least young guys coming up.

BTW, here's the 2016 DL depth chart by class

DE (hand in the dirt, not the DE/LB position Ware plays)
FR - Taylor (RS), Carter?
SO - Ke. Daniel
JR - Bell
SR - Miggins

NT
FR - Cross?
SO - Dubose
JR - Elam, Pringle
SR -

DT
FR - Looney?
SO - Middleton
JR - Meant
SR -

Incoming FR: Cross, Looney, Carter - guessed at the positions to which they may project.
Commits for 2017: Bohanna, Hudson

There's at least 2 deep at every position going into 2018 without taking another commitment for 2017.
As far as it goes, all of that may be true. I can find a rationale for taking another guard, but there are bigger priorities. The fact remains that Stoops probably doesn't have a scholarship available for an offensive guard in his 2017 class. In a normal year, he would take Bentley. This isn't a normal year. There are only 8 recruited seniors on our roster, and the current 2017 verbal commitments have already put us over the roster limit unless a couple of our current players leave. If we get to January and Stoops has found an available scholarship due to unexpected attrition, then I wouldn't be surprised if he offers Bentley late under those circumstances. But I doubt that is in the cards.

As far as it goes, all of that may be true. I can find a rationale for taking another guard, but there are bigger priorities. The fact remains that Stoops probably doesn't have a scholarship available for an offensive guard in his 2017 class. In a normal year, he would take Bentley. This isn't a normal year. There are only 8 recruited seniors on our roster, and the current 2017 verbal commitments have already put us over the roster limit unless a couple of our current players leave. If we get to January and Stoops has found an available scholarship due to unexpected attrition, then I wouldn't be surprised if he offers Bentley late under those circumstances. But I doubt that is in the cards.

That's true... truth be told, the team is probably a bit heavy @ DB or WR, but no way the staff turns away talent like Ajian or Richardson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT