ADVERTISEMENT

Coen OC Hire--3 Holdup/Complications IMO

Dec 6, 2022
1. No one knows FOR SURE he is interested in the job.
2. The Rams play Thursday night and will be mathematically eliminated if they lose. Coen will probably do/say nothing publicly until after that game at the earliest.
3. The Baker Mayfield situation. Mayfield just joined the Rams on waivers this week and with Stafford out for the year, Coen will be charged with getting Mayfield "up to speed" for the rest of the season (the rest of the Ram Quarterbacks are inept).
Here are two Coen quotes from the AP today (12/6) concerning Mayfield:

"My gosh, you'd probably know as much as I would on that right now," offensive coordinator Liam Coen told reporters when asked if Mayfield might play Thursday. "I couldn't tell you. I haven't spoken to him. I've only heard great things about him, his professional nature in Carolina and some of the things that went on there."
"It's a chance to evaluate," Coen said. "You're always looking for competition at every position, and you're looking for a chance to evaluate talent. That was the goal. ... We feel good about our room and the quarterback that we have for the future of the Los Angeles Rams, which is Matthew Stafford, but we feel obviously pretty good about somebody to come in here and compete at a high level for us."
The article also said the Rams wish to evaluate Mayfield closely in case Stafford is unable to come back healthy for future seasons.

Good luck getting Baker up to speed:
“He ranks last in the NFL in Total QBR among qualified quarterbacks with a rating of 18.2, which also is the second-worst ever among 521 qualified passers since tracking of the stat began in 2006, according to ESPN Stats & Information.”

Reactions: Girthang and K_TIME
I posted a couple of days ago that Stafford could possibly retire at end of year. That could hasten McVey hanging it up, like he has hinted. Makes sense for Coen to leave, sooner rather than later.

Reactions: flacat22
1. No one knows FOR SURE he is interested in the job.
2. The Rams play Thursday night and will be mathematically eliminated if they lose. Coen will probably do/say nothing publicly until after that game at the earliest.
3. The Baker Mayfield situation. Mayfield just joined the Rams on waivers this week and with Stafford out for the year, Coen will be charged with getting Mayfield "up to speed" for the rest of the season (the rest of the Ram Quarterbacks are inept).
Here are two Coen quotes from the AP today (12/6) concerning Mayfield:

"My gosh, you'd probably know as much as I would on that right now," offensive coordinator Liam Coen told reporters when asked if Mayfield might play Thursday. "I couldn't tell you. I haven't spoken to him. I've only heard great things about him, his professional nature in Carolina and some of the things that went on there."
"It's a chance to evaluate," Coen said. "You're always looking for competition at every position, and you're looking for a chance to evaluate talent. That was the goal. ... We feel good about our room and the quarterback that we have for the future of the Los Angeles Rams, which is Matthew Stafford, but we feel obviously pretty good about somebody to come in here and compete at a high level for us."
The article also said the Rams wish to evaluate Mayfield closely in case Stafford is unable to come back healthy for future seasons.
Damn he sounds like Cal "I haven't spoken to him"

Reactions: Girthang
The Rams RB coach didn't wait for this week's game to announce that he was leaving for a job at ASU.

Reactions: YaketySax
The Rams RB coach didn't wait for this week's game to announce that he was leaving for a job at ASU.

Possibly the first domino to fall? hopefully?

Big difference in position coaches and coordinators tho. Lot harder to leave early when you're a coordinator.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT