ADVERTISEMENT

Coach here... End of season update.

I'm learning that very quickly! It's all about who you know!

Luckily, I'm trying to cast a wide net and hoping someone takes a change on me at the next level.

You never know who can help you in this business. Acoach that I took a chance on his son, got me my first gig a few years ago. It's a randomly funny story about how we're all somehow connected.

I know nothing of coaching, but the way it worked in software was you put in your dues, in my case 8 years in the wasteland that is the ABQ at Sandia Labs though I must say the Labs was a rather special place. The contacts I made there, the friends I made who knew what I could do finally lead me back to Colorado where I have remained now for 27 years. I came to have a dream to live in Boulder on a road trip between my sophomore and junior years at UK, and with those 8 years I made that dream come true. I hope yours do to.

Reactions: chroix and smruss0
Quade Green being recruited as a One and Done is... interesting. Was actually hoping he'd give us some stability at that position.
He may leave after one year but unless he improves a lot between now and then it'll be a mistake. See, this is the kind of stuff that pisses me off with Cal. He puts it into these fringe OAD guys heads that they'll only be here a year. He should be telling them that they "might" have a good shot to be OAD if they put in the work but that it's not a sure thing.

If he wants to tell the sure fire OAD guys that crap then fine. But damn save it on the ones that should realistically be here more than a year. If the kid happens to not play to a OAD level then he feels like he has to leave or that he's a disappointment. These scenarios usually work out for Cal and the kid but we end up getting the short end of the stick as fans of the school.

As for Giles, can you imagine Cal bringing the #1 player in the country off the bench? It's amazing how Giles has been handled and that they will probably get another year from him. Must be nice to bring your top guys back for for a second season.

As for Giles, can you imagine Cal bringing the #1 player in the country off the bench? It's amazing how Giles has been handled and that they will probably get another year from him. Must be nice to bring your top guys back for for a second season.

You do realize that if Duke gets Giles back, it's because they failed him as a player, right? Why would it be nice to have that?

JaVonte Smart

- Giles going back for a 2nd year when he'd probably still be drafted in the 1st round this year based on potential alone, despite his injuries, is the most Duke thing ever. Stupid decision after stupid decision. Should've never played this year, sure as shit shouldn't go back for a 2nd.

Returning to Duke never hurt anybody.

Sincerely,

Grayson Allen

I read the Quade Green pitch just like Cal's pitch to Ulis. Every guy who comes here believes they can get to the league and Cal promises to do all he can to let them achieve that.

It won't likely come to fruition, but it's a great sales pitch and it keeps recruiting open for 2018, especially if that's the consensus chatter. If you tell Green he's a 2-3 year guy, that word gets out, and then you're stuck trying to recruit a 2018 PG who's willing to try and unseat a 5 star sophomore at his position.

Instead, tell him he's gone, tell others he's gone, and then make it work when he comes back. Simple.

Might check out the meaning of the word coach. Also as long as you're realistic why would you limit anyone's vision for the future. Once you set a low goal you will reach it. jmuo

You do realize that if Duke gets Giles back, it's because they failed him as a player, right? Why would it be nice to have that?
Because they're getting a major talent back for another year. We've had a ton of kids get rich off uk the last 7 years. Forgive me if I don't shed a tear if some of ours get "failed" or held back and come back for atleast another year.

We have heard for years the NBA drafts on potential. If that is true then Giles should be gone. If it does not apply to Giles then quit using it as a argument why our guys leave.

We have heard for years the NBA drafts on potential. If that is true then Giles should be gone. If it does not apply to Giles then quit using it as a argument why our guys leave.

It can apply to Giles and he still not be smart enough to take the money right now. I'm sure Duke is selling him on coming back fully healthy, being on another really good team, and proving to teams that he's still the same player he once was and making a run at the #1 spot.

His alternative is to take top-15/20 money and not risk it any further.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
It can apply to Giles and he still not be smart enough to take the money right now. I'm sure Duke is selling him on coming back fully healthy, being on another really good team, and proving to teams that he's still the same player he once was and making a run at the #1 spot.

His alternative is to take top-15/20 money and not risk it any further.
Cannot argue with anything you said.

Because they're getting a major talent back for another year. We've had a ton of kids get rich off uk the last 7 years. Forgive me if I don't shed a tear if some of ours get "failed" or held back and come back for atleast another year.

Brother that is cynical...

Reactions: BigKari
Let's sincerely hope that Duke's recruiting goes to [poop], because as of right now, Duke fans and CB prognosticators seem to think they're getting Bagley, Reddish, Langford, and Williamson. Dream on Douchies, ain't going to happen. Those four just happen to be the top 4 players in the country next year and the best by a significant margin over the rest of the field. Plus throw in the best PG in the country in No. 7 Darius Garland.

I think we've got a good shot at each of those Top 4 guys. Reddish I think is the most likely to end up at Duke.

Seriously don't get Duke's appeal to these kids. Hopefully we can rain on their parade next year and they're going to lose a lot of luster post-K. They may get Duval, but this year didn't quite pan out they way they hoped on the recruiting front.

Also, I'd guess the PG who is close to committing is Javonte Smart, not Quickley.

Got on this morning to check this post, and I had no idea the most discussed issue would be Harry Giles.

For the record, I heard last night something for a less reputable person that makes me think Giles leaves. These things change, either he or I have old information.

-If you all have some questions I can try to answer, give them and I'll see what I can do over the weekend...

Just post them and @ me.

I'm only working eight hours a day, so I need something to do with all my free time haha.

Also, @TheDude1 ... remember when I said on the national board that other schools would be using player development against Duke on the recruiting trail and I was harassed to no end by some of the Duke homers? I'll try to locate the thread.

Hey man, maybe it is legit. But again... there is nothing in the original post that I couldn't have come up with or that can be held to. In fact, it sort of reads like... if someone wanted to post something that would make UK fans happy, you know? UK is doing great, Cal is pushing OAD, Duke is getting hammered in exactly the fashion you guys would like, former #1 recruit Giles is sucking so badly that he probably can't even go to the league, oh, and it is Grayson's Allen fault...

And there is almost no way Giles comes back... although leaving it 75/25 allows someone to say "Oh well, I guess he saw the light and realized there was nothing to be gained... something must have changed."

Could be totally legit, of course. Just saying... nothing revolutionary there. Next one could easily be something like...

"Hearing a 2019 guard is SUPER high on the Cats. Loves how Cal used Monk and Fox this year. We should hear something in the near future, although there could be something that bumps that back.

Bagley apparently had a great convo with Cal recently... he likes UK a lot.

Zion Williamson is another guy who really likes UK, but I am hearing from some folks I know that he is leaning towards staying close to home. 70/30 he stays in SC, but anything can happen.

Duke continues to take a beating on the recruiting trail. Especially the bigs are noticing that Duke tends to use their big guys just for setting screens.

Coach Barbee seems to have taken the lead on the recruitment of Moses Brown, a big who might be on his way up the rankings. His camp loves what Cal has done with bigs, especially a few who have a similar play style."

You know?

But of course, could totally legit be a D1 coach posting tidbits on a message board.

Last edited:
Duke is getting hammered in exactly the fashion you guys would like, former #1 recruit Giles is sucking so badly that he probably can't even go to the league, oh, and it is Grayson's Allen fault...

I get your saltiness but I also agree with you. Everything is Allen's fault, even Global Warming. :sunglasses:

Hey man, maybe it is legit. But again... there is nothing in the original post that I couldn't have come up with or that can be held to. In fact, it sort of reads like... if someone wanted to post something that would make UK fans happy, you know? UK is doing great, Cal is pushing OAD, Duke is getting hammered in exactly the fashion you guys would like, former #1 recruit Giles is sucking so badly that he probably can't even go to the league, oh, and it is Grayson's Allen fault...

And there is almost no way Giles comes back... although leaving it 75/25 allows someone to say "Oh well, I guess he saw the light and realized there was nothing to be gained... something must have changed."

Could be totally legit, of course. Just saying... nothing revolutionary there. Next one could easily be something like...

"Hearing a 2019 guard is SUPER high on the Cats. Loves how Cal used Monk and Fox this year. We should hear something in the near future, although there could be something that bumps that back.

Zion Williamson is another guy who really likes UK, but I am hearing from some folks I know that he is leaning towards staying close to home. 70/30 he stays in SC, but anything can happen.

Duke continues to take a beating on the recruiting trail. Especially the bigs are noticing that Duke tends to use their big guys just for setting screens.

Coach Barbee seems to have taken the lead on the recruitment of Moses Brown, a big who might be on his way up the rankings. His camp loves what Cal has done with bigs, especially a few who have a similar play style."

You know?

But of course, could totally legit be a D1 coach posting tidbits on a message board.

I'm not Division 1 right now.

That's the goal.

You know?

You are a total moron . Coach has been proven to know what is talking about and has been on here for a while now . Also he ain't D1 yet. Such a douchebag in the typical Duke model. How's Bolden's lottery pick year going ? If you can't see that Duke hasn't produced much in the way of NBA bigs in years I don't know what to tell you.

You know?

Still clowning I see.

Why don't you go pore through all of Coach's posts like the Zapruder film and then type 40 or 50 more paragraphs that no one will read?

I'm not Division 1 right now.

That's the goal.

Gotcha. And as I've said, a few times, obviously you could be completely legit. I've just seen a few long cons that seem similar in the message board world. I'll leave it alone from now on.

You know?

I hear you, and your overall point that anyone can make up anything on the internet isn't something anyone wants to debate.

But Coach has been around a little while and has generally been accurate in the past. He also presents his information in a way that isn't self congratulatory or attention seeking.

None of us think he's in Cal's secret meeting room, it's just nice to get occasional tidbits. Especially since even the guys who put their name to this stuff and get paid to do it are mostly reading the way the wind blows and deciding whose gossip to trust.

Reactions: Aike
Gotcha. And as I've said, a few times, obviously you could be completely legit. I've just seen a few long cons that seem similar in the message board world. I'll leave it alone from now on.

Look at you Sherlock. Nothing fools you.

Coach is taking this con as long as the Nile will take him. He's innit to winnit.

I hear you, and your overall point that anyone can make up anything on the internet isn't something anyone wants to debate.

But Coach has been around a little while and has generally been accurate in the past. He also presents his information in a way that isn't self congratulatory or attention seeking.

None of us think he's in Cal's secret meeting room, it's just nice to get occasional tidbits. Especially since even the guys who put their name to this stuff and get paid to do it are mostly reading the way the wind blows and deciding whose gossip to trust.

Correct. If I walked into a room with him, he'd have no idea who I am. We do however share a few people in our own circles.

Growing up, I was a fan of Temple and Villanova.

As I progressed into coaching, I'm now a fan of coaching staffs and a few select programs from afar.

I'm not here for fame, I just happen to like UK fans and I like sharing rumors and information.

At some point my information is going to be wrong or change in a split second and I'll be "wrong".

There is quite a few senile people here, relax and enjoy a great team and coaching staff.

Correct. If I walked into a room with him, he'd have no idea who I am. We do however share a few people in our own circles.

Growing up, I was a fan of Temple and Villanova.

As I progressed into coaching, I'm now a fan of coaching staffs and a few select programs from afar.

I'm not here for fame, I just happen to like UK fans and I like sharing rumors and information.

At some point my information is going to be wrong or change in a split second and I'll be "wrong".

There is quite a few senile people here, relax and enjoy a great team and coaching staff.

The guy giving you crap is a Duke fan, which should explain a lot.

JaVonte Smart

- Giles going back for a 2nd year when he'd probably still be drafted in the 1st round this year based on potential alone, despite his injuries, is the most Duke thing ever. Stupid decision after stupid decision. Should've never played this year, sure as shit shouldn't go back for a 2nd.

This. If he came back and still played badly, he'll fall out of the draft entirely on the presumptions that Giles is too far gone to be great again.

I've thought for a while now that Duke/K would try and retain Giles for another year. They are that type of program.

Coach, what makes you so sure Duke is out for Knox? I keep hearing it, but back in May Crystal Balls went all in on Knox to Duke, and that hasn't changed..

Reactions: lonnie boyd
Duke may get Giles back, but at what cost? There's no way that's a good thing, and recruits and their families will be cautious about Duke going forward. Clearly, they are more concerned about the basketball program over the player.

If Giles comes back there's a lot of negative that can happen. One more knee injury, him not being the same player to begin with.. Bringing Giles back for just one extra season could totally blow up his NBA career and derail Duke's recruiting.

If this was at Kentucky, I'd rather him just go to the NBA. Too much risk for the player and the program.

I've thought for a while now that Duke/K would try and retain Giles for another year. They are that type of program.

Coach, what makes you so sure Duke is out for Knox? I keep hearing it, but back in May Crystal Balls went all in on Knox to Duke, and that hasn't changed..

Right now, some people who's close tells me he's leaning on returning. Now once agents and family gets in to discuss, things could change. He may very well leave.

Knox would fit in anywhere he goes, but some families just don't care for Duke, just like some families don't care for Kentucky.

Recruiting is about connections, so which ever coach can connect and sell their pitch the best usually wins.

He's got four good options, I just think Duke is at the end of the four.

Thanks for the bones! Some of our dogs are starving and need fed.
6c0a34f575d53035577846447c63cc6689893c6df75332c4532a9c252ebca66f.jpg

@CoachX11 --what else are you hearing about '18? If the smart money isn't on the PG stuff happening quickly, what about the rest of the studs at the top of that class?

I know it usually becomes clear over the summer who Cal has made a priority, that's the way we typically cycle our recruiting, but what's the early landscape looking like?

Also, any talk about UK looking to add other guys to the roster for next year beyond Bamba/Knox?

@CoachX11 --what else are you hearing about '18? If the smart money isn't on the PG stuff happening quickly, what about the rest of the studs at the top of that class?

I know it usually becomes clear over the summer who Cal has made a priority, that's the way we typically cycle our recruiting, but what's the early landscape looking like?

Also, any talk about UK looking to add other guys to the roster for next year beyond Bamba/Knox?

Give me the weekend to figure somethings out.

If I don't respond Monday. @ me again.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
ADVERTISEMENT