ADVERTISEMENT

Coach here... End of season update.

Aug 23, 2016
Hello everyone, it's been a while. I really appreciate all the kind words that I've received, I like talking hoops with you guys.

So...

My season is officially over and we get about three weeks to breathe and start assessing for next season. I spend about 3 hours on recruiting a day, and I'll be on the road towards the end of the month all across the Eastern part of the USA.

Personally, I'll be looking to applying for a few bigger jobs. In fact, I'll be heading to the Final Four this year to try and get some connections. I have a couple leads.

Side note: To get a bigger assistant job in college, you usually got to deliver some players.

For those who don't know, the Final Four is where a lot of stuff goes down in regards to coaching hires, and you get all the coaching gossip when coaches go to bars and start drinking. Coaches angle for new jobs, and try to figure out who's getting who for next year. This will be my second year going and I'm pretty excited.

I expect to hear more about some of your all's potential future Cats within the month. So far, I've been fed pretty accurate and have shared some pretty good information with you all.

It's been busy, but probably what I have isn't anything earth shattering, so for the sarcastic out there, save it. haha.

1. I really think Bamba is going to eventually be at UK. It just makes the most sense. He will change the game defensively. Quade and Diallo are playing a big factor in this recruitment. I've heard some whispers that Texas is still pretty strong, but that could be old news...time will tell.

2. Funny story, I was told that Cal told Quade that he would have failed him if he's not one and done. Easy to see why Cal gets all the big names.

UK is also recruiting a 2018 point guard and telling him Quade is leaving after one. So that's the plan. Also, I think this point guard may pull the trigger this spring.

3. Knox- I just don't know a whole lot more. UNC, UK, FSU in that order if you had to make me pick. Anyone's game. Family is big on this decision. Got to respect that.

4. You all make like this, but Duke is getting absolutely BLASTED on the recruiting trail. Player development is being harped. Also interesting that some schools are using examples such as Grayson Allen on why Duke tries to hold their kids back.

Not sure it's going to be all that strong of a pull, but I know the word is out.

Oh, and I've heard Giles may be back next year. 75/25 stay is what I was told.

5. NC State is going to find a pretty good coach I think. They're about to throw some serious money at Archie Miller. I wouldn't take that job, but who knows? Funny thing that people don't realize is that NC State has a really large fan base.

6. Jay Wright from Nova is putting out feelers to the NBA. Looks like he's trying get a big pay day and an easier job.

Oh lastly, I will be rooting for Kentucky in the tournament.

Thanks, as always coach. Good luck on the new gig. That's got to be a fascinating way to audition for a job.

A couple things:

It seems like you're saying we'll know something...quickly...about this 2018 point guard, correct?

Any specific players/programs connected to the negative talk about Duke?

Giles is 75% to stay? Did I read that correctly?

Reactions: BigKari
Appreciate the info Coach. Interesting to hear about Duke on the recruiting trail. Will be more interesting to see how much they overcome that.

As for you, good luck on the coaching hunt.

Thanks for the update! Good luck on future endeavors. We're rooting for you, and we appreciate the info!

Let us know if you hear any rumors re: Coach O.

Hey Coach, great to hear from you !! Are you hearing anything of Standsberry at WKU trying to land the LSU job ,and take his prized recruit with him ? lots of talk about that last weekend when I was there watching WKU

4. You all make like this, but Duke is getting absolutely BLASTED on the recruiting trail. Player development is being harped. Also interesting that some schools are using examples such as Grayson Allen on why Duke tries to hold their kids back.

They should get blasted. For playing a gimp player and ruining his draft stock, and for letting Grayson Allen come back. He had an amazing year last year, and his stock was never going to be higher. Now look at him. He's the laughing stock of college basketball.

Coach, the stuff you post here is so enjoyable to read. I guess because it's an inside perspective that we, as fans, just can't otherwise get. Plus, even though you are anonymous, the way you handle yourself in interacting with message board fans (who are not always the most sane lot) is admirable and speaks well of your ability to handle the non-coaching communication duties that I assume come with your profession.

Anyway, thank you. I hope you reach whatever goal you're working toward; and I selfishly hope that however high you climb that you'll always check in with our fanbase from time to time.

3. Knox- UNC, UK, FSU in that order
I've been saying this for months but no one believes me. I can't understand where Duke chatter among the "experts" is coming from.

Thanks as always. You are one of the best posters here.

Giles would be a fool to return. Why? You look like a 90 yr old man out there now. Another yr at duke could only hurt your chances at a large pay day. Take the money and run

Reactions: JustinSphere
The Quade thing caught me off guard as well. I may be very wrong but Quade will have to have a HUGE year to go one and done. Thanks as always coach, I always get pumped when I see you have posted.

So K's plan worked to perfection re Giles. Unreal how he maintains his image.

That should help us with Bamba.

If Giles does come back and gets another injury, he will never get into the NBA. If K lets him return, he's the scum of the earth.

I read the Quade Green pitch just like Cal's pitch to Ulis. Every guy who comes here believes they can get to the league and Cal promises to do all he can to let them achieve that.

It won't likely come to fruition, but it's a great sales pitch and it keeps recruiting open for 2018, especially if that's the consensus chatter. If you tell Green he's a 2-3 year guy, that word gets out, and then you're stuck trying to recruit a 2018 PG who's willing to try and unseat a 5 star sophomore at his position.

Instead, tell him he's gone, tell others he's gone, and then make it work when he comes back. Simple.

Hello everyone, it's been a while. I really appreciate all the kind words that I've received, I like talking hoops with you guys.

So...

My season is officially over and we get about three weeks to breathe and start assessing for next season. I spend about 3 hours on recruiting a day, and I'll be on the road towards the end of the month all across the Eastern part of the USA.

Personally, I'll be looking to applying for a few bigger jobs. In fact, I'll be heading to the Final Four this year to try and get some connections. I have a couple leads.

Side note: To get a bigger assistant job in college, you usually got to deliver some players.

For those who don't know, the Final Four is where a lot of stuff goes down in regards to coaching hires, and you get all the coaching gossip when coaches go to bars and start drinking. Coaches angle for new jobs, and try to figure out who's getting who for next year. This will be my second year going and I'm pretty excited.

I expect to hear more about some of your all's potential future Cats within the month. So far, I've been fed pretty accurate and have shared some pretty good information with you all.

It's been busy, but probably what I have isn't anything earth shattering, so for the sarcastic out there, save it. haha.

1. I really think Bamba is going to eventually be at UK. It just makes the most sense. He will change the game defensively. Quade and Diallo are playing a big factor in this recruitment. I've heard some whispers that Texas is still pretty strong, but that could be old news...time will tell.

2. Funny story, I was told that Cal told Quade that he would have failed him if he's not one and done. Easy to see why Cal gets all the big names.

UK is also recruiting a 2018 point guard and telling him Quade is leaving after one. So that's the plan. Also, I think this point guard may pull the trigger this spring.

3. Knox- I just don't know a whole lot more. UNC, UK, FSU in that order if you had to make me pick. Anyone's game. Family is big on this decision. Got to respect that.

Not sure it's going to be all that strong of a pull, but I know the word is out.

5. NC State is going to find a pretty good coach I think. They're about to throw some serious money at Archie Miller. I wouldn't take that job, but who knows? Funny thing that people don't realize is that NC State has a really large fan base.

6. Jay Wright from Nova is putting out feelers to the NBA. Looks like he's trying get a big pay day and an easier job.

Hate to hear of your season ending shorter than you wanted but good thing you get to go to the final four and shoot shit with the big name coaches. Good luck with it all

Poor Duke...

e202e17f098352ae6b91b009cc64a2ab0257b707a5e9b4babfe9acdeb26d538c.jpg

Reactions: csrupp
Thanks, Coach, you're always appreciated around here. Was wondering where you've been but realized immediately that you've been pretty busy with your own season, stupid me. Please come back often, I really enjoy your posts and info.

I have long known that the F4 is where all the college coaches gather. Good luck in your quest for a better job, it's definitely the place to kick start that effort. My life experience has been that having a resume filled with achievements and accomplishments is great, but in the end it all came down to contacts, and who I knew.

Thanks, as always coach. Good luck on the new gig. That's got to be a fascinating way to audition for a job.

A couple things:

It seems like you're saying we'll know something...quickly...about this 2018 point guard, correct?

Any specific players/programs connected to the negative talk about Duke?

Giles is 75% to stay? Did I read that correctly?

I think quickly would be accurate but I wouldn't put smart money on it. First come first serve.

Well, I don't have a particular program. There are some assistants that like to throw shade on programs every spring and Duke is getting it this time.

Right now, people close to Giles' home town say he's going back to Duke. Things change however.

I read the Quade Green pitch just like Cal's pitch to Ulis. Every guy who comes here believes they can get to the league and Cal promises to do all he can to let them achieve that.

It won't likely come to fruition, but it's a great sales pitch and it keeps recruiting open for 2018, especially if that's the consensus chatter. If you tell Green he's a 2-3 year guy, that word gets out, and then you're stuck trying to recruit a 2018 PG who's willing to try and unseat a 5 star sophomore at his position.

Instead, tell him he's gone, tell others he's gone, and then make it work when he comes back. Simple.

Smart post.

Keeps 2018 guys interested and the word stays around that Green is 1 and done. Even if he's probably not.

So...

Good luck to you and really thanks for taking the time to come on here and post. Don't forget us nobodies when you make it big. Sincerely hope you get to move on up the ranks. Your info is very much appreciated and solid stuff.

I've been saying this for months but no one believes me. I can't understand where Duke chatter among the "experts" is coming from.

Thanks as always. You are one of the best posters here.

No problem! Hoping that order changes for you guys...

No no. If he's a reporter, these kind of conversations stop. Real information comes off the record.

I'll always stay anonymous for that reason. You never know who reads.

Coach, the stuff you post here is so enjoyable to read. I guess because it's an inside perspective that we, as fans, just can't otherwise get. Plus, even though you are anonymous, the way you handle yourself in interacting with message board fans (who are not always the most sane lot) is admirable and speaks well of your ability to handle the non-coaching communication duties that I assume come with your profession.

Anyway, thank you. I hope you reach whatever goal you're working toward; and I selfishly hope that however high you climb that you'll always check in with our fanbase from time to time.

Thanks! I'll keep you all updated with that as vaguely as I can.

Hey Coach, great to hear from you !! Are you hearing anything of Standsberry at WKU trying to land the LSU job ,and take his prized recruit with him ? lots of talk about that last weekend when I was there watching WKU

Actually yes I have! Although, I think LSU is looking for a bigger name. Archie Miller will get a call. Then he will hang up.

I have long known that the F4 is where all the college coaches gather. Good luck in your quest for a better job, it's definitely the place to kick start that effort. My life experience has been that having a resume filled with achievements and accomplishments is great, but in the end it all came down to contacts, and who I knew.

I'm learning that very quickly! It's all about who you know!

Luckily, I'm trying to cast a wide net and hoping someone takes a change on me at the next level.

You never know who can help you in this business. Acoach that I took a chance on his son, got me my first gig a few years ago. It's a randomly funny story about how we're all somehow connected.

Giles is gone folks he is no 75-25 or 99-1 nothing he is off to the NBA. I know some people too

No way cal promised or pledged or said he would have failed him to quade green to get him to league after 1 season. This made me laugh out loud.

I'm learning that very quickly! It's all about who you know!

Luckily, I'm trying to cast a wide net and hoping someone takes a change on me at the next level.

You never know who can help you in this business. Acoach that I took a chance on his son, got me my first gig a few years ago. It's a randomly funny story about how we're all somehow connected.
I saw a Coach Cal interview and he said you just need a break somewhere to get a foot in the door. I hope this happens for you. Getting to do something you love for a living is almost like stealing.

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
@TheDude1 ... I found it. This was my post on the national cbb board on 1/11, which I got crucified for. As it turns out, I was right.

Seems myopic. Your coach's health is on the decline, so it's a guess as to how long he's going to be around, and I'm sure other coaches are going to be in recruits' ears about that. Then there's question marks surrounding the current roster (who stays, who goes). Tatum and Giles are virtual locks, although their stock has dropped. What about Bolden? Dude was projected lottery before he put on a Duke uni, and now he's slipping toward the bottom of the 1st round. Doesn't look like he has progressed much, if any. Same for Jeter. He's a 5* and looks dreadful. He'll be at Duke all 4 years and go undrafted. That front court is going to be awfully crowded. You think future recruits don't notice these things? More importantly, you think these things aren't going to get used against Duke on the recruiting trail?

ADVERTISEMENT