ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Cal: 'If an NBA team would lie to me, you’re not coming in my gym'

“PJ really helped himself, so now I gotta go call the 30th pick, the 29th pick, I gotta go down the line so he has real information of who’s real,” Calipari said. “They told me he played real well.”

that's hilarious. Cal is on the record as saying he lies his ass off to NBA teams about players who are declaring so he can try to get them drafted even if they aren't ready.

Reactions: Jbapp1978
that's hilarious. Cal is on the record as saying he lies his ass off to NBA teams about players who are declaring so he can try to get them drafted even if they aren't ready.
Cal has all the leverage in this situation.

Yes sir. He's said this for a few years now. How are you doing, @HICATFAN? Been wondering how you were doing with the catastrophe in Hawaii. Hope all is well.

Aloha Cowtown

Doing well!!! Some of those folks on the Big Island are not doing so well....I’m on Oahu and it’s like...

tenor.gif

Hope all is well with you and yours.

GBB!!!

AlohaCat

Cal has all the leverage in this situation.
does he though? you think he'd actually shut any NBA teams out? He absolutely wouldn't, then he couldn't pitch NBA U like he does. It's just the same as 90% of the stuff that comes out of his mouth in regards to this kind of stuff it's hot air. His name is in the headlines though.

does he though? you think he'd actually shut any NBA teams out? He absolutely wouldn't, then he couldn't pitch NBA U like he does. It's just the same as 90% of the stuff that comes out of his mouth in regards to this kind of stuff it's hot air. His name is in the headlines though.

Lol Cal is hot air? Ya don't say. But let's keep it quiet, half the board hasn't realized this. They buy it all even his recruiting pitches. My girlfriend would call it something, what' the word...cute. :cool:

Cal if being honest with NBA teams would say...are you nuts??? These 3 arent even close to pro material right now...if NBA had 7 roumds then maybe but all 3 of my guys are not ready.....of course that aint happening

Lol Cal is hot air? Ya don't say. But let's keep it quiet, half the board hasn't realized this. They buy it all even his recruiting pitches. My girlfriend would call it something, what' the word...cute. :cool:

Morignorantsky strikes...

Link? If it's all on record of course.
i just spent about 20 minutes looking and couldn't find it on YouTube or Googling. But if you want to spend the time trying to find it, it's on his interview with Mike Francesa in 2012 within a week or so of us winning the title. Mike asks him about guys leaving and what about guys who shouldn't leave. And Cal says well Mike, I do my best to get them the best information I can and then they make their decision. And Mike says something like well what about the guys who make bad decisions what do you tell the NBA teams about those guys? And Cal says once they make their decision it's my job to get them drafted as high as possible so I lie my ass off to the teams when they call and tell them how great they are etc... I remember the call verbatim because I was shocked Cal said that on the radio.

i just spent about 20 minutes looking and couldn't find it on YouTube or Googling. But if you want to spend the time trying to find it, it's on his interview with Mike Francesa in 2012 within a week or so of us winning the title. Mike asks him about guys leaving and what about guys who shouldn't leave. And Cal says well Mike, I do my best to get them the best information I can and then they make their decision. And Mike says something like well what about the guys who make bad decisions what do you tell the NBA teams about those guys? And Cal says once they make their decision it's my job to get them drafted as high as possible so I lie my ass off to the teams when they call and tell them how great they are etc... I remember the call verbatim because I was shocked Cal said that on the radio.

We all know Calipari talks crazy at times but I don’t believe he said that at all. If he did the press and other coaches would tear him apart for saying it. So I’m calling bull on this...

That's all I needed to read to know what we're dealing with.

Reactions: Poetax

Oh, if you remember it verbatim that’s even better than a link.

I really don't give a hoot. Please if anyone knows a way to old Francesa archives please let me know. Or better yet if you don't believe me find the interview and play it and shove it in my face. He 100% said it and he verbatim said "I lie my ass off" I was shocked he put it like that.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
That's all I needed to read to know what we're dealing with.
What is that? Someone who lives in reality? What are you? One of those guys who believes everything Cal says? Must be hard to listen to all of his positioning all the time and think he's serious

Huh?

tenor.gif

From the link:

“I gotta make sure that he has an opportunity in the first round if that’s what he chooses to do, and someone’s not lying to him and then they’re going to take him at 50. That’s what I’m here for to make sure because if an NBA team would lie to me, you’re not coming in my gym,” Calipari said. "So the guys, they’re not coming out and telling me we’re taking, but they’re going to be honest. The guys that I know in this league, they know I give them carte blanche in our building at the games, whatever they need.

"I’m not holding these kids back but just be honest, don’t drag a kid in this that doesn’t need to be in it. And most of the guys here, I’ll probably call 10 or 12 teams for them and they’ll be honest, and if there’s really interest in four of them, I’m going to sit down with them and just say, ‘look, there’s four teams that I think there’s a chance that will take you in the first round.’”

Reactions: EastLansingCat
“PJ really helped himself, so now I gotta go call the 30th pick, the 29th pick, I gotta go down the line so he has real information of who’s real,” Calipari said. “They told me he played real well.”
He is trying his best to get all of our players to leave so that he can have the youngest team of all time again next year,

Reactions: KFuqua
10 points, 5 rebounds.

[roll] This thread. Miracle7 is a real-life record, everyone remember this verbatim but don't provide a link. Too funny.

Cal does his best for his players. That's been his MO from day 1. If you are reading anything else into it, you are either dumb as a rock or a miserable sack of sh*t that would rather complain about the sun rising than root for your basketball team. Good riddance.

He is trying his best to get all of our players to leave so that he can have the youngest team of all time again next year,

Actually, he is trying to get his players drafted so that he can continue to get the best of the best every year.

It's his selling point to recruits.

Why did Wall and Boogie come to UK? Because of what he did with Rose and others at Memphis.

Why did AD and MKG come to UK? Because of what he did with Wall and Boogie.

Why did Randle, KAT, Fox, etc. come to UK? Because of what he has done with the guys that came before them.

What he is doing for Washington is for the future of UK. It's a message to Wiseman and Carey, letting them know that he will do the same for them if they come to UK.

Cal is not shortsighted like most fan, he knows what he does now impacts future recruiting.

its a pretty simple strategy and has worked pretty well (4 Final Fours and a title) so far.

I feel like there should be a be a separate board for people like you that strictly love Cal and the NBA, and another one for only uk basketball fans.

I agree.

Why don't you start your own anti-Cal board somewhere else and let us "sunshine pumpers" and "Cal apologists" have a nice peaceful board over here where we can discuss UK basketball without all the whining and weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Actually, he is trying to get his players drafted so that he can continue to get the best of the best every year.

Why did Wall and Boogie come to UK? Because of what he did with Rose and others at Memphis.

Why did Randle, KAT, Fox, etc. come to UK? Because of what he has done with the guys that came before them.

What he is doing for Washington is for the future of UK. It's a message to Wiseman and Carey, letting them know that he will do the same for them if they come to UK.

Cal is not shortsighted like most fan, he knows what he does now impacts future recruiting.

its a pretty simple strategy and has worked pretty well (4 Final Fours and a title) so far.
lmao.....not worked so well the past 6 seasons if your goal is a championship.

I agree.

Why don't you start your own anti-Cal board somewhere else and let us "sunshine pumpers" and "Cal apologists" have a nice peaceful board over here where we can discuss UK basketball without all the whining and weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Glad you agree

I say it is a good coach and professor that will look out for the persons best interest. If more instructors of our young people taught the work ethic and civic responsibility that molds them into productive responsible citizens the whole country would benefit.
And your vote would be greatly rewarded, with my unwavering faith, and devotion, to each and every citizen of this great state that I am blessed to abide in.

Last edited:
lmao.....not worked so well the past 6 seasons if your goal is a championship.

Your life as a UK fan must be a pretty miserable experience if you are only happy when we win a championship. I'm almost 46 and it would suck to know that I have only been happy four times in my life.

I think I would have just quit watching a long time ago if that was the case for me. That level of expectation in college bball is just unrealistic.

I say it is a good coach and professor that will look out for the persons best interest. If more instructors of our young people taught the work ethic and civic responsibility that molds them into productive responsible citizens the whole country would benefit.

As a High School Social Studies teacher, I definitely agree.

Teachers and coaches have a great deal of influence. Unfortunately (in some cases) parents have a greater influence.

The influence of parents on work ethic and civic responsibility is MUCH greater than educators.

We do our best to play surrogate in that role, when the parents fail to do their part, but we don't have as much time with them as parents do (or should have).

And the students that actually listen to us about the importance of hard work are the ones who have already heard it from their parents. They listen to teachers because their parents have emphasized to them that it is important to work hard and listen to their teachers.

Sorry for the rant, I will get off my soapbox now.

Your life as a UK fan must be a pretty miserable experience if you are only happy when we win a championship. I'm almost 46 and it would suck to know that I have only been happy four times in my life.

I think I would have just quit watching a long time ago if that was the case for me. That level of expectation in college bball is just unrealistic.
I think when you look at the talent we have had over the years under cal, it is not unrealistic to expect more than one title by this point, do you?

I think when you look at the talent we have had over the years under cal, it is not unrealistic to expect more than one title by this point, do you?
Sounds exactly like Something I've heard UL fans say... You should go for the trifecta. "Velcro banners/AD 200k", and "UK players are paid mercenaries ".

The NBA does not need Cal lol. You're right

So true, buc. I was a music teacher for 18 years and could always pick out the students who came from homes where personal responsibility and a solid work ethic were taught. Teachers don’t have time to be “mom and dad” but, there were many times when you had to be just to create a learning environment in the classroom.

I see Calipari doing what any good teacher/coach does for his students. Gives them the tools to get the most out of their playing and then, provides an opportunity for them to achieve their dream. At the same time, UK is in the hunt every year for a run to the championship. I, for one, am happy that Calipari is keeping the U.K. program on the cutting edge and Final Four viable while giving those players a chance at the NBA. Win-win..

ADVERTISEMENT