ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Cal announces UK's recruiting class

You championship or bust people are funny.

News flash we are not winning one every year. Yes that's the goal but nope, not happening.

What's fun is following the team all season long. Brandon knights team was not supposed to make the final 4 and was one of my favorite Cal teams.
If you knew anything about me you would know I'm not a title or bust person but I'm also a realistic person.We are going to have some serious holes next season if Diallo leaves IMO.

If you knew anything about me you would know I'm not a title or bust person but I'm also a realistic person.We are going to have some serious holes next season if Diallo leaves IMO.
I still have hope Diallo returns but I agree that we really need him or Johnson.

Reactions: track42
I couldn't help but think that he took a minor jab at bamba at the end with kids that want to be here and get better. That said, in pretty sure it moved while watching that video. Exciting stuff

I hate that we missed on Bamba, but the silver lining is it means an opportunity for some of the other guys, especially for Gabriel, SKJ, and maybe Wynyard.

We know Cal and Payne can develop big men. Time for them to prove their mettle with these guys.

I am good with our roster. We have more talent than pretty much everyone else.

G Green- 5-star
G Gilgeous-Alexander- 4-star
G Baker- 4-star
G Knox- 5-star
F Vanderbilt- 5 star
F Washington- 5-star
F Gabriel- 5-star
F Killeya-Jones- 5-star
F Wynyard- 4-star
F Richards- 5-star

Seven 5-stars and three 4-stars. Not many teams with that kind of talent. No experience really to speak of, but Bamba wouldn't have helped that anyway.

Looking at the roster, we really need another guard or two more than we needed another big. We have six forwards and only four guards (if you count Knox as a guard).

Cal should try to add Johnson and call it a day for this coming season. Maybe try to sign Miles Wilson (transfer who will need to sit out). That is, of course, assuming that Diallo stays in the draft.

I think this is a Sweet Sixteen team on paper, IMHO. I can live with that this season. I think we will have a monster team in 2018-19.

Reactions: bookerfan66
People bitch and say Cal recruits over returning players and doesn't give them a shot. Well SKJ and Gabriel will get their shot...so idk why people are complaining. This is what you want.

News flash we are not winning one every year. Yes that's the goal but nope, not happening.

What's fun is following the team all season long. Brandon knights team was not supposed to make the final 4 and was one of my favorite Cal teams.
no but some would rather have a title and 0 to nba then and elite 8 and 6 to the nba some seem to want to brag on how many UK has in the nba i truly could care less how many get drafted can't stand the nba

Reactions: kyjeff1
no but some would rather have a title and 0 to nba then and elite 8 and 6 to the nba some seem to want to brag on how many UK has in the nba i truly could care less how many get drafted can't stand the nba

WTF does that mean? Speak English dumbass.

That is because he is not being recruited. He is already on the team. He only included in his comments of people he was recruiting!
Didn't mention Diallo in either group??

Looks like:
Green...........Alexander
Knox............Barker
Vando.........Gabe
Washington..SKJ
Richards......Wynyard....SKJ
hat

But isn't it all about bragging rights?? I mean isn't that what titles are as well? I want titles as well, but mainly because that means we won our last game, as well as the 5 before it. I mean how long does the excitement for a title last? a couple of weeks, or maybe until the next season starts, but that is about it. Then it just turns into something to boast about down the road. And an NCAA title doesn't even mean you are the best team in the country, only that you were better than your opponent in 6 specific games. It's not even against the entire field. As people get worked up about Diallo saying it only takes one team to tell him they will draft him in the first round, and he's gone. Well, it only takes one bad game, and you aren't winning a title. It could be that you would win 9 out of 10 against a certain opponent, but if that 1 happens to be in the tournament, then you don't get a title.

Only at Kentucky could some in the fan base be disappointed with only 7 McDonalds AA's on the roster.

5 stars and McDAA are great on paper. But they have to produce.

Take a look back the past few years at the recruiting rankings. A lot of 5 star guys who did nothing in college.

Anyone get excited about any of these guys?

Chase Jeter
Ray Smith
Cliff Alexander
Rashad Vaughan
Chris McCullough
Marcus Lee
Austin Nichols
Grant Jerrett
DaJuan Coleman

All 5 star and/or McDAAs over the past few seasons

While I somewhat agree with you, I think you're stating what YOU enjoy in this whole thing, but not being totally honest.

We are all here, almost every day, because we love UK basketball and we all want to win every year. Anyone that says different is not being honest.

Nobody is saying a FF or an E8 after a 5 total loss season sucks. Nobody is saying that at all.

But we can't act like the ultimate goal for UK, when we have these stud teams and great coach, is anything less than a title. And yes, we can hope for it every year, why would we not hope for it? We see these collections of skilled and talented players every year, how can you not hope for a title every year? It's not like we are Auburn or Mississippi State.

2015 hurt, finish the job and this is all a non issue.

Also, can we stop accusing people of thinking that UK should be winning the title every year? That's not what they are saying. We should have won it all in 10 and 15 and actually should have won it in 14 too, but we didn't. When you have the best team that many times and come up short 3 out of 4 times you can't be blown away when diehard fans get antsy.

But isn't it all about bragging rights?? I mean isn't that what titles are as well? I want titles as well, but mainly because that means we won our last game, as well as the 5 before it. I mean how long does the excitement for a title last? a couple of weeks, or maybe until the next season starts, but that is about it. Then it just turns into something to boast about down the road. And an NCAA title doesn't even mean you are the best team in the country, only that you were better than your opponent in 6 specific games. It's not even against the entire field. As people get worked up about Diallo saying it only takes one team to tell him they will draft him in the first round, and he's gone. Well, it only takes one bad game, and you aren't winning a title. It could be that you would win 9 out of 10 against a certain opponent, but if that 1 happens to be in the tournament, then you don't get a title.
We are still bragging about the 2012 and 1996 titles, so the bragging goes a lot longer than 2 weeks.
Winning a title>>>>>>>>>>>NBA draft picks

We are still bragging about the 2012 and 1996 titles, so the bragging goes a lot longer than 2 weeks.
Winning a title>>>>>>>>>>>NBA draft picks

By your post, you either misunderstood what I said, or you formed your opinion before reading. I never said bragging only lasts 2 weeks. I said the thrill only lasts 2 weeks, then it turns to bragging. Pointing out that the statement about bragging about players in the NBA is no different than bragging about winning a title. Obviously most fans of a college team care more about winning titles than NBA players. But the truth is, we only want titles so that we can brag. Because outside of bragging rights, what does a title do for the fans??

By your post, you either misunderstood what I said, or you formed your opinion before reading. I never said bragging only lasts 2 weeks. I said the thrill only lasts 2 weeks, then it turns to bragging. Pointing out that the statement about bragging about players in the NBA is no different than bragging about winning a title. Obviously most fans of a college team care more about winning titles than NBA players. But the truth is, we only want titles so that we can brag. Because outside of bragging rights, what does a title do for the fans??
So, why are we all here every day? You may not be here every day, but I see you on here a lot. Seems all of us are here because UK basketball is a big interest of ours and it's a big enough deal that we check this place out throughout the day. So, are you here for NBA draft picks or UK's success?

Take a look back the past few years at the recruiting rankings. A lot of 5 star guys who did nothing in college.

Chase Jeter
Ray Smith
Cliff Alexander
Rashad Vaughan
Chris McCullough
Marcus Lee
Austin Nichols
Grant Jerrett
DaJuan Coleman

I think Cal has a pretty good track record for getting most of his 5 star players to play up to their potential. Other than Marcus Lee, the rest of those guys made the mistake of not going to Kentucky.

So, why are we all here every day? You may not be here every day, but I see you on here a lot. Seems all of us are here because UK basketball is a big interest of ours and it's a big enough deal that we check this place out throughout the day. So, are you here for NBA draft picks or UK's success?

There are certain subjects that really get to people, and this is one of them. I never said anything about why I or anyone else is here. I made a comment about a guy that spoke to UK fans bragging about NBA players. That is it. You are arguing a point that I never made.

But if I was going to argue, I would simply say there are a wide variety of things that contribute to UK success. One of those things is professional players, and that goes for every sport we play. As I had previously mentioned, I would rather win a title than have NBA players, but the two aren't mutually exclusive as some would have you believe.

Reactions: kyjeff1

Chase Jeter
Ray Smith
Cliff Alexander
Rashad Vaughan
Chris McCullough
Marcus Lee
Austin Nichols
Grant Jerrett
DaJuan Coleman

Understand your point, but without Marcus Lee does Kentucky beat Michigan in 2014 to go to the final four?

I'm fairly confident Cal knows what Diallo is going to do. Johnson is probably waiting until after the NBA deadline to make his decision which is the smart thing to do.
Recruiting the 2017 class is over. If Diallo returns UK's roster is loaded with highly athletic wings and forwards. Either way, UK roster is in the top 1% in the country imo.

There are certain subjects that really get to people, and this is one of them. I never said anything about why I or anyone else is here. I made a comment about a guy that spoke to UK fans bragging about NBA players. That is it. You are arguing a point that I never made.

But if I was going to argue, I would simply say there are a wide variety of things that contribute to UK success. One of those things is professional players, and that goes for every sport we play. As I had previously mentioned, I would rather win a title than have NBA players, but the two aren't mutually exclusive as some would have you believe.
Call it good. I didn't intend to argue.

Only at Kentucky could some in the fan base be disappointed with only 7 McDonalds AA's on the roster.

Because it's not about that anymore. This isn't '08.

Cal has no trouble landing Buger Boys, but they ususally come in super raw, a few overrated, and the legit ones bolt. Rinse, repeat.

Not a title or bust guy, but I want Cal to have a supreme legacy. Right now it's great but he's really around Pitino with more nba guys (which I love having for historical record).

Everyone's looking at this differently and from different POV, while debating only the side they believe individually.

People Gotta look at the other side of the coin and at least understand what others are saying and stop debating straw man.

Reactions: spotter34
Because it's not about that anymore. This isn't '08.

Cal has no trouble landing Buger Boys, but they ususally come in super raw, a few overrated, and the legit ones bolt. Rinse, repeat.

Not a title or bust guy, but I want Cal to have a supreme legacy. Right now it's great but he's really around Pitino with more nba guys (which I love having for historical record).

Everyone's looking at this differently and from different POV, while debating only the side they believe individually.

People Gotta look at the other side of the coin and at least understand what others are saying and stop debating straw man.

I agree it's always appropriate to look "at the other side of the coin" and I try to do that almost every time before I post something. Next years roster is loaded with talent at every position. The SG spot is clearly the weak link but there are answers to that. Now the talent is raw and inexperienced but it is there nonetheless. What I like is that there are a few players that may not be one and done which as we all know will help with cohesion and chemistry the following years but in the mean time we have the talent to compete against anyone right now. It's just a matter of how quickly will they fall into their roles and buy into what Cal is teaching them, but we should have some players left over off this roster, Green, Alexander, Baker, Wynyard, and one or two out of Gabriel, SKJ, PJ, JV, and Richards. That's exciting to me.

Reactions: morgousky
I thought he was laughing at you saying "Only prayer we have next season is if Diallo returns." A player we never seen play one second of college basketball.
Well I am saying imagine how we will be without him relying on the other 6 or 7 guys we have never seen play a second of college basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT