ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Fredrick

Kybluedude said “Great teams are composed of a mix of players with different skill sets and abilities that mesh together.”
Agree 100%

Best example i can think of is the 1998 team - 2 players who shared the 5 position and played in the NBA, Nazr and Jamaal.
The rest were complimentary players - Shep, Edwards, Evans, Padgett, Mills, Turner, Saul Smith. All playing for the name on the front of their jersey and not the back of the jersey. Won the NC just like the 96 team but with nowhere near the talent. You have 13 scholarships to offer. In addition to the abilities that mesh together, these teams should also be balanced with a mix of freshmen thru seniors. A 3* senior may be a better player than a 5* freshman; less talent but more experience.

Cal recruits athletes with a prerequisite on “long”. Need to recruit basketball players who have the individual skills but also basketball IQs. Names that come to mind include those listed above, Ulis, Quickley, the Unfogettables, Chuck Hayes, Kyle Macy, Roger Harden, Eric Daniels etc. It is wonderful when you can get players like Mashburn and Davis who are great atheletes but also skilled basketball players but they are few and far between. Maybe you recruit a player who has a predominant skill like Cameron Mills (shooter), a shot blocker/rebounder like Isaiah Jackson who may develop his offensive skills in time, a shut down defender like Gilchrist who did not have much of an offensive game, but without him in 2012, we don’t win the championship. In his tenure, Cal has mostly recruited the best athletes with all the meaureables and tries to mold them into a team by March. “This is hard” and “they are young“ are ad nauseum comments from Cal every year, but he creates these problems himself.

Reactions: Kybluedude
And again... gettlng more shooters is the point. Even Cal admitted that. That is the one trick pony we are missing.

Grady is a nice pickup but adding Powell or CJ or both would have been a huge up grade in our shooting from outside.

and no one is even sure if Mintz is coming back.

Shooting is the key no one has said they need to fly through the air with the greatest of ease!
Yes, but if that shooter can't do anything else, he won’t play.
Baylor, Gonzaga, Villanova and many other programs, are showing everyone the blueprint to winning titles.
Everyone they put on the floor can get hot from the outside, they can drive, they can defend and they can rebound.
If Baylor can get those guys, certainly John Calipari can.
Fredrick would not crack the top 8 on Baylor's roster, because all he can do is shoot.
However, I hope he proves me wrong, I hope he comes here and makes me eat crow, but after watching how real guards play, then watching Fredrick, something tells me I won't be eating crow.
Do you know how many calories are in crow by chance? I'm counting calories, maybe crow is a viable option.

Reactions: DJ-Normie12
Iowa fans on the rivals main board said he’s a great shooter, but can’t play a lick of defense. Cal won’t play him.
That’s what I'm talking about. If he can't play defense, Cal won’t even offer and I agree with that.
Yes, Cal said we need more shooters, but that doesn't mean he's just going to go out and get guys that can ONLY shoot, no, he is going to go get complete basketball players that can do it all.

‘Fredrick scored 21 points and made 5 threes in Iowa's win over North Carolina in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge, 23 points on five made 3s in an overtime loss to Minnesota, 19 points in a win over Northwestern and 18 points in a win over Penn State.

He made at least one 3 in 18 games this season, multiple treys in seven games and at least three 3s six times. He made five triples twice.’

Reactions: RunninRichie
On the other hand, I never imagined that I'd see some posters on Rupp Rafters of all places poo-pooing the possible addition of a 47% 3 Point Shooter and former Kentucky Gatorade Player of the year.

Given that we regularly see posts complaining about both the lack of 3 Point Shooting and that Cal doesn't go after more Kentucky kids.
I said he was a nice player? I don’t believe he makes or breaks next year’s team. Sorry.

Yes, but if that shooter can't do anything else, he won’t play.
Baylor, Gonzaga, Villanova and many other programs, are showing everyone the blueprint to winning titles.
Everyone they put on the floor can get hot from the outside, they can drive, they can defend and they can rebound.
If Baylor can get those guys, certainly John Calipari can.
Fredrick would not crack the top 8 on Baylor's roster, because all he can do is shoot.
However, I hope he proves me wrong, I hope he comes here and makes me eat crow, but after watching how real guards play, then watching Fredrick, something tells me I won't be eating crow.
Do you know how many calories are in crow by chance? I'm counting calories, maybe crow is a viable option.
Stop. Please. More than capable on both ends of of the floor. Every article not only points out his offensive ability particularly shooting but his defense. He will be ok. Maybe just maybe our HC will mix in some new defenses at times ... like a zone instead of continually switching everything in his man to man.
——
Fredrick's ability to space the floor with his 50 percent three-point shooting has helped allow national player of the year candidate Luke Garza more room inside to do his damage. Perhaps his biggest contribution is on the defensive end. Fredrick has been called one of the best perimeter defenders on the team by teammates and Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery.

Stop. Please. More than capable on both ends of of the floor. Every article not only points out his offensive ability particularly shooting but his defense. He will be ok. Maybe just maybe our HC will mix in some new defenses at times ... like a zone instead of continually switching everything in his man to man.
——
Fredrick's ability to space the floor with his 50 percent three-point shooting has helped allow national player of the year candidate Luke Garza more room inside to do his damage. Perhaps his biggest contribution is on the defensive end. Fredrick has been called one of the best perimeter defenders on the team by teammates and Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery.
Hey man, I'm just playing devil's advocate, I'm not the one managing the team or roster, if I was, I would focus more on offense than Cal does. I would put much more emphasis on the 3 ball and I would build veteran teams that would be much more cohesive on both ends of the floor.

You're telling me to stop, but all I'm doing is telling it like it is. Cal is and always has been, a defense first coach and Fredrick is not a particularly good defender, in fact, nobody on Iowa's roster was a good defender.

Don't blame me for telling it like it is.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Juzang could shoot, sat on the bench

Allen can shoot, sits on the bench

You can have multiple shooters, but they are no help, sitting on the bench.

Cal is all in on defense and 5 stars.
If you are not an nba prospect, you better be a flawless basketball player if you're going to get decent playing time at UK under Cal. If there is one flaw in your game, you won't play.

But if you're an nba talent, you can literally lose 6 games in a row all by yourself and still continue to get 30 minutes a game. 20/21 was the exclamation point on that, it was front and center every time UK took the court.

Cal didn’t load up on a bunch of 2nd tier 5* kids this year, so maybe there is hope.

That’s what I'm talking about. If he can't play defense, Cal won’t even offer and I agree with that.
Yes, Cal said we need more shooters, but that doesn't mean he's just going to go out and get guys that can ONLY shoot, no, he is going to go get complete basketball players that can do it all.
disagree totally......
if this kid can score, he is badly needed
NO ONE on last year's squad could score NOR could they play defense
Cal recruits "athletes" not basketball players
the faster they run or higher they jump, the more he likes them

Reactions: Kyhoward
If you are not an nba prospect, you better be a flawless basketball player if you're going to get decent playing time at UK under Cal. If there is one flaw in your game, you won't play.

But if you're an nba talent, you can literally lose 6 games in a row all by yourself and still continue to get 30 minutes a game. 20/21 was the exclamation point on that, it was front and center every time UK took the court.

Cal didn’t load up on a bunch of 2nd tier 5* kids this year, so maybe there is hope.
he didn't load up on 5* because they picked other schools.....not for the lack of wanting to sign them
I do not believe Cal learned anything from last years embarrassment. He is too stubborn & his ego will not let him admit that he needs to change systems, coaches & many other things to bring UK back.

If Mintz returns, Frederick comes and we land a BIGTIME PG, Allen may play less minutes than last year, unless we truly play four guards ... Grady and Mintz will probably play at least 25-30 minutes a game. They can drive the ball, play defense and are experienced ... and I assume Frederick will be ahead of Allen.

Last edited:
disagree totally......
if this kid can score, he is badly needed
NO ONE on last year's squad could score NOR could they play defense
Cal recruits "athletes" not basketball players
the faster they run or higher they jump, the more he likes them
Last year isn't the standard. It was a total disaster, so using 20/21 as a guide is a mistake.

Cal is the coach and from 2009 through the 19/20 season, he was a defensive first coach, that isn't going to go away.

If you are not an NBA prospect, you come out if you get beat on defense, that has been proven over and over.

I realize Cal is changing things, but there is no way he's going to let up on his defensive principles.

he didn't load up on 5* because they picked other schools.....not for the lack of wanting to sign them
I do not believe Cal learned anything from last years embarrassment. He is too stubborn & his ego will not let him admit that he needs to change systems, coaches & many other things to bring UK back.
You could be right, he did certainly try to get most of the kids in the top 10. I'm sure he'll change some things, but I doubt he will change all the things we have been clamoring for.

Last year isn't the standard. It was a total disaster, so using 20/21 as a guide is a mistake.

Cal is the coach and from 2009 through the 19/20 season, he was a defensive first coach, that isn't going to go away.

If you are not an NBA prospect, you come out if you get beat on defense, that has been proven over and over.

I realize Cal is changing things, but there is no way he's going to let up on his defensive principles.
except for his favorites

the unlucky one that he chooses to be the whipping boy is the one that plays by these rules

Regardless of how good your defense is, if you can't score you can't win

kids just don't play well with that kind of pressure, the constant yelling, the constant jerking out of the game
they need to be able to play thru mistakes

I truly believe this is one of the main reasons that UK no longer gets the top recruits & kids leave
No one wants to be constantly embarrassed on national tv by all of Cal's antics
Other coaches get the point across with out this

He said the game has changed were you need more skill on the floor, even if it means giving up some defense so isn’t that what he is doing recruiting skilled shooters? I get it, you won’t believe till you see it but he seems to be recruiting to a new style offense anyway.

except for his favorites

the unlucky one that he chooses to be the whipping boy is the one that plays by these rules

Regardless of how good your defense is, if you can't score you can't win

kids just don't play well with that kind of pressure, the constant yelling, the constant jerking out of the game
they need to be able to play thru mistakes

I truly believe this is one of the main reasons that UK no longer gets the top recruits & kids leave
No one wants to be constantly embarrassed on national tv by all of Cal's antics
Other coaches get the point across with out this
You're preaching to the choir

Iowa fans that say he can't play defense are just mad he's leaving. He was probably one of the better perimeter defenders on our team when he was healthy. Not that that is saying much but he's not a bad defender.

I'm curious how serious his foot injuries are. I know he had surgery last season and missed some games and 2nd halves this year with plantar fasciitis. I'm assuming Cal is looking at him as a reserve and 20-25 MPG guy, but he could go somewhere else and play more. But perhaps the foot is a chronic issue and he's OK not playing starter minutes. The most minor ankle sprain at UK puts you in a walking boot.

I'd love to have him regardless.

‘Fredrick scored 21 points and made 5 threes in Iowa's win over North Carolina in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge, 23 points on five made 3s in an overtime loss to Minnesota, 19 points in a win over Northwestern and 18 points in a win over Penn State.

He made at least one 3 in 18 games this season, multiple treys in seven games and at least three 3s six times. He made five triples twice.’

Reactions: University-6
He said the game has changed were you need more skill on the floor, even if it means giving up some defense so isn’t that what he is doing recruiting skilled shooters? I get it, you won’t believe till you see it but he seems to be recruiting to a new style offense anyway.
he talks that crap, but has only gotten 1 shooter for next year
he has turned down Powell, an all around basketball player
he has made no changes to the staff
he will not change anything, imo…………..he is too stubborn to admit that his system is very flawed

some whine and cry about OAD players
some whine and cry about lower ranked players and transfers
some whine and cry about both (they always seem to move the goal posts)

Reactions: University-6
So many bad takes on here - just listened to Andy Sweeney on 680 Louisville saying if we are getting CJ Fredrick and not getting TyTy or Carr than it doesn’t really help. How stupid are people? Fredrick is a piece and that’s it - you put him in hope he drains a few threes makes a steal grabs a board
No one with 1/2 brain thinks he’s going to be anything but a good teammate and try to help anyway possible he can. He has no bearing on Point guards or Mintz or Miller or anyone else. Sad thing is that most of the youngsters on here are upset CJ doesn’t have a mixtape dunking every play to a bad rap song long BJ Boston & Terrance Clarke
Two absolute busts

ADVERTISEMENT