ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Fredrick

Always thought it was weird that Powell never returned to play for Auburn after his injury. Concussions are serious I know, but still seems like he just quit on his team bc Cooper took his spot
I will readily admit that I do not know the details of the situation, but I had the exact same thought. Clearly, he had the ability to play off-ball ...

Reactions: TM2013
Cal has done a pretty good job of weeding out the knuckleheads. Many times we find out later why the staff passed on a player. Lots of red flags with Powell, I'll go with Cal on this one.
I don't think it's Powell, himself. It's more his dad that's the knucklehead. From what I gather, anyway.

It's obvious that guy is full of bs but I wouldn't mind it if it happened.He would be a nice role player off the bench and we always seem to have injuries.

Reactions: Titpwhami2014
he is now...:) Nice numbers, but he is pretty slow footed - he should make for a nice sharp shooter off the bench though....

I think he can contribute at Kentucky. The key will be the ball movement and other guards. If everyone does their role CJ can be successful here...that is if he chooses to come to UK.

Sign him up , he battled injuries last year. He is better than anyone except Mintz we had last year, we need LOTS of good players.

Reactions: Mr.Morris
Anthony Epps Cam MIlls Travis Ford John Pelphrey Deron Feldhaus Richie Farmer Dom Hawkins Naza Muhammad Heshimu Evans Mark Pope and so many many others would never have played at UK if the coaches listened to some of the recruiting experts on RR.

Great teams are composed of a mix of players with different skill sets and abilities that mesh together. Depth.

I don’t understand the infatuation with Frederick. Nice player, but we can do better.

On the other hand, I never imagined that I'd see some posters on Rupp Rafters of all places poo-pooing the possible addition of a 47% 3 Point Shooter and former Kentucky Gatorade Player of the year.

Given that we regularly see posts complaining about both the lack of 3 Point Shooting and that Cal doesn't go after more Kentucky kids.

I think Grady is going to be good for us. He's about as good as you can expect from the portal. Not a superstar, but a solid player.
Do you guys have amnesia? Every one on this board was going nuts for more shooters and after passing on Powell and signing Grady, that was just adding 1.
Is that all you think we need after last years ridiculous display?
We should have taken Powell and CJ is a no brainer. CJ has averaged about 45% from 3 his first two years at Iowa.

Do you guys have amnesia? Every one on this board was going nuts for more shooters and after passing on Powell and signing Grady, that was just adding 1.
We should have taken Powell and CJ is a no brainer. CJ has averaged about 45% from 3 his first two years at Iowa.
I don't have amnesia but you've got reading comprehension issues. What in the holy hell are you carrying on about? Where did I say anything about any of that? I said Grady should help and is a solid addition. Wtf man?

On the other hand, I never imagined that I'd see some posters on Rupp Rafters of all places poo-pooing the possible addition of a 47% 3 Point Shooter and former Kentucky Gatorade Player of the year.

Given that we regularly see posts complaining about both the lack of 3 Point Shooting and that Cal doesn't go after more Kentucky kids.
I think every UK fan on this board wants a 47% three point shooter on the roster, but do you remember why Dontaie Allen sat the pine most of the year? Do you recall what everyone on here said the issue was? Defense.
This kid here is a great shooter, but many of us don't want to see another kid get glued to the bench because his man scored a couple baskets.
As long as Cal is coaching, we will be a defense first program.
Iowa had a fatal flaw in 20/21 (well, every year under Fran) and it was defense, both individual and team defense.
I think it’s something to talk about at least.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Aaaaand the legend of Powell lives on.

Powell was a good fit at Auburn, because they love shooting threes, but Powell is a 1 trick pony that simply wouldn’t have played here and I feel the same way about Fredrick. Both kids are great shooters, but that's all they can do.

I'd say it's the other way around..KSR said Pawell would likely commit on the spot with an offer..IMO Powell is not near as good as he and some here think he is...I'm glad we passed..No way he would start at UK next year..He is Askew 2.0
Stoney cat are you always stoned? Askew 2.0 wow .. put the pipe down for a little while.

Aaaaand the legend of Powell lives on.

Powell was a good fit at Auburn, because they love shooting threes, but Powell is a 1 trick pony that simply wouldn’t have played here and I feel the same way about Fredrick. Both kids are great shooters, but that's all they can do.
And again... gettlng more shooters is the point. Even Cal admitted that. That is the one trick pony we are missing.

Grady is a nice pickup but adding Powell or CJ or both would have been a huge up grade in our shooting from outside.

and no one is even sure if Mintz is coming back.

Shooting is the key no one has said they need to fly through the air with the greatest of ease!

I don't have amnesia but you've got reading comprehension issues. What in the holy hell are you carrying on about? Where did I say anything about any of that? I said Grady should help and is a solid addition. Wtf man?
My bad Smed.. was meant for posters who quoted you...saying why take CJ or Powell when Grady so much better.

My point to them is Cal said we needed more shooters.
And that is what Powell and CJ excel at.
The question is not about their all around games.
All about adding more shooting from outside!

Reactions: SmedMoley
Maybe someone talked about this already, but how healthy is Fredrick? He didn't look like he moved real well last season for Iowa. He may not have been the greatest of athletes to begin with, but he used to move better than what I saw last season. I read that Fredrick has plantar fasciitis issues currently, and I was wondering if he had other physical ailments he dealt with at Iowa? More importantly, will health issues be a problem for him going forward?

Iowa fans on the rivals main board said he’s a great shooter, but can’t play a lick of defense. Cal won’t play him.

Reactions: kyjeff1
He can play and will be a starter
I guess you think he's going elsewhere. He'll be a great 7th or 8th man. He's not a pg and isn't playing ahead of grady. Can't get enough shooters, ask Baylor. Dudes coming off the bench shooting 40% from 3.

My bad Smed.. was meant for posters who quoted you...saying why take CJ or Powell when Grady so much better.

My point to them is Cal said we needed more shooters.
And that is what Powell and CJ excel at.
The question is not about their all around games.
All about adding more shooting from outside!
OK. No worries. I was afraid you'd lost your mind for a bit lol. It happens to all of us.

ADVERTISEMENT