ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Fredrick, shot maker

This sounds terrific, but if I could ask a silly question, what are we comparing this to? I'm not expecting that there's an official record for this but any data at all for comparison would be great. Specifically how did other great three-point shooters do with this drill when they were undergrads?

Reactions: dl51344
I’m not sure if any of you have done this drill but you get any easy 100 shots up in five minutes. Maybe more if you’ve got multiple rebounders. 63 out of 100+ is very doable if you are a decent shooter.

I’m not sure if any of you have done this drill but you get any easy 100 shots up in five minutes. Maybe more if you’ve got multiple rebounders. 63 out of 100+ is very doable if you are a decent shooter.
Ill take 63% from 3 from CJ on the season.
Make no mistake fatigue starts to set in those last 25 or so.

I don't think he was getting the ball fast enough to get in 100 shots in 5 minutes. In the 2 minutes and 20 seconds of this clip, he took around 37 shots. Ignoring the 3 shots where his shot collided with another ball (2 of which I heard a coach yell "count it") he made 29 of 34 - over 85%.

Much more than a catch and shoot guy:

He looks great, he makes smart moves to utilize his limited athleticism. Catch and shoot or off the bounce with any light he drills it. Beautiful stroke. At one point during his RS Freshman season up to conference play he was averaging 11PPG on 64% from 3.

My bad. CJ, is a catch and shoot phenom. He’s not going to create much for himself, especially with all the injuries.

I think we need to forget about his injuries, he has had a whole year to heal. Shoot when i was older than that I healed very quickly from mayor back surgeries. I think he has been getting a lot better treatment at UK than at Iowa.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk and kelzer
Guess my point is that in shooting drills great shooters hit more than 63% by quite a bit. So this clip is nice to get a look see but isn’t some great shooting feat.
As I said above, he hit 85% in the clip - way over 63%.

Reactions: Fox2monk
i assume this is a routine drill nowadays for teams.
does anybody know the record for uk players...or anybody else for that matter

CJ has been through so much to get healthy.
I hope he makes a case for a career in the League.
If he does, we'll be smiling in April...

200.gif

I don't think he was getting the ball fast enough to get in 100 shots in 5 minutes. In the 2 minutes and 20 seconds of this clip, he took around 37 shots. Ignoring the 3 shots where his shot collided with another ball (2 of which I heard a coach yell "count it") he made 29 of 34 - over 85%.
No way anybody can get up 100 shots in 300sec that's 1 make every 3 sec he is not even getting the ball every 3 sec...

Tried to count them, I believe CJ shot 38 in 2:20. That would come out to 81 shots in 5 minutes attempted. 63/81 is 77%. That is pretty impressive.

Tried to count them, I believe CJ shot 38 in 2:20. That would come out to 81 shots in 5 minutes attempted. 63/81 is 77%. That is pretty impressive.
Yeah it is. It’s amazing how great shooters are in practice but after five minutes fatigue does set in. Even in 3 point contests by the end of launching from the racks they are a bit worn out.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
False.
I just stopwatched it, and CJ got 16 shots off in 1 minute. That is 80 in 5 minutes. 64 out of 80 would be 80%.

Will be cool if he can actually get looks in games. Knocking down wide open jumpers in practice is only part of the equation.
Fredrick hit 46.1% and 47.4% of his shots from behind the arc his last two seasons at Iowa. You don't get much better than that in college. I expect him to get looks here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT