ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Fredrick drawing quite the attention

I doubt he comes here. It would've already happened if this has been in the works since right after the season ended, like Matt Jones and Drew Franklin said it was.

I doubt he comes here. It would've already happened if this has been in the works since right after the season ended, like Matt Jones and Drew Franklin said it was.
I agree... He might be waiting to announce after TC situation out of respect.. but I also feel if he doesn’t announce by at least Monday or Tuesday, he’s not coming.

Reactions: ukfan041
Why isn’t this guy ranked that highly on the top transfers list? I see Miller is ranked 2 or 3. Why are people preferring Frederick over Miller?

Reactions: KyFaninNC

With the tampering whining, I imagine he’s taking his time. He’ll be a Wildcat.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I agree... He might be waiting to announce after TC situation out of respect.. but I also feel if he doesn’t announce by at least Monday or Tuesday, he’s not coming.
Entirely possible something was going to happen this weekend, and then the TC tragedy pushed some stuff back.

Why isn’t this guy ranked that highly on the top transfers list? I see Miller is ranked 2 or 3. Why are people preferring Frederick over Miller?

I think it is because everyone has a different option on players. Most just like different players for some reason.

I don't think he would get much playing time here. I don't see why he would come here when he could get a lot more playing time at a lot of other places. He is not the type player that Calipari likes. He is a lot like Allen, good shooter not overly athletic, and Allen didn't play very much, so what would lead you to believe Fredrick would.

I'm all about bringing CJ to UK, but two things need to be understood.
#1 - he has to know what his projected role is going to be. He will not be a 35mpg player until he becomes a great defender.

#2 - bringing CJ in, doesn't cost us the opportunity to bring in guys like Carr and/or Washington. I'm not sure what the scholarship situation is right now, but it’s probably best to assume Mintz and Brooks are coming back since they haven't entered their names into the portal.

Cal has specific things he's looking for right now, guys like Fredrick are a luxury and if he is good with coming to UK to play spot minutes, then sign him up, but he better know that this isn’t going to be easy and it takes a lot more than just great shooting to play. If he stays the course, he could be a primary weapon in 2 years.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I don't think he would get much playing time here. I don't see why he would come here when he could get a lot more playing time at a lot of other places. He is not the type player that Calipari likes. He is a lot like Allen, good shooter not overly athletic, and Allen didn't play very much, so what would lead you to believe Fredrick would.
If I'm Fredrick, I take on the challenge.

He has a skill that most kids in college don't have, elite shooting. If he can come in here and work his tail off on things like defense and rebounding, he could be a Doron Lamb or maybe even a Tyler Herro type contributor.

Cal bringing in a player like CJ (and Grady) shows he’s adapting. My interest in the situation has definitely risen.

Because we went 9-16 with athletes that can’t shoot - that’s why

I'm all about bringing CJ to UK, but two things need to be understood.
#1 - he has to know what his projected role is going to be. He will not be a 35mpg player until he becomes a great defender.

#2 - bringing CJ in, doesn't cost us the opportunity to bring in guys like Carr and/or Washington. I'm not sure what the scholarship situation is right now, but it’s probably best to assume Mintz and Brooks are coming back since they haven't entered their names into the portal.

Cal has specific things he's looking for right now, guys like Fredrick are a luxury and if he is good with coming to UK to play spot minutes, then sign him up, but he better know that this isn’t going to be easy and it takes a lot more than just great shooting to play. If he stays the course, he could be a primary weapon in 2 years.
Yeah I mean if we get Mintz back to go with Allen and Grady that's a logjam starting to begin at the 2-3. I know Mintz can play PG, but we don't want him to be our #1 I don't think. CJ would have to wait his turn and play spot minutes or come in and be redhot. If Brooks and Mintz are back that puts us at 10. If Cj joins 11. Cal usually doesn't go past 11, but he is changing some so maybe he is willing to go to at least 12 because we still need to add a PG.

I think ESPN has CJ as the 48th ranked transfer. So as long as we are still going after a couple of other transfers and or Washington and add at least 1 I'm fine with it, but there are clearly better options in the portal. Cal seems to be going only guard which we need, but man I wish we would add Disu. He's 6ft9 and shoots 37% from 3. That gives Cal the long athletic guys he loves and the shooting. I also really like Mitchel out of Umass. Plus Colorodo's Wright may enter the portal. THere is a lot and I hope we add at least 2 besides CJ. If so then cool.

Yeah I mean if we get Mintz back to go with Allen and Grady that's a logjam starting to begin at the 2-3. I know Mintz can play PG, but we don't want him to be our #1 I don't think. CJ would have to wait his turn and play spot minutes or come in and be redhot. If Brooks and Mintz are back that puts us at 10. If Cj joins 11. Cal usually doesn't go past 11, but he is changing some so maybe he is willing to go to at least 12 because we still need to add a PG.

I think ESPN has CJ as the 48th ranked transfer. So as long as we are still going after a couple of other transfers and or Washington and add at least 1 I'm fine with it, but there are clearly better options in the portal. Cal seems to be going only guard which we need, but man I wish we would add Disu. He's 6ft9 and shoots 37% from 3. That gives Cal the long athletic guys he loves and the shooting. I also really like Mitchel out of Umass. Plus Colorodo's Wright may enter the portal. THere is a lot and I hope we add at least 2 besides CJ. If so then cool.
Good post, I agree with what you are saying and I also agree on Disu, that kid is a bigtime weapon.

But for me, getting Carr is the best thing Cal can do. Tyty is really good, but for 21/22, we need a bigtime veteran since we already have Hickman, who is steadily climbing the rankings. He will be our lead guard in 22/23 unless Skyy blows up and still comes to UK.

But, I think Cal is good with our bigs judging by his actions. He doesn't seem to be reaching out to anyone at the 4 and 5 positions and that tells me 1 of two things.
1) He thinks Jackson might be coming back (unlikely and should not be counted on)
Or
2) He's planning on playing a 3 or possibly even a 4 guard lineup. Gotta fit Toppin in there somewhere, but Cal appears to be loading up on guards and that is great news. Teams that have the best guards are the ones that are winning big. Plus, Oscar and Collins are good enough to handle the post.

I like what I'm seeing so far.

Actually most of the posts I have seen here have been negative.Just because he isn't a star doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good addition.
Some people still believe only 5 stars, maybe an occasional 4, are the only ones worthy of wearing the blue and white.

Cue up “Don’t you want the best players?”

He’s the perfect kind of guy we need, we always need shooting and he shoots. He could help very much open the floor for the game Cal likes to play. Get Mintz back, him, Carr/Miller, and one more of these really solid transfers like Disu/Pippen and we will have a solid team.

ADVERTISEMENT