ADVERTISEMENT

CJ and Reeves

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
Losing in double OT to a team that took Gonzaga to the wire in a one point game would have disappointed me, but not concerned me.

But how dreadful CJ and Reeves played has me concerned. Combined ten points in 56 minutes. 2-10 combined from 3.

CJ looked like a guy you can’t afford to have on the court except maybe as a spot zone buster -when he’s not 1-7. Way too slow on D last night, too foul prone for a wing.

Reeves just looked out of his depth, like a guy who should be on a team with a direction prefix like Northern or Eastern.

Others played poorly (Toppin, Livingston) but if we saw the real CJ and Reeves, that’s a problem.

Reactions: Fox2monk and chroix
We don't run offense for them. What does anyone expect, unless they just start heaving up shots? Michigan States version of CJ, the Hueser kid, they ran screens for him the whole night. It's inept coaching. Savier Wheeler led us in 3 point attempts. Another win for State.

It’s because wheeler is in, Toppin is in, Collins is in, Ware is in, TOGETHER. Cal loves playing 3+ non shooters together and it ruins everything. You need 3 guards who can shoot on the floor the majority of the time (Wallace/Fredrick/reeves) and the entire offense will run much more smoothly. Cal does not have a clue what sort of rotations to run.

Reactions: Fox2monk and Mike-D
It's early, but my impression of both is that they really aren't the typical "Cal" kind of player-somewhat surprised that they are here. I've begun to think that "Dribble Drive" is a euphemism for individually talented players creating their own shots.

Both players can shoot and score..and might thrive in an offense that was designed to get them open shots, but I'm not sure this is that place. To be fair, it's early though, and it's possible that they will get more acclimated to the system as they stay here.

Reactions: Fox2monk
It's early, but my impression of both is that they really aren't the typical "Cal" kind of player-somewhat surprised that they are here. I've begun to think that "Dribble Drive" is a euphemism for individually talented players creating their own shots.

Both players can shoot and score..and might thrive in an offense that was designed to get them open shots, but I'm not sure this is that place. To be fair, it's early though, and it's possible that they will get more acclimated to the system as they stay here.
It’s supposed to be dribble drive motion, but I rarely see motion. Definitely no pick and roll, no screening, and like said above 4 non shooters on the court at once. Not a recipe for success. Cal believes he can win playing 1979 basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT