ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Wrestling fans are such snobs. I notice this most whenever I watch wrestling around casual fans.

The rumble got a huge reaction from the group of 5-6 people I was around. Everyone loves Cody. He is relatable. The Logan Paul and Ricochet spot got a big reaction.

People were underwhelmed by the Bray Wyatt match and then the post match thing happened and that quickly flipped. I was getting questions about who Howdy was and who the group of people were standing over them. They were all intrigued by Wyatt's character and I think most wrestling fans groan at supernatural stuff but I'm just here to tell you.....you are wrong. Supernatural characters bring in the casual audience. The fiend did the same thing, and people can complain about the booking but its difficult to book characters that aren't human.

No one cared about the women's matches. They liked Rhea and Asuka and that was about it. They said everyone else was boring including Bayley and Becky.

They all went crazy for Sami and the Roman/KO match.

Last edited:
Wrestling fans are such snobs. I notice this most whenever I watch wrestling around casual fans.

The rumble got a huge reaction from the group of 5-6 people I was around. Everyone loves Cody. He is relatable. The Logan Paul and Ricochet spot got a big reaction.

People were underwhelmed by the Bray Wyatt match and then the post match thing happened and that quickly flipped. I was getting questions about who Howdy was and who the group of people were standing over them. They were all intrigued by Wyatt's character and I think most wrestling fans groan at supernatural stuff but I'm just here to tell you.....you are wrong. Supernatural characters bring in the casual audience. The fiend did the same thing, and people can complain about the booking but its difficult to book characters that aren't human.

No one cared about the women's matched. They liked Rhea and Asuka and that was about it. They said everyone else was boring including Bayley and Becky.

They all went crazy for Sami and the Roman/KO match.
Pretty good summary - hard to disagree

Reactions: ryanbruner
It's Bray. Everything falls apart once he actually has to wrestle. All flash, no substance.
For the most part, I really just try to ignore what I don’t enjoy rather than just complaining all the time, but I seriously cannot stand the whole Bray Wyatt thing. I like his music but the rest of the package is just terrible, IMHO.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
Starks was supposedly at Wrestlemania last year when he returned to WWE.

Only thing announced for Raw so far is Rumble Winner Cody Rhodes will kick off the show.

I’m not generally into women with a masculine build or the goth type but lord have mercy, Rhea Ripley is sexy as hell. My type is more of the Lexi, Liv, Becky (petite and pretty type). Can’t pin point it, but Rhea would flat out get it.

Meh. Give me blonde headed non goth Rhea.

Rhea%2BRipley%2B%25286%2529.jpg

Starks was supposedly at Wrestlemania last year when he returned to WWE.

Only thing announced for Raw so far is Rumble Winner Cody Rhodes will kick off the show.
Yeah Starks is a big Cody guy. THey are pretty close, at least professionally, from what I've read.

Man I want to get into Cody but he just kinda rambles sometimes it’s like he’s telling a story instead of cutting a promo

The worst part of wrestling fandom is wrestling fans. Fickle. Cliquey. Blindspots such as fans of only AEW or only WWE who can’t admit both products have their good and bad points. One company fanboys are the absolute worst, where if someone criticizes their favorite company the fanboy calls that person a mark for the other company or takes a wrestler leaving one company for the other very personally.

Can’t forget the people who talk down to other fans who don’t have time to watch WWE, AEW, NXT, Impact, ROH, NJPW, and any and all indy feds in a given week. No, I didn’t watch Impact, nor did I care enough about Japanese wrestling to watch it in the middle of the night.

The worst part of wrestling fandom is wrestling fans. Fickle. Cliquey. Blindspots such as fans of only AEW or only WWE who can’t admit both products have their good and bad points. One company fanboys are the absolute worst, where if someone criticizes their favorite company the fanboy calls that person a mark for the other company or takes a wrestler leaving one company for the other very personally.

Can’t forget the people who talk down to other fans who don’t have time to watch WWE, AEW, NXT, Impact, ROH, NJPW, and any and all indy feds in a given week. No, I didn’t watch Impact, nor did I care enough about Japanese wrestling to watch it in the middle of the night.
1000%

They all have their cool/interesting things and they all have bad things. The fans who think that anything that happens in Japan is top tier also suck. This weekend the Roman Reigns and Sami stuff happened and the first thing I saw on twitter was someone putting a graphic of Omega/Ospreay up with the caption "this is real story telling" and then the Reigns/Sami side said something discrediting it.

1000%

They all have their cool/interesting things and they all have bad things. The fans who think that anything that happens in Japan is top tier also suck. This weekend the Roman Reigns and Sami stuff happened and the first thing I saw on twitter was someone putting a graphic of Omega/Ospreay up with the caption "this is real story telling" and then the Reigns/Sami side said something discrediting it.

A lot of it is because what’s good and bad in wrestling is very subjective. Very few things are universally loved or hated.

Some people will think a slower paced match with fewer high spots and more selling is better storytelling. Others will think a match with nothing but high spots and false finishes with hardly any selling is better storytelling. Both can be right depending on the preferences of the individual fan.

The everything is great in Japan is usually perpetuated by the workrate crowd. Moves stacked on top of moves just because. I would argue workrate is good, but you have to let the match breathe a little or it comes across as a video game match.

I’m not advocating 20 minute headlocks, but also not advocating not selling a piledriver off a ladder through a table for more than 5 seconds before kipping up and hitting a Canadian destroyer on the apron. But this is my preference and I completely understand someone else’s preference could be the direct opposite.

What is the most overused move in wrestling today a chop or superkick? I feel like most matches will have 30+ chops and with a Uso or Young Bucks match you will have about the same superkicks.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Chops can be overplayed, but I can usually suspend by belief watching them. Multiple super kicks are a little different, at least for me.

Reactions: TheBlueCat
If anyone is interested here's this week's Being The Elite. A couple of references to being in Lexington plus some good stuff with Mark Briscoe.

ADVERTISEMENT