ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

AEW announced the signing of Paul "Big Show" Wight to a long-term contract Wednesday, ending his 22-year stint with WWE.

In the press release, AEW noted that Wight will wrestle in addition to serving as a commentator for a new weekly YouTube show called AEW Dark: Elevation.

You Must be drinking that kool aid...I said it’s a fun product but not different or good - if someone gets offended so be it.

WWE is currently a terrible product except for Reigns - don’t get loyalties mixed up.
Wwe is fine too. I enjoy everything outside of some of the stuff raw is doing.

I just can't imagine many people caring about Big Show doing commentary on a YouTube show.
I’m interested. Never know until you hear him. Excalibur and Taz have surpringly been an outstanding pairing on Dark and I’ve seen a lot of people say they watch Dark to listen to those two specifically. Guess it’ll all depend on who is paired with Paul.

If he does happen to wrestle, I REALLY wish he’d go back to The Giant as his name. But I’m sure he will just go by his real name.

They’ve got to atleast have a match with him and Marko. 😂

If Kahn didn't pay him much he got a name. AEW's roster is starting to get big and Kahn needs more space for his wrestlers to be seen. Dark has gotten really long. If I watch Dark, I fast forward through unless I see something I think might be interesting and stop. That is how I was doing raw and smackdown until I got tired of McMahon land. I watch highlights on youtube now.

Looks like WWE moved Wight to their alumni section on February 19th
I was thinking it would have been better to have Big Show debut tonight but I think Dynamite is already taped. They have gotten tons of publicity about it so there's that.
If things go well next week I wonder if we get the Shaq vs. Big Show match that was supposed to happen at Wrestlemania a couple of years ago.

NXT has a huge show this evening

Adam Cole explains his recent actions.
WWE North American Champion Johnny Gargano vs. Dexter Lumis (non-title)
NXT Women's Champion Io Shirai vs. Zoey Stark.
NO DQ: WWE NXT Cruiserweight Champion Santos Escobar vs. Karrion Kross with Scarlett.
Xia Li vs. Kacey Catanzaro.
The Grizzled Young Veterans vs. Drake Maverick & Killian Dain

Over on Dynamite- on paper not the strongest lineup

Rey Fenix vs. Lance Archer - Winner Enters Face The Revolution Ladder Match.
Jon Moxley vs. Ryan Nemeth.
Hangman Adam Page vs. Private Parry's Isiah Kassidy with Matt Hardy.
Team Taz's Ricky Starks & FTW Champion Brian Cage vs The Varsity Blondes.
Jake Hager vs Brandon Cutler.

Hoping these people end up making the product more watchable - I think they are really talking this group up...

WWE announced what it called its "largest class of recruits" Wednesday, a group that includes former Impact Wrestling stars Taya Valkyrie and Eli Drake.

The additions include former UCF offensive lineman Parker Boudreaux and former Kennesaw State running back Bronson Rechsteiner, who's the son of tag team legend Rick Steiner.

Valkyrie was Impact Wrestling's Knockouts champion for 377 days, the longest reign in the history of the title. She has also appeared for AAA and Lucha Underground.

Fans have already gotten a taste of Drake, who debuted as LA Knight on the pre-show ahead of NXT TakeOver: Vengeance Day.
Despite the fact that they don't have any formal experience in the ring, Rechsteiner and Boudreaux will likely excite many in the WWE Universe.

Boudreaux started drawing comparisons to Brock Lesnar years ago and has already caught the eye of Paul Heyman.

Rechsteiner, meanwhile, seems destined to enjoy a long, successful career given his connections. When your dad is Rick Steiner and your uncle is Scott Steiner, going into the family business seems inevitable.

Think about why McMahon and WWE were offering Eddie Kingston a contract after he debuted on Dynamite.

I can just imagine the disparaging they had in mind.

Yes, AEW has a lot of wrestlers who appeared in the WWE.
When you were the only game in town for 2 decades, well, a lot of the veterans in your field played at the only game in town, whether in the minor leagues or the big leagues.

Like it's an insult, or a slap in the face, that an AEW wrestler was once in WWE. How stupid.

Please stop.

Reactions: TheExhaustedOne
Think about why McMahon and WWE were offering Eddie Kingston a contract after he debuted on Dynamite.

I can just imagine the disparaging they had in mind.

Yes, AEW has a lot of wrestlers who appeared in the WWE.
When you were the only game in town for 2 decades, well, a lot of the veterans in your field played at the only game in town, whether in the minor leagues or the big leagues.

Like it's an insult, or a slap in the face, that an AEW wrestler was once in WWE. How stupid.

Please stop.

Sorry to bother the 5% - can’t believe someone gets so bothered by an opinion or message board post.

Other than looking similar why is he drawing comparisons to Brock? Again, Brock Lesnar was a freak athlete who won the NCAA Wrestling National Championship. This guy is a decent Offensive Guard for UCF who left the team because of concussion issues and cut some body fat.

Other than looking similar why is he drawing comparisons to Brock? Again, Brock Lesnar was a freak athlete who won the NCAA Wrestling National Championship. This guy is a decent Offensive Guard for UCF who left the team because of concussion issues and cut some body fat.

Yeah I don’t know either except he fits that Vince protypical look that he likely fits the profile of.

Reactions: sefus12
Money is why we left - can’t really blame him...

So how did Wight and WWE split? According to PWInsider's Mike Johnson it all came down to money. the two sides were reportedly unable to come to terms on a new deal, and his contract ended shortly after his Legends Night appearance. He was apparently vocal that night abut his unhappiness with the negotiations. He was quietly moved to the WWE Alumni page last Friday.

"It's been amazing to watch what AEW has built in just a couple of years," Wight said in Wednesday's press release. "AEW Dark is an incredible platform to hone the skills of up-and-coming wrestlers, but I also love that established AEW talent can build out their personalities and showcase themselves in new ways on Dark. It's no exaggeration when they say that AEW is boundless."

Meant to post this earlier but so far I’ve really enjoyed the first two episodes of “Young Rock.”

I am hoping at some point they'll get to the Memphis days. First episode had his mom, dad and grandma, and the Samoans, JYD, Iron Sheik and Andre The Giant.

I know that last night was supposed to be a bad show but watched the entire episode of Dynamite. I promise that I'm not trying to shit on it but thats exactly what it was.

Reactions: Wesley91581
Oh man the lurkers might come after you - oh wait it’s just me they don’t like...always appreciate your honesty.

Well I'll go on and say it, I enjoyed Dynamite last night, thought the women's match was one of the better ones they've had. Actually over the last month there has been some good to very good matches. Only thing that didn't do much for me was Papa Buck getting beat up.

That being said IMO NXT was a better show, whenever Kross is on the screen (and Scarlett) I have to watch. I doubt if he will be on NXT past Wrestlemania.

Will be curious about the ratings when they come out later.

Reactions: TheExhaustedOne
Agree 100% on Kross and Scarlett. He's got the it to be a main eventer and she is a pure smoke show. The China segment on NXT was good too. AEW just seemed generic to me. The Buck's dad segment was awful. Road Warrior and Balding aren't going to scare off anyone and their acting is horrible. Daddy Buck did an awful job selling being beaten up.

The Sting/Darby segment looked like some generic shit you would see on youtubebackyardrasslin.

Reactions: K-mac18
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT