ADVERTISEMENT

CI Wrestling Thread #56

Johnny got that Ricky Morton selling down pat where he's taking blows to the head and reaching out to the fans for help. Johnny might be the best I've seen at selling since prime Brock Lesnar.

Here's a really good primer on Keith Lee from Deadspin. Has links to some of his matches from the indies against Donovan Dijak and Chris Hero. Hopefully those video links still work, but the article was written last year, so who knows.

He's the man though.

Pretty much sticking with NXT from this point forward. I’ll let you guys let me know when someone changes the direction of the main roster because everything about it pretty much sucks right now.

Whoever booked this should MOVE TO ATLANTa!!??!!!!

Reactions: Lexie's Dad
I actually thought the show was pretty last night. Alexa cashing in was a great way to keep the title off Rousey for a while.

If RR was to beat Lesnar at Summerslam and Braun cashes in it might be the biggest pop in recent memory.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
Does anyone else think having Strowman win the belt by MITB cash in would kind of cheapen him a little bit? I'd rather seem him come out tonight and say he is cashing in at Summer Slam and do it in advance. He shouldn't need the surprise element to do it.

Arm above the rope, folks

mark-starr-sick-boy.gif

Arm above the rope, folks

mark-starr-sick-boy.gif
I need to go back and watch the old Nitro shows, but didn't they give this guy the Pedigree as a finisher? I know they later gave it to Stevie Ray, they gave the Tombstone to Mongo and both Disco Inferno and Brutus the f'n Barber got the Stunner.

Nothing beats the early days of TNA when Brian Christopher had almost an entire move set of WWE finishers. I think he did the Stunner, Sweet Chin Music and People's Elbow.

They did indeed. Don't forget K-Dawg, Konnan the Vulgarian got a lazy pedigree as a finisher around this time too.

It was mentioned in this Best and Worst that Kona Crush showing up this episode as "omg is that...it is! BRIAN ADAMS" is the antecedent of TNA's entire existence

Reactions: Col. Angus
Konnan sucked. I don't think Konnan has gotten the credit he deserves for sucking. He was terrible at doing wrestling moves. He had the only bad Eddie Guerrero match I've ever seen at the infamous Uncensored 1996 show. The effort it takes to make Eddie Guerrero look bad is pretty top notch. But he always had a job because he brought in all the lucha guys.

I didn't like Crush at all, but somebody did, because he was on the short list of guys they wanted to have the belt when they started doing the New Generation movement in 1992-93. During his IC Title match with HBK at King of the Ring, Macho Man kept building up Crush as THE man - "CRUSH CAN SLAM YOKOZUNA YEAH! DO THE THING!"

...brah.

Has anyone ever had the MITB cash in after a title match and fail to beat the person that just won? That’s be hilarious. Seems like it’s a given they’re just gonna win.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
A Cuban who couldn't wrestle and dressed like Rico Suave's gay cousin was the Hulk Hogan of Mexican wrestling. It just goes against every preconceived notion you could possibly have.

Has anyone ever had the MITB cash in after a title match and fail to beat the person that just won? That’s be hilarious. Seems like it’s a given they’re just gonna win.
There was that mess with Baron Corbin last year where he interfered in Jinder Mahal vs. John Cena, beat both guys up, tried to cash in on Jinder, but then Cena did something and caused Jinder to get a sneak pin on Baron, but I don't know if that counts.

I agree, I want to see a guy cash in after a grueling match and then do the job clean as a whistle. It would be career suicide for the person it happens to, but I still want to see it happen.

Super Cena beat Sandow with one arm when he tried cashing in.
Oh man, I had forgotten about that one. That was one of the worst ones Cena ever did. I think Sandow challenged Cena at the start of Raw and they had their match in hour 2 and it wasn't even competitive.

Credit to Sandow, his run later as Miz's stunt double is one of the best comedy characters of my lifetime.

They did indeed. Don't forget K-Dawg, Konnan the Vulgarian got a lazy pedigree as a finisher around this time too.

It was mentioned in this Best and Worst that Kona Crush showing up this episode as "omg is that...it is! BRIAN ADAMS" is the antecedent of TNA's entire existence

Tony Schivone always sounded like the biggest mark “oh my gosh that’s curt hennig...the hottest free agent in professional wrestling”

That was a good segment.

Rousey pulling a classic Lesnar. Let's assault a GM so we don't have to show up for 2 months.

Reactions: GhostVol
I didn’t realize this but Meltzer verified it...Hogan never put Savage over...only time Savage won anything he was against Hogan in was that WW3 60 man battle royal in WCW...no wonder he had an inferiority complex.

I didn’t realize this but Meltzer verified it...Hogan never put Savage over...only time Savage won anything he was against Hogan in was that WW3 60 man battle royal in WCW...no wonder he had an inferiority complex.
From 1984 to 2001 Hulk Hogan lost "clean" to (and this includes house shows, TV tapings, dark matches, and PPVs): Warrior, Undertaker*, Yokozuna*, Flair (x2), Arn Anderson*, Lex Luger (x2), Sting (x6)*, Goldberg, Vampiro*, Billy Kidman*

*Note, that at least half of these losses involved a foreign object or outside interference. Undertaker, Yokozuna, Arn, like half of those Sting losses depending how picky you want to get, Vampiro and Billy Kidman.

So, in 17 years, Hogan lost by pinfall or submission 17 times. And without outside interference 8 times. For the first 12 years of that run, he lost 5 times and only once without interference or foreign object. And he got all of his wins back except Vampiro and Yokozuna.

Skip to 1:15:00

ADVERTISEMENT