ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Oats with a Serious Medical Issue

Only reason I think it isn't an injury is the language about it starting two days ago. To me if it was an injury, it wouldn't start. It would just happen.

Other possibility I guess is diverticulitis.

Just know way to know.

Just speculating like most everyone else. Just can't think of any kind of illness that requires rehab that isn't serious. Injuries can be pretty minor and require it, right now a high ankle spring isn't a huge deal that would require some rehab. I don't wish bad things on any athlete.

This definitely does not sound good. Suspect that he has been hospitalized for more than a week if he is now ready for rehabilitation. At his age group meningitis or encephalitis are my first thought in the absence of trauma/head injury. You also worry about blood clots / stroke or some type of cerebral aneurysm which while more common in older age groups can occur in twenty year olds. All of these can be life threatening so it is good news if he is being transferred.

The need for rehab suggests to me something that has a brain-behavior impact. I hope I am wrong. Chris impressed me as an exceptional young man and my prayers go to him and his family.

Reactions: clifm and The-Hack
Only reason I think it isn't an injury is the language about it starting two days ago. To me if it was an injury, it wouldn't start. It would just happen.

Other possibility I guess is diverticulitis.

Just know way to know.
Read for diverticulitis...ah, no . Don't think so unless he had to have part of his colon removed and you don't need to go into rehab . Wife did and no rehab.

You got it right the first time doc
Which would mean meningitis, which, unfortunately, makes sense. With rehab it sounds like spinal which is terrible. I think I'll just worry about his well being and not worry about the player. We know you have some access to info so I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited:
Reactions: doc4UK
When this PCP see's a LOS in the weeks and not days, a couple neurological pathologies are the first things that come to mind when thinking about serious medical issues. The first thing I think of would be a CVA, but meningitis is not uncommon in the college aged group, or even something like sepsis is a very serious condition that can take a while to fight back from.

Those are just three of many off the top of my head. My point is it can could be a whole host of conditions, who knows. We really don't even need to know. All we need to know is this kid needs are prayers for him, his family, and those taking care of him. Chris has all the potential in the world to play professionally, because he fights every day on the field. I like patients like him, because they don't ever give up. Give em hell big guy!

Had the same thought.... Any updates?

For this age group the list of potential issues is too large to reasonably speculate, but as others have mentioned, "rehab" suggests something bad....

Go CATS!

Which would mean meningitis, which, unfortunately, makes sense. With rehab it sounds like spinal which is terrible. I think I'll just worry about his well being and not worry about the player. We know you have some access to info so I'll just leave it at that.

Keep reading to the next part of his post, not meningitis BBFGA but doc nailed it

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
Read for diverticulitis...ah, no . Don't think so unless he had to have part of his colon removed and you don't need to go into rehab . Wife did and no rehab.
I had diverticulitis in Oct of "15.. Stayed in hospital from Oct 11th to Nov 12th.. Had 3 surgeries and 14" of colon removed.. I had to relearn to walk but did that at the hospital..

Not one to speculate and damn sure do not want rumors to start flying, but i wonder if it is a flare up of SCA ? I did some reading on it, it COULD the issue. Please do not take that as rumor starting I am just thinking of it as a possibility.

Not one to speculate and damn sure do not want rumors to start flying, but i wonder if it is a flare up of SCA ? I did some reading on it, it COULD the issue. Please do not take that as rumor starting I am just thinking of it as a possibility.
I think they only stay a couple of days with sickle cell.

Yes, but with low blood cells and a couple other complications or repercussions, you can be hospitalized. My best friend growing up had to be a couple times. It may not be, it was just a thought that crossed my mind.

Chronic pain is a common trait, and often causes those with it to spend months in a hospital followed by rehab. Some complications include susceptibility, stroke, leg ulcers, kidney dis-function. Therapies include blood transfusions, pain medication among others.

I don't think you paid attention to Docs post and then freetaxreturns post. If you don't know, freetaxreturn does have inside info many times. This has nothing to do with sickle cell.

I was criticized earlier in this thread with offering an opinion based on information the family had released. The adjective "very serious" medical situation is what concerns me the most as a physician.
bbblazing lashes into almost every topic...pay him no mind If it was more than him, i already have them on ignore (probably for similar)

Reactions: Dncmaxwell
I don't think you paid attention to Docs post and then freetaxreturns post. If you don't know, freetaxreturn does have inside info many times. This has nothing to do with sickle cell.
You can also have a stroke as a crisis of SCD.

Need him in the lineup.

This is a very insensitive post. I would not even be concerned right now with "needing him in the lineup." The kids health / life is in jeopardy and your first concern is needing him on the field ? Sometimes in life, sports takes a back seat, and this is one of them. yes I would love to have Chris back, but right now, IDGAF about his being on the filed.

I am sure you post wasn't meant as it read, at least I hope not. Maybe offer a prayer to his family, some well wishes, then hopefully continuing his career, but no mention of well wishes for the young man in your post is why I believe you are concerned about football as top priority. If i am wrong, I apologize, but at least edit your post to be clear.

I hope Chris makes it back to a classroom at UK.

If he makes it back to the field, that’s would be an extraordinary blessing or cherry on top!

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Well if Chris is reading this post (and you know he is / so he can find out what's wrong with him;).... I wish you well getting back your health... Nothing is quite so humbling as a week or two vacation in a Hospital Resort. Stay focused on the sunny side of life.

IF he can't come back glad he got to experience college football a couple of years. Just get better so can live a normal and happy life.
This is the direction we should be thinking. Not worried about the football team, which will be fine. Worried about Chris.

I am no expert. But as I understand these things, recovery from serious complications in young people is quite variable. After a time, some can end up living normal lives. Others cannot. Let's hope Chris is in the first group.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT