ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Livingston

Assuming we have Cal as coach, and the current class (including Dilly) all join, AND we return Livingston, Fredrick, Onyenso, Theiro, Ware, and Reeves. Then I could see something like:
Wagner & Dillingham about 32min
Livingston & Edwards about 28min
Onyenso about 26min
Reeves about 20min
Bradshaw, Fredrick, Theiro & Sheppard each about 7 min
Ware 4min

The problem I see is the shooting all coming off the bench. Certainly 4 of the 5 starters are capable, but all 4 will be streaky 35% at best.

• Haha
Reactions: ruppsrunt66
I’ll be shocked if he’s here next year . I believe he viewed himself as one and done . So he either declares anyway and bets on himself or he will transfer .

I’d like to see him back but seems unlikely .
A offseason of working on his 3 ball and shot and Kentucky could have a really good starting 5 next year
Wagner/dillingham, reeves, Edwards, Livingston, bradshaw/Ugonna

A offseason of working on his 3 ball and shot and Kentucky could have a really good starting 5 next year
Wagner/dillingham, reeves, Edwards, Livingston, bradshaw/Ugonna
Definitely agree . If he came back it would be huge . He definitely has to improve his outside shooting but also his handle . He has made some great moves to the basket but then he has also lost the ball or just flat out ran over a guy going to the basket lol .

Last edited:
do not believe Livingston will return..........why would he want to play for a coach that knows nothing about the game or how to develop talent. All he know is constant yelling, playing in a non existent system and out of position. yet his pets play regardless..........just the same old crap every year.

It's why 1AD recruiting is so tough. I don't like the few minutes he got the other night.. but CL HAS been given opportunities this year. So he's going to need to decide if he wants to risk the possibility of a similar role next year or transfer out to a lesser program.

It's not all Cal's fault here.. CL is an undersized PF, in a SF body that hasn't proven he can control the ball or create offense (although he's getting better as time goes on). We need Toppin at the 4, but we also need minutes for proven shooters like Reeves and CJ (although CJ clearly has the yips now).

I could see CL's minutes and usage go up if CJ continues to shoot poorly.

Do you think Cal will play him at the 4 next year?
CL does not want to play at the 4.
I doubt Edwards does either.
So what Cal will need to convince/sell them both on is the positionless-basketball concept, that they will both be playing outside-in, shooting 3's and driving. Taking advantage of the matchups defenses give them. That one or the other will guard the other team's 4, but that is good for them because the NBA has bigger guys than college, with a lot of SFs 6'8-6'9 even 6'10.

Also, CL very likely had plans to be a 1AD, but it seems to me that maybe he was a little bit "over" ranked. That's really no ones fault.. but if this notion upsets him.. the notion that he's going to have to play 2 years of college ball and that he isn't just going to be given 20+ minutes out of the gate.. then that's on him.

• Haha
So what Cal will need to convince/sell them both on is the positionless-basketball concept, that they will both be playing outside-in, shooting 3's and driving. Taking advantage of the matchups defenses give them. That one or the other will guard the other team's 4, but that is good for them because the NBA has bigger guys than college, with a lot of SFs 6'8-6'9 even 6'10.

I really don't understand why everyone wants CL at the 4 spot. I don't think that will work out the way we want it to. Sure, it gives us another deep threat on the floor, but it also means he's playing against other PFs that are simply bigger. It's going to create some match up problems. Not to mention, it would make Oscar's job a heck of a lot tougher than his "other" big man is just 6 foot 6.

Unfortunately, CL is a bit of a tweener

It's why 1AD recruiting is so tough. I don't like the few minutes he got the other night.. but CL HAS been given opportunities this year. So he's going to need to decide if he wants to risk the possibility of a similar role next year or transfer out to a lesser program.

It's not all Cal's fault here.. CL is an undersized PF, in a SF body that hasn't proven he can control the ball or create offense (although he's getting better as time goes on). We need Toppin at the 4, but we also need minutes for proven shooters like Reeves and CJ (although CJ clearly has the yips now).

I could see CL's minutes and usage go up if CJ continues to shoot poorly.
He had 8 points in the first half. It's CAL'S job to adjust his offense to help create situations for him to score. That's any coach's job. If Cal can't do that and then tries CYA in the post game pretending he forgot about him, CL SHOULD transfer.

I really don't understand why everyone wants CL at the 4 spot. I don't think that will work out the way we want it to. Sure, it gives us another deep threat on the floor, but it also means he's playing against other PFs that are simply bigger. It's going to create some match up problems. Not to mention, it would make Oscar's job a heck of a lot tougher than his "other" big man is just 6 foot 6.

Oscar's opponent Saturday was 6 foot 6 and he did a great job on Oscar.

He had 8 points in the first half. It's CAL'S job to adjust his offense to help create situations for him to score. That's any coach's job. If Cal can't do that and then tries CYA in the post game pretending he forgot about him, CL SHOULD transfer.

Yeah I don't understand why he only played 1 min in the 2nd half. Not really sure why that was or if Cal gave a reason. Still, he's getting nearly 20mpg as a freshman.

I'm sure Cal is lying, or possibly covering up what he really wanted to say. He didn't forget about CL, but I'm sure he just didn't like the fit against Kansas going into the 2nd half. Not that I agree with that notion. But that's likely what this was. And if CL wants to transfer because of that, so be it. But it's not like CL has been lighting the world on fire. We need Toppin at the 4, and we need proven shooters and offensive guys at the 2 and 3.

Oscar's opponent Saturday was 6 foot 6 and he did a great job on Oscar.

Oscar is ALSO undersized himself, and while his rebounding and heart are off the charts, the rest of his game is kind of lacking. I don't think CL at the 4-spots is better than rolling with Toppin at the 4 for rest of the year.

Reactions: BBNWildcat
He'll go somewhere else to get some actual coaching and development.

I pretty much expect that every significant contributor on the team this year will not be back next year for one reason or another.

• Wow
Reactions: 1_Cool_CAT
He'll go somewhere else to get some actual coaching and development.

I pretty much expect that every significant contributor on the team this year will not be back next year for one reason or another.

Wow!! I mean, there is definitely a trend showing some signs of that, but that is just my opinion!!

I agree, but will that happen is the question.

Kentucky is a much better team if you convince CL of that this year as well, but haven’t seen him at the 4 that im
Aware of.

Next year the guys are supposed to be even better so who knows.

We definitely have too many big men on this roster, but that is one man’s fault. It should be Oscar and one of ware/Collins as his backup at the 5. And it should be Toppin at the 4 with livingston backing him up, or about an even split. Instead we have Oscar, toppin, livingston, ware, Collins, ugonna, and only 80 minutes per game to divvy up. What you get is a coach who doesn’t want to upset anybody and in turn forces guys at positions they have no business playing. It all started in 2015.

I agree, but will that happen is the question.

Kentucky is a much better team if you convince CL of that this year as well, but haven’t seen him at the 4 that im
Aware of.

Next year the guys are supposed to be even better so who knows.
In order for that to happen Cal would have to scrap his offensive set system and simplyfy it and create space for the positionaless guys to create off the bounce and create offense that way. It just cant be done in with the way we crowd the lane with circle cuts etc. You can play 1-4 guys all 6-6 and under if you space the floor and let them use it. You'll get drives and shots from all 4.

In order for that to happen Cal would have to scrap his offensive set system and simplyfy it and create space for the positionaless guys to create off the bounce and create offense that way. It just cant be done in with the way we crowd the lane with circle cuts etc. You can play 1-4 guys all 6-6 and under if you space the floor and let them use it. You'll get drives and shots from all 4.
Put this in twitter and maybe Cal will see it and change, but I sincerely doubt it.

I’m being smart towards cal btw not you, I completely agree with that and would make this year and next years team a serious contender.

Assuming we have Cal as coach, and the current class (including Dilly) all join, AND we return Livingston, Fredrick, Onyenso, Theiro, Ware, and Reeves. Then I could see something like:

Onyenso about 26min

Reeves about 20min

Ware 4min

The problem I see is the shooting all coming off the bench. Certainly 4 of the 5 starters are capable, but all 4 will be streaky i35% at best.

if Sheppard only gets seven minutes a game...I ain't watchin

I’m not trying to quibble, and you might say that my next statement goes without saying. But wouldn’t you agree that it's Calipari’s job to adjust his offense to help create situations for the team to score, and for the team to win. If that means Livingston scores, fine. If that means others are primarily doing the scoring, so be it. While it is also Calipari’s job to help players get better individually, that should be wholly secondary to the team. Team success first and foremost. Then individual improvement. I know the two things are not mutually exclusive, but one should definitely take precedence over the other.

In general, people always want to see guys at spots they haven't seen them much at; they want to see players they've not seen play much yet; they think most every recruit is going to be better than they really are. Basically the upside possibility of the unknown excites them more than the bland-known.

I agree that CL is either a 'tweener' or a SF capable of playing PF.
By all accounts, CL arrived thinking he was a 2G/SF 'tweener'. Nope, he has no 2G in him. He should focus on being MKG with a jumpshot.

I think he should play some as Toppin's backup PF, although at times we may want to go with someone else there. Actually at times, I wouldn't mind seeing Oscar at PF, and Onyenso at C. One blocks every shot, the other grabs every rebound.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
You are definitely correct, but I don't believe we have enough talent that can move off the bounce. Maybe next year ...

In general, people always want to see guys at spots they haven't seen them much at; they want to see players they've not seen play much yet; they think most every recruit is going to be better than they really are. Basically the upside possibility of the unknown excites them more than the bland-known.

I agree that CL is either a 'tweener' or a SF capable of playing PF.
By all accounts, CL arrived thinking he was a 2G/SF 'tweener'. Nope, he has no 2G in him. He should focus on being MKG with a jumpshot.

I think he should play some as Toppin's backup PF, although at times we may want to go with someone else there. Actually at times, I wouldn't mind seeing Oscar at PF, and Onyenso at C. One blocks every shot, the other grabs every rebound.

That's probably what annoys me, personally, about Cal: not utilizing Onyenso and Thiero in the early going. Not so much that he didn't play CL 30 minutes at various positions. CL has gotten about the minutes he should, and he's not exactly killing it.. but maybe if we had Thiero and Ugonna helping out, maybe proving to be worthy of starting.. that might have changed things..

Be honest, if you were Livingston and knew anything about the game of basketball, and Cal was your coach for a period of time, wouldn’t you transfer?

I know I would 😂

Reactions: 1_Cool_CAT
Be honest, if you were Livingston and knew anything about the game of basketball, and Cal was your coach for a period of time, wouldn’t you transfer?

I know I would 😂

I'd only really consider transferring if I was worried who might be coming in after me. Justin Edwards could take a lot of of ball from him.

Maybe CL just isn't very good. Or at least, not top15/1AD/30mpg-as-a-freshman type of good. Maybe he's more of a 2/3-year player. Cal seems to trust him with 18-ish minutes per game, and aside from the 2nd half of the Kansas debacle, he's gotten plenty of opportunity.

Reactions: Chitown Terry
Lets not act like Livingston is the 2nd coming of Dr. J.
He had a nice 1st half v KU but he plays way to tight and moves like a robot out there.
He needs to loosen up a bit and get tougher with the basketball. I have seen him stripped driving to the basket more than once.
That said and he is only a Freshman and not all Freshman are one and done. He is making strides and Im proud of him.
Stop with all the transfer garbage.

Onyenso about 26min
Reeves about 20min
Ware 4min

The problem I see is the shooting all coming off the bench. Certainly 4 of the 5 starters are capable, but all 4 will be streaky 35% at best.
No way on earth Bradshaw only plays 7 mpg.

I’ll be shocked if he’s here next year . I believe he viewed himself as one and done . So he either declares anyway and bets on himself or he will transfer .

I’d like to see him back but seems unlikely .
Agree. Hopkins is killing it at Providence

Reactions: shaudyshaud
ADVERTISEMENT