ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Doering has praise for Mark Stoops

He's been a UK hater. Who could blame him we stunk under Joker and we stunk when he played.

He has standards, just like his old coach, who happens to be a Stoops family friend and former employer of older brother Bob. Face it people, we have a coach who is a "made man" as far as the college football coaches fraternity is concerned. We are finally showing signs of observing some standards of our own as a complete program. We haven't (at least from top to bottom) in a long time, if ever, really. I'll take some respect from the likes of Doering, however grudgingly he might offer it.

He's been a UK hater. Who could blame him we stunk under Joker and we stunk when he played.

My memory is sketchy but it seems like I recall Doering making a great TD catch one year to beat Kentucky in a very close game at CWS. Maybe others can either confirm or tell me I've just lost it :)

Last edited:
My memory is sketchy but it seems like I call Doering making a great TD catch one year to beat Kentucky in a very close game at CWS. Maybe others can either confirm or tell me I've just lost it :)
Sept 1993 - UK was leading the Gators 20-17 very late in the game. I believe it even got to 4th down with under 10 seconds to play. Doering caught a 20+ yd TD on a busted coverage. Final score 24-20; one of the most painful losses I've listened to - was living in Louisiana at the time, and in those days had to catch a lot of UK FB games on WHAS.

Sept 1993 - UK was leading the Gators 20-17 very late in the game. I believe it even got to 4th down with under 10 seconds to play. Doering caught a 20+ yd TD on a busted coverage. Final score 24-20; one of the most painful losses I've listened to - was living in Louisiana at the time, and in those days had to catch a lot of UK FB games on WHAS.

Thanks! I knew I didn't just dream that.

I don't think it was busted coverage but rather typical-of-the-time UK FB incompetence. The previous play he was wide open on the same route & they didn't throw it to him. Nothing changed by the UK DB's but FL was smart enough - it didn't take a lot - to throw it to him the 2nd time. I was sitting in the east end zone with those plays coming at me. Pitiful.

Yep. Damn near the last play of the game. I think there were 4 seconds left after he caught it.

This play has been the focus of a 30 for 30 on Doering and his QB's careers at UF.

I don't think it was busted coverage but rather typical-of-the-time UK FB incompetence. The previous play he was wide open on the same route & they didn't throw it to him. Nothing changed by the UK DB's but FL was smart enough - it didn't take a lot - to throw it to him the 2nd time. I was sitting in the east end zone with those plays coming at me. Pitiful.
I was at that game too. It was indeed VERY PITIFUL. Since that Florida game every game since I was just waiting for catastrophe to strike. Mark Stoops has given me confidence we can beat Florida this year. It is important we do in more ways than one.

Correct, I was there and couldn't believe Kentucky lost again after being so close to winning that game and of course there were several more games when we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory to come. I stood there in the same spot for 30 minutes after the game and so did a lot of other people just crushed. It reminded me of the time we were playing Tennessee and we had the ball on their one yard line down 22 to 20 I think. Mark Higg's ran the ball 4 straight times and we couldn't get in and lost that game too among many others late in games. Over the years Kentucky's mistakes have cost them a lot of games from busted coverage's to just plain bad luck. I think the LSU game was the worst loss I have ever seen personally, ESPN said the was the first game ever where the winning and losing coach were wet with Gatorade at the handshake. Morris was doused with about 20 seconds left and Saban of course after the miracle from heaven.

Reactions: ukalum1988
Correct, I was there and couldn't believe Kentucky lost again after being so close to winning that game and of course there were several more games when we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory to come. I stood there in the same spot for 30 minutes after the game and so did a lot of other people just crushed. It reminded me of the time we were playing Tennessee and we had the ball on their one yard line down 22 to 20 I think. Mark Higg's ran the ball 4 straight times and we couldn't get in and lost that game too among many others late in games. Over the years Kentucky's mistakes have cost them a lot of games from busted coverage's to just plain bad luck. I think the LSU game was the worst loss I have ever seen personally, ESPN said the was the first game ever where the winning and losing coach were wet with Gatorade at the handshake. Morris was doused with about 20 seconds left and Saban of course after the miracle from heaven.
The Tennessee game you refer to was my last UK FB game as a UK student. I was there for that one. I think the score was 24-22. Tennessee gave up a safety on the game's final play as the clock expired rather than risk a punt block / return for a TD.

I was also there for the infamous Bluegrass Miracle. My wife, a Louisiana native and a big LSU fan, to her credit did not rub it in after the game. That was the quietest post game crowd I have ever witnessed at CWS; everybody was in a state of shock.

Reactions: katwest
Just to make it worse, I recall we picked off seven UF passes that game.

Yeah, that's what I remember about the game, VERY hard to lose a game with seven interceptions but we managed to pull it off.

The loss to them down there a couple of years ago was very painful also, the one pass that hit our DB in the gut that had six points written all over it that bounced into their receiver's hands to set up a TD was devastatingl, a fourteen point swing.

Last edited:
That game is what kicked off the career of Danny Weurful. He came off the bench after the other guys got picked off 7 times and the rest was history.

My memory is sketchy but it seems like I recall Doering making a great TD catch one year to beat Kentucky in a very close game at CWS. Maybe others can either confirm or tell me I've just lost it :)
I watched that game. UK was awful that loss was a bright spot. Nobody can deny UK needs to win more to get respect.

Was there. Try to forget that I was there, similar to the Peach Bowl clinching INT that wasn't.

I was there. Fla had to score to win. No timeouts left. Time for one play a Hail Mary. Danny Wueffel fr comes in. I'm saying put 6 guys on the goal line. Nope we set up as usual and Doering goes right down the hash line wide open. Easy pitch and catch

I couldn't believe it,Uk played a very good game for three and almost for full quarters.I hated to go to work the next monday.I live in Florida and it was brutal.

Sounds like one of those "same ole Kentucky" games. I'm thinking those are getting smaller and smaller in the rear view mirror.

There have been so many painful UK losses but the 3 that standout to me were:
1. The Bluegrass Miracle. I remember my son-in-law turning to me when it appeared that UK had won the game say: This is Kentucky Football, the game is not over. Then LSU scores on a miracle play because 2 UK defenders were dumb enough not to let the guy catch the ball & then tackle him on about the 20 yard line.

2. UK vs Tulane n the Superdome. Cats make a miracle comeback from a 21-3 deficit into a 22-21 apparent victory. UK had the ball on the Tulane 40 yard line with 3rd down & 30 seconds to go. Larry McCrimmon rollls out and fails to get a first down and then makes a fatal mistake by going out of bounds to stop the clock, so UK punts on 4th down to the Tulane 5 yard line. No problem, 95 yards away and about 15 seconds to go in the game. Tulane's QB rolls into his own end zone and throws the ball to the 50 yard line, there is a mad scramble for tghe ball and pass interference is called against UK. This is about 1980 so the NFL rule was still in effect which meant Tulane got the ball at mid-field. Now just 5 seconds are left and Tulane is still 50 yards away. Same thing happens QB rolls back and throws the ball but only reaches the UK 10, again a mad scramble for the ball and the same referee calls UK for another pass interference. Tulane then gets an untimed down because a game cannot end on a penalty when the defense commits the penalty. So the Green Wave kick a game winning field goal and Tulane wins 24-22.

3. Chris Doerring catches about a 20 yard TD pass between 2 UK defenders on third Down to win it for the Gators. I remember that UK lad 20-17 and if we bat down the ball, Uk forces Florida into a game tying FG.
There was no overtime in thosec days. UK had 7 interceptions vs 2 Florida QB's, one which was Danny Woerful, who neventually threw the winning TD. With 3 seconds left in the game, the Gators would have had to try the tying FG but this is UK football and Florida wins,24-20.

I was at all 3 painfulm losses among many more that I have not forgotten.

The Tennessee game you refer to was my last UK FB game as a UK student. I was there for that one. I think the score was 24-22. Tennessee gave up a safety on the game's final play as the clock expired rather than risk a punt block / return for a TD.

I was also there for the infamous Bluegrass Miracle. My wife, a Louisiana native and a big LSU fan, to her credit did not rub it in after the game. That was the quietest post game crowd I have ever witnessed at CWS; everybody was in a state of shock.
You should've divorced her on the spot

That game is what kicked off the career of Danny Weurful. He came off the bench after the other guys got picked off 7 times and the rest was history.

I think it was shane mathews. Went from heisman contender to backup qb in one game

I was at that Florida game in 93 as well. Gut-wrenching.

I was in high school at the time and it was the first UK game I ever attended.

I remember the guy in front of me, probably late 50's and completely wasted drinking bourbon the entire game, was yelling "You're a dog Spurrier!" non-stop for the entire game. I thought he was going to literally storm the field and kill Steve Spurrier after that pass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT