ADVERTISEMENT

Check out the stat guy’s (Miyakawa) new data Re Our Super Five

JST390-2

Junior
Nov 1, 2015
Florida

The data speaks for itself. That lineup has crushed this year thanks to the extra spacing having three dynamic shooters on the floor like Fredrick, Reeves and Wallace provides Tshiebwe inside. The data speaks for itself. In 45 possessions this season, that Kentucky five-man lineup has an 138.7 offensive efficiency mark. Even when Wheeler returns to the lineup, Kentucky’s new five-man lineup has to be a staple of Calipari’s rotation.

So he says exchanging Reeves and Livingston in the lineup makes them go from worst to best? I didn't realize Livingston being in the game was that detrimental to the team cohesiveness. Sounds fishy.

So he says exchanging Reeves and Livingston in the lineup makes them go from worst to best? I didn't realize Livingston being in the game was that detrimental to the team cohesiveness. Sounds fishy.
It’s not that Livingston is the issue…it’s that our best lineups have CJ and Reeves on the floor at the same time and Livingston happens to be the guy that is stealing the 3 spot minutes. If Cal would play him at the 4 he’d be much more productive.

I noticed the 2 best had Oscar, Toppin, and CJ. CJ and Toppin were both also in the 3rd best.

I will say looking at this a bit closer that some of it feels a bit flukey. Does anyone in their right mind really think the second best lineup involves Collins on the floor? Or the third best lineup involves Ware instead of Oscar? LOL Also, the only difference between the very best lineup and the absolute worst lineup is Reeves in for Livingston. A lot of this doesn't make sense and I'm assuming a lot of it is just a fluke of the time the players get in the game and who they're going against at that specific moment.

All that said, I absolutely still agree that what this proposes as our best lineup (Wallace/Fredrick/Reeves/Toppin/Oscar) is the one that should get the most minutes. That certainly makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: sk73 and westerncat
I don't need any numbers to know the common denominator to kill any lineup.
College Basketball Sport GIF by Kentucky Men’s Basketball. #BuiltDifferent

I will say looking at this a bit closer that some of it feels a bit flukey. Does anyone in their right mind really think the second best lineup involves Collins on the floor? Or the third best lineup involves Ware instead of Oscar? LOL Also, the only difference between the very best lineup and the absolute worst lineup is Reeves in for Livingston. A lot of this doesn't make sense and I'm assuming a lot of it is just a fluke of the time the players get in the game and who they're going against at that specific moment.

All that said, I absolutely still agree that what this proposes as our best lineup (Wallace/Fredrick/Reeves/Toppin/Oscar) is the one that should get the most minutes. That certainly makes sense.
Not sure these stats factor in the quality of the opposition for each grouping. I agree that Reeves and Fredrick should definitely play more, especially if they are going to play defense like they did against the VOLS. My only wonder is noting that TENN was talented, but not a particularly quick team. I hope Reeves and Fredrick can stay with quicker opponents. Let's certainly hope so, because we need their scoring potential on the floor and the chance of their having good shooting nights.

Last edited:
I'm sure Collins is great kid and he has a ton of upside, but watching him on the court jist aggravates me.

He appears to be trying to avoid contact at all costs and just jogs.

In the Michigan State game, he lost Joey Hauser constantly and he didn’t work hard to get back to him, no, he just took the long way around the screens and caught up to Joey after the ball was going through the net. He can’t be on the court if he’s going to give 50% effort.

I'm sure Collins is great kid and he has a ton of upside, but watching him on the court jist aggravates me.

He appears to be trying to avoid contact at all costs and just jogs.

In the Michigan State game, he lost Joey Hauser constantly and he didn’t work hard to get back to him, no, he just took the long way around the screens and caught up to Joey after the ball was going through the net. He can’t be on the court if he’s going to give 50% effort.
Yeah, he just looks always lost on defense. He's not a 4 at all right now, which is where Cal tries to fit him in. He can realistically only play the 5 right now but even there he's still just too weak.

Right now, Cal is on his radio show talking about how great Wheeler is. He confirmed that the best lineup doesn’t feature Wheeler, but he didn't want to talk about that, he just moved on to how tough and important Wheeler is.

We’re screwed.
Well, at least he admitted that. Hopefully he just means he's still going to get significant minutes but he realizes he needs to cut them down and play the best lineup more together. Anxious to see what happens against Georgia.

That 2nd best lineup has Wheeler in it. Surprisingly with Wallace on the bench.
Does that chart have our cupcake games in it? I'm sure it does and that is a bit misleading, because against mid majors (except St Peters), Wheeler shines, but against true p5 competition, wheeler isn’t nearly the same player.

Last edited:
The top two lineups have Fredrick and Reeves on the wings. Got to play them together.

So split Wallace and Wheeler at the 1. Play Fredrick and Reeves most of the time together at the 2 and 3. Move Wallace to the wing when they need a blow. Play Toppin and Tshiebwe at the 4 and 5.

I also still believe Livingston needs minutes at the 4. Don’t have any data on him at the 4, unless I am overlooking it. I don’t think Cal has played him enough at the 4 to get any data.

I would rotate those seven for most of the minutes in the game. Play Ware or Onyenso to spell Tshiebwe. Play Collins and Thiero sparingly.

The top two lineups have Fredrick and Reeves on the wings. Got to play them together.

So split Wallace and Wheeler at the 1. Play Fredrick and Reeves most of the time together at the 2 and 3. Move Wallace to the wing when they need a blow. Play Toppin and Tshiebwe at the 4 and 5.

I also still believe Livingston needs minutes at the 4. Don’t have any data on him at the 4, unless I am overlooking it. I don’t think Cal has played him enough at the 4 to get any data.

I would rotate those seven for most of the minutes in the game. Play Ware or Onyenso to spell Tshiebwe. Play Collins and Thiero sparingly.
Wheeler 20 min Ana Wallace playing 20 minutes at PG and another 10 minutes at Sg makes so much sense it’s going to drive fans batty if cal goes back to same old foolish ways

And if we ever had Livingston at rhe pf….the analysis might be nearly as eye opening.

Does that chart have our cupcake games in it? I'm sure it does and that is a bit misleading, because against mid majors (except St Peters), Wheeler shines, but against true p5 competition, wheeler isn’t nearly the sake player.
I'm sure it does, which is why I've not put much into interpretation of the chart.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I'm sure it does, which is why I've not put much into interpretation of the chart.
That 5 man group only played 20 possessions together all year …and I don’t know who the possessions were against …what I do know is that Cal was forced because of injury to play that group together for 25 more possessions …against the vaunted Vol defense …with the same overwhelming results …facts …think when they were playing together outscored UT by something like 41-24

Couple of weeks ago Cal said they have not taught Livingston how to play the 4. What coach handles the 4 and 5 in practice? OT can't guard the pick and roll or guard a big inside. But yeah, CL at the 4 with Toppen makes the most sense. AT at the two or three when AR or CF have to go out for whatever reason.

Right now, Cal is on his radio show talking about how great Wheeler is. He confirmed that the best lineup doesn’t feature Wheeler, but he didn't want to talk about that, he just moved on to how tough and important Wheeler is.

We’re screwed.
Exactly. Like I said, Cal KNOWS it. He insists on playing Wheeler 35+ minutes a game any damn way. Man, he’s nauseating sometimes. Most stubborn SOB alive. 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: entropy13
Exactly. Like I said, Cal KNOWS it. He insists on playing Wheeler 35+ minutes a game any damn way. Man, he’s nauseating sometimes. Most stubborn SOB alive. 🤦‍♂️
He’s going to start Wheeler, we'll fall behind, he'll screw around, we'll fall behind more, then he'll put the correct lineup in and we'll catch up, then he'll put Wheeler and Collins back in.

It’s mind numbing

He’s going to start Wheeler, we'll fall behind, he'll screw around, we'll fall behind more, then he'll put the correct lineup in and we'll catch up, then he'll put Wheeler and Collins back in.

It’s mind numbing
Sure is, brother. Couldn’t believe he was playing Collins against USC when we were trying to claw back into the game. I mean wtf?! 😆

Reactions: kyjeff1
ADVERTISEMENT