ADVERTISEMENT

Changing a Culture: Kentucky Football National Awards.

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
Playing on Google, I found a good article about Kentucky football written in 2017, that mentioned that only one Kentucky FB player had ever won a major national award, the Outland Trophy, won by Bob Gain.

I would disagree with the article, as Jacob Tamme won the 2007 Bobby Bowden Award.

What a difference two seasons make!

Headed up by Josh Allen’s winning 4 major awards, there have been six in the last two years. LBJ’s Hornung Award and Max Duffy’s Ray Guy Award came after the ‘19 season.

While the number of awards given has increased through time, it’s still amazing how much recognition the program has garnered in two seasons compared to the entirety of the program, previously.

Last edited:
We are witnessing a new era of Kentucky football. Stoops is in the process of building a power in Lexington. It takes time to do this the right way. We are starting to see what his vision was when he came here. I see UK players winning these awards as becoming normal in the future. I'm going to sit back and enjoy watching what he continues to build.
I think we will begin to see UK players up for major awards on both the Offensive line and all throughout the defense going forward.

How about the Joe Moore Award, the only one given to a unit of football?

The Joe Moore Award for the Most Outstanding Offensive Line Unit annually recognizes the toughest, most physical offensive line in the country, making it the only major college football award to honor a unit or group.

I always forget the Rimington spelling. He was a Husker, right?

Anyway, seems the Moore would likely follow if Drake lands the center prize and Kinnard or Young the Outland.

We are witnessing a new era of Kentucky football. Stoops is in the process of building a power in Lexington. It takes time to do this the right way. We are starting to see what his vision was when he came here. I see UK players winning these awards as becoming normal in the future. I'm going to sit back and enjoy watching what he continues to build.
I think we will begin to see UK players up for major awards on both the Offensive line and all throughout the defense going forward.
Hard to believe over half the fan base wanted him gone after just 2 years. Man is a legend in my book. Getting it done!

Hard to believe over half the fan base wanted him gone after just 2 years. Man is a legend in my book. Getting it done!

There were certainly some restless souls, especially after his second 5-7 season in 2015, but I doubt it was ever a majority of fans.

I was surprised that there were so many posters (still a vocal minority) after the 2016 and 2017 seasons still bitching, given that those bowl seasons were about as high as we’d been the last 40 years.

And as to that minority, they have largely gone “poof” and disappeared!

Reactions: NewWildcatOrder
ADVERTISEMENT