ADVERTISEMENT

Change your head, change your body

Samwise Ganjee

All-American
Nov 24, 2006
Where the sun is warm and the beer is cold
Derek Willis' self-critical press comments told me a lot that I suspected:

Derek knows there's skill and effort improvement to be madeHe knows he lacks physical strength to compete and succeed in a power gameHe knows his attention has wandered and does wander still from basketball at a critical time in his development
I have three recommendations for you Derek:

Listen to CalListen to CalListen to Cal

And if there's any time left read some of the stuff from Steven Covey about 7 Habits, or even Victor Frankl about sacrifice and self-discipline and how the will can steeled to a specific purpose through training

Become the second coming of Josh Harrellson, who you remind me of a great deal, only skinnier; and who did the things Cal asked and became one of the most successful and beloved Cats of the last decade

Willis showed me a lot the few minutes he was in. He had a steal, tipped a rebound to another UK player and fed the post well a few times, one resulted in a bucket by Lee.

The kid has potential and I'm not just saying that because I grew up in Shepherdsville.

I thought he looked ok for the little time he played. He's got skills and athleticism. Pulling for him.

I hate making the comparisons especially when it is the white dude one but he is in a similar situation as Scott Padgett. Padgett was deep on the bench of one the best teams of all time. He lost focus but he stuck with it and waited his turn. Having Padgett on this staff would have helped Willis through this. I hope he reaches out.

Cal is superstitious just like all coaches...If he changes something (like putting Willis into the game) that's out of the norm and then things go badly, whether it has anything to do with the change that was made....Cal immediately takes him back out....Not bitching about Cal it's just the nature of the beast...That being said...if Willis was allowed the rope other players were many on this board would see Derek can play and be very productive.

Originally posted by ulismyman:
Cal is superstitious just like all coaches...If he changes something (like putting Willis into the game) that's out of the norm and then things go badly, whether it has anything to do with the change that was made....Cal immediately takes him back out....Not bitching about Cal it's just the nature of the beast...That being said...if Willis was allowed the rope other players were many on this board would see Derek can play and be very productive.
The rope is not given. It is earned in practice. Even Willis told you that with his focus issues. Bring it or sit.

Citation please about Cal and all other coaches being superstitious.

its not Cal's nature to go this deep...he is usually a 7 man 8 man rotation tops so i'm sure this platoon thing has tried his patience but in all reality we have played best when platoon has been utilized

I believe Cal will give him a shot when he thinks Derek is giving him all he has got. If Derek doesn't get to that point, then he will enjoy that numb sensation in his backside sitting next to the Gatorade.

That being said... I want Cal to have to make that decision, go get that PT Derek!

Originally posted by bigbluefattycat:
I hate making the comparisons especially when it is the white dude one but he is in a similar situation as Scott Padgett. Padgett was deep on the bench of one the best teams of all time. He lost focus but he stuck with it and waited his turn. Having Padgett on this staff would have helped Willis through this. I hope he reaches out.
Actually, Padgett was out of school in 1995-96.

Originally posted by musrat59:

Everybody wants to see the young fella have success but he has to do his part.
Exactly; really all that needs to be said on the subject. The ball is in DW's court and we're all rooting for him.

Originally posted by throatpoker:
he seems pretty depressed. hope he can get back into it.
He always talks like that, haha. Just has a low, sorta quiet voice.

My reply to Willis' statements is that he's not a robot. He has plenty of time to step it up and become the player he can be. He's young (just a sophomore) and is growing up and learning more and more. I'm sure he will listen very closely to Cal and the coaching staff, and his teammates will continue supporting and encouraging him. Heck, Cal had some nice things to say about him in a recent press conference.

Willis will be fine. He's developing and growing. (And I'm sure he'll hit the weightroom hard in the offseason!)
This post was edited on 1/20 7:50 AM by Orange Soda King

I get the Willis love but the fans really need to ask themselves a question. Why are you getting so excited for a couple of post feeds and a tip of a basketball? These are basic skills that you shouldn't have to get excited about or point to why he needs more minutes. There's an old movie called "Little Big League." Kid becomes owner/mgr of the Twins after his grandfather dies and his favorite player is slumping and his career is over. The guy gets a base hit and the kid jumps up clapping, and going crazy. The pitching coach turns to him and says "Son, you just got that excited for a seeing eye single. You should ask yourself why." Face the truth.

Willis was brought in as an insurance policy thanks to the 2013 team. He's okay, but he's never going to see major minutes unless something like 2013 happens again where UK has a cupboard bare and needs bodies. He seems like a really nice kid and maybe he gets a shot down the road as a Senior if something fluky happens. But it's crazy to point to 2 or 3 little things this kid did and ignore the negatives and scream this kid needs a shot. If you watched him play Saturday, you saw why he doesn't log major minutes. He's timid, and he got beat on defense. I agree, he should play more when the blowouts are on but I think that for the rest of the walkons and co. but he doesn't need to be inserted into the platoon.

It's easy to get up when the lights come on. It's what you do when nobody is watching that makes or breaks you. Instead of playing video games and chatting to the old lady get in the gym and work, work, work. Derek has some skill and I hope one day he's able to be a legit contributor. One thing I do have a problem with is some of you seem to want this kid to fail. Why else would you spend so much time defending your position about an 11th or 12th man. It's like you take pride in him stepping out of bounds and getting lost on defense. Doesn't make much sense for fans of a team to think so little of one of it's players. No matter what his overall ability is.

ADVERTISEMENT