ADVERTISEMENT

Change of Pace QB ?

Jun 28, 2007
Let me qualify by saying I think BVG is our #1 and will be fine with more reps. I hate gimmicks but.....I was thinking the other night on some of those critical downs, with the OL holding up but still not giving allot of time, maybe throwing Gavin in there for a play here and there just to mix it up.

I know UGA is prepared for everything, it was just a thought though.
Mix it up, keep them gussing instead of pinning their ears back on predicatble pasing downs.

Id be ok with it.
But it's got to be a series with a few options.
The minute he steps on the field, we tip our hand.
Maybe don't have him run a draw the first time he snaps it.
A simple play action or straight handoff.
It should be a real gameplan, with emphasis on what he's good at, not only things with him having the ball

Wimsatt has more experience than BV and he's a career <.500 completion % passer. If I'm playing defense, I know what I'm keying on. He can be a good change of pace or even run the 4-minute offense. but that's about it, imo.

Id be ok with it.
But it's got to be a series with a few options.
The minute he steps on the field, we tip our hand.
Maybe don't have him run a draw the first time he snaps it.
A simple play action or straight handoff.
It should be a real gameplan, with emphasis on what he's good at, not only things with him having the ball
This. Cant just snap it and QB draw… that’s no different than bringing in a wildcat package. But you can have some speed option RPO type packages and let him run a legit open playbook for a series if things have bogged down offensively

Wimsatt has more experience than BV and he's a career <.500 completion % passer. If I'm playing defense, I know what I'm keying on. He can be a good change of pace or even run the 4-minute offense. but that's about it, imo.
Wimsatt has way more game experience than Brock and could actually be better.
Does anyone believe that there was an actual QB competition?
In the NIL age you play who you pay.

Wimsatt had been in for a handful of plays in the previous game outside of the fourth Quarter. I believe he was used on a toss sweep or something early in the USC game. There is an opportunity for him and Brock to be on the field at the same time. but I wouldn't even mind if Wimsatt came in for a handful off wildcat type snaps.

Wimsatt had been in for a handful of plays in the previous game outside of the fourth Quarter. I believe he was used on a toss sweep or something early in the USC game. There is an opportunity for him and Brock to be on the field at the same time. but I wouldn't even mind if Wimsatt came in for a handful off wildcat type snaps.
They can be on the field together if Brock is under center.
Keeping Brock on the field when Gavin is under center is down right stupid.
Brock doesn't work as a decoy or as any kind of playmaker.
I hated it when Brooks done it with JLo and Boyd.
It fools no one.

No to changing QBs for a few series unless the wheels are completely falling off!!! It messes with QB rhythm and confidence.

Yes to playing them both together for a few gadget plays.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
The backup QB at UK has taken far fewer snaps than any other SEC backup probably every single year stoops has been here barring injury reasons. Backups just don’t play under stoops (ever) and even when they do they don’t really get to play, rather just run time off the clock.

The backup QB at UK has taken far fewer snaps than any other SEC backup probably every single year stoops has been here barring injury reasons. Backups just don’t play under stoops (ever) and even when they do they don’t really get to play, rather just run time off the clock.
Stoops is not going to play the backup if we are winning by a lot or losing by a lot. He rides his guys to the end.

Reactions: ala_kat2
If we have to resort to gimmicks and trick plays to move the ball then we have serious issues with the offense. If UK has to do that I'd rather just see them line in the old Wing T and run it since we apparently can't throw a forward pass. That way most of these young DC's haven't seen it let alone coached against it.

Reactions: mattrudd
Let me qualify by saying I think BVG is our #1 and will be fine with more reps. I hate gimmicks but.....I was thinking the other night on some of those critical downs, with the OL holding up but still not giving allot of time, maybe throwing Gavin in there for a play here and there just to mix it up.

Mix it up, keep them gussing instead of pinning their ears back on predicatble pasing downs.
Against USC I think they should have switch to Gavin, since the O line was so porous, Gavin is a better scrambler and runner. Brock was getting murdered. But then again I thought if you are going to keep Brock in maybe you should mix up the run and pass better using the run to set up the pass and maybe go to shorter quick hits since the O line could even give him a 3 step drop before letting some line backer into the back field.

It's one thing that has always aggravated me about Stoops. We play so conservative that the game stays to close to risk letting the subs get substantial minutes. We could get up 3 touchdowns being aggressive and let the backups play the whole 4th quarter. Instead it's a 10-14 point lead and we're forced to keep the starters in until the last possession. Then it's handoff, handoff, and take a knee.

No wonder we never develop backup QB's and they all pretty much leave. Then we're forced to get a 1 year mercenary and hope they pick everything up quick and the offensive line and receivers are at least decent. Unfortunately, those things rarely happen. We've got to keep guys in the system and not rely on one and dones. It stopped working in basketball and it's rarely worked in football for us.

Against USC I think they should have switch to Gavin, since the O line was so porous, Gavin is a better scrambler and runner. Brock was getting murdered. But then again I thought if you are going to keep Brock in maybe you should mix up the run and pass better using the run to set up the pass and maybe go to shorter quick hits since the O line could even give him a 3 step drop before letting some line backer into the back field.
You mean an LB a DL and two DE's in the backfield before his receivers had a chance to get off the line.

Reactions: jwphelps
If Wimsatt is such a damn good athlete, he needs to be out there more than what we've seen so far.

I've never heard such legend about a guy. The staff clearly brought him in, they and everyone else around the program have been very positive when talking about him and the possibilities he brings on the field. We're going on game 4, it's time let him loose.

I don't mean at QB either. We have a green QB and OC trying to figure out SEC and don't need to throw in another new guy. It takes away from BV developing and increases the chances of him transferring out if he feels like he's not getting the run, and another guy may take his job.

Reactions: Fox2monk

Wimsatt looked good on that drive. I wouldn’t mind a couple looks a game to switch it up. He can run too. Obviously BV is the dude but he’s a good backup.

If Wimsatt is such a damn good athlete, he needs to be out there more than what we've seen so far.

I've never heard such legend about a guy. The staff clearly brought him in, they and everyone else around the program have been very positive when talking about him and the possibilities he brings on the field. We're going on game 4, it's time let him loose.

I don't mean at QB either. We have a green QB and OC trying to figure out SEC and don't need to throw in another new guy. It takes away from BV developing and increases the chances of him transferring out if he feels like he's not getting the run, and another guy may take his job.
It would be nice to have some packages with him getting the ball in the backfield to run, maybe handoff or throw it. Having someone in the backfield to run some crafty plays.

That’s all I’m sayin. 100% BVG is the man. Just mix it up from time to time.
Do you think there was ever a legit competition?
Not saying Brock played bad because he was ok today but what exactly does he do better than Gavin?
I guess I would have to be at practice to see it because I haven't seen that Brock is a better runner or passer and haven't seen better pocket presence either.
I may be wrong but I think it comes down to you play who you pay and we all know Brock probably got in excess of 1M to come here.

I don't like that they switched quarterbacks in that fourth quarter. But I damn sure seen that Wimsatt is probably the better quarterback.
I think we have a better chance of winning games if we use Wimsatt.
I watched football long time... that's what my eyes told me. It looked like he has "it"

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Wimsatt looks and plays like Terry Wilson. He's probably not as fast running straight ahead but seems shiftier. We can't pass block anyway so let's run the ball and throw an occasional pass.

Not saying Brock played bad because he was ok today but what exactly does he do better than Gavin?
I guess I would have to be at practice to see it because I haven't seen that Brock is a better runner or passer and haven't seen better pocket presence either.
I may be wrong but I think it comes down to you play who you pay and we all know Brock probably got in excess of 1M to come here.
No, BVG was offered the 1 QB before he came here. This is why he is here.

I think Brock has better pocket awareness. Makes smarter players not holding the ball long but we haven’t seen Wimsatt in many series so it could just be a couple bad plays. I’ve seen Brock stand in and sling some throws while getting hammered this year. I like his pocket presence and isn’t afraid to take a hit. I am sure BVG got a Pretty payday but no coach worth his salt would start him just because of that. The goal is to win games, they all make money now. He will get paid the same on the bench. It’s nice that we have depth though. Wimsatt is a junior so he will have another year at least but we should use him some.

I think Brock has better pocket awareness. Makes smarter players not holding the ball long but we haven’t seen Wimsatt in many series so it could just be a couple bad plays. I’ve seen Brock stand in and sling some throws while getting hammered this year. I like his pocket presence and isn’t afraid to take a hit. I am sure BVG got a Pretty payday but no coach worth his salt would start him just because of that. The goal is to win games, they all make money now. He will get paid the same on the bench. It’s nice that we have depth though. Wimsatt is a junior so he will have another year at least but we should use him some.
The biggest red flag for me concerning Brock was that he continues to backpedal way too much when he gets pressured.
There were a couple times yesterday where he would have taken a huge sack if it were SEC defenders in pursuit.
Those 15+ losses are a backbreaker.

The biggest red flag for me concerning Brock was that he continues to backpedal way too much when he gets pressured.
There were a couple times yesterday where he would have taken a huge sack if it were SEC defenders in pursuit.
Does not step up into the pocket and has tunnel vision too with this offensive line WYN gives us the best chance to win man this kid is athletic can flat out run and has a cannon for a arm

No, BVG was offered the 1 QB before he came here. This is why he is here.

And this once again proves how incompetent Stoops is.

We could have the Pavia kid from New Mexico. A kid with tons of experience who has played in big games and won.

Instead Stoops goes after a three year benchwarmer at UGA and pays him a million dollars or whatever because of a series in a blowout loss at the hands of UGA last season.

You cannot make this up.

Frame By Frame Animation GIF

True but we have to remember he is only in his fourth game as a starting QB too. I think he will improve over time.

I'm not a fan of changing out QBs for one play, it makes it hard to stay in a rhythm. I'm OK with giving the backup a serious or two and if you have a good backup it doesn't necessarily have to be in garbage time.
Strongly agree. I do not see the point of a single-play substitution unless it is a very unique situation. I was happy though to see GW make some good throws yesterday. At least defenses will have to take that threat seriously.

Why not try some trick plays with Wimsatt. Let him pass out if the running back slot. Keep the defense honest

I'm not a fan of changing out QBs for one play, it makes it hard to stay in a rhythm. I'm OK with giving the backup a serious or two and if you have a good backup it doesn't necessarily have to be in garbage time.

This. Other than backup time or maybe goal line, no reason whatsoever to bring in Gavin. All it does is disrupt the offense and the qb rhythm. We saw that set us back vs sc. Notice we didn't do it vs ga, so that tells you what the staff thought about sc which sheds some light on players not taking that game as seriously as needed.

The worst part about the whole thing is brock is a more than capable runner. Hes a great athlete that runs strong. Hes noticably a step faster than levis. He might run down in the 4.5s. So other than to save some hits, no reason to bring out someone else.

Reactions: Deeeefense
This. Cant just snap it and QB draw… that’s no different than bringing in a wildcat package. But you can have some speed option RPO type packages and let him run a legit open playbook for a series if things have bogged down offensively
We have to start recruiting better QBs and do real development. Going to portal gettinga QB from another team that can't earn playing time is not a winning strategy. How long has it been since we have developed a QB. Tim Couch 1998? 26 years? For certain it has been 12 years because Stoops has not recruited and DEVELOPED a single QB. This is a losing strategy for 2024 modern college football. Bama, GA, TX, TN stack 4 & 5 star QBs. We try and grab their leftovers that can't earn playing time. We then talk up all the great things this highly rated high school 5* kid will do for us. Do we not understand that every year we do this we get further behind our competition. Why would a kid want to come play QB out of high school for Stoops when they know they will not be developed but will be benched for a portal QB. It is a death spiral that makes me sick.

• Love
Reactions: mattrudd
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT