ADVERTISEMENT

Celtics and 76ers agreed to swap picks

WildMoon

All-American
Apr 7, 2009
and celtics get first rounder next year from 76ers.

It could be either from lakers (between 2-5) or Kings pick.

Seriously...(seems like Celtics got another insane steal....maybe it's just me)

What's everyone's thought?

I am not sure about Fultz anyways, since he played in washington and wasn't able to do any winning with them.

Reactions: Deli owl
I think it's a smart move by the Celtics, because ultimately they want to turn these picks into stars, not prospects.

So they added another high pick as a negotiating chip, only moved back two spots, and didn't draft a guy who doesn't necessarily fit their roster.

Celtics have a ton of picks.
This trade is a win win for both teams.
Celtics don't need a PG and they now have 7 first round picks in the next two drafts.

Those assets could easily parlay into some win now trades.

Just crazy to me that they got potentially another top 5 pick with maybe getting player they wanted anyways.

Good move, Fultz isn't some unique/special/can't miss player IMO...not like you are passing up AD, KAT, Lebron, Durant, etc.

Here's the thing, after the workouts, if Ainge thought Fultz was THE guy to get them past the Cavs, this trade wouldn't have happened. He must see as much value for players who should be available past the first 2 picks as Fultz.

Now he has picks to use for upcoming drafts, or to pull off trades to get established players.

Celts are getting a steal!! I thought they were getting the #3 and 2 future first rounders?? Even if it's 1 first rounder, they win this one.

Idk why everyone is so enamored with Fultz. He may not be as good as Ball, Fox, Smith or Jackson......Smart move for Boston IMO

Celtics have a ton of picks.
This trade is a win win for both teams.
Celtics don't need a PG and they now have 7 first round picks in the next two drafts.

Those assets could easily parlay into some win now trades.
They have to actually pull the trigger on some win now trades though. Ainge appears to be hoarding picks since he didn't make a move at the deadline this year.

League is evolving to the point where you play 3 or sometimes even 4 wing type players on the floor at the same time, that is why you take Jackson (if available) the year after taking Brown.

If I'm guessing, I'd say top three go like.

1. Sixers- Fultz
2. Lakers- Fox
3. Celtics- Jackson

I honestly believe Ball will fall to the Kings and it will be awesome to see.

Reactions: csrupp
I see Fox with the Kings at 5 if a trade doesn't happen. The last thing the Kings need is more youth IMO.

But Jackson one year later after Brown is a wasted pick. Celts need a vet and more shooting. Monk fits there on the 2nd team. The best shooter in the draft because that's too high to take that chance on Kennard.

The Celtics have the potential for 7 #1 picks over the next 3 drafts, so they can make a big time trade while possibly not giving up the Brooklyn pick.

DClSHOmXoAAXoBx.jpg

Last edited:
Folks I am chatting with on Twitter are saying the Celtics are keeping the #3 pick and taking Jayson Tatum. They don't care who the Lakers pick. They have Tatum rated the top player in this draft and they knew they could get him at #3. They see him as a SG and a future Paul Pierce type scorer, which they do really need. And they needed the lower salary from #1 to #3 so they can sign Gordon Hayward without losing too many of their current players.

I'm just aggravated that they are giving Fultz to a team in their division. The Sixers now have a ridiculous starting five of Fultz, Simmons, Embiid, Saric, and Robert Covington. They're better than the Celtics with that lineup. They don't have much of a bench, but they have 4 second round picks and will get some great value there with guys like Josh Hart and possibly Sindarius Thornwell, Isaiah Briscoe, and/ or Dominique Hawkins. And they still have Aaron Harrison stashed on their D league team. So they could be reeeeallly good in a hurry.

Damn, I'm talking myself into renewing my 10 game plan next year and I wasn't going to do that.

Good move, Fultz isn't some unique/special/can't miss player IMO...not like you are passing up AD, KAT, Lebron, Durant, etc.
Exactly, which is why the deal doesn't make sense from Philly's side. They are giving up the #3 and a future first round pick to get.....Markelle Fultz?

Exactly, which is why the deal doesn't make sense from Philly's side. They are giving up the #3 and a future first round pick to get.....Markelle Fultz?

Their starting backcourt last year was Gerald Henderson and T.J. McConnell, with Sergio Rodriguez and Nik Stauskas off the bench. Quite possibly the worst set of guards in the NBA. They were seriously looking at both Fox and Monk at #3, but they see Fultz as having the best qualities of both of them in one player. They were worried about Fox's shooting and Monk's size. Fultz is bigger and a better shooter. And they know there aren't any superstar guards in the next 2 drafts so giving up one of those picks isn't going to kill them.

The Celtics have the potential for 7 #1 picks over the next 3 drafts, so they can make a big time trade while possibly not giving up the Brooklyn pick.

DClSHOmXoAAXoBx.jpg

Yeah look at those picks!! They could walk away with Michael Porter and Mo Bamba next year and then get Marvin Bagley in 2019. Sick!!!

Look at the point guards in next year's draft. Pretty easy to see why they would jump on Fultz now, if they think he's a tier above Fox and Smith.

Now they could be wrong about him, but time will tell.

Folks I am chatting with on Twitter are saying the Celtics are keeping the #3 pick and taking Jayson Tatum. They don't care who the Lakers pick. They have Tatum rated the top player in this draft and they knew they could get him at #3. They see him as a SG and a future Paul Pierce type scorer, which they do really need. And they needed the lower salary from #1 to #3 so they can sign Gordon Hayward without losing too many of their current players.

I'm just aggravated that they are giving Fultz to a team in their division. The Sixers now have a ridiculous starting five of Fultz, Simmons, Embiid, Saric, and Robert Covington. They're better than the Celtics with that lineup. They don't have much of a bench, but they have 4 second round picks and will get some great value there with guys like Josh Hart and possibly Sindarius Thornwell, Isaiah Briscoe, and/ or Dominique Hawkins. And they still have Aaron Harrison stashed on their D league team. So they could be reeeeallly good in a hurry.

Damn, I'm talking myself into renewing my 10 game plan next year and I wasn't going to do that.

Better than the Celtics? You trolling? I'm a Lakers fan and hate Boston but respect them so get real with "the 76ers are better than the Celtics" with that lineup. Talk about a massively premature statement.

Reactions: Aike
Better than the Celtics? You trolling? I'm a Lakers fan and hate Boston but respect them so get real with "the 76ers are better than the Celtics" with that lineup. Talk about a massively premature statement.

Yeah, considering Embiid's injury history, and the fact that we've never seen Simmons or Fultz on a NBA court...

Fultz is nothing special. How can you trust a pg to turn into a star when he couldn't get into the tourney and got his coach fired?

Fox is the best prospect in this draft. I would be saying this if he had played anywhere. Shooting is always something you can improve with time.

Long term without blue shade glasses on i see Fox as having more upside than Fultz. Right now maybe only because of his shooting it might Fultz. I watched him this past season and he was good but i didnt see alot of wow in his game. Time well tell....

Fultz is nothing special. How can you trust a pg to turn into a star when he couldn't get into the tourney and got his coach fired?

Fox is the best prospect in this draft. I would be saying this if he had played anywhere. Shooting is always something you can improve with time.
Yeah Markelle Fultz didn't get Romar fired

Reactions: Aike
Shooting doesn't always improve, but it wouldn't surprise me if Fox ends up the best player from this draft.

Honestly, any of the top 9 guys could be the best 5 years from now without it being a shock.

Celtics are taking Tatum. He is the top player on the their board and has a more refined offensive game than Jackson. He would compliment Brown nicely. Still a chance they package the pick. Bulls and Pacers both love Tatum as well and could be involved in George or Butler trades.

Both teams did well. 76ers will have a core of Fultz, Simmons, and Embiid. While 2/3 of that core has yet to play an NBA game, it's a promising core.

Boston gets another piece to trade away for a superstar, while also still getting a top 3 pick this year. They have a good shot at adding Gordon Hayward/Blake Griffin in the offseason too.

The coats got himself fired for his inability to put a good team around fultz.

I'll bet 10k to $100 Tatum will never be a Paul Pierce type player..

So who does Boston pick now at #3? Fox?
If I am the Celtics, I am asking Sacramento for a trade. Take Fox at 3 send him to Sacramento and get Tatum at 5. Possibly another pick either 10 or a first next year.

The other option is 3, Crowder and Rozier for 16 and Butler.

Celts are getting a steal!! I thought they were getting the #3 and 2 future first rounders?? Even if it's 1 first rounder, they win this one.

Idk why everyone is so enamored with Fultz. He may not be as good as Ball, Fox, Smith or Jackson......Smart move for Boston IMO
Fultz is the best player in the draft AT THE MOMENT. He may not be in 2 years, 5 years or 10. But today he is much better than the second option.

Reactions: 1war
Duke players are high risk draft choices.

Signed,

Almost ever Duke player ever drafted outside Kyrie Irving and Elton Brand

ADVERTISEMENT