ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Cats alter rotation as No. 1 Gators come to town

Jeff Drummond

Nov 25, 2002
LEXINGTON, KY
Cats to play host to No. 1 Gators for three-game series

vjhgcgzc2uqfapj5tywa

UK ace Sean Hjelle will take the mound in the second game of the series on Friday at Cliff Hagan Stadium.
Jeff Drummond/Cats Illustrated

Jeff Drummond • CatsIllustrated.com
@JDrumUK

Kentucky has a big opportunity to solidify its spot in the national polls and improve its position for regional host consideration this week as the nation's consensus top-ranked team visits Lexington.

No. 1 Florida (32-7, 12-3 SEC) comes to Cliff Hagan Stadium for a three-game series beginning Thursday night. The Gators have won five of their last six games and 14 of 16 overall, although they were upset on Tuesday, 8-4, by Jacksonville.

No. 9 Kentucky (25-12, 7-8 SEC) seeks to rebound from an 8-2 loss on Tuesday at rival Louisville.

The Wildcats enter the matchup with the SEC's most dangerous offense, leading the league in slugging percentage (.520) and on-base percentage (.418), while ranking second in batting average (.307), runs scored (289) and home runs (59).

Florida, meanwhile, boasts arguably the strongest pitching in the SEC. The Gators have held opponents to a .220 batting average while posting a 3.09 team ERA.

The Gators don't simply rely on pitching, however. Jonathan India, a junior third baseman, is having one of the best seasons of any player nationally. He's currently fourth in the country with a .438 batting average, leads the country with a .562 on-base percentage, and has smashed 12 home runs as part of a gaudy .860 slugging percentage.

Teammate Will Dalton leads Florida with 13 home runs.

Kentucky counters with the power tandem of Kole Cottam and Luke Heyer, who are tied with Dalton for the league lead with 13 homers apiece. Heyer, a senior outfielder/third baseman, also leads the SEC with 42 RBI. UK catcher Troy Squires is third in the league with 39 RBI.

Preseason All-American outfielder Tristan Pompey leads the Cats with a .349 batting average.

The Cats will shake up their rotation slightly for the series after struggling with the middle game of SEC matchups this season. Recent Game 2 starter Zach Haake (1-3, 8.20 ERA), who has been filling in for the injured Zack Thompson, is scheduled to start Thursday's opener against Florida ace Brady Singer (7-1, 2.79 ERA). The Gators' star is among the top prospects for this year's MLB Draft.

Kentucky ace and reigning SEC Pitcher of the Year Sean Hjelle (5-2, 3.09 ERA) is slated to pitch Friday's game against Jackson Kowar (6-1, 2.70 ERA).

On Saturday in the series finale, Justin Lewis (6-2, 4.62 ERA) will take the mound against Florida's Tyler Dyson (5-2, 3.30 ERA).

The matchup also features two of the top closers in college baseball with UK's Chris Machamer (6 saves) and Florida's Michael Byrne (10 saves).

#1 FLORIDA at #6 KENTUCKY

Thursday at Kentucky

7 p.m. ET; Cliff Hagan Stadium; Lexington, Ky.

TV/Online: SEC Network

Radio: 98.5 FM Lexington; ukathletics.com

Probables: UF – RHP Brady Singer (7-1, 2.79) at UK - RHP Zach Haake (1-3, 8.20)

Friday at Kentucky

7:30 p.m. ET; Cliff Hagan Stadium; Lexington, Ky.

TV/Online: SEC Network

Radio: 630 AM WLAP; ukathletics.com

Probables: UF – RHP Jackson Kowar (6-1, 2.70) at UK - RHP Sean Hjelle (5-2, 2.86)

Saturday at Kentucky

1 p.m. ET; Cliff Hagan Stadium; Lexington, Ky.

TV/Online: SECN+

Radio: 630 AM WLAP; ukathletics.com

Probables: UF – RHP Tyler Dyson (5-2, 3.30) at UK - RHP Justin Lewis (6-2, 4.64)

Cats will have to play better than at any time all season and even then it may not be enough. I know one thing they better be swinging the bats. 3 hits and 2 runs won't get it.

Ummmm..........Im sorry but starting Haake on Thursday is a bad idea in my opinion. I hope Im proven wrong.
As long as they don't allow him to accumulate 9/10 walks and 115 pitches. Really I can't imagine Fla not pounding him. Sorry , but it is just what it is.

I do not understand why they'd move him to first...? This is weird logic.

Ummmm..........Im sorry but starting Haake on Thursday is a bad idea in my opinion. I hope Im proven wrong.

I think that’s playing the odds that people just don’t beat Singer. And since Saturday has been a problem, why not try to be as strong as possible in the two you’re most likely to win?

Reactions: RogerIndy
I think that’s playing the odds that people just don’t beat Singer. And since Saturday has been a problem, why not try to be as strong as possible in the two you’re most likely to win?

Maybe so, but Singer has a higher ERA than Kowar and both of them have just 1 loss in 9 starts. Both of them are practically unbeatable. Lol

But if, by some sort of divine intervention, Haake throws the game of his life, and we upset Florida in game 1, then the good times could roll.

Interesting that all projected starters are righties. It seems like we are conceding Thursday's game. I worry that we will use up our bullpen if Haake doesn't last more than a couple innings. I really don't like letting a team get confidence beating our BP up.

Seems crazy to basically concede game 1 (I know that's not what he thinks he is doing, but that's what it seems to me)

Florida is number 1....you rrally think we are gonna win 3 games much less 2??? Mingione is not gonna waste the Giant against Singer...its the only choice

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Well, the interesting part of this is what it does to the mentality of each player. We know Hjelle thrives off the idea of going first and setting the tone. How will it effect Hjelle not to be setting the tone? Will he be just as sharp or will it negatively affect him? What about Haake? How will he do regarding the change? Can it possibly make him sharper and help him to cut down on the hits?

Well, the interesting part of this is what it does to the mentality of each player. We know Hjelle thrives off the idea of going first and setting the tone. How will it effect Hjelle not to be setting the tone? Will he be just as sharp or will it negatively affect him? What about Haake? How will he do regarding the change? Can it possibly make him sharper and help him to cut down on the hits?
Not worried about Hjelle, but honestly all of our pitchers have struggled some this year vs last ...the entire team will have to be on their A game to have any shot and that includes the coaches.

I like the decision. I don’t want Hjelle to be outdueled in a close game and then UK staring at Haake to right the ship in game two. The question is, can UK get four solid innings out of Haake tonite?

I like the decision. I don’t want Hjelle to be outdueled in a close game and then UK staring at Haake to right the ship in game two. The question is, can UK get four solid innings out of Haake tonite?

Sort of my thinking as well. The goal is to win 2 of 3, and this is the best way to do it. Florida is due for a down series and maybe Singer is off tonight. Anything can happen in a single baseball game.

ADVERTISEMENT