ADVERTISEMENT

Cason Wallace is the best perimeter defender I’ve seen at UK

He’s superlative as a disruptor, especially against the drive. If we can figure out how to consistently turn those opportunities into scores, it will go a long way in curing a lot of ills.

Right now he is playing defense like Turner and shooting like Lamb. That’s a pretty good combination of traits.

Wallace is enthusiastic and puts in effort on defense. He had a lot of potential. That said he is green. Makes a lot of mistakes due to inexperience. He needs more quality competition and he will be outstanding.

Wall, Turner and probably a dozen or more guards were better, smarter, defenders. Still early. Better discussed in March.

Larry Johnson played at UK from 1975-77. He didn't really have a jump shot, but was the best lock down defender (aside from AD) that I've ever seen in a UK uniform and I've been following UK since 1966. He was a great ball handler too and had fabulous court vision that led to a lot of assists. His offense wasn't that bad, but what a ballplayer he was. Larry used to completely shut down Jimmy Dan Conner in practice and I can even recall Coach Hall putting him on Ernie Grunfeld one time down at UT. He eventually got into foul trouble, but did a damn good job shutting Grunfeld down for most of the game even though Grunfeld was slightly taller and stronger.
But the older players don't matter to most here. The latest is always the greatest.

Wallace is a really talented player.....but his lack of focus is why Miller got up so many good looks. Wallace is closing out way too late, goes under screens when we needed to go over screens, etc...

Very talented kid but he still struggles to execute the scouting report. MKG was the best ever perimeter defender i've ever seen at UK.

Reactions: jameslee32
Best perimeter defender to me is WCS. His ability to defend 1-5 is what made that team an historically good defense. He was an All-American for that reason alone. Say what you want about his offense (one of the top 3 reasons we lost to Wisconsin imo), but he is probably the best defender we've had at this school in the last 20 years not named Anthony Davis.

Reactions: Eccain01
In my lifetime better than Turner, Hawkins, Epps, Rondo, Ulis, Hagans, MKG, Liggins…

In a pick up game needing a stop to go down and get the game winning bucket gimme that mother ****er guarding ball.
He’s got a gift. It’s stupid. He’s basketball Josh Allen. Plus he can score. He’s Jrue Holiday and Marcus Smart. Instincts off the chart.

If you wanna win a national title with this team here’s what ya do:

Someone tell Cal.

The ball should spend the most minutes in the hands of Wallace and Thsiebwe. Wheeler can run point when he’s in but only like 20mpg until he can hit FTs. Can still get 6-7 assists a night pushing the pace. No time under 4 minutes in a 6 point or less game.

Play Livingston at the 4 only. Back up Toppin. Whatever. Split it 22-18 or 25-15. Nobody else plays the 4. Cept maybe Thiero.

Only Ugo backs up Tshiebwe. He has skills Ware doesn’t have like shot blocking and shooting. General basketball shit.

Ain’t worried about Fredrick. That shit will come around.

This should be the best team in the country. The roster ain’t the problem. The lineups are. Our coach parties like it’s 1999.

Let’s see what happens.
I think Wallace needs to play better perimeter defense. Maybe tonight’s game was an exception, but him man hit 5 three pointers tonight

The one play I noticed, that didn't get mentioned by the announcers. LSU tried a lob to their 7-footer in 1st half, Oscar had fronted him, and he wasn't able to get the lob. But the reason he couldn't was that Wallace had gotten his body right up against him and so he wasn't able to step in to the jump. Saved us 2 points there, and not sure anyone noticed. And seems like it was right when the momentum was starting to go their way, so was a big stop.

I think Wallace needs to play better perimeter defense. Maybe tonight’s game was an exception, but him man hit 5 three pointers tonight
His man took 13 3's. A couple were really (6'+) deep. I think he just tries to help and/or play the passing lanes a bit much sometimes, making his man more open. But he gets takeaways, deflects passes, and is helpful on the double team, so I won't complain about him leaving his man sometimes.

Reactions: bigbluemagoo
In my lifetime better than Turner, Hawkins, Epps, Rondo, Ulis, Hagans, MKG, Liggins…

In a pick up game needing a stop to go down and get the game winning bucket gimme that mother ****er guarding ball.
He’s got a gift. It’s stupid. He’s basketball Josh Allen. Plus he can score. He’s Jrue Holiday and Marcus Smart. Instincts off the chart.

Someone tell Cal.

The ball should spend the most minutes in the hands of Wallace and Thsiebwe. Wheeler can run point when he’s in but only like 20mpg until he can hit FTs. Can still get 6-7 assists a night pushing the pace. No time under 4 minutes in a 6 point or less game.

Play Livingston at the 4 only. Back up Toppin. Whatever. Split it 22-18 or 25-15. Nobody else plays the 4. Cept maybe Thiero.

Only Ugo backs up Tshiebwe. He has skills Ware doesn’t have like shot blocking and shooting. General basketball shit.

This should be the best team in the country. The roster ain’t the problem. The lineups are. Our coach parties like it’s 1999.

Let’s see what happens.
some of you must be awful young because there have been some really great defenders at UK, but people tend to live in the now.

Reactions: BCD
Rondo gambled a lot because even when he was beat, he would poke the ball free from behind or block his guys shot from behind with his ridiculously long arms and huge hands. His instincts were also second to none. That said, Cliff Hawkins is the best I've seen on the ball.

Reactions: bigbluemagoo
Wallace is a really talented player.....but his lack of focus is why Miller got up so many good looks. Wallace is closing out way too late, goes under screens when we needed to go over screens, etc...

Very talented kid but he still struggles to execute the scouting report. MKG was the best ever perimeter defender i've ever seen at UK.
Agree,he's very talented and is one of Cal's better recruits at the guard position. Saying that, he's a freshman that needs to learn cope with the game plan, stay in front of his man and greatly improve getting through screens. He has all the abilities and by seasons end will be much better. He should excel in the NBA after a few years of growth.

Someone tell Cal.

Let’s see what happens.
Thats a bit of a stretch. Wallace is good and I want him guarding the ball as much as possible but he has been beaten off the dribble quite a lot this year by people who have no business doing so. Many on your list I would take over Wallace at this point and it really isn't even close.

Thats a bit of a stretch. Wallace is good and I want him guarding the ball as much as possible but he has been beaten off the dribble quite a lot this year by people who have no business doing so. Many on your list I would take over Wallace at this point and it really isn't even close.
👍
And you don''t think there is any UK players from the past as good, personally I after last night I think LSU proved you wrong because he got beat off the dribble multiple times, but part of that is on Calipari and his defense.
👍
He’s not top 10
👍

Someone tell Cal.

Let’s see what happens.
Derek Anderson for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT