ADVERTISEMENT

Cason Wallace is the best perimeter defender I’ve seen at UK

Col. Angus

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2017
In my lifetime better than Turner, Hawkins, Epps, Rondo, Ulis, Hagans, MKG, Liggins…

In a pick up game needing a stop to go down and get the game winning bucket gimme that mother ****er guarding ball.
He’s got a gift. It’s stupid. He’s basketball Josh Allen. Plus he can score. He’s Jrue Holiday and Marcus Smart. Instincts off the chart.

If you wanna win a national title with this team here’s what ya do:

Someone tell Cal.

The ball should spend the most minutes in the hands of Wallace and Thsiebwe. Wheeler can run point when he’s in but only like 20mpg until he can hit FTs. Can still get 6-7 assists a night pushing the pace. No time under 4 minutes in a 6 point or less game.

Play Livingston at the 4 only. Back up Toppin. Whatever. Split it 22-18 or 25-15. Nobody else plays the 4. Cept maybe Thiero.

Only Ugo backs up Tshiebwe. He has skills Ware doesn’t have like shot blocking and shooting. General basketball shit.

Ain’t worried about Fredrick. That shit will come around.

This should be the best team in the country. The roster ain’t the problem. The lineups are. Our coach parties like it’s 1999.

Let’s see what happens.

Last edited:
In my lifetime better than Turner, Hawkins, Epps, Rondo, Ulis, Hagans, MKG, Liggins…

In a pick up game needing a stop to go down and get the game winning bucket gimme that mother ****er guarding ball.
He’s got a gift. It’s stupid. He’s basketball Josh Allen. Plus he can score. He’s Jrue Holiday and Marcus Smart. Instincts off the chart.

Someone tell Cal.

The ball should spend the most minutes in the hands of Wallace and Thsiebwe. Wheeler can run point when he’s in but only like 20mpg until he can hit FTs. Can still get 6-7 assists a night pushing the pace. No time under 4 minutes in a 6 point or less game.

Play Livingston at the 4 only. Back up Toppin. Whatever. Split it 22-18 or 25-15. Nobody else plays the 4. Cept maybe Thiero.

Only Ugo backs up Tshiebwe. He has skills Ware doesn’t have like shot blocking and shooting. General basketball shit.

This should be the best team in the country. The roster ain’t the problem. The lineups are. Our coach parties like it’s 1999.

Let’s see what happens.

Kernel Smooth.....

Someone tell Cal.

Let’s see what happens.
Larry Johnson played at UK from 1975-77. He didn't really have a jump shot, but was the best lock down defender (aside from AD) that I've ever seen in a UK uniform and I've been following UK since 1966. He was a great ball handler too and had fabulous court vision that led to a lot of assists. His offense wasn't that bad, but what a ballplayer he was. Larry used to completely shut down Jimmy Dan Conner in practice and I can even recall Coach Hall putting him on Ernie Grunfeld one time down at UT. He eventually got into foul trouble, but did a damn good job shutting Grunfeld down for most of the game even though Grunfeld was slightly taller and stronger.

Someone tell Cal.

Let’s see what happens.

This. x1000

Like literally. How do we know this, but our coach making millions doesn't? That's the part I don't get. Dude makes more in a week than I do all year, and he's just blah.

Rondo was one of the best I have seen along with Hawkins. Opposing Guards in the SEC dreaded having to go against those guys.

Reactions: sefus12

Someone tell Cal.

Let’s see what happens.
Definitely up there with Rondo, and Turner. Hawkins was a good on ball defender. Junior year Liggins was a defensive Nightmare. I’d prolly take him guarding anyone if I needed a stop. Obviously AD was a menace anywhere as well.

Someone tell Cal.

Let’s see what happens.
This ~

Col's post says perimeter defender, so no AD. We are lucky to have another defender with the kid's skillset. Now if we had a coach with enough basketball sense to use him strategically at the point and sit Wheeler when the game is on the line. We've seen enough of a sample size to realize Wheeler and Cal spit the bit out down the stretch.

Someone tell Cal.

Let’s see what happens.
Good list. For me, I elevate Liggins and Hawkins just slightly above the others, solely for their ability to not only lock up whoever they were guarding, but generally getting under their nerves while doing so. Seemed like the frustration levels for their man was a tad higher than others on the list. I see Wallace joining that tier, but with a jumpshot the other two didn't have, so with a higher ceiling than either.

Sorry, but I cannot get on board with this statement. That’s a mighty bold claim to be making …especially since we’ve still only seen Wallace play three games against non-mid major competition (and we lost 2 of those 3). Way too small of a sample size to be throwing out such over-the-top hyperbole.

But I agree with much of the rest of your post. I like the idea of Livingston replacing Collins as the sole backup 4 and Ugo replacing Ware as the sole backup 5 …even if that means Collins/Ware get cut out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Someone tell Cal.

Let’s see what happens.
Wayne Turner!

My memories of Rondo was he constantly gambled on defense. He was a hell of a steals man, but allowed a ton of dribble penetration. As far as an on the ball defender who could keep the opposing point guard from breaking down the defense, I thought Hawkins was better. Rondo liked to freelance a little too much.
That's the way I remember them too

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
My memories of Rondo was he constantly gambled on defense. He was a hell of a steals man, but allowed a ton of dribble penetration. As far as an on the ball defender who could keep the opposing point guard from breaking down the defense, I thought Hawkins was better. Rondo liked to freelance a little too much.
Agreed. Rondo has been overrated in this thread by quite a few in terms of on ball defense. Liggins and Hawkins were much better guarding their man with the ball. Hawkins was a treat to watch.

Last edited:
Wallace is outstanding. That's why you have to love 2024 wing Tre Johnson, who had a 39-point game against Wallace's hs last year.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Someone tell Cal.

Let’s see what happens.
I agree with all this and quite honestly, the lineups you spelled out, have been obvious for quite some time, but, for some reason, Cal is pretending to not see it.

Collins and Ware should only see the floor in blowouts and yes, Wheeler's minutes need to be cut in half.

Wallace
CJ
Reeves
Toppin or Livingston
Oscar

Play that lineup and by March, UK is the best team.

I said once Oscar and Toppin and Wheeler decided to return that this team was going all the way.
I stand by that summer comment.
F the haters!

Last edited:
Our fans now remember Rondo as better than he actually was here because he later became so good in the NBA. He actually had a surprisingly non-descript college career …modest stats, won no significant honors, his teams did nothing special, etc.

You can fairly make the argument that he became the best ever NBA defensive guard from UK. But he was not regarded in such terms when he was actually at UK.

Someone tell Cal.

Let’s see what happens.
Great post (the title was a bit Smooth-esque, but…).

It is obvious to pretty much everyone that the rotation should be just like you said.

G Wallace/Wheeler
G Fredrick
G Reeves
F Toppin/Livingston
F Tshiebwe/Onyenso

That’s the main 8-man rotation, with Thiero, Collins, and Ware play sparingly, filling in when there is an injury or foul trouble, etc.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Our fans now remember Rondo as better than he actually was here because he later became so good in the NBA. He actually had a surprisingly non-descript college career …modest stats, won no significant honors, his teams did nothing special, etc.

You can fairly make the argument that he became the best ever NBA defensive guard from UK. But he was not regarded in such terms when he was actually at UK.
Rondo was already a freak at UK, although Tubby did a lot to stifle him. I don’t really care how he was regarded. I watched him play, and it was sublime.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT