ADVERTISEMENT

"Cason Point": Wallace dishes out 9 assists and only 2 turnovers.

Case in point on why Wallace should continue starting over Wheeler. 9 to 2 assists-to-turnover ratio.

Let Wheeler come off the bench and be a sparkplug. He can accelerate the tempo when the opponent's rotation is getting tired. I like Wallace starting because opponents can't rely on a "sag on Wheeler" scheme from the tip. Plus, Wallace is better defensively.

At the end of the day, this is a great problem to have: either an all-SEC level point guard in Wheeler or a future lottery pick point guard in Wallace, both serving up the national player of the year downlow while surrounded by two of the top 10 shooters in college basketball and three of the most athletic forwards in the nation.

birthday-boy-cason-wallace-misses-triple-double-kentucky-debut.png
My question is why does matter if he starts as long as he gets half of the minutes?

Was that the greatest beatdown in UK basketball history? Howard coach said they’re better than us without our three players. He went to Duke so he’s pretty intelligent. Greatest win in UK history last night!
Honestly, I was shocked to hear he said that. I mean, that's some bravery right there. I'm not sure if that's confidence, foolishness, or just craziness for him to say that. Maybe he just didn't know much about the rest of UK's players?? I don't know. But man, he got proven WAY wrong on that one. :D

Edit: I was just reading their coach's comments after the game and I could tell he was in a bit of shock. I think the main thing he didn't expect was UK's defensive intensity. He thought they would be able to run their normal sets and get their normal shots. Our defense is way ahead of schedule, by the way. This group seems to really enjoy playing suffocating D, which is definitely a good thing.

Last edited:
Case in point on why Wallace should continue starting over Wheeler. 9 to 2 assists-to-turnover ratio.

Let Wheeler come off the bench and be a sparkplug. He can accelerate the tempo when the opponent's rotation is getting tired. I like Wallace starting because opponents can't rely on a "sag on Wheeler" scheme from the tip. Plus, Wallace is better defensively.

At the end of the day, this is a great problem to have: either an all-SEC level point guard in Wheeler or a future lottery pick point guard in Wallace, both serving up the national player of the year downlow while surrounded by two of the top 10 shooters in college basketball and three of the most athletic forwards in the nation.

I look for both Wallace and Wheeler to play a lot but at the end of games I look for Wallace to be playing point in crunch time.

Honestly, I was shocked to hear he said that. I mean, that's some bravery right there. I'm not sure if that's confidence, foolishness, or just craziness for him to say that. Maybe he just didn't know much about the rest of UK's players?? I don't know. But man, he got proven WAY wrong on that one. :D

Edit: I was just reading their coach's comments after the game and I could tell he was in a bit of shock. I think the main thing he didn't expect was UK's defensive intensity. He thought they would be able to run their normal sets and get their normal shots. Our defense is way ahead of schedule, by the way. This group seems to really enjoy playing suffocating D, which is definitely a good thing.
I expected this team to be a step up defensively from last year. But, I expected them to be a step back offensively. So far, that doesn't look like the case. If we're as good an offensive team as last year (when we were healthy) but substantially better at defense, we're gonna be damn good.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I look for both Wallace and Wheeler to play a lot but at the end of games I look for Wallace to be playing point in crunch time.
I'm cool with Wheeler averaging like 20 minutes but our closing lineup needs to be Wallace, Fredrick, Reeves (or possibly depending on matchups and if we need defense, sub in Livingston at the 3).

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul

Still early in the season. Not doubting your point, just want to see what he can do against a higher level team. Promising day 1 though.

My question is why does matter if he starts as long as he gets half of the minutes?

It's not "half of the minutes" I'm detailing, but tone at the start of the game. Plus, when Wheeler's in the game, Wallace can go to the other guard position.

I'm hoping Wallace is out there for about 30 minutes/game.

So he favored Brooks over Toppin yet Brooks transferred and Jacob is still on the team looking like a key cog on a title contender? Brooks was not that bad of a player. He shot 49 percent from the floor which is very very good for a 3/4 combo. His 3 point shooting left a lot to be desired for sure. If he shot 22 percent from 3 and 49 percent overall then he must not have been bricking those mid range jumpers you speak of.
Toppin is a very nice player and got plenty of minutes last year. Brooks Averaged 10.4 points and 4.4 rebounds in 24 MPG Toppin averaged 6.2 ppg and 3.2 rpg in 17.7 Mpg. It’s not like there was this huge gap in production between the two players lol. I’m not saying Cal is perfect and does not make coaching mistakes he does. Brooks was a returning 5 star you speak of and he only played 24 MPG and had to concede some of his time to a lower ranked Jacob Toppin. In your very post you mention the fantasy that Cal will play his 5 stars over lower ranked players and then you talk about playing Cason a 5 star over Wheeler who was not a highly ranked recruit. So if he plays Wheeler like we all expect then what’s the story line going to be now? Wheeler is going to play a ton of minutes at PG over Cason a 5 star so maybe just maybe this notion Cal favors his 5 stars over better lower ranked players is Bullshit lol.

I know this isn't the entire point of your post at all but just tossing in that Toppin is a way better defender than Brooks. By a mile...

Sometimes you have to manage egos a little. I would just say, “okay we are starting the Seniors” and then as the game goes play whoever is playing best. This allows Wheeler to continue to start and not feel demoted and then Wallace can still get more minutes and be in the game at crunch time. Finishers mean more than starters, IMHO.

Wheeler
Fredrick
Reeves
Toppin
Tshiebwe

Also that lineup is pretty complementary. Got good shooters on the wing to go with Wheeler and Tshiebwe.

I know some will disagree, but I think straight up benching Wheeler could hurt team chemistry.

Just start the Seniors and take the drama out of it. Doesn’t change much, Wallace will still get his 30 minutes, but Wheeler gets to say he is still the starter. Win-win.

Sometimes you have to manage egos a little. I would just say, “okay we are starting the Seniors” and then as the game goes play whoever is playing best. This allows Wheeler to continue to start and not feel demoted and then Wallace can still get more minutes and be in the game at crunch time. Finishers mean more than starters, IMHO.

Wheeler
Fredrick
Reeves
Toppin
Tshiebwe

Also that lineup is pretty complementary. Got good shooters on the wing to go with Wheeler and Tshiebwe.

I know some will disagree, but I think straight up benching Wheeler could hurt team chemistry.

Just start the Seniors and take the drama out of it. Doesn’t change much, Wallace will still get his 30 minutes, but Wheeler gets to say he is still the starter. Win-win.
Yeah, I think that is all fair. At least end up giving Wallace more of the total minutes at PG. If Wheeler is in, it definitely makes sense to have both Fredrick and Reeves on the court with him just so there is enough shooting. If you have Wallace at PG, you don't have to have both of them in together I don't think (though I do still love that lineup).

I go back all the way to the 63-64 season. I never saw Ralph Beard play. But since his 63-64 season, with all due respect to all the guards that have played at UK, Cason is one of the best that will have played here. If we are to make it to the final four this year, he will be playing the point. I know the press the coaches, the Talking Heads, so whoever’s are all Lynn on Wheeler, but it is my opinion that it will be Kayson Wallace who will lead us to number nine if we indeed make it to the final four in when it all.

I'm cool with Wheeler averaging like 20 minutes but our closing lineup needs to be Wallace, Fredrick, Reeves (or possibly depending on matchups and if we need defense, sub in Livingston at the 3).
Wheeler is going to play. He got in trouble a lot last year when he felt like he had to takeover when others weren’t producing. This year I don’t think that will be an issue. This team has a lot of different weapons.

I go back all the way to the 63-64 season. I never saw Ralph Beard play. But since his 63-64 season, with all due respect to all the guards that have played at UK, Cason is one of the best that will have played here. If we are to make it to the final four this year, he will be playing the point. I know the press the coaches, the Talking Heads, so whoever’s are all Lynn on Wheeler, but it is my opinion that it will be Kayson Wallace who will lead us to number nine if we indeed make it to the final four in when it all.
Who is Kayson?

We played Howard
They are currently ranked 241st in KenPom.
It reminds me of last year when Grady led our comeback win over Alabama as point guard.
He emptied the tank to run the position and he was done for the year. Oh he played but he was done.

I thot Cason struggled early with the quickness of Hawkins and couldn’t get by him and the offense was bogged down.

As the game wore on that changed. Maybe Hawkins got worn down. I know he struggled with Cason’s defense on him.

Whatever Cal decides, it should never be CW and SW both in the game at the same time.

I'm a big proponent of playing experience over freshmen, but lets not get ridiculous. You’re not going to play Eloy Vargas over AD, you're not going to start Briscoe over Fox and you're not going to start WCS over Nerlens. But those freshmen were top shelf kids. Wallace is a top shelf player.

Having said that, we have the luxury of having a guy like Wheeler that is more than capable of inflicting damage on most nights.

The issue comes in when we are playing a team that slows the game to a crawl AND when the opposing pg is a bigger, taller, stronger guy.

Remember the duke game last year? Trevor Keels went right through, over and around Wheeler all game long. Then, Wheeler lost his cool and tried to do too much on the offensive end.

Trevor Keels wouldn’t be able to go through Wallace like that.

Now, on the flip side, Wheeler did things in the uNC, KU and UT games that very few pg's in the country can do. He ran those teams into the ground. Nobody could stay in front of him on the break. I'm not sure Cason (ie: Kayson) can do that.

Cal just has to lay his favoritism to the side and play the guys that give UK the best chance to win.

Reactions: UKSanders
ADVERTISEMENT