ADVERTISEMENT

Carey

Apr 3, 2007
Just sharing here and I am by no means an insider for anything…. I live in South Florida and my neighbor works with Carey’s father. We were hanging out at our club pool Sunday with our kids. He said, didn’t you go to UK? I said yes, my wife and I both did. He said have you heard of Vernon Carey? I said of course.

He went on to tell me he works with his dad and he had no idea that he was the number one BB recruit in 2019. He said he has meet him a few times and that he is HUGE. His dad has been telling him that his son is being recruited by all of these big schools: Duke, Michigan State, Miami and Kentucky are the ones he mentioned.

He said that his dad really wants him to go to Duke but that Vernon wants to go to Kentucky. He seemed to believe based off the many conversations hes had with him that its up to Vernon and that he had already made up his mind where he wants to go. He did also say that Vernon wanted to see where all the other top players ended up before making his final decision.

My neighbor went to Florida State and this conversation was very casual. Obviously anything can happen, but he would have zero reason to make something like that up, let alone bring it up.

I guess we will see!

Just sharing here and I am by no means an insider for anything…. I live in South Florida and my neighbor works with Carey’s father. We were hanging out at our club pool Sunday with our kids. He said, didn’t you go to UK? I said yes, my wife and I both did. He said have you heard of Vernon Carey? I said of course.

He went on to tell me he works with his dad and he had no idea that he was the number one BB recruit in 2019. He said he has meet him a few times and that he is HUGE. His dad has been telling him that his son is being recruited by all of these big schools: Duke, Michigan State, Miami and Kentucky are the ones he mentioned.

He said that his dad really wants him to go to Duke but that Vernon wants to go to Kentucky. He seemed to believe based off the many conversations hes had with him that its up to Vernon and that he had already made up his mind where he wants to go. He did also say that Vernon wanted to see where all the other top players ended up before making his final decision.

My neighbor went to Florida State and this conversation was very casual. Obviously anything can happen, but he would have zero reason to make something like that up, let alone bring it up.

I guess we will see!
Sounds like a good plan.

I guess we will see!

You wouldn't happened to have frosted the tips of your hair, have you?

Thanks for sharing! Hopefully this is true and it is up to Vernon if he wants Kentucky!

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I so hope this is true and not some troll again. Carey would be a huge get by UK.

I so hope this is true and not some troll again. Carey would be a huge get by UK.
Just telling you my story... I wanted to share because I love hearing things like this myself. It does not mean it will happen..... my friend is a really good dude and it was a very non chalant conversation.

Take it for what it’s worth.... fingers crossed!

Yes.. it’s a golf/country club with a pool and lots of kids. Not that unusual in South Florida or Kentucky.
Yeah.. a joke.

I’m a high-end real estate developer. One of my developments was the spot Disney chose to shoot HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL.

We have done almost $3B in sales to-date.

Just taking this moment to hang my nuts for a moment then back to regularly scheduled whiskey posts..

Yeah.. a joke.

I’m a high-end real estate developer. One of my developments was the spot Disney chose to shoot HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL.

Just taking this moment to hang my nuts for a moment then back to regularly scheduled whiskey posts..

I need a lot of information that you can provide. I, too, want to be a developer of high things.

I’ll probably be private messaging you for advice.

Reactions: wromanp7
Vernon Carey's Dad played football at Miami and then the NFL if I am not mistaken. Have seen some speculate that dad would like him to follow in his footsteps at the U, but given Dad's nfl history, would be likely he would hang out at a country club. Pretty sure he wouldn't be interested in Duke for any pay out, I think the Carey family (as stated above) is not hurting financially.

False. It’s well known to scouts that his dad wants him to stay closer to home. The only true part of this thread is his dad is going to let him make his own decision

Has any parent in the history of Planet Earth not wanted Duke?

I think part of it is parents want to project an image that they care about education not just the nba. What they don’t realize is this isn’t 1994. K is just a OAD factory with no academic standards. No one is going to look at a Duke basketball degree in life and not realize this isn’t a traditional Duke student. It’s a waste.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I think part of it is parents want to project an image that they care about education not just the nba. What they don’t realize is this isn’t 1994. K is just a OAD factory with no academic standards. No one is going to look at a Duke basketball degree in life and not realize this isn’t a traditional Duke student. It’s a waste.
This or the paren't want their grandkids an 'in' to a so called high education institution(yet lack any moral fortitude for cheating and being an elitist asshole factory).
Anything to get jr aheard

False. It’s well known to scouts that his dad wants him to stay closer to home. The only true part of this thread is his dad is going to let him make his own decision
Believe what you want. Just passing a long what I was told.

Vernon Carey's Dad played football at Miami and then the NFL if I am not mistaken. Have seen some speculate that dad would like him to follow in his footsteps at the U, but given Dad's nfl history, would be likely he would hang out at a country club. Pretty sure he wouldn't be interested in Duke for any pay out, I think the Carey family (as stated above) is not hurting financially.
Yes, but his dad was not the one at the club talking to me. Vernon’s dad is a client of my neighbors.

Yeah.. a joke.

Wow, your commission checks must be unreal!!!

AlohaCat

The kind of education these players may receive at Duke is up to them. Just having the OPTION to get a highly valuable education at such a prestigious school is enough for many parents. I don’t understand how anyone can see anything wrong with that.

The kind of education these players may receive at Duke is up to them. Just having the OPTION to get a highly valuable education at such a prestigious school is enough for many parents. I don’t understand how anyone can see anything wrong with that.

It doesn’t matter on this scale. If your basketball players go for a job that the top 10% are attempting to land no one is going to take their degree seriously. Duke basketball players for the most part would not be at Duke if it weren’t for basketball skills. To think that a basketball players Duke degree is worth more than a Kentucky basketball degree or anyone else is hog wash. Bagley might have had trouble getting into some community colleges without basketball, yet he was accepted to Duke. Lol.

The days of Duke using their degree to bolster their position on the recruiting trail is over. You did that to yourselves when you allowed basketball players acceptance regardless of academics. Parents just keep buying it and they’ll come to find out it’s worthless.

4 year basketball players with a degree from Duke in communications is not on the level of academic achievement as regular Duke students.

It doesn’t matter on this scale. If your basketball players go for a job that the top 10% are attempting to land no one is going to take their degree seriously. Duke basketball players for the most part would not be at Duke if it weren’t for basketball skills. To think that a basketball players Duke degree is worth more than a Kentucky basketball degree or anyone else is hog wash. Bagley might have had trouble getting into some community colleges without basketball, yet he was accepted to Duke. Lol.

The days of Duke using their degree to bolster their position on the recruiting trail is over. You did that to yourselves when you allowed basketball players acceptance regardless of academics. Parents just keep buying it and they’ll come to find out it’s worthless.

4 year basketball players with a degree from Duke in communications is not on the level of academic achievement as regular Duke students.

That’s fair but I think you’re missing one big point. It’s not simply about the classes and the degree, it’s also about the kind of connections you can make. Duke has an impressive list of alumni all over the country who are doing quite well. It’s not always what you know but it’s who you know. And I’m not just talking within sports, although there are numerous benefits there as well.

That’s fair but I think you’re missing one big point. It’s not simply about the classes and the degree, it’s also about the kind of connections you can make. Duke has an impressive list of alumni all over the country who are doing quite well. It’s not always what you know but it’s who you know. And I’m not just talking within sports, although there are numerous benefits there as well.

You might not realize this, but Kentucky has been doing this far longer and better than Duke, and our players reap many benefits long term in state from playing at UK.

It’s not something that is unique to Duke, actually it probably happens more at other programs honestly.

UKentucky is also the state darling and connections in state are endless. I’m not saying Duke doesn’t have opportunities provided but not to the magnitude K wants to put off. That’s why Cal called him a liar essentially.

Yea because I'm sure Carey is hoping to get a prestigious education in 9 months taking basic courses. Get real.

We've heard over the past few years that parents are favoring Duke over UK most of the time. Fat Jeff has been paying recruits, parents are living in prestigious neighborhoods, etc. You can admit to taking money from a booster and nothing happens. You can admit to getting $100,000 in jewelry and nothing happens. You can get two high profile recruits eligible in one week (one of whom reclassified) when any other school knew they would never be eligible elsewhere. Duke is a private school and the NCAA has no subpoena powers. Therefore, they don't have to comply with open records requests. They can hide all their dirty deeds.

walnuts-on-tree-260nw-81540505.jpg

Reactions: awf and wromanp7
So I got banned from this site a couple weeks ago for posting the instagram post of Vernon Carey's mom saying the UK recruiting trip was off to a terrible start. I got BANNED for that. But guys calling UK fans derogatory names, PJShaiVan, and all the others don't? I don't get it...

So I got banned from this site a couple weeks ago for posting the instagram post of Vernon Carey's mom saying the UK recruiting trip was off to a terrible start. I got BANNED for that. But guys calling UK fans derogatory names, PJShaiVan, and all the others don't? I don't get it...
link?

Reactions: Mr_GG and wromanp7
ADVERTISEMENT