ADVERTISEMENT

Can Skal play as the "stretch" 4?

maysvilleky

All-American
Aug 13, 2003
Maybe not the deep 3 threat but 18 ft out? He definitely seems more comfortable facing the bucket. IMO Skal will be the person that Cal will turn to in place of Willis against AL.

Offensively, Skal isn't the problem. He essentially is playing a stretch 4 role now being used in almost exclusively pick and roll sets.

If you haven't noticed, almost any of us could go by him if he's forced to guard anyone outside of 5 feet. Making him guard someone like Luke Kornet, Ben Simmons or Dorian Finney-Smith would mean foul trouble within 5 minutes.

No & I hope we don't have to see him there. Weak as a lamb. I'm 70 and I can blow by him and probably out rebound him. I'm 6' 1" and still have 4 years eligibly left. :smiley:

Yeah, I mean it seems like we've been trying him as a stretch 4. He hits shots. Then he doesn't grab rebounds. He gets lost/beat on D.

Reactions: CatPhight
He'd be eaten alive on defense by athletic bigs who can get to
Yeah, I mean it seems like we've been trying him as a stretch 4. He hits shots. Then he doesn't grab rebounds. He gets lost/beat on D.

A paraplegic could blow by him going to the hole.

Weak and his head is clearly not always in the game.

He's basically been playing a stretch 5. Outside of Humphries, Poy, and Lee, we don't have a post presence.

And saying Lee is a post presence is stretching it a little.

Dear Little Baby Jesus, please give Skal some defensive footwork and ability to stay on the floor when given the headfake.....

Skal needs more time in college, at least 2 more years. Everybody remembers WCS freshman year he got pushed around a lot as well. WCS stayed in school worked his butt off, turns himself into a lottery pick. Skal going straight to the NBA after this season, his NBA career will be short. It takes some kids time to develop physically and mentally. I hope he don't make the mistake as so many others kids did.

I hope Skal stays. I think we could see a nice improvement from this season to next season. Playing with the studs we're gonna have could really help him.

Skal staying probably means we don't get Bolden. I'm sure some idiot NBA GM will take Skal.

I hope Skal stays. I think we could see a nice improvement from this season to next season. Playing with the studs we're gonna have could really help him.
Do we really want Skal getting minutes from the plethora of bodies we'll have next year? Because Cal will be trying to up Skal NBA stock in addition to winning next year...and I personally don't want any part of his weak mess defensive game.

- C: Bam, Lee and Humphries are all better than Skal next year. Possibly Bolden as well.
- PF: Willis, SKJ, Gabriel can get some PF minutes next year as well. Then you have Wynard..who knows what he's got

Outside of Wynard, there are no players on that list I want to see grabbing less clock to put Skal out there...and the first time Skal starts wussing out on the floor again, I'll be having a fit why Cal is so pre-occupied with one players' NBA future vs. getting a title.

Reactions: ZenCatFan73
The ONLY thing we can count on Skal doing this year is knocking down the occasional jumper. Everything else is gravy.

The ONLY thing we can count on Skal doing this year is knocking down the occasional jumper. Everything else is gravy.

Skal needs more time in college, at least 2 more years. Everybody remembers WCS freshman year he got pushed around a lot as well. WCS stayed in school worked his butt off, turns himself into a lottery pick. Skal going straight to the NBA after this season, his NBA career will be short. It takes some kids time to develop physically and mentally. I hope he don't make the mistake as so many others kids did.

The only thing that scares me is WCS was 10 times better than Skal as a freshman,

ADVERTISEMENT