ADVERTISEMENT

Can Humphries take over the Willis role on offense?

KMKAT

All-American
Sep 17, 2003
Duluth
For the interim, does Isaac have the skills to take over Willis' offensive role? Since we struggle at times on offense, I would think IH can come in and help.

I would slide him in with Lee playing the main post and allowing IH to roam the baseline more.

No. He is far too slow, and he can't shoot a 3... we're not entirely sure he can be consistent on the midrange, early results are good though. His man would eat him alive on the perimeter. He is a C, through and through.

You'd do better with Lee playing out there, he has defensive lapses but at least he can move.

NO. I felt a few times in the USC game that the guards did not want to throw the ball down into Humphries probably because they aren't that comfortable with him yet. I do think that he has a nice touch on his shot and once he gets strong around the hoop he is gonna be good.

Possible,if he could score down low,but he can't do that yet.

I don't think so. Willis spreads the floor which helps Murray and Ulis tremendously on drives and also on the pick and roll. Humph does not bring that to the table offensively. He provides rebounding and potential put backs.

We'd be smaller but honestly feel like Hawkins would be a better substitute for Willis. We need a 3rd scorer capable of making 3's to keep defenses honest.

Unfortunately we may have to slow it down if we can't replace Willis 3pt shooting

CAN we please get some Aussie chants for him, maybe especially if he knocks down a free throw. I mean where are the students on this, i know the rest of they crowd is asleep but this is too easy.

He brings 2 big things to the table that UK lacks:

1-Size at 7 ft. and bulky
2-Rebounding had 12 in just 20 mins v. aTm.

So, our 3 pointers are going to go down but we may give up fewer 2nd chance points.

I see an over all slight drop off but potentially not much.

Reactions: jte123
He brings 2 big things to the table that UK lacks:

1-Size at 7 ft. and bulky
2-Rebounding had 12 in just 20 mins v. aTm.

So, our 3 pointers are going to go down but we may give up fewer 2nd chance points.

I see an over all slight drop off but potentially not much.
The problem isn't exactly with how many 3's we will be losing, it has more to do with floor spacing. Without Willis that's one less outside threat we have. All teams will do will clog the paint and take away any driving lanes.

The problem isn't exactly with how many 3's we will be losing, it has more to do with floor spacing. Without Willis that's one less outside threat we have. All teams will do will clog the paint and take away any driving lanes.

OK and Murray and Ulis will light their asses up.

For the interim, does Isaac have the skills to take over Willis' offensive role? Since we struggle at times on offense, I would think IH can come in and help.

I would slide him in with Lee playing the main post and allowing IH to roam the baseline more.
Two different types of players, Willis's ability to shoot the three opened the lane up for Ulis and Murray and Briscoe, Hum will give them the rebounds and some muscle in the lane of defense and some points but he is a true post player, the best thing the guards can do is start working with Hum on passing into the low post and him kicking out to the open man at the three point line to help make the defense slack off on the double team down low.

no for the willis comparison. but i always thought he could be used the way ucla used their big man against us. pick and pop for a mid range shot. which i think he has btw.

No offense OP .. but Cmon . You cant be that dumb or serious ????. If Hump cant fill DW's role as a 3 point bomber then maybe Johny David or Dillion Pulliam can fill in ? Until then I'll for Isaac to be roaming the 3 pt line . dang .

He can score down low has a nice touch. and can also score from 10-12 feet. He will probably score on put backs and at the F T line, just like he did Sat. night. He is right now our best rebounder, garbbing 1/3 of our total against A&M.

Hard to believe people cant remember just how freaking bad our O was before DW was given minutes , then into the starting lineup .. I love Tyler and Jamal but with no one else to expand the floor those 2 get much more guardable . Can you use your imagination and see how easily we could be defended with Isiah , Hump and Lee on the floor at the same time ?? that's a TERRIBLE offensive lineup .

Hard to believe people cant remember just how freaking bad our O was before DW was given minutes , then into the starting lineup .. I love Tyler and Jamal but with no one else to expand the floor those 2 get much more guardable . Can you use your imagination and see how easily we could be defended with Isiah , Hump and Lee on the floor at the same time ?? that's a TERRIBLE offensive lineup .

Who do we play then? Every lineup is a terrible offensive lineup. Skal has to shoot 100% to make up for the layups he's giving up.

No, he's a better rebounder, but that's about it.

When he's in the game, the offense changes quite a bit. He doesn't space the floor as well, so it's easier for the opposing defense to focus on Murray.

Thats why they pay me zero to comment here and Cal has lots of zero's on his paychecks :) ... to give an OPINION I'd play Briscoe less and Dom more . And I'd would have made an attempt 6-8 weeks ago to have Hump more ready than he is now . Hopefully Alex comes back as the engaged good Alex not the passive Alex . If he plays poorly we are not going to peak like we looked like we were going to . Unless DW comes back within 2 weeks

Hand pick your results much ? No problem MdWildcat . I'm in no mood to argue with a fellow Cat brother . Its my opinion we got light years better with DW in the starting 5 VS him not getting any minutes without the immediate hook. But thats just this fans opinion . We have came so far in 4-6 weeks , just hate to see the positive momentum erode . But no DW equals poor offense in the future I'm afraid .

I can't even believe this question is being asked. Humphries might can score and rebound as well as Willis, but he can't take over his role. Willis is a great perimeter shooter, a good rebounder, and he can handle the ball and finish on the break. His game and Humphries' game aren't similar in any manner.

Humphries is another big guy who has a face up game with no chance of driving , which is much easier to defend than a back to the basket player . We need an effective traditional back to the basket post player that you can feed the ball and create opportunities from . Willis can only shoot threes , Skal can shoot but is the same way on offense as Hump , Lee has no face or back game and Alex is a better at it than anyone but it's not a strength of his either . Our low post offense when healthy is abysmal , it can't be fixed but only patched this year . Really we have abandoned any thought of a post threat since Alex got hurt , it's been fine too as long as we hit shots .

Yeah totally. They're very similar players. Humphries is perfect to stretch the D and he's perfectly capable of knocking down 3-4 or even 7 3's a game and shooting 40plus % from downtown. Yeah. Not illogical at all KMKAT.

Man, man, man,...that's really reaching...[laughing]

I often wonder about our own fan base and their knowledge. Maybe people just like to start posts?

Waiting to see what happens now with Willis and Alex out, and this could be Cal's beat coaching job in a very long time.

Man, man, man,...that's really reaching...[laughing]
Yeah, probably reaching, but our offense does need a boost from someone other than our 2 main guards.

With Poy and Willis out, just curious if IH can contribute more than just a random offensive rebound.
I know the confidence may not be there, but he came here with a reputation for scoring points. I expect to see more out of him this week.

Reactions: BBUK
I think Humphries can be an important piece of the puzzle and he may be our best rebounder already but in no way is his game anything like Willis'.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT