ADVERTISEMENT

Can Brooks be like PJ Washington next year?

Big Cat fan

Senior
Oct 29, 2007
Can he next season be as good as PJ was in 2018/19? To me he's the biggest key guy that will be returning. If he returns. I think he can get better. Maybe a LOT better

Maybe even work into a 20-25 draft pick.

PJ was an elite scorer on the block his freshman year. He transformed his body and became an elite multi level scorer his sophomore year. They're different players with different games. I don't see Brooks making that jump.

PJ was WAAAAYYY more athletic and had LOOOONNNGG arms which allowed him to play bigger than he actually was. Keon is SLLLOOOWWW, has HORRIBLE footwork and can't defend ANYWHERE on the floor. He's a decent shooter but is loose with the ball, a bad passer and not strong enough to score in the paint consistently.

He was the 2nd worst player on the floor after Askew today. He was supposed to be the leader of this team, yet he can't even play well enough to be a solid 6th man. He needs to work on his strength and overall game for at least another year but actually needs 2.

PJ was WAAAAYYY more athletic and had LOOOONNNGG arms which allowed him to play bigger than he actually was. Keon is SLLLOOOWWW, has HORRIBLE footwork and can't defend ANYWHERE on the floor. He's a decent shooter but is loose with the ball, a bad passer and not strong enough to score in the paint consistently.

He was the 2nd worst player on the floor after Askew today. He was supposed to be the leader of this team, yet he can't even play well enough to be a solid 6th man. He needs to work on his strength and overall game for at least another year but actually needs 2.
He was awful today.

I like Brooks because I see what he CAN be here in two more years. The question is whether he stays. Guys like him are absolutely whom used to be 4 year guys and what UK was made of.

I also did not like his ignorant comments about Rupp and renaming the arena. I'd like for him to stick around, see just how good it can be here over 4 yrs, see him mature and open his eyes.

Too inconsistent this year to be in that company. Sometimes he looks like the best player, then he just disappears.

I like Toppin, though he's nowhere near the player of PJ, two completely different levels. He can be a consistent scorer next year and average double digits the year afterwards, though even his brother hasn't really taken off yet in the league. Toppin has potential, untapped and it may stay that way, you never really know.

Reactions: BourbonBalz
No he’s a pretty good rebounder - good free throw shooter - decent 15’ jumper

Rest of game is not so hot
One of the worst defensive players in the program - looks lost all the time - gets stripped all the time on offense - a poor at the rim finisher
Doesnt seem like type that will put in the work

Brooks looks a little bulked up this year to me. He needs to be leaner and quicker. Don’t know what drives him if anything.

Do we ever see anyone who looks like they’re having fun? Even when they’re playing well.

1. Brooks is a good player and can be in the ballpark of PJ...same old UK fans tearing down our own again.
2. But the bigger question is he going to even come back..which is Ca's absurd roster turnover

Keion could make a big leap next year. I don’t think he will be as good as pj but he could make just as big of an impact.
Brooks
Mintz
Toppin

you get this as the core of leadership and add some new talent who knows.
You add
allen
Ware
Fletcher
Or askew and we are moving in the right direction retaining players with upside. We need some front court size and length for next year. Jackson and tahweibe would have been great together

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
His heart doesn't seem to be in it.
I’ve said before that none of the players look like they’re having fun, even when they’re winning. I’m sure the record has a lot to do with it, but the Covid situation also has quite a bit to do with it. They haven’t really gotten to be normal college students this year. They also haven’t been able to experience the real UK basketball experience with very limited crowds, lack of personal exposure to fans in and around Lexington. I hope that alone will spur several to return next season but I have lots of doubts. Most look like they can’t wait to leave. It’s a sad state of affairs.

Yes but he just has different skills. He isn't as developed in the post but his handle is exponentially better. Pj was a much better shooter too as a sophomore.

I think brooks is more athletic. Pj has great length but his leaping wasn't elite. He wasn't capable of the poster that brooks threw down.

Can he next season be as good as PJ was in 2018/19? To me he's the biggest key guy that will be returning. If he returns. I think he can get better. Maybe a LOT better

Maybe even work into a 20-25 draft pick.
He better develop a half-hook in thr lane. PJ made that his move and he got it whenever he wanted.

There are too many times when Brooks does not seemed engaged when he is on the floor. I am to the point with this BB program that I don't care who leaves or stays. It gets exhausting trying to figure it out. I will watch who ever suits up and go from there. For a team like this year's team to be so bad at times and then think some of these kids believe they are ready for the next level is beyond stupid. Boston for example would get abused in the NBA or the G League because he is about as strong as my 11 year old niece. Jackson may be able to block a shot or grab a board, but he can't do that if he is sitting on the bench because of foul trouble.

Reactions: IrishMike409
PJ was a freak of nature and might easily have been the number 1 overall pick if he’d been two inches taller. Brooks isn’t anywhere near that and there’s no shame in that.

What Brooks can do if he comes back is make a leap between his soph self and his junior self, similar in proportion to the leap PJ made between his frosh self and his sophomore self. And that would be a huge break for us in these years of hunger and attrition.

Are we sure he's even returning?If EJ can leave anyone can.
Did you know EJ is playing in Lithuania? Haggans is a “free agent” having been fined and released from his G league team for violating covid protocols. That’s what they left UK for. I don’t think anyone gets drafted but Jackson and Boston. Clarke and Brooks should come back, but this is UK. Guys would rather get paid to play in Lithuania.

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT