ADVERTISEMENT

Cameron Johnson come on down!!!

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
I know you are a 2G/SF, and Bam is a PF/C. But there is definitely a scholarship now available, and we really could use you.

Add in Diallo most likely leaving and we have lots of room and scholarships available, Johnson would probably see some pretty good PT with Cats.

If Calipari thought Diallo were leaving, he would be on Mark Smith A LOT more than he is. Diallo was always expected to test the waters and not hire an agent. Nobody will want to draft him in the first round based on highlight clips and the fact that he is known as a bad 3 point shooter.

If Calipari thought Diallo were leaving, he would be on Mark Smith A LOT more than he is. Diallo was always expected to test the waters and not hire an agent. Nobody will want to draft him in the first round based on highlight clips and the fact that he is known as a bad 3 point shooter.
He's projected in 1st round. Don't be surprised that he stays in.

2017 first round or 2018 first round?

People keep posting that he is a 2017 projected 1st rounder but I have yet to see a link.
I saw it earlier. I'll have to find it again but I might of been mistaken. Point being he might stay in. Guys like Briscoe show that

If Diallo leaves he might have really screwed us. Maybe Knox really wanted to expand his perimeter game and play the 2G (which Cal has been selling), but since Diallo was here he looked the other way, giving other schools time to impress him.

Maybe we could have gotten Lonnie Walker or Trey Young. This list goes on.

If he goes, which is technically uncertain but feels imminent, Smith, Bamba, and Johnson become priorities to complete the roster.

Makes sense, due to the Pittsburgh connection. But Trier came back and I haven't heard that Alkins declared. If he waits to see what Diallo does, I still think we have the inside track.

Trier probably came back because the drug test wouldve been too soon for him.

How can you fail a drug test and only be suspended for the games no one cares about.

So did people honestly expect Diallo wouldnt take the free opporunity to work out in front of NBA scouts.
No, we expected that. What we didn't expect was for him to come in and say on 2-3 different occasions that he was not interested in the draft this year and then declare for the draft (granted, no agent) and start thanking everyone for their help.

Don't ignore the context of the situation. And don't fool yourself into thinking that we're a bunch of NBA fans. We're Kentucky fans, and while we want the best for our players we also don't want our program to be used because to a lot of us UK basketball is the most precious thing from our homes that we have (excluding family, friends, and religion of course).

Plus, imo, you're not a cat if you never wear the jersey and had the opportunity too. I know he technically wore it, but you get my point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Titles1
He absolutely is a priority.

I might have missed it, but have you explained how you're connected to this recruitment? I'm not being sarcastic at all, I just notice you've posted a lot about it and seem to be very confident in what you know, so what's the link?

Seems like a random connection to have, but those are usually the good ones. I mean, we knew Wenyen was coming because his teammate found this board.

He's projected in 1st round. Don't be surprised that he stays in.

"Projected", no. I don't think there has been anytime yet for him to be projected anywhere. But in this deep talented draft, there is no way he goes earlier than in the 20's, with a good chance he is in the 2nd round. But it's smart for him to get some feedback and see what he needs to work on (if nothing else than to support what Cal & staff have been telling him).
But even if he becomes a projected late first round pick, I would still be surprised if he stayed in. Why? Because, in a weaker draft next year, after a year of high competition, he easily could become a lottery pick with a chance at top 10. That is a big $ reason to play at UK next year. ($10M for 3yr >>> $3M for 3yr)

I might have missed it, but have you explained how you're connected to this recruitment? I'm not being sarcastic at all, I just notice you've posted a lot about it and seem to be very confident in what you know, so what's the link?

Seems like a random connection to have, but those are usually the good ones. I mean, we knew Wenyen was coming because his teammate found this board.

No specific connection to this recruit.
I post stuff on occasion about different things.
A week or so ago I posted on "coach's" thread that Bam would be leaving.
I posted that Tai may head home.
A while ago I posted that Shai was dropping Florida and that cats were getting involved.
In fairness… There have been times things that were expected to happen, didn't.
I did not foresee diallo situation, and know nothing of his intentions.
But, I try to pass on what I know… or what I think I know... when I can. :)

Nobody has Diallo projected in the first round of this draft, because nobody expects him to remain committed to this year's draft.

Without any real game tape to go on and the fact that he is known as an "iffy" shooter at best, I do not see any team taking such a young player with so little experience that is not a dream prospect in every area.

Reactions: BlueSince92
Nobody has Diallo projected in the first round of this draft, because nobody expects him to remain committed to this year's draft.

Without any real game tape to go on and the fact that he is known as an "iffy" shooter at best, I do not see any team taking such a young player with so little experience that is not a dream prospect in every area.
Who knows what can happen in today's wacky system, but in general this is how I see it too. Sure the league drafts on potential and sure all three of defense, length, and athleticism count now more than they used to. And probably at every other position I'd take his chances this year more seriously. But taking a non-shooting Shooting Guard in the first round? With the combine measurements and maybe two workouts as your only evidence his other attributes even translate beyond high school? When that position is notorious for having the longest list of guys every year who are great shooters with other decent skills and still get hung out to dry? I may eat a lot of crow but I still think this is one of those things where I'll believe it when I see it.

Does anyone know what Diallo's high school 3 pt percentages are? I found his freshman and sophomore year percentages (34% both years) on MaxPreps, but nothing after that.

Everyone keeps saying he's a shooting guard that can't shoot, but 34% from 3 is what Baker also shot his sophomore and senior year's (38% as a freshman, with no junior year stats listed) and he's been talked about as the shooter that Kentucky greatly needed in this class. Of course, he does have very nice looking form and a quick release on his shot from the clips I've seen of him, and he attempted more 3's than Diallo in each year that was listed for both of them, so maybe that's what they're going by. Another thing to consider, though, is that Diallo has gotten by on his freak athleticism and dunking up to this point, so his outside shot hasn't been as necessary.

ADVERTISEMENT