ADVERTISEMENT

Cal's post game quote about believing in this team

“I told them at halftime, ‘Dudes were winning this. Make a shot or two and watch what happens.’ And then we started with the post-up to Oscar [Tshiebwe], just kept it, and then all of a sudden we went from down eight to up two and we kept fighting and we made free throws.
But I asked them after, ‘When are you gonna believe me, how good we can be? Why am I — You should believe more than I believe!'”
I still, I’m telling you, I believe in this team. I know some people jumped off the bandwagon. I know. When you jump back on, you gotta jump in the very back and hold on to the rail. But this team can do this if they choose to do it.”
Thats the reason I can't stand him!! He talks.like we are off the bandwagon ,excuse me Cal, we been fans before you ,we will be here long after your gone .I also believe nobody stopped cheering ,we just wanted you to play the best team , this idiot talks to us like we are retarded ,when he is the one who took 17games to play the right guys! Then he talks to us like basketball is this complex sport that fans dont have a clue about ,then he comes out last night, and says it's not brain surgery or something to that idiotic affect ,the guy talks outta his mind to fans who care more about this program then he ever will! I want Cal to win games period ,I don't care about his opinion on any fan getting on the bandwagon ,and all that stupid shit ,start doing your job ,sitting players who are 2nd and 3rd best, and coach, to the best of your ability ,and shut up worried, about us fans!

Last edited:
I don’t get the bandwagon comment. the fact is he finally played the lineup hundreds of us were begging him to. Not sure why he gets 8 million plus when the fans finally convinced him to play Wallace at point, spread the offense a bit with Frederick ,Livingston and or Reaves on the wings . It was so obvious to any of us who gave played the game .

It looks like to me he’s the one who finally got on the bandwagon because the fans got tired of him not playing the best lineup to give us a chance to win.
Not bandwagon fans. Bandwagon coach.
Exactly right,that's why I can't stand his arrogant ass!!

Reactions: The-Hack
For someone that says he blocks out all the noise and doesn't listen to the negative comments, he sure knows about a lot about all the noise and negative comments.
I dont believe a word he says,shutup and coach,he needs to shut up about the fans!

Reactions: kyjeff1
Not many BBN fan are going to jump on a bandwagon hauling crap.....and believe me 12-6 and unranked is crap for UK. Have we fallen so far that we brag about a home win against an unranked team? Why not just say "snake oil for sale CHEAP" ?
Well he don't believe his BS but he try's to sell it! The fact is fans are sick of hearing about it ,DOOO IT!!

Well hey, I'll admit I jumped off the bandwagon, that is, if the bandwagon believes this team could beat good teams. I definitely jumped off.

But I don't mind these comments, really. The part I'm focused on is the positive words about believing in themselves. I do believe this team has been pretty fragile mentally. You could see it in multiple games. Much of their problem against good teams has been mental, same thing with free throws. That's probably why Cal's usual negativity and angry coaching hasn't worked with this group.

So, I'm glad to hear he's encouraging them to believe in themselves. And as for the bandwagon comments, is anyone really surprised or truly offended? If you are, you're probably pretty fragile yourself. He also buttered up the fans in that interview, saying how much he loves our fans and people's comments about him hating fans is ridiculous.

And yes, that tells me, despite his comments about ignoring the chatter, he is paying attention.

But here's my bottom line: just win baby! Keep this team playing well. Keep them positive about their play. Keep the right guys on the floor. Keep winning. Do that, and say whatever you want.

Reactions: ChaiseyD
I'm not criticizing Lou with this post, but I'm curious if people really think he played this lineup now because fans were begging him to. His coaching since he has been here has been stubborn, but overall successful. He is willing to accept losses in order to get his team to play the way he thinks will be successful in March. Some of his teams never bought in to what he was selling, but he generally approaches a season like Norman Dale. I will break you down and make you play my way, and if you buy in we will eventually be good. By and large it has led to tournament success, just not so much lately. I do think his bad teams were full of players that refused to buy in to the team first approach. As a fan that wants to win every game, it is frustrating, but I while I've been as frustrated as anyone as a fan, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and trust that if the players all eventually buy in, we have a shot come March. The locker room scene at UT tells me that they are starting to buy in and that he has not lost the locker room like he has in years past.
Cal needs fans like you.

How have you managed to survive for 10 of the last 12 years then. Only twice have Cal’s teams come out blazing from the start and been great in January. The rest of them have taken time to develop and lost a lot in December and January. Most of us have enjoyed the journeys. I get why this year is different to us because of all the expectations surrounding a team full of veterans. But it sounds like Cal has been saying the problem is between their ears, not on the floor. These guys for some reason have not played with confidence, especially confidence in each other.
First, I said I enjoyed watching "good" basketball, not "perfect" basketball. I understand that teams will not be playing at their peak from game one on. But, they also don't have to look like complete crap for 15-20 games before they figure something out. The way I've been able to deal with it is because from 2010 until basically 2018, Cal had proven he could get the teams ready by tournament time and they delivered more often than not. So, I'd suffer through the season knowing that most likely the team would be ready when it mattered most.

But the last 3-4 years haven't been that way. Granted Covid screwed some things up. In my mind the worst of the bad regular season basketball has happened within the last few years. Other years have at least been tolerable. This team appears to be getting better now, finally. But you have to admit, this team looked like trash for the first 16 games, with one bad performance not looking any different than another. The only thing that changed was the quality of the opponent.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Well hey, I'll admit I jumped off the bandwagon, that is, if the bandwagon believes this team could beat good teams. I definitely jumped off.

But I don't mind these comments, really. The part I'm focused on is the positive words about believing in themselves. I do believe this team has been pretty fragile mentally. You could see it in multiple games. Much of their problem against good teams has been mental, same thing with free throws. That's probably why Cal's usual negativity and angry coaching hasn't worked with this group.

So, I'm glad to hear he's encouraging them to believe in themselves. And as for the bandwagon comments, is anyone really surprised or truly offended? If you are, you're probably pretty fragile yourself. He also buttered up the fans in that interview, saying how much he loves our fans and people's comments about him hating fans is ridiculous.

And yes, that tells me, despite his comments about ignoring the chatter, he is paying attention.

But here's my bottom line: just win baby! Keep this team playing well. Keep them positive about their play. Keep the right guys on the floor. Keep winning. Do that, and say whatever you want.
This.
IMO if you are offended by the “bandwagon” comment you got rabbit ears. Or agenda against Cal. He could say the sky is blue and some would uproar

My observation (and I am no bb expert) is that players in Calipari’s system have to overachieve in order for UK to be successful. They have to have all the skills to defend and play offense as this system evolves more organically than strategically.

I have said in another thread that Coach Calipari uses an NBA playbook to get his players to the next level - which works great if you have NBA caliber players like Wall, Cousins, Davis, Fox, etc. But, this current team is a classic college team and they need more input than an NBA style team. Look at Oscar - putting up crazy numbers but not an NBA prospect unless he continues to produce at the same level and even then, he may be passed over because of his skill set and size.

I think we fans would just love to see more college level offensive sets and tightening the defense while teaching basic skills to help the team succeed. How many open layups did Georgia get in that game on Tuesday? That is frustrating to watch and NOT UK basketball. Be a coach not just an agent.

• Love
My observation (and I am no bb expert) is that players in Calipari’s system have to overachieve in order for UK to be successful. They have to have all the skills to defend and play offense as this system evolves more organically than strategically.

I have said in another thread that Coach Calipari uses an NBA playbook to get his players to the next level - which works great if you have NBA caliber players like Wall, Cousins, Davis, Fox, etc. But, this current team is a classic college team and they need more input than an NBA style team. Look at Oscar - putting up crazy numbers but not an NBA prospect unless he continues to produce at the same level and even then, he may be passed over because of his skill set and size.

I think we fans would just love to see more college level offensive sets and tightening the defense while teaching basic skills to help the team succeed. How many open layups did Georgia get in that game on Tuesday? That is frustrating to watch and NOT UK basketball. Be a coach not just an agent.
I think you're right. Realky good players have to overachieve to be successful in this system. It seems like every aspect of this system is much harder to execute thzn it should be. Everything is a struggle.

What's funny is, Kansas and Baylor, two teams that have won recent titles, run systems that mimic the style of play that the NBA plays now. Cal's system is straight out of the 80's and 90's.

I agree. I think your first observation is exactly what was wrong with this team initially this season. They were trying to play kind of a wide open kind of style (like some NBA teams play) with no called plays. This team did ok with that style against weaker teams, but when they stepped up in competition and dealt with game pressure, they clearly couldn't play that way. That was the first tweak Cal attempted after the Missouri game. He started calling set plays or actions for them to run, and that did help them some. But then came the Alabama slaughter and the South Carolina debacle and it was clear there was something even greater that was a significant issue. It seems there were some locker room issues that were causing problems, and quite a bit of people who would wilt under pressure. I think the team only meeting that was called helped that issue significantly. And of course, the lineup changes have also been a significant adjustment as well.

As for the 1st half defensive lapses, Cal actually admitted it was his fault and that he was wrong after the game. It was his idea to pick up full court and to have extended pressure on their ball handlers, specifically Terry Roberts. His assistants thought that was a mistake. Cal thought pressuring him would keep him in check, but we all saw the result. So, in the 2nd half, they backed off the extended pressure and packed everyone back to offer help. Cason Wallace was much better in the 2nd half on him. Wallace's foul trouble in the first half hurt the team also, so he only played 10 minutes of the first half, and Roberts ate us alive. Cal admitted that the assistants were right and he was wrong when he was talking to Tom Leach after the game.

He also said in that Leach interview that the team is beginning to play for each other and not just for themselves and their own numbers. He said the team saw how Oscar was playing and kept telling Cal to run plays for Oscar. He said this was a good sign because it shows they're more concerned with winning than their own numbers. I think that's definitely a positive development.

“I told them at halftime, ‘Dudes were winning this. Make a shot or two and watch what happens.’ And then we started with the post-up to Oscar [Tshiebwe], just kept it, and then all of a sudden we went from down eight to up two and we kept fighting and we made free throws.
But I asked them after, ‘When are you gonna believe me, how good we can be? Why am I — You should believe more than I believe!'”
I still, I’m telling you, I believe in this team. I know some people jumped off the bandwagon. I know. When you jump back on, you gotta jump in the very back and hold on to the rail. But this team can do this if they choose to do it.”
Cal sucks. Snake oil salesman

Talking about “bandwagon fans” when you’re having success because you were forced to finally play the lineup these same fans wanted is peak Cal
It’s not just a lineup that fans wanted it’s the lineup that makes sense and gives UK the best chance to wins games. It is blatantly obvious to the fans………and media, and opposing coaches, and grandmas in nursing homes, basically everybody.

His mission is bigger than winning games and titles remember?
Screw the fans.
Screw what his job is supposed to be.
To publicly come out and say shit like that. It just shows he thinks he’s above everything and everybody, but, like most, I always watch and hope we can win. That’s what I’ve done for a loooong time. It’s like you’re sitting back just wondering, when will the crap game rear it’s ugly head again. Wheeler probably plays 28 minutes in a 4 point loss Saturday. Just can’t help but think like this with this guy.

I will paraphrase what I stated in the other thread. Generalizations are the essence of prejudice. It can come back on you as well.

Cal's coaching may be bandwagon coaching. He seems to need the likes of AD's, TJ's, MKG's, and the ilk to coach winning basketball...
Been saying this did years! Must have the me "best of the best"

Who here knows if Wallace was ready earlier?
Wallace looked ready against Georgia for sure. That's the best he's played at the point guard position all season. He was very steady with the ball, handled the press a few times, initiated the offense. Against Tennessee he was clearly in pain, so I can't judge him on that game. Earlier in the season he was very shaky against ball pressure and struggled initiating the offense against any ball pressure. At times, it has looked like he had trouble multi-tasking. If he was in pg mode, he rarely looked to score. But against Georgia, especially in the 2nd half, he was making plays for others AND looking for his own offense when he had opportunities. That's what we need him to do.

I will say this, for my part: up until the last few games, Wallace had not shown me that he was ready to run the point. But it's clear he's ready now.

Having said this, Texas A&M is going to present a greater challenge, especially defensively, for Wallace. They pressure the ball strongly, trap some, and it will be tough on all our guards. If Wallace can run the point in this game without turning it over, he can do it against anyone.

I was never on any “bandwagon” anyway
Bandwagon implies you only cheer for the team
Winning at the time and then you become a fan for the next team
Grew up at least nominally a UK fan (my parents were fans). Remember the bigger games of the 70s..wins and losses
There’s a picture somewhere of just turned 13 year old me standing on a chair between Melvin Turpin and Sam Bowie..at a GodFathers in Lexington.
I really started paying attention in about 86 or so…and that’s because I was in downtown Louisville with a friend when Louisville won the 86 title. Good Lord their fans were obnoxious and apparently didn’t like that I was wearing purple
So I started watching and listening to Kentucky ..stuck with them since through everything, learned a lot of history too
so no, not a bandwagon fan at all
Accusing you of being a band wagon fan is like accusing Michael Jordan of being passive.

I'll give credit where credit is due: If that was what Calipari preached to the team at halftime, then Calipari did a nice job with the limited time a head coach can devote to a rah-rah speech during the half. And if that is truly what Calipari told the team at halftime, then I don't have any beef with Calipari's postgame comments about jumping back on the bandwagon while holding onto the rail - I think the first goes hand in hand with the second. 'Us against all the doubters' can become a rallying point for a college team - so long as the players believe it's authentic and the coaches don't overplay that hand. Nobody's ever going to accuse Calipari of having Lou Holtz's locker room charm, but if that's the speech he gave at halftime, the final scoreboard suggests it might have helped. Don't get me wrong, I still doubt that Calipari knows how to spell X or O on a dry erase board, but if Calipari can find a way to convince this team to run through a wall for him... 🏀

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueaz
I'm tired of his motivational speeches. Define the technical gameplan (and adjust if necessary), and be specific on what they need to do to execute on it. Motivate them in this context--not just rah rah......you can do it! I believe!

Looks like Cal needs to let the players back on the bandwagon, because he threw them under it after the losses.

I'm here. I haven't been reading much since this last loss. I get depressed with the whole thing when it goes from bad to worse. At this point the team needs to win out. I don't see that happening. I'd say it's more likely this team will finish imploding than they will turn it around. I hate when UK sucks because it ruins my favorite sporting event of the year- the NCAA-T. I love March Madness but when the Cats are terrible I don't want to watch any basketball at all.

His comment shows he just doesn't get it... or worse, how his used car salesman persona is confusing the point to deflect.
There isn't one UK bandwagon fan here. Most have been on and invested in that wagon long before CCC arrived.
More and more we have fallen off the CCC wagon, which is entirely different.

I'm here. I haven't been reading much since this last loss. I get depressed with the whole thing when it goes from bad to worse. At this point the team needs to win out. I don't see that happening. I'd say it's more likely this team will finish imploding than they will turn it around. I hate when UK sucks because it ruins my favorite sporting event of the year- the NCAA-T. I love March Madness but when the Cats are terrible I don't want to watch any basketball at all.

I'm wit ya....😡

People point to 2015 as the change for Cal and UK

I think it was the year earlier, because 2014 cemented the Calipari "system" in fans eyes. Heck, there are some fans who still buy into it.

The idea that a Cal team can play below expectations a good part of the year and at some point near the end of February or early March, the win or go home mentality kicks in. Even now, as I type this, there are fans holding out hope that this team will suddenly develop an identity they haven't shown for the past 4 months and that will carry them for the final 2 weeks of the year

After 2014 no regular season goals mattered - you could be hit or miss the entire season and Cal would sprinkle some magic basketball dust for the tournament and UK would go on a tear.

There is a formula for success in March. The formula is pretty simple - Go into March as a 1 or 2 seed with less than 6 losses, Win some big games in the OOC , don't lose at home and at a minimum come in second in the SEC regular season and the tournament.

That's the standard for Kentucky basketball. We might not hit it every year, but that hasn't been a goal of UK with Cal since 2014, probably not before that. He came in with his gold standard BS, and when 2014 happened he could sell the UK fanbase a huge load of horsesh** and we'd happily take it

If we learn anything from Cal, its that we should never ever demand less than the formula for success that has made UK dominant - and anyone who tries to prop up any future coach with the idea that December losses don't matter should be reminded daily of what we've lived thru as fans for the last 5 years.

And any coach that comes in here and talks down to the fans for expecting it should be run out of town immediately.

I think it was the year earlier, because 2014 cemented the Calipari "system" in fans eyes. Heck, there are some fans who still buy into it.

The idea that a Cal team can play below expectations a good part of the year and at some point near the end of February or early March, the win or go home mentality kicks in. Even now, as I type this, there are fans holding out hope that this team will suddenly develop an identity they haven't shown for the past 4 months and that will carry them for the final 2 weeks of the year

After 2014 no regular season goals mattered - you could be hit or miss the entire season and Cal would sprinkle some magic basketball dust for the tournament and UK would go on a tear.

There is a formula for success in March. The formula is pretty simple - Go into March as a 1 or 2 seed with less than 6 losses, Win some big games in the OOC , don't lose at home and at a minimum come in second in the SEC regular season and the tournament.

That's the standard for Kentucky basketball. We might not hit it every year, but that hasn't been a goal of UK with Cal since 2014, probably not before that. He came in with his gold standard BS, and when 2014 happened he could sell the UK fanbase a huge load of horsesh** and we'd happily take it

If we learn anything from Cal, its that we should never ever demand less than the formula for success that has made UK dominant - and anyone who tries to prop up any future coach with the idea that December losses don't matter should be reminded daily of what we've lived thru as fans for the last 5 years.

And any coach that comes in here and talks down to the fans for expecting it should be run out of town immediately.
Excellent point.

Winner, winner; chicken dinner. Post of the day

ADVERTISEMENT