ADVERTISEMENT

Cal's post game quote about believing in this team

Blueaz

All-American
Gold Member
Jul 7, 2009
Phoenix
“I told them at halftime, ‘Dudes were winning this. Make a shot or two and watch what happens.’ And then we started with the post-up to Oscar [Tshiebwe], just kept it, and then all of a sudden we went from down eight to up two and we kept fighting and we made free throws.
But I asked them after, ‘When are you gonna believe me, how good we can be? Why am I — You should believe more than I believe!'”
I still, I’m telling you, I believe in this team. I know some people jumped off the bandwagon. I know. When you jump back on, you gotta jump in the very back and hold on to the rail. But this team can do this if they choose to do it.”

Was more irritated with the comment the team can do it if they choose to do it
How about putting the team in position to succeed first (like correct line ups, substitutions, preparation, game plans) and then coaching them..

“I told them at halftime, ‘Dudes were winning this. Make a shot or two and watch what happens.’ And then we started with the post-up to Oscar [Tshiebwe], just kept it, and then all of a sudden we went from down eight to up two and we kept fighting and we made free throws.
But I asked them after, ‘When are you gonna believe me, how good we can be? Why am I — You should believe more than I believe!'”
I still, I’m telling you, I believe in this team. I know some people jumped off the bandwagon. I know. When you jump back on, you gotta jump in the very back and hold on to the rail. But this team can do this if they choose to do it.”
Not many BBN fan are going to jump on a bandwagon hauling crap.....and believe me 12-6 and unranked is crap for UK. Have we fallen so far that we brag about a home win against an unranked team? Why not just say "snake oil for sale CHEAP" ?

I'm happy about the last 2 games, as everyone is, but the 16 before that were absolute garbage. I enjoy watching good basketball FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON, not just half of it! If they continue playing the way they have these last two games and improve upon it, then we'll have something and the complainers (including myself at times) will go away. Cal is only just now starting to do what he should have been doing all along with this team.

For someone that says he blocks out all the noise and doesn't listen to the negative comments, he sure knows about a lot about all the noise and negative comments.
It's impossible not to hear it but maybe you have to pretend not to hear it. What I mean is I've never heard a coach in any sport publicly acknowledge that the fans want them fired.

I'm happy about the last 2 games, as everyone is, but the 16 before that were absolute garbage. I enjoy watching good basketball FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON, not just half of it! If they continue playing the way they have these last two games and improve upon it, then we'll have something and the complainers (including myself at times) will go away. Cal is only just now starting to do what he should have been doing all along with this team.

How have you managed to survive for 10 of the last 12 years then. Only twice have Cal’s teams come out blazing from the start and been great in January. The rest of them have taken time to develop and lost a lot in December and January. Most of us have enjoyed the journeys. I get why this year is different to us because of all the expectations surrounding a team full of veterans. But it sounds like Cal has been saying the problem is between their ears, not on the floor. These guys for some reason have not played with confidence, especially confidence in each other.

How have you managed to survive for 10 of the last 12 years then. Only twice have Cal’s teams come out blazing from the start and been great in January. The rest of them have taken time to develop and lost a lot in December and January. Most of us have enjoyed the journeys. I get why this year is different to us because of all the expectations surrounding a team full of veterans. But it sounds like Cal has been saying the problem is between their ears, not on the floor. These guys for some reason have not played with confidence, especially confidence in each other.

Yeah 2010 and 2012 and 2015 and 2017 and 2019 are really the only consistent teams he has had that didn't struggle early. Some got it together later like 2011 and 2014 while others never did in 2016 and 2018 and 2022.

Coaching at this level is a lot more than just repeating the words "Guys, you can do it..you're good enough, trust me! You can do it! Guys, you can do it!".

He may as well stay home petting his dogs and just post this in the locker room:

im-good-enough-im-smart-enough.gif

Yeah 2010 and 2012 and 2015 and 2017 and 2019 are really the only consistent teams he has had that didn't struggle early. Some got it together later like 2011 and 2014 while others never did in 2016 and 2018 and 2022.

2019 struggled early. They got obliterated by Duke and then lost to a very mediocre Seton Hall.

2010 struggled early too but it was hidden by the schedule. The top 10 uconn and unc teams we squeaked by ended up not making the tournament. Needed overtime and a borderline miracle to beat a bad stanford team and needed a John Wall buzzer beater to beat…was it Miami Ohio?

So really the only teams that came out strong at the start were 2012, 2015 and 2017.

I will paraphrase what I stated in the other thread. Generalizations are the essence of prejudice. It can come back on you as well.

Cal's coaching may be bandwagon coaching. He seems to need the likes of AD's, TJ's, MKG's, and the ilk to coach winning basketball...
Problem is, there’s probably 200 coaches out there that could coach winning ball with those players. But it’s been said we will be IU if we run Cal off. And, those type players can be recruited here with any of them. Blindsided bunch.

Problem is, there’s probably 200 coaches out there that could coach winning ball with those players. But it’s been said we will be IU if we run Cal off. And, those type players can be recruited here with any of them. Blindsided bunch.

No questioning the players Cal brings in but DARN, Cal has done less with more, than any coach I can remember... I have a Cal player bobblehead on my mantle right next to John... Just wishing Cal would have been mediocre with his coaching...

No questioning the players Cal brings in but DARN, Cal has done less with more, than any coach I can remember... I have a Cal player bobblehead on my mantle right next to John... Just wishing Cal would have been mediocre with his coaching...
Maybe worded it wrong. I’m in agreement. Numerous coaches could have won with those players. Those players probably come to UK regardless of the coach. If not, so be it. What I’m saying, a good coach at UK wins, and players will come. It’s outdated, yeah. Old people still need shit to have, and young people still need to earn shit. Middle aged shovel shit, both ways. I’ve shoveled enough.

Reactions: The-Hack and BBUK
How about putting the team in position to succeed first (like correct line ups, substitutions, preparation, game plans) and then coaching them..
That’s the thing. People saying the bandwagon thing was out of context. No it wasn’t. We just know Cal. That was yet another shot at the fans.

I didn’t really like it when he was kicking butt. I really don’t care for it when we’re trying to find our footing.

I absolutely hope and pray we rattle off an amazing end to the season. Just color me gunshy for being hesitant.

That’s the thing. People saying the bandwagon thing was out of context. No it wasn’t. We just know Cal. That was yet another shot at the fans.

I didn’t really like it when he was kicking butt. I really don’t care for it when we’re trying to find our footing.

I absolutely hope and pray we rattle off an amazing end to the season. Just color me gunshy for being hesitant.
And if we were to miss the tournament or go out the first weekend…..people are going to bring this statement back up and rub Cals nose in it . He just created more drama for everyone. But honestly, I think he lives for drama.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Actually thinking of writing a song to this.

And if we were to miss the tournament or go out the first weekend…..people are going to bring this statement back up and rub Cals nose in it . He just created more drama for everyone. But honestly, I think he lives for drama.
I mean. Just ugh. Sets himself up for failure and more pressure if he can’t produce.

He had a beautiful chance there to something like

“Hey I know it’s been a rough start and I’ve made some crazy decisions you may not like or agree with. And I know some have been really disheartened and unhappy lately. Just want to say hang in there with us. And thanks for caring so deeply about the program. Even if you’re hanging out the back door barely hanging on we still need you. And I promise we’re going to do our best to keep this going.”

Nah. He wins two good games, with admittedly solid coaching, and he feels a need to take a potshot. Sigh.

I don’t know anyone that jumped off the ”UK WAGON “ but I know plenty of people that have jumped off the “John Calipari WAGON” . Statements like that just makes it more likely they will never “jump back on “.
I was never on any “bandwagon” anyway
Bandwagon implies you only cheer for the team
Winning at the time and then you become a fan for the next team
Grew up at least nominally a UK fan (my parents were fans). Remember the bigger games of the 70s..wins and losses
There’s a picture somewhere of just turned 13 year old me standing on a chair between Melvin Turpin and Sam Bowie..at a GodFathers in Lexington.
I really started paying attention in about 86 or so…and that’s because I was in downtown Louisville with a friend when Louisville won the 86 title. Good Lord their fans were obnoxious and apparently didn’t like that I was wearing purple
So I started watching and listening to Kentucky ..stuck with them since through everything, learned a lot of history too
so no, not a bandwagon fan at all

Grew up at least nominally a UK fan (my parents were fans). Remember the bigger games of the 70s..wins and losses
There’s a picture somewhere of just turned 13 year old me standing on a chair between Melvin Turpin and Sam Bowie..at a GodFathers in Lexington.
I really started paying attention in about 86 or so…and that’s because I was in downtown Louisville with a friend when Louisville won the 86 title. Good Lord their fans were obnoxious and apparently didn’t like that I was wearing purple
So I started watching and listening to Kentucky ..stuck with them since through everything, learned a lot of history too
Tune in to this thread tomorrow at this time. You’ll get a chuckle ,or not.

Amen.

Reactions: BBUK
I confess to amazement/depression over how gurgling often people have to repeat the same gurgling points. I don't keep track of poster IDs so maybe these aren't the same people saying the same thing over and over again. That's my prayer. Please, may it only seem like the same people saying the same things over and over again.

Reactions: federalcat
I believe in this team if the coach keeps Wheeler planted on the bench. Like all us Bennie's have said for months.
And I mean planted on the bench. Thiero should be the one giving Wallace a blow.
Wheeler only in if the Cats have foul trouble from the guards. Or if they should happen to blow a team out.

Reactions: UK till Death
Since I’m not a bandwagon fan, I’m riding first class. Free wifi and peanuts. It’s awesome

I don’t get the bandwagon comment. the fact is he finally played the lineup hundreds of us were begging him to. Not sure why he gets 8 million plus when the fans finally convinced him to play Wallace at point, spread the offense a bit with Frederick ,Livingston and or Reaves on the wings . It was so obvious to any of us who gave played the game .

It looks like to me he’s the one who finally got on the bandwagon because the fans got tired of him not playing the best lineup to give us a chance to win.
Not bandwagon fans. Bandwagon coach.

This.

I became a fan and a huge fan in Pitino’s 14-14 season and I have never voluntarily missed going, watching, or listening to a game and rooting for us to win it ever since, regardless of how up or down we ever were. Even during the **** that’s been served up lately. Someone who was at Massachusetts at that time, didn’t get here until 20 years later, broke our 3-pointer-a-game streak, served up our worst season in 90 years and our worst tournament loss ever and wants to call me a bandwagon fan because I’ve been critical of him treating fundamental college basketball like it bent over to get the soap in a prison shower can kiss my sweet little ass.

Don't really understand the criticism of this quote. What is a coach supposed to say to his team losing at half time at home to his team. " I think you guys suck but go out in the second d half and beat em anyway". Also he wouldn't be the first coach to try and create an us against the world narrative to motivate his players. There is plenty of issues to criticize him for, this one is just lame.

I don’t get the bandwagon comment. the fact is he finally played the lineup hundreds of us were begging him to. Not sure why he gets 8 million plus when the fans finally convinced him to play Wallace at point, spread the offense a bit with Frederick ,Livingston and or Reaves on the wings . It was so obvious to any of us who gave played the game .

It looks like to me he’s the one who finally got on the bandwagon because the fans got tired of him not playing the best lineup to give us a chance to win.
Not bandwagon fans. Bandwagon coach.
I'm not criticizing Lou with this post, but I'm curious if people really think he played this lineup now because fans were begging him to. His coaching since he has been here has been stubborn, but overall successful. He is willing to accept losses in order to get his team to play the way he thinks will be successful in March. Some of his teams never bought in to what he was selling, but he generally approaches a season like Norman Dale. I will break you down and make you play my way, and if you buy in we will eventually be good. By and large it has led to tournament success, just not so much lately. I do think his bad teams were full of players that refused to buy in to the team first approach. As a fan that wants to win every game, it is frustrating, but I while I've been as frustrated as anyone as a fan, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and trust that if the players all eventually buy in, we have a shot come March. The locker room scene at UT tells me that they are starting to buy in and that he has not lost the locker room like he has in years past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT