ADVERTISEMENT

Cal's philosophy on defense is not longer in vogue

you still can’t win 6 games in the tournament without a stifling defense.
Sure you can. UNCheat has done it recently. They’re always soft on defense. Villanova won with offense primarily. Don’t get me wrong. You can’t be a terrible or even bad defensive team and win it all, but in today’s game you have to be able to shoot from the perimeter and score in general. The year Virginia was the overall # 1 seed they were a great defensive team. All it got them was a beatdown by a 16 seed. They came back the next year and won it all because they were much better offensively. Great defense obviously makes it easier, but you‘ve got to be able to score. Our constant scoring droughts have gotten us beat in our last few tournaments with the exception of 2017 when we were a very good offensive team.

Last edited:
We routinely get badly outscored from the perimeter even in SEC games.
Not sure this year is a good one for comparison. And I don’t think perimeter scoring is used to determine the game outcome. That would be total score. Through our history, Kentucky tends to do pretty well.

Sure you can. UNCheat has done it recently. They’re always soft on defense. Villanova won with offense primarily. Don’t get me wrong. You can’t be a terrible or even bad defensive team and win it all, but in today’s game you have to be able to shoot from the perimeter and score in general. The year Virginia was the overall # 1 seed they were a great defensive team. All it got them was a beatdown by a 16 seed. They came back the next year and won it all because they were much better offensively. Great defense obviously makes it easier, but you‘ve got to be able to score. Our constant scoring droughts have gotten us beat in our last few tournaments with the exception of 2017 when we were a very good offensive team.
You support your position with anecdotal references. Why leave out the Auburns of the world which get by on circus shots. Bottom line, if you don’t bring an exceptional defense, your ass is going home early.

Not sure this year is a good one for comparison. And I don’t think perimeter scoring is used to determine the game outcome. That would be total score. Through our history, Kentucky tends to do pretty well.
When you continuously get outscored from the perimeter, it also puts pressure on your offense to either score in or around the paint or from the free throw line. Sometimes we do well, other times not so much. The bottom line is the game has changed and we haven’t changed with it like we should. That point cannot be refuted. As a result, we’re often too easy to game plan for and defend. We’re very vanilla, which works when you have the talent we had on our teams with the likes of AD and company, KAT and company, Cousins and company. We haven’t been able to just bully and out talent teams the past few years, with the exception of 2017 when we had a really good offense.

You support your position with anecdotal references. Why leave out the Auburns of the world which get by on circus shots. Bottom line, if you don’t bring an exceptional defense, your ass is going home early.
Because Auburn isn’t very good this year. Try Gonzaga or Michigan. Great offenses and good defenses.

I like the OP. That said, all the BS talk these days about the post /big man basketball and defense doesn’t matter is just absolutely off the wall stupidity. Scoring matters and keeping the other team from scoring matters. I mean....damn. I was thinking about this very issue this morning. Why do fans think defense and post play don’t matter? All I could come up with is a bunch of short, non-athletic types living vicariously through the idea that they would have had a chance if basketball were anti-big men and don’t worry about defense way back when......good grief.

It all matters....scoring efficiency and preventing other teams from scoring efficiently matters to the game. It matters as much today as it did yesterday as it did 10 years ago as it did 20 years ago. Teams that win championships generally average in the 80’s scoring and have strong defensive numbers.

I seriously can’t believe fans believe this crap. No coach, at least not a high level, good coach believes that nonsense. Throw it up and hope you get the tip when playing another really efficient offensive team. If you don’t get the tip, you will probably lose. 😂

And anecdotal? LOL. No, I simply used what I like to call facts.

I like the OP. That said, all the BS talk these days about the post /big man basketball and defense doesn’t matter is just absolutely off the wall stupidity. Scoring matters and keeping the other team from scoring matters. I mean....damn. I was thinking about this very issue this morning. Why do fans think defense and post play don’t matter? All I could come up with is a bunch of short, non-athletic types living vicariously through the idea that they would have had a chance if basketball were anti-big men and don’t worry about defense way back when......good grief.

It all matters....scoring efficiency and preventing other teams from scoring efficiently matters to the game. It matters as much today as it did yesterday as it did 10 years ago as it did 20 years ago. Teams that win championships generally average in the 80’s scoring and have strong defensive numbers.

I seriously can’t believe fans believe this crap. No coach, at least not a high level, good coach believes that nonsense.
Of course it matters. Everyone knows that. I think the point is that it’s not as immensely important as in the past. The game has changed. It’s more about speed, quickness, and shooting. How many Ewings, Olajuwans, Jabbars, Malones, Shaqs, etc. do you see in college or the NBA today? Damned near none. Even the big guys are mobile and can shoot. No one that pays attention can deny it unless they’re just watching tapes of games from 2-3 decades ago.

Reactions: rolaid
Of course it matters. Everyone knows that. I think the point is that it’s not as immensely important as in the past. The game has changed. It’s more about speed, quickness, and shooting. How many Ewings, Olajuwans, Jabbars, Malones, Shaqs, etc. do you see in college or the NBA today? Damned near none. Even the big guys are mobile and can shoot. No one that pays attention can deny it unless they’re just watching tapes of games from 2-3 decades ago.

Speed, quickness and shooting have always mattered. Always......none of that is new. All of those are attributes of top level athletes. Those attributes matter in every sport and even more so at a high level like D1.

I see it as a sort of wish list for fans right now, Kentucky fans especially, in a year when we absolutely stink. Fans want scoring because it’s sexy and exciting. Coaches want guys that lock down and shut down the offensive beast on the other team. Ask any high level coach one-on-one if he/she doesn’t think defense plays as much of a role in the game as it ever has and they will tell you of course. That’s if they actually answer and don’t look at you like you have two heads. And yes, they will tell you scoring matters too.

It is sometimes very good. It also gets shredded at times. Like this past Saturday.

You mean something isn't perfect? Good luck finding something that is.

Florida scored 71 points. That isn't anything egregious. If we avoided our long scoring drought, we win handily.

Complaining about our overall defense is just complaining to be complaining

Speed, quickness and shooting have always mattered. Always......none of that is new. All of those are attributes of top level athletes. Those attributes matter in every sport and even more so at a high level like D1.

I see it as a sort of wish list for fans right now, Kentucky fans especially, in a year when we absolutely stink. Fans want scoring because it’s sexy and exciting. Coaches want guys that lock down and shut down the offensive beast on the other team. Ask any high level coach one-on-one if he/she doesn’t think defense plays as much of a role in the game as it ever has and they will tell you of course. That’s if they actually answer and don’t look at you like you have two heads. And yes, they will tell you scoring matters too.
Again, you’re missing my point. Of course defense matters. The point is the offensive game has changed considerably so defenses have to change as well. It’s no longer a low post game like it was. It’s just a fact.

You mean something isn't perfect? Good luck finding something that is.

Florida scored 71 points. That isn't anything egregious. If we avoided our long scoring drought, we win handily.

Complaining about our overall defense is just complaining to be complaining
Florida scored way too easily in the paint. We got caught out of position over and over. Dunks and layups. And you certainly won’t get an argument from me about our offense. It’s been horrendous. It certainly is more at fault than our defense. I’m just saying we’re not a defensive juggernaut either.

Again, you’re missing my point. Of course defense matters. The point is the offensive game has changed considerably so defenses have to change as well. It’s no longer a low post game like it was. It’s just a fact.

Ok...I will give you that but what has changed about defense?

Ok...I will give you that but what has changed about defense?
Common sense. If the offensive game has changed, defenses have to somewhat change to offset it. Theres more emphasis on guarding the perimeter and stopping dribble penetration than doubling the post.

I know you are not talking specifically about yesterday but UK played solid D especially in the 2nd half and Florida just made some remarkable shots.

Maybe this is why Kenpom has UK rated 346 out of 357 teams in the luck department.

Teams typically play out of their minds when they see Kentucky across these kids jerseys.

Wish some of our kids got as excited about the Uk jersey.

Reactions: BourbonBalz
I know you are not talking specifically about yesterday but UK played solid D especially in the 2nd half and Florida just made some remarkable shots.

Maybe this is why Kenpom has UK rated 346 out of 357 teams in the luck department.

Teams typically play out of their minds when they see Kentucky across these kids jerseys.
There’s no such thing as luck. It doesn’t exist. People use the phrase in many instances to circumvent outcomes. Our “bad luck” is nothing more than our lack of execution and/or lack of ability. Balls bounce a certain way not due to some unseen force causing it, but due to the trajectory of a shot, a pass, or a tip. Things do not happen just because. There’s always an underlying reason. Saying you’re unlucky is an excuse for poor preparation, poor execution, and poor ability.

Last edited:
Because Auburn isn’t very good this year. Try Gonzaga or Michigan. Great offenses and good defenses.

Who was talking about Auburn this year? They rode the circus shot to the final four one year. Defense kicked their pretender ass. College basketball is about the paint. That is where the percentages are found.

There’s no such thing as luck. It doesn’t exist. People use the phrase in many instances to circumvent outcomes. Our “bad luck” is nothing more than our lack of execution and/or lack of ability. Balls bounce a certain way not due to some unseen for causing it, but due to the trajectory of a shot, a pass, or a tip. Things do not happen just because. There’s always an underlying reason. Saying you’re unlucky is an excuse for poor preparation, poor execution, and poor ability.

Failed a intro to probability and statistics I see.

• Haha
Failed a intro to probability and statistics I see.
Actually I got an A in the 200, 300, and grad level stats classes, but thanks for the interest. Luck is pure superstition, but since you majored in Asshole Studies, I wouldn’t expect you to know.

Who was talking about Auburn this year? They rode the circus shot to the final four one year. Defense kicked their pretender ass. College basketball is about the paint. That is where the percentages are found.
You are just, well, not smart.

Last edited:
Kicked their ass? What’s it like in your world. They were a bad call from the title game.

Interesting as your answer suggests you had to google the terms.
You are literally the dumbest individual on this board and that’s saying something. You probably wouldn’t know a college course if it bit you in the ass. Go back to sleep where you’re something important in your dream world. Everyone on this board constantly laughs at you.

You are literally the dumbest individual on this board and that’s saying something. You probably wouldn’t know a college course if it bit you in the ass. Go back to sleep where you’re something important in your dream world. Everyone on this board constantly laughs at you.

Dude you just got punked worse than anybody in the history of the board. You did it to yourself. Worst case of Gomer I ever saw.

• Haha
Dude you just got punked worse than anybody in the history of the board. You did it to yourself. Worst case of Gomer I ever saw.
Whatever you say Scooter. Is it sunny today in your world? Mom gonna let you play outside?

Last edited:
In my world, there is winning and getting your ass kicked. No participation trophies like you are used to.

So hypothetically, a triple overtime loss in a buzzer beater is getting one’s ass kicked? It is a loss for sure and a hard one at that but that is not equal to a 30 point drubbing.

one says you were highly competitive and the other says you barely showed up or were outclassed.

not saying losing is okay but just don’t understand the all or nothing view of life. Most situations are a mixed bag. Gain in one area and lose in another...eh don’t really care about this never mind.

So hypothetically, a triple overtime loss in a buzzer beater is getting one’s ass kicked? It is a loss for sure and a hard one at that but that is not equal to a 30 point drubbing.

one says you were highly competitive and the other says you barely showed up or were outclassed.

not saying losing is okay but just don’t understand the all or nothing view of life. Most situations are a mixed bag. Gain in one area and lose in another...eh don’t really care about this never mind.
Don’t bother. He’s as dumb as a fence post. He’s also either a troll or a mental patient. He’s the laughing stock of this board, but has the delusional idea that he contributes intelligently. It’s truly a sad, sad situation.

This is not pertaining to the OP’s original point, but it does have to do with Cal’s “defensive philosophy” of switching every screen. Smart coaches/teams just keep ball screening til they get the matchup they want. It cost us the Wisconsin game (at least a major factor, among other things). I don’t think he will ever win another championship with this strategy.

I went back and watched some of the 2012 championship game to see if Cal has always done this. From what I saw, we did not. Maybe someone else can correct me...but if not, that begs the question: When did Cal adopt this philosophy?
Not totally , watch the sec tourney final game and watch how Vandy keeps screening till they got AD away from the basket. Cal has used this since 2012, it worked mostly because AD stayed close to the rim. ND almost beat us in the elite eight in 2015 using the same method. Wisky used it and sent us home. Cal has yet to learn from his mistakes.

I seriously can’t believe fans believe this crap. No coach, at least not a high level, good coach believes that nonsense. Throw it up and hope you get the tip when playing another really efficient offensive team. If you don’t get the tip, you will probably lose. 😂
It has changed. The NBA has found ways to expose the "old type" back to the basket big. They mostly expose them defensively by getting them in situations that they can't defend in.. The whole game is about spacing and that is partly what kills UK offensively. We are one of the few teams left in CBB that plays multiple kids that can't shoot the three point shot. Length is negated when the other team can pull your bigs away from the basket. The days of laying in the paint and altering shots are about over .

Once again as I said defense is important and can make a difference in college on the interior. But, if you watch good outside shooting teams there is practically no defense that can stop it so you have to be able to match shooting and then have the superior inside. Offense will beat defense in college otherwise.
Best example Georgetown 85

maybe best defensive team ever but got beat by 80+% shooting in the second half by Nova

ADVERTISEMENT