ADVERTISEMENT

Cal's offensive premise and 3 point shooting

I have said this many times, I love Cal, but he is too stubborn. He wants players to adapt to his offense and defense and not the other way around.

If he changes the 2013 team to a zone team and run the ball through Wiltjer after Noel went down, then we dang sure don't miss the tournament. Everyone saw what Wiltjer did in the U19 championships and at Gonzaga.

He has had the same basic offense with a few tweaks here and there since he got here. Good coaches have him figured out and our losses show up late in the season against them.

Could you imagine if this team played like Arkansas? We would have averaged close to 90 a game and blew everyone out. Or even if we played like a...get read y for it... Pitino team? Think 96 all over again.

Originally posted by Aike:
You could do that. Sit Dakari and Lee and let WCS, Towns, and Lyles get 26 minutes per night. Good luck recruiting any talented depth though.

Dakari is most likely a second round pick and a sophomore. Guys like that won't come to sit the bench. We rolled the dice like that a couple of times and people (rightly, imo) complained about depth. Hard to have it both ways.

You are once again going back to that KAT/Lyles combo, which I agree is a nice offensive unit. But for my money, KAT is not nearly the defender without WCS beside him. Not to mention, KAT struggle with foul trouble consistently. To keep that lineup on the floor, KAT would have to play like Okafor and avoid fouls.

Which brings us back to defense. IMO, you go completely off the rails with comments like this: "A different, updated style would undoubtedly won us the title..with relative ease."

Oh really? And Cal is so dumb, stubborn, stuck in the mud that he couldn't see that...but you can? Message board messiah that you are. If only Cal could get with the times, we could have won with relative ease. This is simply idiotic. Championships are hard to win.

Play the way you want to play, and the team would not have been as good defensively. Teams with big, strong guards routinely attacked Ulis. Booker struggled on D. Towns fouled too much.

I am completely comfortable with you being willing to accept the tradeoff. Maybe more offense/less D would have turned out fine.

But when you make statements about the ease with which we would have won the title had Cal only done things your way, it makes it impossible to take you seriously.
- You serious? forget worrying about future depth. There was a championship to be won, you worry about player feelings later.

- KAT at the 5 wouldn't be full-time. He'd just rotate there during stretches of the game. It'll bring a nice new offensive look if used right.

- Nobody is calling Cal dumb. Relax. But he was stubborn with the way he ran things, that cannot be denied. Titles are tough, but we had all the ingredients to run away with this thing. Too bad it wasn't used correctly.

-I have no clue why you assume me saying winning it with ease loses my some credibility, when we were 38-0 with big chunks of blowouts playing this old-timer basketball style.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT