ADVERTISEMENT

Cal's ego

FirewithFire

Junior
Jan 16, 2021
I didn't want to hijack the thread about how a poster here hoped Cal's ego would save our beleaguered program so I started my own to say the following.

The only thing that hurts Cal's ego is if he doesn't get his players drafted high enough, or at all.

Consider the following from 2014:

The 40-year old model of the program (Kentucky) -- it's about the program, it's about the system, no names on the back of the jerseys -- we've flipped it. Now it's about the player. It's about his development.

The coaches who want to take kids and then in one year they go pro -- hey, have at it. I got no problem with that because I think it's good for the kids.

This program is going to be fine. This program hasn't suffered one bit with what I've tried to do here and the way I've tried to do it. Not one bit.

In 2015 Cal said this after he received a humanitarian award and then gave a 15-minute speech at Rupp Arena where he said,

"LAST YEAR WE STARTED THE SEASON WITH A GOAL. YOU MAY THINK IT WAS TO WIN A NATIONAL TITLE OR WIN ALL THE GAMES, [BUT] IT WAS TO GET EIGHT PLAYERS DRAFTED. WELL, HOW CAN YOU BE ABOUT YOUR TEAM IF YOU’RE WORRIED ABOUT GETTING PLAYERS DRAFTED? WE KIND OF WORK IT THE OTHER WAY. WHAT ARE YOUR DREAMS? WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR? WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO GET OUT OF LIFE? HOW CAN WE HELP YOU WITH THAT?
“FOR ME, THE MISSION FOR ME IS TO BE A VEHICLE TO HELP OTHERS REACH THEIR DREAMS, TO BE THE STONE THAT CREATES THE RIPPLE IN THEIR LIVES THAT GOES ON AND ON AND ON. NOW IN OUR STATE, THEY WANT MY MISSION TO BE, ‘WIN NATIONAL TITLES, WIN NATIONAL TITLES.’ MY MISSION IS BIGGER THAN THAT."

If you think for one second that Cal's ego revolves around wins at Kentucky, for the people of the state or the University, then you need a serious reality check. He only cares that wins produce a higher draft status for his players. That is something he said some time not long ago. After 2015 that desire kicked into overdrive.

Also consider this from De'aaron Fox just recently:

“Cal couldn't give a damn about winning college basketball games."

Also this just after being cheated out of a win vs North Carolina in 2017:

“You’re done, you’re not coming back. If you need us, you have our numbers, we’ll help you with whatever, but you’re not playing another college basketball game.”

Looking at Malik Monk's current career, do you think he might have benefited from another year of growth at Kentucky? I wonder what he would say if asked right now.

If you think next year is going to be better then, please, present me a case where things are better player wise or philosophy wise.

Imo, Boston, Jackson, Sarr, Mintz, and Clark are all gone. Brooks and Toppin could both leave as well. Then you have the ever present list of players who can't wait to get the hell out of Lexington. This years list includes Fletcher and Allen. I have to wonder about Ware as well. How do you think he will like being recruited over.?

Who is going to replace this group, another outstanding grad transfer, a great shooter? lol. Please, if a transfer was good enough to play at Kentucky then they would have been here to begin with or they would be on their way to the pros. Oh, I know, maybe a stud freshman. Make sure and let me know when that happens.

How about our offense, or for that matter defense? The more I watch this shit show the more I respect Tubby Smith. Tubby ball sucked, but at least he had a damn offense and you didn't see players get blown by every play on defense. Is Cal's stall ball that much different really? Here's some stats about the last five years from both coaches:

Tubby
131-40 record
2 Elite Eights
2 Outright SEC Titles
9-5 NCAA Tournament Record
2 SEC Tournament Titles

Cal
140-39 record
2 Elite Eights
2 Outright SEC Titles (3 Overall)
9-4 NCAA Tournament Record
2 SEC Tournament Titles

Huh. At this point Cal reminds me of a tired Tubby Smith. Just look at the guy. He has totally let himself go. He just looks tired as hell. I think he knows his time is short. By the way, how many trips did Tubby make to the NIT while at Kentucky? Just wondering.

It's time to face fact people. Cal doesn't give a single shit about you as a Kentuckian, the long tradition of Kentucky basketball, or anything that doesn't equate to him being idolized by the minority community as a paragon of social justice warfare. I would go so far as to say that he thinks Kentuckians are just an ignorant group of hillbillies that need to be educated upon the finer points of progressivism. For those of you who scoff, trust me, it is a constant theme among our brethren from the northern part of the country, and more than a few here at home.

Cal will never change at this point without drastic measures. The older he gets the worse this whole situation will get. In Cal's eyes he is doing God's work here and his time is short. That is what drives his ego, not wins, nor public opinion. Mitch isn't coming to save us either. What makes you think he isn't in lock step with Cal on this? Show me one thing that points to anything other than that.

At this point what choice do any of us have but to give Call one more year to see what happens. Let's us just all hope and pray that Cal sees the light and flips the program back into the right direction. I won't hold my breath, and with concern for your health I would suggest you don't either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't want to hijack the thread about how a poster here hoped Cal's ego would save our beleaguered program so I started my own to say the following.

The only thing that hurts Cal's ego is if he doesn't get his players drafted high enough, or at all.

The 40-year old model of the program (Kentucky) -- it's about the program, it's about the system, no names on the back of the jerseys -- we've flipped it. Now it's about the player. It's about his development.

The coaches who want to take kids and then in one year they go pro -- hey, have at it. I got no problem with that because I think it's good for the kids.

This program is going to be fine. This program hasn't suffered one bit with what I've tried to do here and the way I've tried to do it. Not one bit.

In 2015 Cal said this after he received a humanitarian award and then gave a 15-minute speech at Rupp Arena where he said,

"LAST YEAR WE STARTED THE SEASON WITH A GOAL. YOU MAY THINK IT WAS TO WIN A NATIONAL TITLE OR WIN ALL THE GAMES, [BUT] IT WAS TO GET EIGHT PLAYERS DRAFTED. WELL, HOW CAN YOU BE ABOUT YOUR TEAM IF YOU’RE WORRIED ABOUT GETTING PLAYERS DRAFTED? WE KIND OF WORK IT THE OTHER WAY. WHAT ARE YOUR DREAMS? WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR? WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO GET OUT OF LIFE? HOW CAN WE HELP YOU WITH THAT?
“FOR ME, THE MISSION FOR ME IS TO BE A VEHICLE TO HELP OTHERS REACH THEIR DREAMS, TO BE THE STONE THAT CREATES THE RIPPLE IN THEIR LIVES THAT GOES ON AND ON AND ON. NOW IN OUR STATE, THEY WANT MY MISSION TO BE, ‘WIN NATIONAL TITLES, WIN NATIONAL TITLES.’ MY MISSION IS BIGGER THAN THAT."

If you think for one second that Cal's ego revolves around wins at Kentucky, for the people of the state or the University, then you need a serious reality check. He only cares that wins produce a higher draft status for his players. That is something he said some time not long ago. After 2015 that desire kicked into overdrive.

“You’re done, you’re not coming back. If you need us, you have our numbers, we’ll help you with whatever, but you’re not playing another college basketball game.”

Looking at Malik Monk's current career, do you think he might have benefited from another year of growth at Kentucky? I wonder what he would say if asked right now.

If you think next year is going to be better then, please, present me a case where things are better player wise or philosophy wise.

Imo, Boston, Jackson, Sarr, Mintz, and Clark are all gone. Brooks and Toppin could both leave as well. Then you have the ever present list of players who can't wait to get the hell out of Lexington. This years list includes Fletcher and Allen. I have to wonder about Ware as well. How do you think he will like being recruited over.?

Who is going to replace this group, another outstanding grad transfer, a great shooter? lol. Please, if a transfer was good enough to play at Kentucky then they would have been here to begin with or they would be on their way to the pros. Oh, I know, maybe a stud freshman. Make sure and let me know when that happens.

How about our offense, or for that matter defense? The more I watch this shit show the more I respect Tubby Smith. Tubby ball sucked, but at least he had a damn offense and you didn't see players get blown by every play on defense. Is Cal's stall ball that much different really? Here's some stats about the last five years from both coaches:

Tubby
131-40 record
2 Elite Eights
2 Outright SEC Titles
2 SEC Tournament Titles

Cal
140-39 record
2 Elite Eights
2 SEC Tournament Titles

Huh. At this point Cal reminds me of a tired Tubby Smith. Just look at the guy. He has totally let himself go. He just looks tired as hell. I think he knows his time is short. By the way, how many trips did Tubby make to the NIT while at Kentucky? Just wondering.

It's time to face fact people. Cal doesn't give a single shit about you as a Kentuckian, the long tradition of Kentucky basketball, or anything that doesn't equate to him being idolized by the minority community as a paragon of social justice warfare. I would go so far as to say that he thinks Kentuckians are just an ignorant group of hillbillies that need to be educated upon the finer points of progressivism. For those of you who scoff, trust me, it is a constant theme among our brethren from the northern part of the country, and more than a few here at home. The Trump years only reinforced the opinion.

Cal will never change at this point without drastic measures. The older he gets the worse this whole situation will get. In Cal's eyes he is doing God's work here and his time is short. That is what drives his ego, not wins, nor public opinion. Mitch isn't coming to save us either. What makes you think he isn't in lock step with Cal on this? Show me one thing that points to anything other than that.

At this point what choice do any of us have but to give Call one more year to see what happens. Let's us just all hope and pray that Cal sees the light and flips the program back into the right direction. I won't hold my breath, and with concern for your health I would suggest you don't either.
You conveniently left out Tubby’s teams went to zero ffs if you consider his lone FF was with Pitinos players.
Flubby also went 9 straight seasons without a FF.
Oh and Cal took UK to 4 FFs in 5 yrs something Rupp didnt even do.
Please dont compare these two ever again.

Cal making up excuses for losing to KEVIN OLLIE in the title game

People ask about that final game versus UConn. First off, we should have gotten beat by 20. We just were in awe of the moment for the first time of the year. The Michigan State game early in the year -- we weren't in awe of the moment -- we just weren't ready for the onslaught. But we came back and gave ourselves a chance to win. We should have lost that game by 20. We never got out of the awe of the moment. I think people will look at what that team was able to do -- five freshmen, your second-highest potential draft pick in Willie Cauley-Stein is not playing and now you're playing Marcus Lee -- another freshman. Dominique Hawkins, another freshman is playing, too, and you're in the final game? That's why after the game a couple of guys cried and I said, 'Stop the crying.' I did. I just said stop. I asked them, 'Do you know what you guys just did?' I just told them we didn't have it in the tank.

Reactions: FirewithFire
You conveniently left out Tubby’s teams went to zero ffs if you consider his lone FF was with Pitinos players.
Rupp won 3 titles in 4 years and had an undefeated team. Don’t ever mention Cal in a sentence with Coach Rupp.

Tubby
131-40 record
2 Elite Eights
2 Outright SEC Titles
2 SEC Tournament Titles

Cal
140-39 record
2 Elite Eights
2 SEC Tournament Titles

It's time to face fact people. Cal doesn't give a single shit about you as a Kentuckian, the long tradition of Kentucky basketball, or anything that doesn't equate to him being idolized by the minority community as a paragon of social justice warfare. I would go so far as to say that he thinks Kentuckians are just an ignorant group of hillbillies that need to be educated upon the finer points of progressivism. For those of you who scoff, trust me, it is a constant theme among our brethren from the northern part of the country, and more than a few here at home. The Trump years only reinforced the opinion.

This is one of the most honest and deserving posts that I have read on this board in a very long time. Sir, simply drop the mike (keyboard) and walk away. Bravo

Tubby
131-40 record
2 Elite Eights
2 Outright SEC Titles
2 SEC Tournament Titles

Cal
140-39 record
2 Elite Eights
2 SEC Tournament Titles

Idk where to begin lol
You are not so bright.
Much bigger than that means "not only"
Not letting a kid back is watching out for his best interest.
You're gonna cause yourself to have a stroke

• Haha
Reactions: BourbonBalz
This is one of the most honest and deserving posts that I have read on this board in a very long time. Sir, simply drop the mike (keyboard) and walk away. Bravo
You take every single thing you read out of context from how it was meant. That is how ky people get bad names. At some point uneducated people are what they are. You most certainly don't have to be from the hills to be a dumb***

You take every single thing you read out of context from how it was meant. That is how ky people get bad names. At some point uneducated people are what they are. You most certainly don't have to be from the hills to be a dumb***
You are the best example of your post.

Reactions: Ugoff
I really hate coming on here after a loss but win or lose, CAL is in a bad spot if he dislikes the hillbilly fans of Kentucky. He needs to coach in a blue state because he has already lost a lot of UK fans. Think about it, their are many now think Pitino is the answer. That’s on Cal.

Your hate for Tubby is noted and it is undeserved. This post wasn't a hey look how great Tubby was. I was ready for Tubby to leave as well, but unfortunately for us both, the facts are in the stats and they have been presented accurately.

You also covientatly overlook the the fact that Cal has created just as many bad records as good. Last night loss was our first loosing record in Rupp since 1929 or something. Those bad stats just keep going and going.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow

Tubby
131-40 record
2 Elite Eights
2 Outright SEC Titles
2 SEC Tournament Titles

Cal
140-39 record
2 Elite Eights
2 SEC Tournament Titles

👏👏👏👏 standing O Brother

70 years ago. Flat handed dribbling and chest pushing shots were a thing of beauty

By pointing this out you just torpedo your own, already weak, argument. Yes, Rupp used the prevalent strategies of the time to win games. See, he was smart enough, and cared enough, to adapt his game to the times.

When is Cal going to learn to do the same?

Your hate for Tubby is noted and it is undeserved. This post wasn't a hey look how great Tubby was. I was ready for Tubby to leave as well, but unfortunately for us both, the facts are in the stats and they have been presented accurately.

You also covientatly overlook the the fact that Cal has created just as many bad records as good. Last night loss was our first loosing record in Rupp since 1929 or something. Those bad stats just keep going and going.
The poster was simply trying to deflect from the real problem which is Cal.

By pointing this out you just torpedo your own, already weak, argument. Yes, Rupp used the prevalent strategies of the time to win games. See, he was smart enough, and cared enough, to adapt his game to the times.

Idc what cal does.
I just stated it was generations ago and might as well have been playing volleyball compared to today's game

To be fair the competition back then was next to nothing. Rupp capitalized on that

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie

I dont hate anyone let me get that thru to you for starters.
However, Tubby Smith was bad for UK basketball and drug the program down.
The man didn't recruit outside of 1 or 2 seasons and won his lone title with Pitino’s players.

He should have been gone after 5 years!

To be fair the competition back then was next to nothing. Rupp capitalized on that
No arguments there. Rupp was a good enough of a coach to realize what he needed to do in order to win. To WIN.

Your argument can be made for the state of basketball today. Even though there is great parity now, the game has become soft. Think back to the 80s and 90s. Basketball was rough as hell and the soft should never venture into the paint. Does that mean that Joe B. had a better title win than Cal's title, or Pitino's titles? I would say no. The important thing is that they won.

lol. Remember in 98 when Magloire tried to break Wojo in half? That would have earned him a permanent disqualification in today's game. Even Demarcus couldn't get away with that elbow drop on Swopshire's head these days.

The game changes. Adapt or die. Tubby didn't and he was shown the door.

It's time for Cal's reckoning.

If you are going to say Tubby's title didnt count due to Pitino recruiting his players then Cal's final fours dont count anymore since Payne recruited and coached those players. see how that works?

But Cal's title does because Payne wasn't here - correct?

Our problem is clearly a lack of consistent shooting. So recruit players who are scorers and outside shooters and things will turn around. Cal has never made that his number one priority

Our problem is clearly a lack of consistent shooting. So recruit players who are scorers and outside shooters and things will turn around. Cal has never made that his number one priority
PLAYERS FIRST!

Yes and would have won it all last year if it was not for covid Cal is ky basketball

Reactions: RunninRichie
70 years ago. Flat handed dribbling and chest pushing shots were a thing of beauty
[/QUOTE
Flat-handed dribbling is how the game was meant to be played. City sandlot basketball and relaxed referee enforcement have allowed today’s players to “carry” the ball almost all the time. Only the most blatant carries are whistled. Anytime you put your hand under the ball and hesitate while you continue to move your feet and then take another dribble is a carry.

Herros, the poster said, "The last five years of both coaches." We know that Cal had some good years when he got to UK, because he had the best college talent there was. However, even with that great talent of Cousins, Wall, and Bledsoe, he clearly got out coached by Huggins. Even you shouldn't be able to disagree with that. How about K State, out coached. How about Wisconsin, out coached. How about U Conn, out coached. Twelve years he's had the best talent, according to the pollsters who assign the STARS, and we have one NC for it. Three other teams have 2 NC's each, with less talent. You must be satisfied with the last 5 or 6 years. Most of us are not. I understand your a Cal fan, but most of us are UK fans. Last five years, two Elite 8's, Zero FF, 48% against our Top Rivals, approximately 50% versus AP Top 25. First LOSING season in over 100 years. First Coach to go to the NIT twice in his coaching stint, since we went to 64 teams in the NCAA T. A lot of coaches would have better records then Cal for the last 5 years, for a lot less money, and they would not have to kiss the players Butt, and Kneel for the National Anthem. The players are running our program at UK, not the coach. He's just along to collect the 10 Million.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

ADVERTISEMENT