ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari Presser on Ole Miss Streamed Live at 3:15

Raved about Lyles. Said every time they put the heart monitors on the big guys in games, Lyles is first every time.

Called him "scary" a couple of times.

Still tend to think he has the most upside of anyone on this team.

Originally posted by Joneslab:
Raved about Lyles. Said every time they put the heart monitors on the big guys in games, Lyles is first every time.

It's close between Lyles and Towns. But there's no denying that since Poy went down, Lyles has been outstanding.

The jumper on the wing is something the offense DESPERATELY needed.

I agree Joneslab. Lyles is a heck of a player and his upside
is HUGE. Cal was really impressed with his improvement.
I can't wait to see it! Its sure fun being a CAT fan. lol

Lyles will be one of those players that is more successful in the pros than in college. Once he gets a little older and grows into his body (his upper body isn't close to where it'll be), he'll be very very good for a long time. He reminds me of a better Drew Gooden. Gooden has made a career on rebounding a bit and popping a midrange jumper, all while collecting 53 million dollars.

Lyles will be a better rebounder, have a better midrange jumper (it's already to the point where I'm surprised if it misses), and will make much more than 53 million dollars while playing a decade minimum. I don't think he'll be a superstar, but he'll be a starter for a long, long time.

Originally posted by StubbornPenny:

Lyles will be one of those players that is more successful in the pros than in college. Once he gets a little older and grows into his body (his upper body isn't close to where it'll be), he'll be very very good for a long time. He reminds me of a better Drew Gooden. Gooden has made a career on rebounding a bit and popping a midrange jumper, all while collecting 53 million dollars.

Lyles will be a better rebounder, have a better midrange jumper (it's already to the point where I'm surprised if it misses), and will make much more than 53 million dollars while playing a decade minimum. I don't think he'll be a superstar, but he'll be a starter for a long, long time.
I like the Gooden comparison. ^^^

This UK freshman class is unique in my mind, because they are all four outstanding in their own ways. I don't think any one of the four completely outshines the others as has been the case with other classes.
Booker has become the great shooter we all expected but is much better defensively, athletically and in overall court savvy than *this guy* (me) expected.Ulis is simply an outstanding point guard, head up all the time, doesn't make mistakes, plays incredible defense, and can also shoot.Towns is starting to show more aggressiveness inside, is very smart, and it's clear the sky is the limit for him. Runs the floor like a gazelle, has great hands and footwork, and has great touch around the basket,Lyles is silent but deadly. Like you said, I'm surprised when he misses now. And he has ice in his veins, never changes his expression, just goes out and does work, hits the boards, and plays strong D. Love his game!I am SO much more impressed with this group than I thought I would be at this point in the season.

There have been better classes as far as potential NBA talent, but I think this is Cal's most well-rounded and best class as far as each and every player being a quality ready-to-contribute freshman. Top to bottom there are no duds, or multi-year projects.

My biggest takeaway:

This is an unselfish team. They play for each other, so I don't have to worry about the team. I worry about them individually. I asked each of them to find something they want to add to their game. We work on that thing, they add it to their game, I add it to what we do IN games.

Cal has got to be the greatest player's coach I've ever seen. Love this guy.

The class is helped greatly by the fact that they haven't been thrown into the fire.

Having this experience has allowed them to not have to do things they aren't comfortable with doing.

I think if the Harrisons would have left Ulis and Booker wouldn't be having the success they've had. We can all agree that Ulis is the better point guard than Andrew, but Ulis needs Andrew. At his size, he isn't going to be able to play 35 minutes a night and be the man and perform at the level he's performed at so far.

The experience has dragged the freshmen along with it, and vice versa. The make-up of this team is kind of manna.

Originally posted by SilentsAreGolden:
There have been better classes as far as potential NBA talent, but I think this is Cal's most well-rounded and best class as far as each and every player being a quality ready-to-contribute freshman. Top to bottom there are no duds, or multi-year projects.
IMHO, this is the most skilled class that Cal has had

Originally posted by wild mandu:

It's close between Lyles and Towns. But there's no denying that since Poy went down, Lyles has been outstanding.

Well, he's stopped taking 3s. That's the big thing. He just doesn't have that range yet (talking in-game, I'm sure's nails in practice). Right now, he's money from 17-feet. A few years from now, in the pros, he'll be an excellent three-point shooter.

The class is helped greatly by the fact that they haven't been thrown into the fire.

Having this experience has allowed them to not have to do things they aren't comfortable with doing.

I think if the Harrisons would have left Ulis and Booker wouldn't be having the success they've had. We can all agree that Ulis is the better point guard than Andrew, but Ulis needs Andrew. At his size, he isn't going to be able to play 35 minutes a night and be the man and perform at the level he's performed at so far.

The experience has dragged the freshmen along with it, and vice versa. The make-up of this team is kind of manna.
This. ^^^^^^^

Originally posted by bigbluelou:

Originally posted by StubbornPenny:

I like the Gooden comparison. ^^^

This UK freshman class is unique in my mind, because they are all four outstanding in their own ways. I don't think any one of the four completely outshines the others as has been the case with other classes.
Booker has become the great shooter we all expected but is much better defensively, athletically and in overall court savvy than *this guy* (me) expected.Ulis is simply an outstanding point guard, head up all the time, doesn't make mistakes, plays incredible defense, and can also shoot.Towns is starting to show more aggressiveness inside, is very smart, and it's clear the sky is the limit for him. Runs the floor like a gazelle, has great hands and footwork, and has great touch around the basket,Lyles is silent but deadly. Like you said, I'm surprised when he misses now. And he has ice in his veins, never changes his expression, just goes out and does work, hits the boards, and plays strong D. Love his game!I am SO much more impressed with this group than I thought I would be at this point in the season.
Good call on your analysis too. All four seem so much more polished than the freshmen we've had, even the no brainer superstar types. They're so in control. I only have one criticism...

....Towns cannot run like a gazelle. He has a lazy walk, don't you know?

Some really good comments in this thread, I agree with my board colleagues wholeheartedly. Only thing I would like to add :

The platooning has/is really making the kids give all out effort defensively this year. They just hustle constantly, non stop, running up and down the court on both offense and defense. We haven't been getting beaten in transition on defense nowhere NEAR as much this year, as opposed to the last couple years.

Offensively, I'm very comfortable that this is the area where we can improve our overall team effort in. We're not that far off doing some really special things offensively, as I see it. We have the skill players and the raw ingredients are there, we just need to pull it all together offensively as a team, and then we will be firing on ALL cylinders. (scary for the opposition)

As well as we have played overall, we still can improve alot, and I still think the ceiling is sky-high for our team, moreso than anyone else out there. This is a special year, no doubt about it, I so very much hope they can run the table and bring home #9!

Go Big Blue !

Originally posted by wcc31:

Originally posted by wild mandu:

Well, he's stopped taking 3s. That's the big thing. He just doesn't have that range yet (talking in-game, I'm sure's nails in practice). Right now, he's money from 17-feet. A few years from now, in the pros, he'll be an excellent three-point shooter.
Agreed. He's playing much smarter, much more within himself. The 3 will come, but not right now. Knock down that midrange game and it's lights out.

If the platoons are competitive in practice, I think this also translates to the real games. Each group wants to show they are equally capable. There is no doubt that the experienced players have positively impacted the learning curve.

ADVERTISEMENT