ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari post game comments on Jarred Vanderbilt

His whole message was fewer guys playing instead of more. Read into that what you want but if Richards keeps looking out of sorts in SEC play, Vandy could either take his place, get SKJ minutes or nothing.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
THIS often when a player is injured. I coach a sport at the highest levels and when you know a top player is cleared you wait til they approach you and let you know where they are mentally. Until you do that you pay attention to your team that’s actually playing the games.

I’ve had guys go through warm ups and linger around watching and waiting for me to approach them. I say nothing to him. He’s not ready if he’s not talking to me, approaching me with some enthusiasm. Of course every player is different but I get what cal is dealing with in Vanderbilt. Cal calling him out is going to put pressure on vando to get mentally tougher quicker

He said I forgot his name that and I dont worry about him. That almost sounds to me like I know he's ready but won't play. I have never heard him talk about a player like this.

It's almost as if he called him out to the league, like if you draft him and he sucks I told you without telling everyone outright that he wouldn't work with our team. This is weird.

Honestly, I didn't like the Diallo deal last year either.

Once you get in that locker room, those guys are your teammates, your brothers.

To sit there on the bench while your brothers are fighting like hell, and not want to go in there and be a part of that? Sorry, that's bull sh!t.

It was reported by a couple of insiders that Calipari approached Diallo about playing, and he declined.

I'm thrilled that Diallo returned, as he is a huge part of this team.

I had hoped after that, there would be no more of that shat.

Guess I was wrong.

Calipari sounds like he's just tired of fielding questions about Vanderbilt. Can't recall a season where's he's been asked sooo many times about a single player.
Well as I said in another thread, HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN CLEAR THE FIRST TIME AND LEFT NO DOUBT! Instead hes gone back and forth saying hes doing good then he doesn' know...he' doing good then he doesn't know....he' doing good then he doesn' know....he' doing good then he doesn' know, hes doing good then he doesn' know...

WTF???
He said I forgot his name that and I dont worry about him. That almost sounds to me like I know he's ready but won't play. I have never heard him talk about a player like this.

It's almost as if he called him out to the league, like if you draft him and he sucks I told you without telling everyone outright that he wouldn't work with our team. This is weird.

I don't blame the media. I understand that Vanderbilt has been physically cleared to play.

My point is that I don't think Calipari likes being second-guessed (who does?) about who he plays and why (why not). He's already said Vanderbilt isn't mentally ready to play, so he didn't play. Think he's just ready to talk about the SEVEN scholarship players who played and won two games in a row.

Calipari sounds like he's just tired of fielding questions about Vanderbilt. Can't recall a season where's he's been asked sooo many times about a single player.

I think you are one of about 3 posters that can actually understand coach speak.

The thing that is most comical about these situations are the reporters and fans that think they actually deserve an explanation.

I understand Cal's frustration. JV knows UK is already shorthanded. JV is apparently cleared medically, yet still doesn't tell his coach he wants to play.
If he is just worried about his NBA draft status and that is the reason he won't play, I would rather he just go ahead and leave and go get ready for the draft.
If I were Cal, I wouldn't let him travel with the team or dress for games if this is the case. WHy bother if he does not WANT to play.

Who is running this team Calipari or Vanderbilt? Cal is getting paid millions of dollars to coach BB at UK and he does not know when one of his players is going to be ready to play? That is biggest bunch of BS I have read. If he is not going to play because he is going to hurt his draft stock, pull his scholarship and send him home. When is Richards going to tell Cal he is ready to play? Most of these players today make me want to throw up. I know one thing, as a life long UK fan I am really getting tired of watching Freshmen play year in and year out. Scrap the one and done scam and let these players go straight to the NBA. I have seen 3 Freshmen play this season who are NBA ready and 2 of them are at Duke. None of them are at UK..

It’s ok, Kentucky is still making Millions while he gets free meal and lodging. I’m orwtty sure Kentucky is still wayyyyy a head when it comes to who is getting more out of this college basketball thing
You mean Cals making millions, majority of money goes to coaches salaries and expenses, facilities, travel for players in basketball.

Do his comments underscore his “I won’t be held hostage ever again” from the Harrow situation several years ago? Yes, I realize the situations are somewhat different but I think Cal is beginning to show the frustration in dealing a similar new “hostage” situation.
This exactly. Vanderbilt has friends and family in his ear telling him not to play for fear of hurting his draft status. Cal has told Vanderbilt's people he won't play until they say he's ready. I think Cal is frustrated because he thinks Vanderbilt is ready and has been medically cleared , but he won't go back on his word . I don't think there's anyway he gets drafted in the first round without playing. But what about the second round? Would a team take a chance on him ? Maybe the Doctors have told Jared a recurring injury to that foot is practically guaranteed. That would probably scare off the NBA completely. Maybe Jareds people would rather take the risk of falling to the second round over the chance of getting injured and never being drafted.

About the injury possibly recurring, I would say it would at some point, Bowie was never healthy after his first injury occurred. I know it's not the same injury but foot injuries seem to linger and get well slowly if ever they ever heal right at all.

How is a road game against 6-10 Vandy less pressure than a big rivalry game against UF at home?

People keep saying this, I don't understand.
An FSU fan asking the same question that many UK fans are asking. If Vando is ready to go then why not get some minutes against Vandy? Is he afraid of getting Boo'd by Vandy fans? If he isn't ready to go then I would think that CJC would say that...so, what is it?

I understood his comments. Coaches have to concentrate on the ones available. Number one thing in sports for players is to be available. Coaches tend to get disinterested in the ones that are not. Cal is no different than most coaches when it comes to this.

Reactions: da CATS rocks
When you are only going to play 7 or 8 players you have to be able to count on the ones you bring in. I know he's been hurt until now but I don't really understand the comments Cal made, sounds kind of like a challenge to me.

I don't recall him.ever talking like this about any player. He seemed to call him out without saying I know he can play but he won't. Read the transcript of the response. It doesn't seem good to me.
I listened to the postgame show. He seemed tired of the question. Read into that any way you'd like but if he's practicing, there's a chance he plays. Especially if he's so frustrated with the effort that he's ready to play 5 or 6 guys the whole game. This tells me that JV plays if he shows effort in practice.

LMAO, but you took the time to post in this thread.

Ok, so I typically agree with MANY of your posts but I never understood this particular line of thinking. Why is it funny or “hypocritical “ for him to post his feelings/ opinion in the thread? We’re all (most of us ) UK fans and it’s a popular topic at the moment. What i took from his post is basically “it’s been such a cluster all season with Vanderbilt I’m exhausted and tired of hearing the conflicting reports “

It’s like... if someone were to make a thread about LaVar Ball. Most of us absolutely detest LaVar... but it’s a discussion and we will all most likely post/ comment our opinions on said thread ... ya know?

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
And if cal forces Vando to play and he gets injured...... welcome to all kinds of hell recruiting players.... we’d start having trouble signing 10-25 ranked players along with top 5 guys

Well as I said in another thread, HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN CLEAR THE FIRST TIME AND LEFT NO DOUBT! Instead hes gone back and forth saying hes doing good then he doesn' know...he' doing good then he doesn't know....he' doing good then he doesn' know....he' doing good then he doesn' know, hes doing good then he doesn' know...

Pretty sure he didn’t say it that many (10)times.

Agreed. The “forgot his name” part seems subtly salty (perhaps rightfully so)

Cal (and i don’t think this is a negative at ALL) typically is sort of sunshine kinda guy. Slick talker ... basically sticks up for all his guys VERY much. Wants the best for them , even if what’s best may not be “best” for the fans)

This entire situation is very odd at this point.

Agreed. The “forgot his name” part seems subtly salty (perhaps rightfully so)

Cal (and i don’t think this is a negative at ALL) typically is sort of sunshine kinda guy. Slick talker ... basically sticks up for all his guys VERY much. Wants the best for them , even if what’s best may not be “best” for the fans)

This entire situation is very odd at this point.

Exactly like anyone really thinks he doesn't know his name after all his time recruiting him alone. I don't get it other than it reminds me of the way he talked about being held hostage. Like it's that kinda thing again.

And the tens of thousands of dollars of free medical attention to get him ready to play. Then he turns his back on us? No thank you.
Every year players bring in big money to universities and the NCAA and they only see a tiny fraction of that in return. I don't like that he's not playing either but maybe that's because I'm selfish too.

I listened to the postgame show. He seemed tired of the question. Read into that any way you'd like but if he's practicing, there's a chance he plays. Especially if he's so frustrated with the effort that he's ready to play 5 or 6 guys the whole game. This tells me that JV plays if he shows effort in practice.

I really want him too, he could take us to another level. These remarks don't seem like Cal comments. It was almost the exact opposite of how he usually is. He is very protective of his guys and this seemed like hey I won't protect you because of the way this is playing out.

ADVERTISEMENT