ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari is frustrated with the fan base .

Six years since his last FF....nine years since the title. The Cal that UK hired is not the Cal they have now.
Who knows what coach out there could do given the opportunity? There are some intriguing ones. Some mentioned on here frequently that I would not want.
The thing I do know, the current Cal model does not work.
This is fair, but....I mean subtract this year....And well last year was cancelled, BUT---I mean that team was balling. Legit FF contender.

Agree? Ok, good.

2019---Elite 8. OT loss to Auburn. Easily could have been in the FF.
2018--- SW 16---I mean,that team played to seed.
2017---ELite 8----Yeah, I know...
2016---Tough seed(4) vs an also underseeded IU team(5). Should have been a SW 16 gme.

I mean, who knows what last year brings....But lets say, ELite 8. That would be be three Elite 8's in 4 years...

OT loss and buzzer beating loss away from 2 more FF's.

Thing is, this year is an outlier...Chacnes of this happening , I mean, every worse scenario had to happen...

And well, I mean, it did.

Has Cal produced as he did early? Of course not. Was it realistic to expect him to do so? Of course not.

Look at it like this....

K went to 5 straight FF's, early in his tenure(88-92). Went to 7 Final Four in 9 seasons: 1986, then 88-92, then again in 94. After that FF in 94, Duke didn't reach another FF until 1999. In between they lost once in the 1st round...once in the 2nd round...once in the ELite 8, and missed the tourney once...

From 1980-1994, K went to 7 FF's and won 2 titles. Since then hes been to ONLY 5 FF's , but there is the 3 titles...

Point is---Even the great ones hit a skid..

I'm in Florida at the present time, in Bonita Springs. I will be back to my home in Kentucky in April to turkey hunt. Your right, I don't make as much as Cal. but I probably have donated more to UK then he has. I make enough to have a home on my farm, a million dollar home in Prospect, Kentucky, a home here in Florida, and travel all over the world, hunting and fishing. I enjoy life, and I don't have to read a menu from the right to the left when I go to a restaurant. I am able to put my two Grandsons through medical school, at UK where their at now. So, I don't have it to bad. Do not mean this to be bragging, but I get tired of the BS about how much money Cal makes and you or other Cal LOSERS, think we care. I only care about him winning, which he is doing a $hity job of.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

I might be a bit of an outlier, but:
1. I don't care about our coach's arrogance or whether he talks down to the fans
2. I don't care about our coach's politics
3. I don't care who our coach recruits or if there are KY players on the team.
4. I don't care if our players get drafted or not or if the are happy with their playing time.

I just want a coach who is ALL IN on winning every damn basketball game. Someone whose singular focus is to beat - and hopefully destroy - every team we face. That's what a college basketball coach is supposed to be doing.

We haven't had that here in a long time.

TBH, I think the better question is...

Who could UK find that could lead them to 7 Elite 8's, 4 Final Fours and a National title, in 11 years...

Just saying........
I'll answer that:

No one. Including the current John Vincent Calipari. The Cal that did all that? He's gone, man. Some people just don't see it. The current version of Cal? He's 8-14 and seemingly doesn't know a basketball from a softball.

Cal is like a pair of expensive running shoes. The first pair you bought were amazing. They gave you unmatched performance. The next pair you get, the soles start coming off after a dozen runs. The manufacturer went cheap, and you got ripped off. That's where we are at with Cal, now. He's not what he used to be.

And if my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle. Don’t cherry pick what you need in order to bolster your argument. It all counts. It all happened
Obviously you don't know what cherry picking means. He didn't specify a couple of years out of a group, he said Cal's first 5 years are a whole lot different than his last 5 years. That's not cherry picking, that's a fact.

I might be a bit of an outlier, but:
1. I don't care about our coach's arrogance or whether he talks down to the fans
2. I don't care about our coach's politics
3. I don't care who our coach recruits or if there are KY players on the team.
4. I don't care if our players get drafted or not or if the are happy with their playing time.

I just want a coach who is ALL IN on winning every damn basketball game. Someone whose singular focus is to beat - and hopefully destroy - every team we face. That's what a college basketball coach is supposed to be doing.

We haven't had that here in a long time.
You just described me spot on. Our coach will never be able to personally piss me off the way he does so many other people. I just need him to win and I don’t care what he says or does along the way. Although I was really high on last years team. We were playing some real good ball when the season shut down. We were looking at a 2-3 seed in the tournament. A lot of people want to pretend last season didn’t happen because it didn’t have an outcome.

Obviously you don't know what cherry picking means. He didn't specify a couple of years out of a group, he said Cal's first 5 years are a whole lot different than his last 5 years. That's not cherry picking, that's a fact.
The first 5 years does nothing for his argument. The last 5 does. He’s making his argument based on the portion that helps make his point and choosing to ignore the other years. When you put the body of work as a whole on the table nobody in their right mind would replace their coach. You’re wanting to argue semantics

And if my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle. Don’t cherry pick what you need in order to bolster your argument. It all counts. It all happened
It did happen. It just stopped happening and that’s the problem. Cal was very successful and is still replaceable. After this year Cal will have more missed tournaments than championships. I know there’s a lot of in between but don’t act like Cal has achieved some sort of unrepeatable level of success.

The first 5 years does nothing for his argument. The last 5 does. He’s making his argument based on the portion that helps make his point and choosing to ignore the other years. When you put the body of work as a whole on the table nobody in their right mind would replace their coach. You’re wanting to argue semantics
LOL. Everyone was happy with Cal during his first five years. However, he has fallen off considerably the last five. The last five years are much more indicative of where we are now. It’s that simple. No one gets a pass forever based on early success. Coaches that have won championships in the past are fired all the time in all sports, both professional and college. Past success does not guarantee future success.

This is fair, but....I mean subtract this year....And well last year was cancelled, BUT---I mean that team was balling. Legit FF contender.

Agree? Ok, good.

2019---Elite 8. OT loss to Auburn. Easily could have been in the FF.
2018--- SW 16---I mean,that team played to seed.
2017---ELite 8----Yeah, I know...
2016---Tough seed(4) vs an also underseeded IU team(5). Should have been a SW 16 gme.

I mean, who knows what last year brings....But lets say, ELite 8. That would be be three Elite 8's in 4 years...

OT loss and buzzer beating loss away from 2 more FF's.

Thing is, this year is an outlier...Chacnes of this happening , I mean, every worse scenario had to happen...

And well, I mean, it did.

Has Cal produced as he did early? Of course not. Was it realistic to expect him to do so? Of course not.

Look at it like this....

K went to 5 straight FF's, early in his tenure(88-92). Went to 7 Final Four in 9 seasons: 1986, then 88-92, then again in 94. After that FF in 94, Duke didn't reach another FF until 1999. In between they lost once in the 1st round...once in the 2nd round...once in the ELite 8, and missed the tourney once...

From 1980-1994, K went to 7 FF's and won 2 titles. Since then hes been to ONLY 5 FF's , but there is the 3 titles...

Point is---Even the great ones hit a skid..
Honestly, it's much deeper than the wins and losses. It’s the constant turnover and the NBA first culture.

He is prioritizing the NBA draft over roster continuity. That's not UK basketball, that's an NBA farm team.

Then he's acting like he's helping kids, when all he's doing is taking kids that were first round/lottery picks before they got here, then claiming victory like he got them there. Then, all the guys that weren't draft worthy, either jump or transfer after two years and most of them fall way short of what their initial goal was. If the culture wasn't what it is, EJ, Hagans, Baker, Juzang and Richards would still be here and we would he in the conversation for a great season this year, and next year and the year after.

This stuff worked when Cal was getting John Wall, Randle, Towns, AD and Cousins, but when your best guy is Skal, Knox, Witney, Boston, Askew or Clarke, it doesn't work.

We are at the end of the worst season in UK history and we are STILL going to lose at least 3 to the draft and probably a couple more to transfer. That’s a problem and Cal doesn't think he's done anytning wrong.

UK fans want to go back to being a college program with juniors and seniors, losing G League level players after 2 years is getting ridiculous, especially when you see guys like Dosunmu, Garza. Teague, Nembhard, Petty, Henry, Kispert, Ayayi, Jared Butler, Mark Vital, Dickinson, Livers… .as juniors and seniors on all these other rosters.

There is not another program out there that loses multiple underclassmen to the GL every year, heck, most don’t even lose one. Resetting the roster every year with project players is not what you would do if you want to win titles, it is what you would do if you want to pad your list of draft picks.

Then, he did something really stupid this year and had Askew reclass to be the sole pg on this team. He also totally mis-evaluated Boston.

He obviously has a total lack of communication with his players, if so many are transferring and leaving after 2 years for the GL. While he's "helping" guys like Boston and Clarke get to the draft, guys that were projected lottery picks prior to coming here, he totally failed Hagans and EJ. Those two left way too early and will be lifers in the GL. Meanwhile, when you look at the top 25, every team has better junior and senior players than the sophomores we lost to the GL.

Those of us that want change, simply see what's happening and recognize that the game has changed, the recruits have changed. Cal isn’t getting the big fish recruits, he's getting 2nd tier 5* kids that have "potential". They’re gone before they get here and they have AAU minds when they walk in the door. Even coach K can’t win with these kids. It’s time to stop the dumb one and done bullshit and start building legit college rosters. I don't like the fact that UK has turned into an NBA feeder program. It’s bullshit.

Hilarious, you want him to group everytning together, because it fits your argument, when it’s quite obvious that the first 5 years are completely different than his last 5 years.

You're just upset because his facts don’t coincide with your agenda.

LOL. Everyone was happy with Cal during his first five years. However, he has fallen off considerably the last five. The last five years are much more indicative of where we are now. It’s that simple. No one gets a pass forever based on early success. Coaches that have won championships in the past are fired all the time in all sports, both professional and college. Past success does not guarantee future success.
Yeah, but he wants you to just group everything together and put a bow on it, so it looks all pretty.
He doesn't want you to show the actual pattern of what is going on, that's devistating to his argument.

We better hope next year is better because this list sucks.

Could any one of them do better than 8-14? Yes. All of them. But could any one of them match what Cal has done here this far? No probably not. That’s why I think y’all are giving up too quick. Let’s see what happens.
What Cal has done here is his first five years. After that, any coach can copy Cal’s record. Tubbys last five years is just about equal to Cal’s last five. Tubby could coach, but refused to get involved with the sleeve that is AAU ball, thus his recruiting was awful.

TBH, I think the better question is...

Who could UK find that could lead them to 7 Elite 8's, 4 Final Fours and a National title, in 11 years...

Just saying........
With the talent Cal has his first five years? Just about any decent coach could.

Reactions: KFuqua
Honestly, it's much deeper than the wins and losses. It’s the constant turnover and the NBA first culture.

He is prioritizing the NBA draft over roster continuity. That's not UK basketball, that's an NBA farm team.

Then he's acting like he's helping kids, when all he's doing is taking kids that were first round/lottery picks before they got here, then claiming victory like he got them there. Then, all the guys that weren't draft worthy, either jump or transfer after two years and most of them fall way short of what their initial goal was. If the culture wasn't what it is, EJ, Hagans, Baker, Juzang and Richards would still be here and we would he in the conversation for a great season this year, and next year and the year after.

This stuff worked when Cal was getting John Wall, Randle, Towns, AD and Cousins, but when your best guy is Skal, Knox, Witney, Boston, Askew or Clarke, it doesn't work.

We are at the end of the worst season in UK history and we are STILL going to lose at least 3 to the draft and probably a couple more to transfer. That’s a problem and Cal doesn't think he's done anytning wrong.

UK fans want to go back to being a college program with juniors and seniors, losing G League level players after 2 years is getting ridiculous, especially when you see guys like Dosunmu, Garza. Teague, Nembhard, Petty, Henry, Kispert, Ayayi, Jared Butler, Mark Vital, Dickinson, Livers… .as juniors and seniors on all these other rosters.

There is not another program out there that loses multiple underclassmen to the GL every year, heck, most don’t even lose one. Resetting the roster every year with project players is not what you would do if you want to win titles, it is what you would do if you want to pad your list of draft picks.

Then, he did something really stupid this year and had Askew reclass to be the sole pg on this team. He also totally mis-evaluated Boston.

He obviously has a total lack of communication with his players, if so many are transferring and leaving after 2 years for the GL. While he's "helping" guys like Boston and Clarke get to the draft, guys that were projected lottery picks prior to coming here, he totally failed Hagans and EJ. Those two left way too early and will be lifers in the GL. Meanwhile, when you look at the top 25, every team has better junior and senior players than the sophomores we lost to the GL.

Those of us that want change, simply see what's happening and recognize that the game has changed, the recruits have changed. Cal isn’t getting the big fish recruits, he's getting 2nd tier 5* kids that have "potential". They’re gone before they get here and they have AAU minds when they walk in the door. Even coach K can’t win with these kids. It’s time to stop the dumb one and done bullshit and start building legit college rosters. I don't like the fact that UK has turned into an NBA feeder program. It’s bullshit.
Great post....backing up the argument with specific players really nails down the divide between pro Cal vs. non pro Cal.

Before the Cal first fans come in here and act like this is a BBN only thing, uNC fans blasted Roy Williams for losing to Marquette so bad that he walked out of a press conference.

To be fair they were upset that kids weren't going to class.

Hilarious, you want him to group everytning together, because it fits your argument, when it’s quite obvious that the first 5 years are completely different than his last 5 years.

You're just upset because his facts don’t coincide with your agenda.
Wait, I have an agenda?

With the talent Cal has his first five years? Just about any decent coach could.
But no other coach would have even got that talent. It’s almost our fans are not even proud of the first 5 years anymore. You sounded like a typical Louisville fan just now.

Last edited:
LastUK, I was not trying to impress anyone. I just get tired of Cal fans, not UK fans, thinking that we're all jealous of what Cal makes. I really don't care what he makes. More power to him! I just care about winning at UK, which he has not done much of in the last 6 years.
OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Please edit your post and delete your address before that maniac sees it.

Please.

Man you nail it with every post. You absolutely get it, and what has happened to this program. We don't personally hate Cal, but we simply hate what he has done to The Greatest College Basketball Program Of All Time. We have been hi-jacked, and became a 6 month NBA Training Camp year after year. We Demand to have OUR PROGRAM RETURNED TO US!!

Win some games and all those fans come back. The mob is fickle. If you’re still dwelling on this god awful season then you’re wasting your time. This off season will be the most important in a while.

Again, just because you don’t agree doesn’t make it a “mob”. You’re not even making sense.

The huge amount of fans who no longer respect or support John Calipari will still and always will support Kentucky basketball, as I stated in previous posts. Fans will always always always be happy and pleased when Kentucky is successful. Once again, the point is John Calipari** has lost the respect and support of a large portion of the fan base and it will never ever return.

Facts over feelings my friend.

Kyle Tucker writes for “ The Athletic” and says Cal is “frustrated with the fan base “ ! Don’t think I’m allowed to provide the link here . I LMAO at that statement.

Where's the link because I don't see this on The Athletic

But no other coach would have even got that talent. It’s almost our fans are not even proud of the first 5 years anymore. You sounded like a typical Louisville fan just now.
How do you know that? Other coaches get 5 stars as well, except they coach them up better. You seriously think Cal is the only coach that can recruit? Answer this, which had you rather have a roster of 5 stars every year with OAD, in which case you may get a year like this one, or good 3 and 4 stars that have good BB IQ, and stay 3-4 years?

Man you nail it with every post. You absolutely get it, and what has happened to this program. We don't personally hate Cal, but we simply hate what he has done to The Greatest College Basketball Program Of All Time. We have been hi-jacked, and became a 6 month NBA Training Camp year after year. We Demand to have OUR PROGRAM RETURNED TO US!!
Yeah, I don't hate Cal, in fact, as a man, I respect how hard he works, but as a keeper of the program I love, he's shitting on it every time he puts the NBA and draft picks before the program that is paying him.

He needs to go back and re-experience the feelings he had when UK offered him the job. He was motivated back then to be on top of the mountain in this sport, but it has morphed into him being on top of the draft pick mountain and that disgusts me.

Again, just because you don’t agree doesn’t make it a “mob”. You’re not even making sense.

The huge amount of fans who no longer respect or support John Calipari will still and always will support Kentucky basketball, as I stated in previous posts. Fans will always always always be happy and pleased when Kentucky is successful. Once again, the point is John Calipari** has lost the respect and support of a large portion of the fan base and it will never ever return.

Facts over feelings my friend.
Dude you just don’t know the definition of the word “mob”. It has nothing to do with anyone’s opinion. You also must not have seen the movie Gladiator in a while. Because that was also a movie reference.
I get that a lot of people are mad about the kneeling thing. I didn’t care for it either. But I was over it the next morning. I just want the team I follow to win. I don’t care how the coaches and players feel about anything in the process. It’s a philosophical difference at this point. Y’all do you. Party on.

We better hope next year is better because this list sucks.

Could any one of them do better than 8-14? Yes. All of them. But could any one of them match what Cal has done here this far? No probably not. That’s why I think y’all are giving up too quick. Let’s see what happens.
Alright then. When Cal leaves we’ll just stop having a men’s basketball program. After all, it never was successful before him, and is doomed without him.

ADVERTISEMENT