ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari is frustrated with the fan base .

I'll summarize the content about Cal's frustration with the fanbase since I know a buddy who has a subscription to this and he lets me use his account to read some stuff on here when I want. Basically, Cal's frustrated about the critique of the team's win/loss record, usage of Dontaie Allen, the BLM stuff and kneeling for the anthem. The guy also thinks that Cal might be out the door after the season because of all this if not for his massive contract, but obviously that contract will be what keeps him around.

There was also speculation about who could replace Cal if he were to leave in the next six years. Nate Oats and Eric Musselman were the two names mentioned if it happens in the next couple of years. If it happened in four or five years, Mark Pope was the other name mentioned.
nothing against Mark Pope but whoever hires Mark Pope as the coach of Kentucky , even 5 years from now should be fired immediately afterwards

Last edited:
No answer? Or the list too long
I’d wager any of the following could do better than 8-14, wouldn’t insult the fans as much, and wouldn’t cost $9 million a year.
Scott Drew
Juwon Howard
Nate Oats
Cuonzo Martin
Leonard Hamilton
Wes Miller
Mike Boynton
Craig Smith
Anthony Grant
Mark Pope
Travis Steele
John Beilein
Steve Forbes
Chris Beard
Chris Holtmann
Eric Musselman

Yeah that’s the rub. It’s bad enough that he’s sucked this season, but the arrogance and the total disrespect directed to the fanbase is over the top. If he would simply say he’s done a terrible job this season and that he’s going to do everything in his power to see that it never happens again, most would find it palatable. But, he has to go in the complete opposite direction and lash out at everyone but himself. It seems he simply has zero self awareness.
I’d be 100% on board if he was man enough to say that.

Why would you think you can’t link it? There’s no rules against linking other sites. Link whatever you want.

Everyone needs to read the article and the exact quotes before getting too worked up. Tucker likes to stretch the truth to create controversy and clicks.

Fwiw I think Cal is frustrated in general. Additionally I posted a month ago or more that I thought cal was fatigued and over the fan experience. Started a few years ago where everything he did seemed like a facade. Even so I can't imagine he said anything near this in an interview.

Reactions: Col. Angus
with each loss, the list of coaches capable of replacing Cal does seem to grow on here

I've noticed some of the most adamant voices against it aren't quite so adamant now

Reactions: KFuqua
Go get Dana Altman and have Tony Delk, and Jalen Rose on staff. Get a young but good recruiter on staff. In 2028 hire Delk or Rose to be head coach.

I just saved UK basketball.

I’d wager any of the following could do better than 8-14, wouldn’t insult the fans as much, and wouldn’t cost $9 million a year.
Scott Drew
Juwon Howard
Nate Oats
Cuonzo Martin
Leonard Hamilton
Wes Miller
Mike Boynton
Craig Smith
Anthony Grant
Mark Pope
Travis Steele
John Beilein
Steve Forbes
Chris Beard
Chris Holtmann
Eric Musselman
You can add my name to this list. I could take this team and win more than 8 games. Of course my focus would be to win the games, and not cater to 5 star, potential draft picks.

Cal, I think, has no clue how much of the fanbase is truly done with him. He will next year though. Things are going to get ugly.
I’m as frustrated as anybody. And I don’t like where I think things are heading. But it will only get ugly if we make it ugly. We don’t have to do that. FWIW, I think saying that John Calipari can’t coach is over the top. My gripe is about the way in which he is constructing his rosters and about his seeming lack of concern for player retention. That’s what I think is hurting the program and I’m going to keep my criticism focused on those areas until it changes.

At this juncture, I don't care about this season, post season play etc., this team lacks many of the intangibles to be a threat to any decent team, we'd likely lose in the opening round. I just want Cal out of Kentucky, I can't stand his approach, his arrogance and everything that comes with him being the HC.

No. I dont think that. I know that. I am talking about many UK grads that for decades have attended games as a group, well, until this year . Now we meet and watch games together. One of our group coached Div. 2 for many years. Each understands the weaknesses of this team but we never discuss firing Cal. There will be a time , maybe within the next 3 to 5 years that we change coaches. Guys on this board post with like minded posters and it seems to give them a feeling of significance in firing a coach. I do not share that thought. There are many more fans out there that never visit this board. They too, have a voice.
I will just say this. Don't know your group or the number, but if you think there aren't many fans upset with Cal and would rather him leave and take a job elsewhere, naive is the word I would use.

At this juncture, I don't care about this season, post season play etc., this team lacks many of the intangibles to be a threat to any decent team, we'd likely lose in the opening round. I just want Cal out of Kentucky, I can't stand his approach, his arrogance and everything that comes with him being the HC.

Tell us how you really feel! LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: Philstat
I’m with you.

Deflecting his shitty coaching and program mismanagement on to fans via media in an effort to shift the focus from his shitty coaching and program mismanagement to the perception that UK fans are unappreciative and unrealistic

Soooooo True! The guy has been snarky since the first time anyone dared ask him a question about his coaching.

Last edited:
Everyone needs to read the article and the exact quotes before getting too worked up. Tucker likes to stretch the truth to create controversy and clicks.

Fwiw I think Cal is frustrated in general. Additionally I posted a month ago or more that I thought cal was fatigued and over the fan experience. Started a few years ago where everything he did seemed like a facade. Even so I can't imagine he said anything near this in an interview.

Cal always says KY isn't for everyone.. maybe the fatigue is real. Cal also is apparently 100% clueless about how deeply a large group of KY fans feel about their politics and because of such alienated himself and the current roster from those fans by pulling the kneeling stunt at Florida.
As for the BLM video the players did I say no problem, express yourself; but the kneeling thing was very miscalculated and should not have been done. Cal should have redirected the guys.

Oh well, Kentucky Basketball may never recover but Cal continues to get his outrageous salary for underperforming. Sun will come up tomorrow.

One of the reasons I was excited when Cal was hired was I thought we finally had a coach who understood where he was, that he got what being the coach at UK meant. That fellow is long ago departed. The hubris it takes to say anything negative about our fans in a season where we are 8-14 and going to miss the NCAA tournament, shows me he no longer understands where he is coaching. Mr. No Excuses at Kentucky has tossed out everyone in the book this year. When coaches turn on their fan bases, especially here, they are toast. Cal WILL BE GONE after next year, Mark it down.

Reactions: BluCroo and deep3
Well, I can tell you this. All of my friends are diehard UK fans. They hate this season but they have never talked about getting rid of Cal. So, there you go. The only place I hear ,Fire Cal, is on this board.

Oh There are definitely still “UK” fans who support John Calipari. That is an astute statement. Nobody is denying that. However majority on and off this board do not. He has lost a significant portion of the fan bases respect and support. Sizable. That’s just the way it is.

Go get Dana Altman and have Tony Delk, and Jalen Rose on staff. Get a young but good recruiter on staff. In 2028 hire Delk or Rose to be head coach.

I just saved UK basketball.
trade rose for anderson and you are on to something

Oh There are definitely still “UK” fans who support John Calipari. That is an astute statement. Nobody is denying that. However majority on and off this board do not. He has lost a significant portion of the fan bases respect and support. Sizable. That’s just the way it is.
Win some games and all those fans come back. The mob is fickle. If you’re still dwelling on this god awful season then you’re wasting your time. This off season will be the most important in a while.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Cal was hired to do one thing and that is to coach and win games. We could care less how many players he puts into the NBA. Get back to winning games like you did when your were 1st hired. I like many other are tired of having new players each year.

Last edited:
Scott Drew
Juwon Howard
Nate Oats
Cuonzo Martin
Leonard Hamilton
Wes Miller
Mike Boynton
Craig Smith
Anthony Grant
Mark Pope
Travis Steele
John Beilein
Steve Forbes
Chris Beard
Chris Holtmann
Eric Musselman

We better hope next year is better because this list sucks.

Could any one of them do better than 8-14? Yes. All of them. But could any one of them match what Cal has done here this far? No probably not. That’s why I think y’all are giving up too quick. Let’s see what happens.

Kyle Tucker writes for “ The Athletic” and says Cal is “frustrated with the fan base “ ! Don’t think I’m allowed to provide the link here . I LMAO at that statement.
The fan base is not even close to being his biggest problem, and should sit--he even says it himself--far down the priority list. He's got a ton of stuff to worry about besides what we say. He doesn't listen to the noise and chatter anyway, or so he says.

He has to know that we've got a right to feel down if not betrayed by a system that doesn't hardly lend itself to getting to know players before they're gone. Hell, I even cringe when I think of what must go on academically in the second semester...I'd rather not know the details. Since the Wisconsin game, which he himself helped us to lose, we have had some recruiting busts, some poor play against the top-25, some overrated classes, some embarrassing losses, many unhappy transfers, and this year in Hell.

Covid probably made this about five losses worse than we are, and that's being generous. In my view, sans covid, we would be 13-9 instead of 8-14, and still howling at how poorly we are playing. Throw in covid and bad luck along with an overrated class, some poor coaching, Payne's departure, and phantom injuries, and we clearly see why Kansas has trimmed 10 off of our lead and may catch us by Nov 30 this calendar year.

TBH, I think the better question is...

Who could UK find that could lead them to 7 Elite 8's, 4 Final Fours and a National title, in 11 years...

Just saying........
Six years since his last FF....nine years since the title. The Cal that UK hired is not the Cal they have now.
Who knows what coach out there could do given the opportunity? There are some intriguing ones. Some mentioned on here frequently that I would not want.
The thing I do know, the current Cal model does not work.

We better hope next year is better because this list sucks.

Could any one of them do better than 8-14? Yes. All of them. But could any one of them match what Cal has done here this far? No probably not. That’s why I think y’all are giving up too quick. Let’s see what happens.
Not the first 5.But the last 5 would be easy for any competent coach to duplicate or beat.

ADVERTISEMENT