ADVERTISEMENT

Cal with some words for the haters

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
“I’ve got a good team. I’ve had a good team. I know our fans have loved us. All season, our fans have bragged about these kids and talked — what? — about how good — there was no room on the bandwagon.”

"Look, the fans that have really followed how I’ve done this for ten years never leave. The fans that are mad that our kids are in the NBA making $1.5 billion, they’re not changing. The reality of it is the fans that really follow us, they know this is a process. We’ve had teams that went until late February before they got it. And our fans stuck with it. The others they were chirping and doing their thing, I don’t pay attention to it. If it gets crazy, I’ll say Eric, ‘Is there anything I need to deal with?’ ‘Nah, there’s nothing.’ I don’t watch it, I don’t read it. So, if you’re on the internet or you’re sending me emails. I don’t have email so you can’t send me email. If I need to talk to someone, I go in the bathroom and I turn the water on. You’re not emailing me. You’re not — I don’t need the Twitter, the Facebook. I don’t read it. If I need it, he’ll say it. ‘Yeah, it’s duh-duh-duh.’ What? ‘They’re mad at duh-duh-duh.’ What? It kind of makes me laugh.

“We have the greatest fans. Let me say this: as a coach, Kentucky is, like, what you want. You never have to sell a ticket. You never have to worry about people being excited about games. You could play in a storm and there’s 20,000 people in that building. You know that the hardcore people adopt these players and they become their sons and grandsons. But you also know that there’s a small percentage of them out there that are crazy. I don’t pay any attention to them. Now, here’s a good thing. They’ll never steal my joy, they never will and I don’t listen to you so you make yourself angry and go crazy, make yourself angry and go crazy. And I’ll be smiling. Why’s he always smiling? That guy smiles all the time.”

One thing Cal always forgets to mention is that’s part of him making an 8 million dollar salary, dealing with fans and negativity. I’d gladly listen to it for that money. One way or another people are always complaining. Some complain cause we lose too much and others complain to the complainers once we start winning.

Why don’t we all just be glad we’re winning and moving in the right direction.

One thing Cal always forgets to mention is that’s part of him making an 8 million dollar salary, dealing with fans and negativity. I’d gladly listen to it for that money. One way or another people are always complaining. Some complain cause we lose too much and others complain to the complainers once we start winning.

He's basically saying he doesn't have time to worry about Losers that cry about his coaching because they hate their own lives and need someone to blame.

Cal should be totally positive at this point in time.

No reason for him to say anything negative in any way, shape or form.

He has a dream life like most can’t even imagine. He makes millions a year coaching the most historic program in sports history. And what makes this program better than all the rest, is the fans. That’s a fact.

Our fans, even the ones he wants for some reason to call bandwagon, are what makes Kentucky basketball the Gold Standard.

Shut up Cal, and just enjoy this. You could be coaching Memphis or the Nets, whose fans aren’t bandwagon, they just don’t give a crap.

He obviously does have time cause I keep hearing him address them time and time again.

No, he's telling them all that he isn't going to shoot 30 threes, he's not going to call a timeout because they want him to, etc. He's basically telling them all that his results prove they are losers. He's spitting in their faces.

I think it's justified with some of the crazy crap I read on this board. A few weeks ago Herro sucked, Cal was done and a ton of who's our next coach, etc... Then you have the stuff with fans attacking kids on social media and it's like dam. Some of our fan base calls us sunshine pumpers, but honestly how could you not see weeks ago this team was starting to get it. Some people just give up to quick each year and each year they eat crow. You would think they would learn by now, but nope.

I can definitely agree with that last sentence my friend. If it weren't for the completely ludicrous overreactions from earlier in the season, I probably wouldn't have posted this. But it was really bad, bad enough that Cal felt the need to address it.

He has a dream life like most can’t even imagine. He makes millions a year coaching the most historic program in sports history. And what makes this program better than all the rest, is the fans. That’s a fact.

Our fans, even the ones he wants for some reason to call bandwagon, are what makes Kentucky basketball the Gold Standard.

Shut up Cal, and just enjoy this. You could be coaching Memphis or the Nets, whose fans aren’t bandwagon, they just don’t give a crap.
@kev69 why didn’t you jump on the OP like you did on my post? Is it because he’s a mod?

Reactions: floatingyou
Translation for malcontents and Tards creeping the site...

ht.jpg

We vent. So why can't he?

good move by cal. the miserable portion of our fan base that still has no respect for him and his accomplishments need to be told to shut the F at times as they have gotten louder and louder. and cal carries a big stick. good on him for laying it to these snowflakes who believe they are above and beyond reproach.

No, you shut up and enjoy it. You need to stay positive. You let Cal talk down you. He is your better. By like, a million. If you don't like him saying it, you leave. Go cheer for Memphis. No one will miss you or everyone of those bandwagon fans if you left in has tomorrow. That is a fact.

good move by cal. the miserable portion of our fan base that still has no respect for him and his accomplishments need to be told to shut the F at times as they have gotten louder and louder. and cal carries a big stick. good on him for laying it to these snowflakes who believe they are above and beyond reproach.
you really believe that is a good move? To throw shade on the fan base when they were down on the team playing crap ball? Cal just raised the bar for what this team has to do this year. He didn't shut them up, he motivated them. No, they won't come out of the woodwork now, but if this team doesn't have a great tourney run, you think swaggy Cal is going to preaching the value of the process then? Thats when those fans will remind him - and they'll be 8x as bitter as they were 2 weeks ago.

Reactions: crestcat
This is true.

No, he's telling them all that he isn't going to shoot 30 threes, he's not going to call a timeout because they want him to, etc. He's basically telling them all that his results prove they are losers. He's spitting in their faces.
I promise the more he wins, the less fans will try coaching. That’s what make UK so unique. We are favored in most games we play and winning is demanded here. We should be grateful we’re like this and not like IU and keep a coach for 10 years who can’t get past the sweet 16.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
“I’ve got a good team. I’ve had a good team. I know our fans have loved us. All season, our fans have bragged about these kids and talked — what? — about how good — there was no room on the bandwagon.”

"Look, the fans that have really followed how I’ve done this for ten years never leave. The fans that are mad that our kids are in the NBA making $1.5 billion, they’re not changing. The reality of it is the fans that really follow us, they know this is a process. We’ve had teams that went until late February before they got it. And our fans stuck with it. The others they were chirping and doing their thing, I don’t pay attention to it. If it gets crazy, I’ll say Eric, ‘Is there anything I need to deal with?’ ‘Nah, there’s nothing.’ I don’t watch it, I don’t read it. So, if you’re on the internet or you’re sending me emails. I don’t have email so you can’t send me email. If I need to talk to someone, I go in the bathroom and I turn the water on. You’re not emailing me. You’re not — I don’t need the Twitter, the Facebook. I don’t read it. If I need it, he’ll say it. ‘Yeah, it’s duh-duh-duh.’ What? ‘They’re mad at duh-duh-duh.’ What? It kind of makes me laugh.

“We have the greatest fans. Let me say this: as a coach, Kentucky is, like, what you want. You never have to sell a ticket. You never have to worry about people being excited about games. You could play in a storm and there’s 20,000 people in that building. You know that the hardcore people adopt these players and they become their sons and grandsons. But you also know that there’s a small percentage of them out there that are crazy. I don’t pay any attention to them. Now, here’s a good thing. They’ll never steal my joy, they never will and I don’t listen to you so you make yourself angry and go crazy, make yourself angry and go crazy. And I’ll be smiling. Why’s he always smiling? That guy smiles all the time.”

You're so negative..

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I promise the more he wins, the less fans will try coaching. That’s what make UK so unique. We are favored in most games we play and winning is demanded here. We should be grateful we’re like this and not like IU and keep a coach for 10 years who can’t get past the sweet 16.

Cal is addressing the losers of the fanbase. Every fan base has them and he loves their misery of him succeeding.

You told Cal to shut up.....you.....you, you, fan you.

You non believers need to read this every now and then. We have some real nutcases for fans, unfortunately.

No, you shut up and enjoy it. You need to stay positive. You let Cal talk down you. He is your better. By like, a million. If you don't like him saying it, you leave. Go cheer for Memphis. No one will miss you or everyone of those bandwagon fans if you left in has tomorrow. That is a fact.

Kev has his place here...

UK fans want/expect national championships. UK coaches want/expect complete and unquestioned adoration.

It’s going to be a fraught relationship at times.

Fraughty and nice...

I was channeling my inner Cal calling out knee jerkers and negative nancies.
We all mess up. I’ve had to apologize to posters on here myself on more than one occasion. We have so many trolls it’s easy to get caught up in their negativity on here. I understand your point on calling them out. I had a different stance on that because I figured that it was a bad thing if we give them the attention they crave. Maybe calling them out isn’t such a bad thing? We have some trolls that I can’t wait to see banned on here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT