ADVERTISEMENT

Cal Wishes He Had Called Timeout and I Disagree

Most of us have probably seen at least a portion of Cal's postgame quotes, part of which included him saying that he probably should have called timeout after Monk hit the game-tying three in order to get his defense set.

Obviously hindsight is 20/20, but even seeing how things played out I don't agree with him. During the final offensive possession for UNC, the only two players to touch the ball were Pinson (6.0 ppg) and Maye (5.8 ppg), who I'll grant you has played well in this tournament. Players that didn't touch the ball were Jackson (18.2 ppg), Berry (14.6 ppg), and Meeks (12.3 ppg), which also happen to be UNC's top 3 leading scorers. In other words, we did a nice job denying their primary offensive threats from getting the ball and essentially made two role players beat us. I think you just have to give them credit for creating a shot and knocking it down. It was an 18 foot jumper after all. It's not like they got a layup.

On the other hand, lets say Cal calls a timeout and gives a Hall of Fame coach the opportunity to draw up a play for one of the most offensively talented rosters in the tournament. In my opinion UNC's percentages go up at that point. Let's say that play results in a 12 foot floater for Jackson for the win. Cal is getting absolutely CRUSHED for calling that timeout.

The ending sucks. No way around it. I don't think Cal has any reason to doubt his decision though, and in fact I support it. People with a narrative against Cal will point to that moment and say "See, Cal is not a good coach." However, when you look at the breakdown of how things played out, in my mind he did the right thing. You just have to tip your cap to Carolina for getting it done.
When you have many brand new faces (18-19 yr olds) like we do every year, I agree with Cal. Leave as little as possible to chance--we have a great defense when it's set, and we would have guarded the last play much better if we had called time out. Maye has been confident in this tourney (see Humphries) and regardless of other stats, it is confidence that wins every time over stats. Wish he had done it...I'm 99.9% sure we would have kept them from scoring...unless of course Higgins would have called us for a foul (pathetic refereeing cost us this game).

Reactions: new era cat
yeah the whole timeout thing is Coach Cal's way to cover for our players.

Think about this. If they had missed that shot, would Roy be asked "Why didn't YOU call the time out?"

People don't realize this but neither of the Hall-of-Famer coaches called the time out.
Ole Roy didn't call a time out because : 1. The game was tied. 2. They had possession of the ball. 3. Attempted to catch Uk napping from jubilation. 4. Worse case scenario - Game goes in overtime.
This is just my honest opinion.

Fair enough. But we took our chances with a wide open Maye...no one was guarding him.

Obviously leaving him open was a mistake. But that could have happened timeout or no timeout. He went to go help out on the drive. A mid range jumper from a bench guy is better than allowing the drive. I guess that's what Willis was thinking.

Lol at a bunch of Cal's Kittens trying to interpret what a HOF coach said so as to validate their perfect image of him.:joy:
He messed up and admitted it. Kudos to him and mad props. Haven't seen him do it that often.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT