ADVERTISEMENT

Cal/wheeler

TheWyldKat

Senior
Mar 13, 2016
The spacing we had with no Wheeler looked much much better. We all know he is going to play. But will Cal limit his minutes to let’s say 15-18? Or will it be back to the old w him playing 38 min and ppl sagging off him clogging the paint for terrible spacing?

Since many of us no nothing fans have been saying this for 2 years, that will mean ccc will start him asap. He will ignore yesterday's results. You know ccc and his favorites

Reactions: Blisterpac
Like I said so many times and was absolutely killed for it, we don’t lose to St. Peter’s with TyTy at point along with Grady and mintz, Toppin and Oscar. Those who argued it over and over, do you see it now?

The floor spacing will eventually look significantly better if the trio of Wallace, Fredrick, and reeves get more experience playing together, but to act like our offensive spacing looked any better yesterday is wild. We won because we rebounded and defended our asses off, and hit free throws. Not because of floor spacing.

We also won because Ut had to guard 5 spots and we had the right people with ball in hands to shoot free throws late
Wheeler ain’t giving thst ball up nor would he make free throws - he’d short arm em like always choking his guts out

We also won because Ut had to guard 5 spots and we had the right people with ball in hands to shoot free throws late
Wheeler ain’t giving thst ball up nor would he make free throws - he’d short arm em like always choking his guts out
The free throw thing makes some sense. The offensive spacing argument makes absolutely no sense and is just people layering their preconceived conclusion about how this team can succeed onto an individual game that doesn’t support it at all.

What I’ve been begging for since before the season even started. There’s a place for Wheeler in the rotation. But it’s not 35 mpg or with the ball in his hands with the game on the line.
Yea. All of us with rational minds have been saying it since last year. Wheeler is a good player at a great program. He’s perfect off the bench for 12-18 mins per game. Anything more than that is not a recipe for success.

The free throw thing makes some sense. The offensive spacing argument makes absolutely no sense and is just people layering their preconceived conclusion about how this team can succeed onto an individual game that doesn’t support it at all.
I don’t think the spacing was great but I didn’t think the ball got stuck as much. I would give us maybe a C- for our offense vs. an excellent defensive team. Would love to see Livingston/Thiero at the 4, but doubt that comes without foul trouble or injury.

I don’t think the spacing was great but I didn’t think the ball got stuck as much. I would give us maybe a C- for our offense vs. an excellent defensive team. Would love to see Livingston/Thiero at the 4, but doubt that comes without foul trouble or injury.
That’s fair. I would say the offense was negligibly better than usual. What was really really good/better was the effort level, defense, rebounding, and free throw shooting. I think people are so ready for better floor spacing (myself included) that they’re trying to claim this game as an example of how better spacing will lead us to better results, when it really wasn’t about spacing.

Reactions: Aike
The floor spacing will eventually look significantly better if the trio of Wallace, Fredrick, and reeves get more experience playing together, but to act like our offensive spacing looked any better yesterday is wild. We won because we rebounded and defended our asses off, and hit free throws. Not because of floor spacing.
That’s Cap. Watch the game again and see how many times we were able to drive the lane with players other than Wheeler. Reeves went to the rim as did Theiro and Livingston. Wheelers man lives in the lane and prevents us from attacking the rim. That helped our spacing. Plus we played a top 5 defense yesterday. We didn’t get to the rim much against South Carolina and they are terrible.

I cannot understand Cal's playing of Wheeler. I know Cal gets the critisizm of "he's doing this or that for the guy's NBA career". I'm not sold on that but it's a non issue with Wheeler. He's never going to the NBA. No one even thinks he can ever go to the NBA.

So why play him? He can't run a half court offense. he can't be trusted to run i the open court. He can't guard anyone. The other team gets to play defense 5 on 4. On offense they get to play 5 on 4. Yeah he led the SEC in assists. He also led in turnovers. And most of his turnovers are live ball turnovers.

Why does Cal play him?

Reactions: Blisterpac
I cannot understand Cal's playing of Wheeler. I know Cal gets the critisizm of "he's doing this or that for the guy's NBA career". I'm not sold on that but it's a non issue with Wheeler. He's never going to the NBA. No one even thinks he can ever go to the NBA.

So why play him? He can't run a half court offense. he can't be trusted to run i the open court. He can't guard anyone. The other team gets to play defense 5 on 4. On offense they get to play 5 on 4. Yeah he led the SEC in assists. He also led in turnovers. And most of his turnovers are live ball turnovers.

Why does Cal play him?
Only Cal knows, and he is not saying.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
We didn’t win yesterday with super offense. It was OK and our shooters played like they need to every game, but the defense was the best I’ve seen from this team in awhile…

Reactions: TJWalkersBurner

Why does Cal play him?

Not only does he play him, he asks things of him he can't give. No way the ball should be in his hands at the top of the key with the team depending on him to make a play. He just isn't that guy at this level.

If the game is up and down, then he is more than fine. If it isn't, he just isn't the best option

Spark Plug
Spark plug for what? Eratic play? A none factor from the perimeter? I mean no one guards him. A defensive liability? He is walk on quality at best. You play him even sparingly and his bad habits will kill the team. He’s no 6’5” type lock down defender who you an put in to shut someone down. He really offers little more than 5 fouls. This change of pace stuff too means wheeler plays at his hectic pace while others are left behind.

That’s Cap. Watch the game again and see how many times we were able to drive the lane with players other than Wheeler. Reeves went to the rim as did Theiro and Livingston. Wheelers man lives in the lane and prevents us from attacking the rim. That helped our spacing. Plus we played a top 5 defense yesterday. We didn’t get to the rim much against South Carolina and they are terrible.
Yeah that’s just wrong. We didn’t open up previously non-existent driving lanes. We didn’t create more outside looks. Didn’t open things up for Oscar inside. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT