ADVERTISEMENT

Cal: "They worry about the team..."

BlueCat43

Sophomore
Sep 21, 2010
Nicholasville, KY
"...I'm trying to worry about them."

This was a profound statement to me. It seems this team has made coaching a little easier for Cal. They are selfless and always thinking about the whole. They play for each other. This leaves Cal the task of making each piece better. As the pieces get better, so does the whole. If they can keep this mindset, there is really no limit to how special this team could be.

Having the combination of a a selfless group of guys and a players first coach seems to be a lethal mixture.

GO CATS!

Originally posted by will1976:
Whatever makes Cals job easier after his hip replacement. Now if his son could be the next walk on we keep him till he retires.
I am thinking that if we win it all this year (as I think we will) and then Cal's son joins the team and we win another in those 4 years, that Cal will stay long enough to at least tie UCLA. If we win #11 within 2-3 years of his son graduating (that would put Cal at 12-13 years here, he may stay a couple more just to see if he could pass them. If after his 15th year he still hasn't got #12, he retires and focuses on a charity foundation of some sort.

This is a bunch of speculation on my part obviously, but just a guess based on things Cal has said and done.

I'm happy to put my thoughts out here on what he said....

On Coach Cal's pre-ole miss statements :

I do think the team shows the proper mental attitude towards team improvement and doing the right thing for the team. So much so that Cal has to look at things for them individually, which can (and I think IS ) a good thing. They are very unselfish, yet sometimes playing unselfish can lead to an extra "one too many passes to your teammates" and things of that nature that result in a bad play or two. Yet this team doesn't fall into that trap hardly ever. this is a great sign of a great team, pairing it with the talent they possess and the depth this team has.

Cal's "looking out for them" (as individuals) are also because he's keeping it real with them when he first visits them on that first recruiting trip, to the time they leave the program, staying true to UK being a player's first program. He wants them to succeed as individuals both on and off the court, and to help them get to the next level so they have continuity when they go pro.

Personally, I love the fact that Cal does this. Very transparent, both for the kids and the fans at what they're doing behind the scenes, which we UK fans, eat up 24/7 and cannot get enough of. And for good reason too.

I've no complaints nor concerns about his take on things as they roll along, or in how he is running the program. It's all very productive, healthy, and is a positively reinforcing cycle for all involved.

My only worry, or let's say a concern :

After watching UK teams for nearly 40 years now, ultimately revolves around one thing.

To understand where I come from on this, I harken back to last year, and how I view the season as a whole.

Last year, ups and downs are a natural part of growth :

Preseason, much hype. The kids admit to buying into the possible 40-0 hype, and it hurt them as a team. They suffered a not so stellar regular season because they were freshmen, had a lot to learn, they simply had the talent but kinks had to be worked out.

By season's end, all the battles, the losses had taken a toll, but they kept a positive attitude towards everything that happened at the end, and Cal, ever the psychologically clever guy, made "the tweak" and they embraced it, bought into it and produced a NCAAT run for the ages. Fell short of the title when the stage *finally* got a little too big for them.

This year, it's being all put together in the right way, with care and mindfulness to all the details :

losing JR & Young, but gained more than what they lost, entered the season with a fresh attitude of working hard in coming back and not buying into the self-hype. Proper focus, MUCH better mental discipline as a whole (all for one, one for all) and the results are bearing fruit.

So, having said all that....

Back to the ultimate worry :

My "worry" is that the quest for going 40-0 finally gets building the inevitable pressure (especially during NCAAT games, and that at some point, they collectively crack, and lose a very tight game, perhaps at or near the very end of approaching 40-0. (nightmare scenario - 39-1 finish, losing in the title game. (NOOOOO!)

40-0 now appears as a realistic goal, at least 34-0 heading into the NCAAT, and then, it's gotta be "let's win the title" making 40-0 the ultimate goal (kinda like a pitcher looking for a no-hitter, knowing he can get one, and nobody on the team talks to him while it's going on).

The kids are only human, it's gotta be like that for the way we're chasing this particular kind of perfection here at UK, it's a unique kind inherent to UK ina a one of a kind way, striving for this 40-0 perfection.

We're going about all this in the right way - and best way, possible

In this case, UK players aren't talking about 40-0, instead doing the proper mental balancing act of taking it one game at a time, and improving both individually and as a team. they're doing everything fine, perfectly,I would even say. But I think that 40-0, while it would be SUPER COOL and ULTRA nice, is NOT the main goal. The main goal is to get better as a team, and as individuals, and win the title. A loss along the way shouldn't hurt that ultimate goal at all.

Epilogue !
roll.r191677.gif

(or better known as "yayy, FINALLY, the Runt is finished with his "war and peace" posting of the year !!!!!)

Hey, sorry this got to be such a long post, but I'm just kinda' talking here in a free form flowing train of thought. I think you, and everyone that reads this - gets my drift.

Right now, it's great to think of 40-0 as a fan, and I say we're blessed if we can do that, but they whole program is headed towards the future with the right mindset (one game at a time) and then let things fall where they may, with the goal of winning a title as the true penultimate goal (40-0 or not), and anything else that comes along the path, so much for the better.

So I'm not going to think "jinxy"-type thoughts as I enjoy just sitting back, watching this run.

Thanks to you, OP, and the rest of everyone that read all this. Hope the time I put in is appreciated.

Go Big Blue ! Love to my BBN from the Runt !

(ps - GOD I'll be so happy this lull is over and we get back to playing games again, starting tonight, and I'll not have to make such long posts!! *whew* !!!
eek.r191677.gif
)

Originally posted by runt#69:

I do think the team shows the proper mental attitude towards team improvement and doing the right thing for the team. So much so that Cal has to look at things for them individually, which can (and I think IS ) a good thing. They are very unselfish, yet sometimes playing unselfish can lead to an extra "one too many passes to your teammates" and things of that nature that result in a bad play or two. Yet this team doesn't fall into that trap hardly ever. this is a great sign of a great team, pairing it with the talent they possess and the depth this team has.

Cal's "looking out for them" (as individuals) are also because he's keeping it real with them when he first visits them on that first recruiting trip, to the time they leave the program, staying true to UK being a player's first program. He wants them to succeed as individuals both on and off the court, and to help them get to the next level so they have continuity when they go pro.

Personally, I love the fact that Cal does this. Very transparent, both for the kids and the fans at what they're doing behind the scenes, which we UK fans, eat up 24/7 and cannot get enough of. And for good reason too.

I've no complaints nor concerns about his take on things as they roll along, or in how he is running the program. It's all very productive, healthy, and is a positively reinforcing cycle for all involved.

After watching UK teams for nearly 40 years now, ultimately revolves around one thing.

To understand where I come from on this, I harken back to last year, and how I view the season as a whole.

Preseason, much hype. The kids admit to buying into the possible 40-0 hype, and it hurt them as a team. They suffered a not so stellar regular season because they were freshmen, had a lot to learn, they simply had the talent but kinks had to be worked out.

By season's end, all the battles, the losses had taken a toll, but they kept a positive attitude towards everything that happened at the end, and Cal, ever the psychologically clever guy, made "the tweak" and they embraced it, bought into it and produced a NCAAT run for the ages. Fell short of the title when the stage *finally* got a little too big for them.

This year, it's being all put together in the right way, with care and mindfulness to all the details :

losing JR & Young, but gained more than what they lost, entered the season with a fresh attitude of working hard in coming back and not buying into the self-hype. Proper focus, MUCH better mental discipline as a whole (all for one, one for all) and the results are bearing fruit.

My "worry" is that the quest for going 40-0 finally gets building the inevitable pressure (especially during NCAAT games, and that at some point, they collectively crack, and lose a very tight game, perhaps at or near the very end of approaching 40-0. (nightmare scenario - 39-1 finish, losing in the title game. (NOOOOO!)

40-0 now appears as a realistic goal, at least 34-0 heading into the NCAAT, and then, it's gotta be "let's win the title" making 40-0 the ultimate goal (kinda like a pitcher looking for a no-hitter, knowing he can get one, and nobody on the team talks to him while it's going on).

The kids are only human, it's gotta be like that for the way we're chasing this particular kind of perfection here at UK, it's a unique kind inherent to UK ina a one of a kind way, striving for this 40-0 perfection.

In this case, UK players aren't talking about 40-0, instead doing the proper mental balancing act of taking it one game at a time, and improving both individually and as a team. they're doing everything fine, perfectly,I would even say. But I think that 40-0, while it would be SUPER COOL and ULTRA nice, is NOT the main goal. The main goal is to get better as a team, and as individuals, and win the title. A loss along the way shouldn't hurt that ultimate goal at all.

Epilogue !
roll.r191677.gif

(or better known as "yayy, FINALLY, the Runt is finished with his "war and peace" posting of the year !!!!!)

Hey, sorry this got to be such a long post, but I'm just kinda' talking here in a free form flowing train of thought. I think you, and everyone that reads this - gets my drift.

Right now, it's great to think of 40-0 as a fan, and I say we're blessed if we can do that, but they whole program is headed towards the future with the right mindset (one game at a time) and then let things fall where they may, with the goal of winning a title as the true penultimate goal (40-0 or not), and anything else that comes along the path, so much for the better.

So I'm not going to think "jinxy"-type thoughts as I enjoy just sitting back, watching this run.

Thanks to you, OP, and the rest of everyone that read all this. Hope the time I put in is appreciated.

(ps - GOD I'll be so happy this lull is over and we get back to playing games again, starting tonight, and I'll not have to make such long posts!! *whew* !!!
eek.r191677.gif
)
Really good post. The thing that comforts me about this concern is that their minds are in a different place. They play for each other and are constantly trying to get better. I've never seen chemistry on a team like this except for the 1996 team. They aren't even thinking about their opponents now, just trying to beat themselves. They're almost mentally bulletproof at this point. Even if their minds wander to the 40-0 clutter a little bit, their training will keep them focused in the moment.

Epilogue !
roll.r191677.gif

eek.r191677.gif
)
I do greatly appreciate your take and agree with all that you said.

I really struggle to not compare this team to anyone along this journey. They are not the '96 Cats or the '12 Cats. The one thing that I will say that they do compare to both, at least in my eyes, is that feeling going through the season that we are witnessing something truly special. As good as last years team was, I never got that feeling. Regardless of how everything turns out, whether 40-0 or not, whether we win the title or not, I do not think it changes that this team will be looked back upon as something truly special.

Now, if we do win it all and win every game along the way (which is crazy to say but looks to be quite possible at this point) that just moves this team to a whole other level...one of epic and historic proportions.

For now, I will just sit back and enjoy the ride as it promises to be a very, very good one.

Epilogue !
roll.r191677.gif

eek.r191677.gif
)
Enjoyed the post,who is going to play Cal in the movie version
3dgrin.r191677.gif
(had to have a little fun but your take is well thought out)

I think this has been an easy team for Cal to coach because it's the right mixture of elements. You have some veteran guys, and all of them probably got humbled a little bit, either last year, or last year and the year before. The freshman class, while not as athletically gifted as a lot of his other classes (and they don't need to be, because there are plenty of other guys on the roster who are elite athletes), has more developed players than normal for freshmen, skilled guys who also have a mature attitude. It's a great mix.

Originally posted by docholiday51:

Epilogue !
roll.r191677.gif

eek.r191677.gif
)
Enjoyed the post,who is going to play Cal in the movie version
Ray-Liotta-Net-Worth-600x531.jpg

This post was edited on 1/6 11:25 AM by BlueCat43

They are a very unselfish and tight knit bunch. This is certainly a special group and and pleasure to watch .

1z5oi1i.jpg

I believe that people don't always believe what Cal says about his teams, because he is usually trying to sell them while talking about them. What I am referring to, is when he called the 2013 team un coachable. I believe that it was 100% true. This season he has stated that this platoon system doesn't work if the players don't allow it to. That isn't coach speak or whatever it's called. That statement is 100% true also. These kids can try to hog the ball, and shoot every trip down the floor because of the limited minutes that they are getting. If this system continues to work,(That means every rotation player seeing success, and improvement throughout the year) there will be no way to recruit against UK. As arrogant, and entitled as I can be as a UK fan, I almost have to pinch myself. We are seeing a run equivalent to U.C.L.A's run given the new landscape, and parity in college basketball. Who else has made 3 F4's, and 1 elite 8 in the last 5 years with a NC. Not to mention a top 2 recruiting class every year.

I'm glad for Cal's sake and for the team's sake that there are veterans on the squad. Rather than having to recreate a new team culture (because the freshmen don't know anything), the new guys can learn from the older guys how things are done, at least to some extent (remembering that your veterans are still just 19 or 20). I remember a teacher friend once telling me that a good teacher spends two weeks with the primary focus of rules/policies/procedures (basically, how things are going to be done), so that instruction could hit the ground running. I suspect it's much the same with getting freshman players every season.

Guys, there's going to be no such thing as "the pitcher going for the no-hitter but nobody talks to him during the game." No. Not with 40-0. If UK continues to win, the unbeaten record WILL become bigger news. The ONLY way this team accomplishes what their end goal would be is...embrace it and know they are going to be hunted by everyone or get their loss out of the way.

There will be no avoiding the hype as the season goes on.

In yrs past Cal has been very minimal in his praise to his teams. But not this yr. I mean he just raves and raves about these guys and how they are all team oriented and the proof is in the pudding.

I said after the KU beat down that no one would get within single digits of UK.
Well, UL lost by 8 and it would have been 10 or more if BKH didn't call the phantom foul on Aaron.

That said and I think we will all see as this team gets better and better that blowouts and laughers are going to be very prevalent.

I think we see one tonight.

Ole Miss is in a world of trouble tonight, make no mistaken about it.

This post was edited on 1/6 6:33 PM by KWilt43atbuzz

Originally posted by KA4Prez:
Guys, there's going to be no such thing as "the pitcher going for the no-hitter but nobody talks to him during the game." No. Not with 40-0. If UK continues to win, the unbeaten record WILL become bigger news. The ONLY way this team accomplishes what their end goal would be is...embrace it and know they are going to be hunted by everyone or get their loss out of the way.

There will be no avoiding the hype as the season goes on.
Thanks for the good comments on my post, and I have to say to KA4Prez, great take on that. I think that, once it comes down to the NCAAT that we really HAVE to embrace it at that point, we have no choice by then. I guess what I was talking about was "up until that point" (entering the NCAAT). Which I should've clarified, is where I was intending to use the pitcher and no-hitter analogy.

There really is no avoiding it. I just don't want to see that ultimately become a distraction towards the real goal, but sure, if we get to 34-0, there's no denying it. Might as well assume the role with confidence and a quiet, yet humble, swagger to carry us through until the end.

ADVERTISEMENT