ADVERTISEMENT

Cal since 2016

This has been discussed many times, but it's undeniable that the Calipari era has gone downhill since that horrible loss to Wisconsin.

Since 2016, Cal has:

*Lost to 22 unranked teams.

*Compiled a disappointing 22-18 record against Top 25 teams.

*Suffered embarrassing NCAA Tournament losses to sub-par coaches Tom Crean and Bruce Weber.

*Compiled a 5-7 record against Rick Barnes.

*Failed to make a Final Four.

I'm sure someone will inevitably respond by asking, "Would you rather have Tubby back?" Truth is, I don't see much difference between Calipari's past six seasons and the Tubby era.
Just proves a good coach with decent talent that actually know how to play team ball can beat the Cats a large percentage of the time under our current system.

I lived through ’58 - 98. To me, you are a new comer. My expectatio is that a team is playing its best ball. I pretty much expect what I see due to the inexperience and immaturity of our players. Winning something, anything at a national level is exceedingly difficult. The mere statement that you expect even one reveals you have no appreciation of the difficulty of the task. I expect that we are in the hunt for a title most every year. Cal delivers that.
I appreciate your opinion. You’ve seen some of the all time greats that I wish I could have watched. And thank you. Sometimes I feel old lol. I guess I’m not articulating my thought better. 8 titles in over 100 plus years playing the game, clearly it’s difficult. Maybe it’s just that
I lived through ’58 - 98. To me, you are a new comer. My expectatio is that a team is playing its best ball. I pretty much expect what I see due to the inexperience and immaturity of our players. Winning something, anything at a national level is exceedingly difficult. The mere statement that you expect even one reveals you have no appreciation of the difficulty of the task. I expect that we are in the hunt for a title most every year. Cal delivers that.
And to be clear, I’m not calling for Cal to leave. I don’t know who would be better.

Yes he seemed to be struggling the first 5 years plu 2017🙄 yes we get it... you have hated Cal since day one. The man was accused of cheating since day one as well.
That’s not the struggle I was referring to. I was a major Cal fan the first 5-7 years. The last 5 or so has totally turned me off to him.

Since he was hired, we have the most final 4 appearances, most elite 8s, most sweet 16s, and 0 1st round exits. Duke has a few TERRIBLE 1st round losses. How can you possibly be disappointed in that!? Villanova has 2 titles during that time, but other than those 2 seasons, Jay Wright hasn't been to the 2nd weekend of the ncaa tournament.
But most of that success was the first half of his tenure. We're talking about the direction of the program. If we're judging his success by the last 5 years then we are a fringe top 15 team. 2016 was a 4 seed and we finished with 9 losses and bounced in the second round to Tom Crean. 2017 was a 2 seed, finished with 5 losses and bounced in E8. 2018 was a 5 seed, had 11 losses and bounced in the S16 to Bruce Weber. 2019 was a 2 seed, finished with 7 losses and bounced in E8 to Bruce Pearl. 2020 the tourney was canceled but we finished with 6 losses and ranked 8th in the final AP poll.

Those stats are ok for most programs but we are UK. We had two out of five years where we complete duds.

Reactions: Bkone7466
But most of that success was the first half of his tenure. We're talking about the direction of the program. If we're judging his success by the last 5 years then we are a fringe top 15 team. 2016 was a 4 seed and we finished with 9 losses and bounced in the second round to Tom Crean. 2017 was a 2 seed, finished with 5 losses and bounced in E8. 2018 was a 5 seed, had 11 losses and bounced in the S16 to Bruce Weber. 2019 was a 2 seed, finished with 7 losses and bounced in E8 to Bruce Pearl. 2020 the tourney was canceled but we finished with 6 losses and ranked 8th in the final AP poll.

Those stats are ok for most programs but we are UK. We had two out of five years where we complete duds.
I cringe when UK fans (typically casual) respond to fans of other programs who have 2 titles this decade with “yeah, but who has the most draft picks!”

We all kno despite hagans debacle at the end, which could of been the exact tweek that team needed. Could of very well been a back to the final 4. Covid sux. Could of been s16 exit, e8 exit. We dont kno. But cals 1st 5 years here was on fire. Cant disagree with that. Ship, runnerup, multiple final 4's, but the last 5 years we havent done horrible.. Just not wow factor. Can we concentrate on the team we got? Maybe they get us back there? Since the last 5 or so teams came up painfully short. Doesn't mean this team will. I remember atleast 8 teams if not 9 tbh. That fought in closing min of games. Some went our way. Unfortunately the last half hasnt. Im just so darn happy, this team has a serious chance to get were they to need to be and there is a season. Who the heck wants cal gone is crazy. Do we lockup sky clark? Along with all the others we have had, thankfully we missed on sketchy. Do we have the fun we had during pandemic with hardly no hope of sports. Ky was Primetime. That nba bubble was 1 of best times of my life. Ky went the heck off finally in the nba. Do we not got 2012 hanging in the rafters. 1998 was a long wait. Im with the frustrated crowd. But im not with cal sux. Cal needs gone crowd. I only feel that way for few secs when we loose in ncaat. Not every waking day, not every waking post. Brooks out isnt helping 1 bit. Great defense tonight will help our latent offense. Im with cal!

Every Elite program has had dud seasons at least two the last 5 years. And to count 2017 as anything but a great season is wrong. Also every team that beats you has a coach with a name. When Duke, UVA, and KU get dropped early it’s usually by a team with a coach who’s name isn’t even known.

I completely agree to say the first 5 years were much better that the last 5 but to say just a top 15 fringe team is simply not true. And after the UF comeback last year plus winning the SEC by 2 games this team was definitely trending up.

Lol can you not compare apples to apples for the last 5 years.

If anybody wants to be a complete moron and compare Tubby and Cal, let them. All I know is that I'm still having a ton of fun following UK basketball and I'm done worrying about the people with upside down smiles because mean old Cal has stolen their fun. smh

Reactions: The_Answer1313

The NCAA tournament is the toughest playoff tournament in the country to win. Apparently including you, don't understand that. No other tournament do you have to win 6 games in a row to be champion.

This has been discussed many times, but it's undeniable that the Calipari era has gone downhill since that horrible loss to Wisconsin.

Since 2016, Cal has:

*Lost to 22 unranked teams.

*Compiled a disappointing 22-18 record against Top 25 teams.

*Suffered embarrassing NCAA Tournament losses to sub-par coaches Tom Crean and Bruce Weber.

*Compiled a 5-7 record against Rick Barnes.

*Failed to make a Final Four.

I'm sure someone will inevitably respond by asking, "Would you rather have Tubby back?" Truth is, I don't see much difference between Calipari's past six seasons and the Tubby era.
22-18 v ranked teams really stands out to me.

Reactions: morgousky
Going 40-0 in 2015 was supposed to be his Arc de Triomphe, but losing in the Final Four and Duke going on to win the title broke him. I'm not sure if he'll ever recover.

If he’s that frail, gtfo. He’s butchering a lot of our accomplishments and records right now.

I think it’s excuses and bullshit. Cal doesn’t want to let go of his OAD NBA baby, he wants to be the NBA players coach, and if that means losing college basketball games so be it.

Im sick of hearing how 2015 “hurts Cal”. Get the f over it or go coach at another program. I’m so glad the vast majority of fans are slowly starting to wake to this bullshit.

The problem is Cal needs to adapt his system more to the new style of basketball. Shooting 3s more than post play, running our offense through our best players and not through everyone. His system is too far out of date
. Shooting 3s is not our problem. Making them is.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I was suspended once, only, because you cried and cried to the moderators. Hilarious!!
Baller Cal (Cardstink) has thrown around so many outright lies about things people have said. I’m surprised he gets to stay around. Probably the biggest instigator on this site.

Having said all that, I feel like he might be a teenager, so sometimes I give him a pass.

Baller Cal (Cardstink) has thrown around so many outright lies about things people have said. I’m surprised he gets to stay around. Probably the biggest instigator on this site.

Having said all that, I feel like he might be a teenager, so sometimes I give him a pass.

I have no clue what you are talking about, but it looks like you are accusing me of being someone else. So basically, you are calling me a liar and trying to instigate....while telling a lie and trying to instigate. LOL.

Hope you get your issues worked out. Hypocrisy is ugly.

• Love
Reactions: Jamal Mercer
I have no clue what you are talking about, but it looks like you are accusing me of being someone else. So basically, you are calling me a liar....while telling a lie.

Hope you get your issues worked out. Hypocrisy is ugly.

of course you don’t 😂😂😂

yep, you’re 14 years old....tops. Have a good day sparky!

If he’s that frail, gtfo. He’s butchering a lot of our accomplishments and records right now.

I think it’s excuses and bullshit. Cal doesn’t want to let go of his OAD NBA baby, he wants to be the NBA players coach, and if that means losing college basketball games so be it.

Im sick of hearing how 2015 “hurts Cal”. Get the f over it or go coach at another program. I’m so glad the vast majority of fans are slowly starting to wake to this bullshit.
Cal never said it hurt and broke him. Dumbasses on here did. Many fans have never gotten over 2015 and that’s on them.

Cal never said it hurt and broke him. Dumbasses on here did. Many fans have never gotten over 2015 and that’s on them.

I know. Cal has 10 million reasons per yer to not gaf.

But Cal does not put Kentucky first, not even close. I think it's time he moved on and sold his speech to another program. We need new blood, a new vision, and we need to get back to it being about Kentucky.

Here's a comparison to point out just how LUDICROUS and FOOLISH all these posts like this one have been that carve out a five-year period beginning in 2016 to attack a coach like Calipari who has a proven track record of success:

In the five seasons between 2005 and 2009 Duke and Coach K DIDN'T REACH THE ELITE EIGHT even once.

That's right: Cal's worst five years at Kentucky are much more successful than a recent stretch by K: Cal has two Elite Eights in that span, one that ended in an OT loss and one marred by horrific officiating that still went to a final second shot. Of course, K has won two titles in the years since his five-year stretch of not advancing past the Sweet 16. And so will Cal. At a minimum. Unless imbeciles run him off.
You are the worst pumper on this board. You rarely make sense, you just regurgitate the same crap over and over. You will be the reason this program turns to Indiana if the collective aren't careful. People like you pick a boy and roll, you never consider being wrong, and here we are.

You rip Indiana constantly, but sound identical to their fanbase.

Looks like coach K is trending in the wrong direction.

Coach K has 5 national titles, takes Cals recruits, beats him badly, and puts his program first.

You're too decent of a poster to talk so foolish. Cal makes 10 million per year, hundreds of millions over his time at UK.

Reactions: michael895
Coach K has 5 national titles, takes Cals recruits, beats him badly, and puts his program first.

You're too decent of a poster to talk so foolish. Cal makes 10 million per year, hundreds of millions over his time at UK.
I was playing on the whole time frame thing. Guy picks and chooses.

If anybody wants to be a complete moron and compare Tubby and Cal, let them. All I know is that I'm still having a ton of fun following UK basketball and I'm done worrying about the people with upside down smiles because mean old Cal has stolen their fun. smh
The more accurate comparison is Joe B Hall. Cal and Hall are about to have very similar resumes and results as the UK
Coach. Which is fine. Love Coach Hall. But certainly there was the promise of more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT