ADVERTISEMENT

Cal since 2016

I know it’s only been 2 games but they sure haven’t looked like it. Fox, Monk, on and on you knew very fast these guys were a notch above. I haven’t seen that yet with these two.

Agreed. Not a knock on them, they’re good players. But to me they are more SGA and Kevin Knox than they are De’aron Fox or fill in the blank all American elite guy we’ve had in the past

Going 40-0 in 2015 was supposed to be his Arc de Triomphe, but losing in the Final Four and Duke going on to win the title broke him. I'm not sure if he'll ever recover.

HIM...…...what about the fans??????

He had the 2 best teams in college basketball & still lost, because of his inability to coach during crunch time

Any grade school would have kept going inside to KAT, but not Cal, he let the twins take over & throw that game away

HIM...…...what about the fans??????

He had the 2 best teams in college basketball & still lost, because of his inability to coach during crunch time

Any grade school would have kept going inside to KAT, but not Cal, he let the twins take over & throw that game away
Don’t forget in 2012 we had a 21 point lead when Cal froze up and put the slow down on, won by 7. Self was right, another two minutes and KU probably wins because Cal went slow ball.

Don’t forget in 2012 we had a 21 point lead when Cal froze up and put the slow down on, won by 7. Self was right, another two minutes and KU probably wins because Cal went slow ball.
Really??? You even bitch win they won it all.

Reactions: MWes11
that's only because cal is now down with the struggle and appeases the grievance crowd. Did you think it was about winning or something ?
I think Cal’s been down with the struggle since day one here. Hell his own kid does everything he can to seem like he came up from nothing. He’s got a major identity crisis.

Reactions: TIE543
When Cal was hired, I remember reading a Greg Doyle article about how the rest of college basketball should be very afraid. Kentucky was going to win multiple championships and dominate the game. I’m not unhappy with the Cal era but I will admit I’m disappointed.
Since he was hired, we have the most final 4 appearances, most elite 8s, most sweet 16s, and 0 1st round exits. Duke has a few TERRIBLE 1st round losses. How can you possibly be disappointed in that!? Villanova has 2 titles during that time, but other than those 2 seasons, Jay Wright hasn't been to the 2nd weekend of the ncaa tournament.

I think Cal’s been down with the struggle since day one here. Hell his own kid does everything he can to seem like he came up from nothing. He’s got a major identity crisis.
Yes he seemed to be struggling the first 5 years plu 2017🙄 yes we get it... you have hated Cal since day one. The man was accused of cheating since day one as well.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Since he was hired, we have the most final 4 appearances, most elite 8s, most sweet 16s, and 0 1st round exits. Duke has a few TERRIBLE 1st round losses. How can you possibly be disappointed in that!? Villanova has 2 titles during that time, but other than those 2 seasons, Jay Wright hasn't been to the 2nd weekend of the ncaa tournament.
Eh. I really don’t care about Sweet 16s. And all the Final Fours were in the first 5 years. I don’t know. Like I said, thinking about that article, I saw John Walls coming every year. I didn’t see losing to mid majors, no matter how good they may be, at home.

The issue is we have not had elite PG play for the past couple of seasons. Our PG cannot break someone down off the dribble. I am not totally worried as of yet, but I can see the frustration here. The hype around this team has been non stop since May. I think once we move Clarke over to the PG spot, we will see a better team. Also, brooks will be a great addition to the lineup. Richmond just dogged us, simple as that. They were better in every way. I believe we will be elite in March, but we are going to take some lumps early.

The problem is Cal needs to adapt his system more to the new style of basketball. Shooting 3s more than post play, running our offense through our best players and not through everyone. His system is too far out of date

Don’t forget Cal had a NIT appearance as well. Don’t go full MSM and leave out facts that don’t fit your narrative.

Reactions: Catman100
Don’t forget Cal had a NIT appearance as well. Don’t go full MSM and leave out facts that don’t fit your narrative.

You respond to his post with but but but Cal has been to an NIT ! How pathetic can you get? Funny how you are NOWHERE to be found on this board until a loss......and then you set up camp here. smh

If you take that as a bitch, you have issues. Instead of discussing my point you go asshat?

I am a Cal fan but it’s a light concerning that he doesn’t have 1 more title. Had a

Didn’t call you a bitch but yes you were bitching about a shrinking lead to diminish any Cal success. You want to call me an asshat... well you are the expert at being one so I’ll defer to your judgement

Why don’t we consider Cal’s entire body of work? Why do we cherry pick the rare negatives? Oh, wait that doesn’t support the agenda of hate for Kentucky basketball. I forgot.
I certainly do not hate Kentucky basketball. It’s one of my favorite things on the planet as a matter of fact. When Cal was hired, the haters were so scared because EVERYBODY could see he was going to win multiple titles here because he was always going to get the best players. So yeah, it’s a little disappointing to me that hasn’t happened.

This has been discussed many times, but it's undeniable that the Calipari era has gone downhill since that horrible loss to Wisconsin.

Since 2016, Cal has:

*Lost to 22 unranked teams.

*Compiled a disappointing 22-18 record against Top 25 teams.

*Suffered embarrassing NCAA Tournament losses to sub-par coaches Tom Crean and Bruce Weber.

*Compiled a 5-7 record against Rick Barnes.

*Failed to make a Final Four.

I'm sure someone will inevitably respond by asking, "Would you rather have Tubby back?" Truth is, I don't see much difference between Calipari's past six seasons and the Tubby era.
I would be curious if Cal even realizes these stats . I would love for him to read them and see what his response would be . After watching that over-the-top video telling us to be mad at him and not the players , I believe he thinks everyone worships him .

I certainly do not hate Kentucky basketball. It’s one of my favorite things on the planet as a matter of fact. When Cal was hired, the haters were so scared because EVERYBODY could see he was going to win multiple titles here because he was always going to get the best players. So yeah, it’s a little disappointing to me that hasn’t happened.
So all this animosity is due to your initial extremely unreasonable expectations. Titles are exceedingly difficult to win. Expecting a title in any year is really naive.

Didn’t call you a bitch but yes you were bitching about a shrinking lead to diminish any Cal success. You want to call me an asshat... well you are the expert at being one so I’ll defer to your judgement
Yep. You didn’t deserve that remark. For the most part you have been civil. My apologies. I am trying to be better, but I slip sometimes.

I would be curious if Cal even realizes these stats . I would love for him to read them and see what his response would be . After watching that over-the-top video telling us to be mad at him and not the players , I believe he thinks everyone worships him .
He either reads it or someone reports to him what is being said. That was made obvious when Cal complained to the owners of the board asking them to tamp down the negative comments about his support of BLM. I even got banned from a thread for using the term.

Yep. You didn’t deserve that remark. For the most part you have been civil. My apologies. I am trying to be better, but I slip sometimes.
No problem. We’ve always been cool and I shouldn’t have made the bitching remark.

He either reads it or someone reports to him what is being said. That was made obvious when Cal complained to the owners of the board asking them to tamp down the negative comments about his support of BLM. I even got banned from a thread for using the term.
THAT really happened ! I must have missed all that !

You respond to his post with but but but Cal has been to an NIT ! How pathetic can you get? Funny how you are NOWHERE to be found on this board until a loss......and then you set up camp here. smh

Usually agree with you in the Political Thread, but we not on the same frequency here. The superstar support Cal gets on this board has a lot to do with accomplishments that ended in 2015. What have you done for me lately seems to be lost on a lot of folks. Since the Wisconsin loss and Duke Championship, we haven't been to the final four, even with tons of NBA talent, not with a path opening up like an empty highway in 2018, and with having to beat a team we had already beaten twice without their star player in 2019.

I cant find anybody in my circle that is all-in on Cal anymore, and that does not come up only after a loss. That is pretty surprising to me, because I have a lot of friends and family that have been loyal UK fans for 40-60 years. He has pretty much changed the UK brand to something that is not really likeable if he does not bring FF's and Nattys to the table. With brand new players every year, with Cal himself saying his legacy is not about championships, the enthusiasm level hasn't been this low since Tubby.

Cal brought a lot of excitement when he signed on, but if you don't think things have changed a lot in the last 4-5 years, I don't know what to tell you. Just my opinion, and like aceholes, I know everyone has one.

THAT really happened ! I must have missed all that !
It did. So I took a long break from RR. Seems as if we are now living in a country that has a constitution protecting free speech only to see a high level of censorship. Never thought I would love to see the day that our rights get stripped away, but here we are.

Reactions: dezyDeco
Usually agree with you in the Political Thread, but we not on the same frequency here. The superstar support Cal gets on this board has a lot to do with accomplishments that ended in 2015. What have you done for me lately seems to be lost on a lot of folks. Since the Wisconsin loss and Duke Championship, we haven't been to the final four, even with tons of NBA talent, not with a path opening up like an empty highway in 2018, and with having to beat a team we had already beaten twice without their star player in 2019.

I cant find anybody in my circle that is all-in on Cal anymore, and that does not come up only after a loss. That is pretty surprising to me, because I have a lot of friends and family that have been loyal UK fans for 40-60 years. He has pretty much changed the UK brand to something that is not really likeable if he does not bring FF's and Nattys to the table. With brand new players every year, with Cal himself saying his legacy is not about championships, the enthusiasm level hasn't been this low since Tubby.

Cal brought a lot of excitement when he signed on, but if you don't think things have changed a lot in the last 4-5 years, I don't know what to tell you. Just my opinion, and like aceholes, I know everyone has one.

I'm a fan of the entire resume, not just when times are good. I know I'm hard to come by in this "I want it and I want it now/all the time world. I would be MISERABLE if we had no hope before the season started. A lot of our fans will eventually get what they, for some dumb reason, are wishing for: A team capable of going deep in the tournament once every 4 years.

It did. So I took a long break from RR. Seems as if we are now living in a country that has a constitution protecting free speech only to see a high level of censorship. Never thought I would love to see the day that our rights get stripped away, but here we are.
I agree with you . I actually avoided the board and ESPECIALLY threads on the Cal and blm back then cause I knew it would get ugly .

So all this animosity is due to your initial extremely unreasonable expectations. Titles are exceedingly difficult to win. Expecting a title in any year is really naive.
Lol. What animosity? I’m simply stating what I thought was going to happen 11 years ago. And I wasn’t the only one. Were you just hoping we’d win one championship under Cal? FYI I’ve been following UK since 1987-88 season so, yeah, I get championships are not guaranteed.

Lol. What animosity? I’m simply stating what I thought was going to happen 11 years ago. And I wasn’t the only one. Were you just hoping we’d win one championship under Cal? FYI I’ve been following UK since 1987-88 season so, yeah, I get championships are not guaranteed.

I lived through ’58 - 98. To me, you are a new comer. My expectatio is that a team is playing its best ball. I pretty much expect what I see due to the inexperience and immaturity of our players. Winning something, anything at a national level is exceedingly difficult. The mere statement that you expect even one reveals you have no appreciation of the difficulty of the task. I expect that we are in the hunt for a title most every year. Cal delivers that.

Difference is Tubby left us with crap recruits. I'm sure the same thing will happen with Cal but at least he's bringing in hope unlike the crap Tubby was giving us
Since the majority of Cal's roster turns over every year, and the freshman view it as a failure to come back for year two, what exactly would be left for a new coach?

Edit - Sorry I see now fisherscat made a very similar point already.

ADVERTISEMENT