ADVERTISEMENT

Cal since 2016

Porky Pigskin33

Gold Member
Oct 17, 2017
This has been discussed many times, but it's undeniable that the Calipari era has gone downhill since that horrible loss to Wisconsin.

Since 2016, Cal has:

*Lost to 22 unranked teams.

*Compiled a disappointing 22-18 record against Top 25 teams.

*Suffered embarrassing NCAA Tournament losses to sub-par coaches Tom Crean and Bruce Weber.

*Compiled a 5-7 record against Rick Barnes.

*Failed to make a Final Four.

I'm sure someone will inevitably respond by asking, "Would you rather have Tubby back?" Truth is, I don't see much difference between Calipari's past six seasons and the Tubby era.

This has been discussed many times, but it's undeniable that the Calipari era has gone downhill since that horrible loss to Wisconsin.

Since 2016, Cal has:

*Suffered embarrassing NCAA Tournament losses to sub-par coaches Tom Crean and Bruce Weber.

I'm sure someone will inevitably respond by asking, "Would you rather have Tubby back?" Truth is, I don't see much difference between Calipari's past six seasons and the Tubby era.
If you post facts you will get attacked and maybe even a ban by fact checking here.

This is the way I look at it: if the team is going to turn over completely every year, and I’m not going to get to really know any of the players, then we better be producing on the court at a high level. Otherwise, the model doesn’t work for me.

Each person can define “high level“ as they wish. To me, the past few years have been borderline. it could go either way for me in the next season or two.

Since 2016, Cal has:

add in failed to get a 1 seed. i went back as far as the early 1990's and couldnt find 5 year stretches without a 1 seed for KU, Duke, or UNC.

Relying on non-elite freshmen has been the difference. That's why I still think this current group could do good things because Boston and Clarke are a notch above most of the freshmen we've had here the last few years.

Exactly. No AD’s, Randles, KAT’s, etc makes all the difference.

When Cal was hired, I remember reading a Greg Doyle article about how the rest of college basketball should be very afraid. Kentucky was going to win multiple championships and dominate the game. I’m not unhappy with the Cal era but I will admit I’m disappointed.

When Cal was hired, I remember reading a Greg Doyle article about how the rest of college basketball should be very afraid. Kentucky was going to win multiple championships and dominate the game. I’m not unhappy with the Cal era but I will admit I’m disappointed.
We were probably going to win it all last year. So there's that.

Exactly. No AD’s, Randles, KAT’s, etc makes all the difference.
Relying on non-elite freshmen has been the difference. That's why I still think this current group could do good things because Boston and Clarke are a notch above most of the freshmen we've had here the last few years.
I know it’s only been 2 games but they sure haven’t looked like it. Fox, Monk, on and on you knew very fast these guys were a notch above. I haven’t seen that yet with these two.

Resume A (5 seasons)
131-40 record
2 Elite Eights
2 Outright SEC Titles
9-5 NCAA Tournament Record
2 SEC Tournament Titles

Resume B (5 seasons)
140-39 record
2 Elite Eights
2 Outright SEC Titles (3 Overall)
9-4 NCAA Tournament Record
2 SEC Tournament Titles

Resume A: Tubby Smith’s Last 5 Years at Kentucky
Resume B: John Calipari’s Last 5 Years at Kentucky

Resume A (5 seasons)
131-40 record
2 Elite Eights
2 Outright SEC Titles
9-5 NCAA Tournament Record
2 SEC Tournament Titles

Resume B (5 seasons)
140-39 record
2 Elite Eights
2 Outright SEC Titles (3 Overall)
9-4 NCAA Tournament Record
2 SEC Tournament Titles

Resume A: Tubby Smith’s Last 5 Years at Kentucky
Resume B: John Calipari’s Last 5 Years at Kentucky

Difference is Tubby left us with crap recruits. I'm sure the same thing will happen with Cal but at least he's bringing in hope unlike the crap Tubby was giving us

Reactions: Baller Cal
We've been spiraling into mediocrity ever since Wisconsin and everyone outside the program can see it, those of us inside the program are the only ones arguing about it. Some of us are facing up to reality. If Cal changes his mindset, yeah, we can get back to kicking ass and taking names. The reality is we've seen 5 yrs of mediocrity. Does no one remember how miserable last year's team was to watch at times. Then we have a break through against Florida (which was a hell of a comeback, no doubt) and all of a sudden it's "well I think we're finally back on track and ready to run to the title!" What the **** basketball were you people watching that makes you truly believe that in your heart of hearts? Such rampant naivety. Wake the **** up already.

This is the way I look at it: if the team is going to turn over completely every year, and I’m not going to get to really know any of the players, then we better be producing on the court at a high level. Otherwise, the model doesn’t work for me.

At Kentucky, the expectation is producing on the court at an extremely high level every year. It doesn't matter if the recruiting is more Tubby-like where you get many more multiple year players or more Cal-like where one and done is a very common theme.

Difference is Tubby left us with crap recruits. I'm sure the same thing will happen with Cal but at least he's bringing in hope unlike the crap Tubby was giving us
What do you think UK’s roster is going to look like when Cal leaves? If it follows the norm, there will be nobody returning for the next coach. That is going to be a 100% complete rebuild.

What do you think UK’s roster is going to look like when Cal leaves? If it follows the norm, there will be nobody returning for the next coach. That is going to be a 100% complete rebuild.

I think you misread my post. I'm in agreement Cal last roster will likely be all in the NBA leaving us a bare cubbard.

The difference between Tubby and Cal is the roster construction based on 4 year players and 1 n done. Tubby with his recruiting left us in far worse shape when you consider the talent he left us. Cal replacement will be bringing in mostly freshman I assume.

I think you misread my post. I'm in agreement Cal last roster will likely be all in the NBA leaving us a bare cubbard.

The difference between Tubby and Cal is the roster construction based on 4 year players and 1 n done. Tubby with his recruiting left us in far worse shape when you consider the talent he left us. Cal replacement will be bringing in mostly freshman I assume.
I understand but do not see the difference or make distinctions. When Cal leaves, because of his lack of building continuity, the cupboard will be bare. That is going to be a rebuild job just the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT