ADVERTISEMENT

Cal seems genuinely worried.

Yeah, when your entire family spends thousands and travels with the team all over the country...I think WE is okay to say. You can call that negative, but I will call it realistic? Nothing wrong with losing some games in preparation for a tournament run.

Can't believe the negativity I'm reading here. There isn't one SEC that wouldn't trade their roster for ours.

Can't believe the negativity I'm reading here. There isn't one SEC that wouldn't trade their roster for ours.

Dude didn't say he'd trade our roster for anybodies. He said he thinks will struggle for much of the season, then make a run. That's the same thing Cal is saying. Why do you people constantly like to prove your better fans than other people. You're not, you're just annoying.

"I trust Cal" many say. What does that even mean? Cal wanted Bamba on this team for very obvious reasons.

I don't see much of a low post presence on this team which is what Cal really likes to have.

That's why he's concerned imo. If he's not really concerned as some suggest then he ought to be.

Reactions: morgousky
"I trust Cal" many say. What does that even mean? Cal wanted Bamba on this team for very obvious reasons.

I don't see much of a low post presence on this team which is what Cal really likes to have.

That's why he's concerned imo. If he's not really concerned as some suggest then he ought to be.

It means let the man do his job. It means to trust the process. Every single year we have fans that flip the f&ck out over a damn practice. How is this any different than most teams he’s had here? We may be a bit younger than normal but the man has proven over and over and over that he knows what he’s doing with young teams. It’s his specialty. Let him do his job and trust that he knows what he’s doing. It’s like some fans just look for the negative and ignore the positive. Yeah, it was sloppy, which it always is, but we shot 45% from three and did you see the length of this team? Did you see the athleticism? Anyone that expected anything but a sloppy practice is just setting themself up for disappointment. Look at the intangibles of this team and potential, not the sloppiness. They’re going to struggle early but the potential is there. Just trust the guy and let him do his job before we pass judgement on this team and it’s place in March.

Psycalogy 101

calipari

Yeah, when your entire family spends thousands and travels with the team all over the country...I think WE is okay to say. You can call that negative, but I will call it realistic? Nothing wrong with losing some games in preparation for a tournament run.
I agree to a point but just to arbitrarily drop 8-10 losses on them before they or anyone else plays game is nuts. Everyone else will have problems too.

Reactions: Poetax
I was at the game and saw 4 or more players walking off the court limping or with cramps. We are looking at a 10 loss season IMO, but so much talent I think we will pull a run together.

We might but this scrimmage and the limping players ain’t a concrete look at how we may play in the future.

I know I'll get blasted but oh well. I use to enjoy coming here to read new info about the team but lately it's been nothing but negative post. Myself I wasn't expecting to watch the first Blue White scrimmage and see the Golden State Warriors performing out there I don't know that's just me. I enjoy watching the team grow throughout the season and turn into one of the top teams that I know it can be.

Reactions: UKBrassowTipIN
You realize I said “could be”. Nothing definitive. This team top to bottom has potential to be that, yes. The Davis team was just a wonderful “team”. But they were only 6 deep. This roster could have 11 guys that 1-11 are deeper than any team we’ve ever had. 4 potential stars in Knox, Diallo, Vanderbilt, and Washington. Then 7 other players would that are extremely talented. Young and will lose some early, but I LOVE this team

I take it that you forgot Miller.

I don't think this is an NIT team, but I'm not sure we're looking at a high seed though.

You have to shooters.
They aren’t going to the NIT unless they have several injuries. Also seeds don’t exist anymore it’s all TV ratings, why do people care about seeds like they actually mean anything?

I don't think this is an NIT team, but I'm not sure we're looking at a high seed though.

You have to shooters.
Wrong. People have this obsession that people have to be able to bomb 3's. North Carolina just won the ncaa championship last year, shooting 14% from 3 in the championship with no great shooters on the team all year. Justin Jackson was probably their best shooter and he shot like 35% from 3 and around 44% overall from the field.

Let me make it easy. If I'm guarding you in a game of 1 on 1 and you can't score on me, and every time you shoot I get your miss, do I have to rely on beating you by shooting, or how ever I can score? Defense is more important. It always has been. If you can stop the other teams strengths you can play your game with your strengths. If I can limit the amount of times you shoot, the amount of second chances you get by rebounding, common sense tells me you will score less. But If you have to rely and pray that there isn't an off night then you're in trouble. Or if you have to live and die on if they score we just have to hit more shots..you put yourself in a bad position. When you can control more parts of the game you have better odds.

Sure having good shooters is beneficial, because then you can spread the floor, utilize options, etc. But If you limit their chances, you don't have to rely on on your chances being closer to perfect.

Another point about the shooting is this team should be a beast on the boards.

Getting boards and easy put backs should offset any poor shooting we might have.

I know I'll get blasted but oh well. I use to enjoy coming here to read new info about the team but lately it's been nothing but negative post. Myself I wasn't expecting to watch the first Blue White scrimmage and see the Golden State Warriors performing out there I don't know that's just me. I enjoy watching the team grow throughout the season and turn into one of the top teams that I know it can be.

Is it negative to point a to obvious issues and discuss? Is it negative saying this team, unlike some others, doesn't look like a typical title squad? Is it negative to say winning a title with this squad seems like a long shot?

If that's negative to you, message boards aren't your thing.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I would be worried just because of the talented bodies that cannot practice and make it a competitive practice like in the past. Cal knows as the days pass without Baker and Vanderbilt, he will have to depend more on those 3 exhibition games to get them ready which has to be worrisome for such a young team.

Last edited:
Not the best of times to be a UK fan with the football team repeating what they did the second half of the year in 2014 and 2015 and the basketball team being so inexperienced. Maybe things will be better this time next month or maybe not but we’ll see.

Not the best of times to be a UK fan with the football team repeating what they did the second half of the year in 2014 and 2015 and the basketball team being so inexperienced. Maybe things will be better this time next month or maybe not but we’ll see.
Oh wahhh. Same ol shit with the football team, temper your expectations maybe? Hell they’re 5-2. I’ve seen that about 4 times in my lifetime. Last basketball team we had this young went to the championship game, and this team has more talent imo. Times are as good, if not better, than the norm. Wake up.

Reactions: KYFOSSIL and Poetax
No. I mean Vargas played almost as much as him. Have to draw a line somewhere.

Check again, Kyle played almost 12 min per game played in all 40 games, hit over 43% from the 3 line, and averaged 5 ppg. Vargas, 6 min per game, averaged 0.8 ppg. He was valuable cog on that team.

Reactions: drcats2013
The ESPN announcers for the scrimmage brought up the NIT first round loss to Robert Morris in ‘13 a few times, even showed some clips. What they and other analysts conveniently failto mention every time the ‘13 season is discussed is that if 7 footer Noel doesn’t go down with a season ending injury in the Florida game Kentucky goes to at least the NCAA Sweet 16 that year, IMO.

Dykes didn’t fail to mention that Noel got injured. First time they brought up the 2012-2013 team Dykes pointed out immediately that team would’ve gone to the tournament had Noel not gotten injured.

That's a good point about this team having 8 five star recruits. Absolutely no way that this team could go to the NIT with so many 5* recruits. With that many big time recruits it will be a great year
lol....ok.

Yeah it’s actually a great time to be a uk fan. So our football team kinda sucks ... so what ? We’re a basketball school (so to speak) of course I follow and support the football team but they’ve historically been mediocre / below average . So crappy 2 win-6 ish win seasons have become the norm.
Kentucky basketball is the bread and butter and even tho I think this team may “struggle” early and maybe even not make the title game . Hell maybe not make the EE ... it’s still an awesome run we’re on. We know based on the last 10 years if we’re “down”. We don’t be down long. This team is easily a S16 team. I’ll take that knowing some guys will inevitably come back setting up for an AWESOME season next year with who we are probably bringing in.

So ya , pretty good time to be a UK fan. Just because we’re not always winning a title doesn’t mean it’s not fun to follow the team , support them and discuss with other like minded UK fans

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT