ADVERTISEMENT

Cal press conference: "I'm overrated as a recruiter"

My outside perspective is that Cal sells UK as a pit-stop to the NBA, and that he expects recruits to come in and treat their time at UK as a job where they'll work incredibly hard. I don't know a ton of 18 year olds (and their parents) to whom that message is all that appealing, especially if they're top tier recruits who can be successful anywhere. If anything, it seems like it would appeal to recruits who no one else thinks is a potential 1AD (like Green, Herro, Diallo, Briscoe, etc.), which usually means recruits in the 15 - 50 range. And because Cal is selling those guys on getting to the NBA after one year, a bunch of them are disappointed when that doesn't happen, and they think staying another year at UK isn't what they signed up for.

It's the worst outcome - good (not great) players who want to leave after 1 year no matter what.

Yeah, going on two BILLION dollars includes a lot of those good (not great) players....

He wasn’t overrated for the first 5 years at UK.
What happened?

Cal told em I'll get you their (NBA) in a year. Other coaches wouldn't so they lost out.
Now other coaches using the same pitch but also putting the icing on top with money, houses, loans etc.

Money etc is nice and all but who cares about chump change like that over 4 years when you could have millions after a year. That's what Cal was selling at first.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Oh, an if Cal is slipping so bad in recruiting the top 5 guys and it's showing in the ends of season results of last 3 years, which are round of 32, elite 8, and sweet 16 then what the phuck is coach K doing? He's had MULTIPLE top 5 guys and the most stacked rosters each of the last 3 seasons. And his tournament results are the exact same as ours the last 3 years.
Yes they humiliated us and it hurt. That's what most people's problems are now. And as I've said before, with the insane run we went on 2010-2015 the only way to go was down. We're in lull. It happened to K, Roy, and everything worked out for them. I have the utmost confidence we are coming out of this lull and are going to have a special season still. Wishful thinking? Possibly.

Oh, an if Cal is slipping so bad in recruiting the top 5 guys and it's showing in the ends of season results of last 3 years, which are round of 32, elite 8, and sweet 16 then what the phuck is coach K doing? He's had MULTIPLE top 5 guys and the most stacked rosters each of the last 3 seasons. And his tournament results are the exact same as ours the last 3 years.
Yes they humiliated us and it hurt. That's what most people's problems are now. And as I've said before, with the insane run we went on 2010-2015 the only way to go was down. We're in lull. It happened to K, Roy, and everything worked out for them. I have the utmost confidence we are coming out of this lull and are going to have a special season still. Wishful thinking? Possibly.
Dukes tournament results may be the same as ours the past 3 years.....but...I think you are forgetting that they won our title the year before that. Oh, and another one that should have been ours in 2010.

He’s a top recruiter and history proves it. Had he said he’s overrated as a coach I’d been on board. Never been a fan of his coaching style and never will.

Dukes tournament results may be the same as ours the past 3 years.....but...I think you are forgetting that they won our title the year before that. Oh, and another one that should have been ours in 2010.
Oh no, I certainly didn't forget buddy. A freak shooting night cost us in 2010. A couple bad calls got us beat in 2015. For the record, everyone was talking about the slippage the last 3 years and that's what I was addressing.
We got NIT'ed in 2013, they got Lehighed and Mercered in the sound rd twice. We have double them in final fours in this timeframe. More tournament wins ect. But that 2010 duke title was a senior Laden team and not one and dones. Of course we would all take another title but they're def no outperforming us with all factors considered.

Reactions: mapcatfan
Whenever you go into a tournament usually the best team of the tournament is given odds in the 30%s.

Assuming we were the best team in 10,12 and 15........we won exactly how many we should have been expected to win.

Oh no, I certainly didn't forget buddy. A freak shooting night cost us in 2010. A couple bad calls got us beat in 2015. For the record, everyone was talking about the slippage the last 3 years and that's what I was addressing.
We got NIT'ed in 2013, they got Lehighed and Mercered in the sound rd twice. We have double them in final fours in this timeframe. More tournament wins ect. But that 2010 duke title was a senior Laden team and not one and dones. Of course we would all take another title but they're def no outperforming us with all factors considered.
Agree to disagree brother, I think they are indeed outperforming us all things considered.

Reactions: michaeluk26
We are replacing 85% of our team most likely. They better be Wall and MKG in order to have a great season

Not hard to understand.
It's not hard to understand thst Cal always, and I mean always get recruits after the fall signing period. It's asinine to believe he wont. LoOK what happened today, edwards reclassified shaking up the top 5, things like this happen all the time. The sky ain't falling, it will be alright. Need your hand held?

Cal told em I'll get you their (NBA) in a year. Other coaches wouldn't so they lost out.
Now other coaches using the same pitch but also putting the icing on top with money, houses, loans etc.

Money etc is nice and all but who cares about chump change like that over 4 years when you could have millions after a year. That's what Cal was selling at first.

This exactly

Yep exactly, we are in a funk. I also believe we will win our way out of the funk. Duke got our 2015 bs title, beat us by 30+ this year. We are salty, but i bet cal is more so...! 2010-2015 was special, but damn there is alot of bs in there as well. I think this team hasnt had 1 game where they shot the ball lights as a team. Confidence works in strange ways ive heard lol

Heres some advice to Cal, Tell the kids what they want to hear. Jesus christ every other coach does and then uses Cals "honest approach" to recruit negatively against him.

Cal " I can't promise you playing time you have to earn it"

Every other coach "We will give you 30 shots and 40 minutes a game" Then they get to campus and learn that was just a recruiting pitch to get them there.

The difference? The other coaches are getting top players and Cal is not. Would anyone here really be mad if Cal promised Zion/RJ/Wiseman/Carey whatever they wanted and we got them? No

Exactly. I really don't give a shit about these kids and their futures. I need them to get the program to win now.
Like they don't do the same thing at this point?
Come on...

ah, team turmoil, the memories...what could of been if Rondo and Bradley didn't ban* ,err um the door. That was effed up.
Btw josh smith is in China burning it up.
Like they say,

For the record, I mentioned 2004 to illustrate that we should be concerned (and that not all Top 10 players are created equal or guarantees success). However, I don’t think this is defcon-5. I think this just a blip when we look back at the Calipari era. He will figure this out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT